• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Alcohol Policy

Started by vu72, June 18, 2012, 11:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

As I indicated in the "Class of 2012 Football Roster Posted" thread, I wrote to President Heckler regarding the issue of alcohol on campus and in particular at tailgating parties prior to football games.  I said that he would respond and he did!
Here is what I wrote:

Dear President Heckler,

First let me say how happy I am with all your work so far at Valpo.  As an active member of the Alumni it is a pleasure to see Valpo in the news and moving forward on many fronts.   

My email tonight concerns alcohol policy on the campus.  As you may be aware, there is a very active fan board on the web wherein "all things Valpo" are discussed and debated with particular interest in sports but also covering everything from faculty to the renovations at the Chapel.  It can be found at www.valpofanzone.com

There has been a rather spirited discussion concerning the football team and all of us on the Board are looking forward to the continued improvement in the program.  As a former football player is it very good to see progress after a pretty embarrassing period.

Many have asked about tailgating activities at games and much discussion has followed concerning how nice it would be for an of age adult to be able to open a beer without fear of reprisal or worse.  It seems to many of us that the current dry policy has gone to far and I know you have seen fit to change it or modify it on occasion, like the 150th party, for example.

Out of curiosity I went to the Notre Dame site to see what their policy might be and found a very good article which was published in their student newspaper.  It agrees with the published university policy found elsewhere:  http://oade.nd.edu/assets/12157/nd_alcohol_policy_and_indiana_state_law.pdf

It seems only reasonable that adults, be they either students, parents or just fans, should be able to consume alcohol at Valpo football games.  I am writing to ask that you and the Board take a fresh look at this policy and how it might be viewed in the community.  Perhaps a more welcoming policy might also encourage the community to visit campus and fill up those stands!

It has been an incredible year in athletics and I'm very excited about this coming year as well. I think Mark LaBarbera has done a fantastic job all around!

I hope to see you the next time I get back to campus, perhaps this coming Homecoming.

In the meantime, please accept my best wishes for continued success and...GO VALPO!!

Blessing,

And here is what he wrote:

Thanks for your email, and for your suggestion. We continue to review and revise our alcohol policy, most recently in spring 2012. At this point, however, we intend to maintain the ban on alcohol related to sporting events. As you may know, mixing alcohol and athletics is a subject of spirited debate on many campuses, no pun intended. The Board has been clear in its policy that it sides with those institutions who believe that alcohol and sporting events are not a good mix, and I concur with the Board's position on this issue, even while I have supported easing those rules for special events like Homecoming and outside rentals that occur in the Union and are not primarily student events.

I realize that fans, like yourself, have a different opinion and I respect your views. And with all due respect and understanding, I plan to continue on our same course for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for all that you and the Valpo fans do to support the Crusaders, especially Crusader football. I know Coach Carlson deeply appreciates your support as well, as do our players.

I look forward to seeing you back in the stands this fall.

Go Valpo!

Mark
Mark A. Heckler, Ph.D.

President

Valparaiso University

I suggested that others write and continue to feel that alumni who care and express concerns will be heard, especially by this President.  Keep writing!  Preasure from alumni and supporters has its effects.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

I believe I speak for bbtds and myself, when I say that I do appreciate the pun, intentional or not.

A well-written letter, and personal too.  I might not agree with it, but at least he has and is given it thought.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Thanks for posting the reply, 72.  The Prez is a very good communicator;  he makes it a point of personalizing email replies and obviously has a sense of humor.  I noted that in an email I sent him on another issue unrelated to sports.  Though I am sure the door may be open a crack to allow for change, his letter seems to make it pretty clear that, for now, it's dry Saturday afternoons in the Fall    :(

covufan

Nice to get a personal response.  I also appreciated the pun! ;D

VU75

"Whenever the devil harasses you, seek the company of men or drink more, or joke and talk nonsense, or do some other merry thing. Sometimes we must drink more, sport, recreate ourselves, and even sin a little to spite the devil, so that we leave him no place for troubling our consciences with trifles. We are conquered if we try too conscientiously not to sin at all. So when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to.

Martin Luther

vu72

Quote from: VU75 on June 18, 2012, 05:52:15 PM
"Whenever the devil harasses you, seek the company of men or drink more, or joke and talk nonsense, or do some other merry thing. Sometimes we must drink more, sport, recreate ourselves, and even sin a little to spite the devil, so that we leave him no place for troubling our consciences with trifles. We are conquered if we try too conscientiously not to sin at all. So when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to.

Martin Luther

:clap: :clap: :clap: Now, copy past and send to every member of the Board!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

I like the no alcohol stance.  Besides, if the football is that bad that you need to drink before hand to enjoy/get through it, why even bother going?

setshot

The final solution to the alcohol debate is: DROP FOOTBALL! ;D

valpo04

Quote from: sectionee on June 18, 2012, 11:03:58 PM
I like the no alcohol stance.  Besides, if the football is that bad that you need to drink before hand to enjoy/get through it, why even bother going?

Who said it has anything to do with the quality of the team?

You don't enjoy having an alcoholic beverage before the game, others do.  Why shouldn't they be able to if they are responsible adults and they don't infringe on you?

sectionee

I'm not saying they shouldn't, I like the policy how it is. I don't understand (never have), but at the same time don't hold against, why people have to drink to have a good time.  Unfortunately not everyone is a responsible adult at 21 years old.  I would think that since they can't sell it in the stadium, that as much would be consumed as possible before hand.  But this might be my feelings because my friends who enjoy these types of drinks can't seem to do so in moderation.   

Also, that is a pretty big IF when referring to responsible adults at the age of 21.  :-X

covufan

Quote from: sectionee on June 19, 2012, 09:13:52 AM
I'm not saying they shouldn't, I like the policy how it is. I don't understand (never have), but at the same time don't hold against, why people have to drink to have a good time.  Unfortunately not everyone is a responsible adult at 21 years old.  I would think that since they can't sell it in the stadium, that as much would be consumed as possible before hand.  But this might be my feelings because my friends who enjoy these types of drinks can't seem to do so in moderation.   

Also, that is a pretty big IF when referring to responsible adults at the age of 21.  :-X
There are some that probably have to drink to have a good time.  For most other responsible adults, it is nice and refreshing while having a good time to enjoy a nice adult beverage of choice.  I don't have a glass of wine or beer with a nice dinner to make the dinner enjoyable.  I have the wine or beer to complement the dinner.

When in the company of good friends, I find it nice to be able to break bread and enjoy the fellowship of those that are around me.  I don't think alcohol is a need for a good time - it just enhances it with moderation. 

milanmiracle

Can't say I am surprised by the decision, but it's ridiculous. Could you make this feel more like a high school game? Probably not...I'll bite my tounge for the rest of my thoughts.

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu84v2

My wife and I both went to Valparaiso and moved to Lawrence, KS last year.   We have seen mixed and positive outcomes from relaxing alcohol policies related to sporting events in Lawrence.

Mixed - Football (Not Kansas' strong suit).  There is a lot of tailgating and outdoor house parties before football games.  I have a pretty relaxed view of people being able to do what they want, but you do see a lot of drunkeness and a big mess before games (especially night games).    If Pres. Heckler thought he would have a "mini-version" of that, there is no way it would happen and my guess is that the city would not support it.

Positive - Basketball is the more interesting example.  When Kansas wins games in the latter part of the NCAAs (regional final and beyond), the city closes off six blocks of the main street in downtown and implements a temporary open liqour law (i.e.  you can buy from any place on Mass St. and go out and celebrate).  This would never be supported in Valparaiso (as I guess Pres. Heckler and the city would never support it), but maybe it should.  The key to all of this working is the responsibility of the students.  From what we saw here, the students are rowdy - but they do not destroy property or each other.  The police are there solely to keep people and property safe (and they get volunteers from the neighboring smaller towns).  Valparaiso will never do it, but things like this really create a close bond between the university and the town - families and older people come out for the celbrations.  There were 25,000-30,000 people when Kansas beat Ohio State in the national semifinals.  Spontaneity is also the key to having great events  like this - a "controlled" celebration two days later would never work. 

My point is that spontaneity and freedom, coupled with responsible people, are required for building more excitement around college sports events.  I would advocate allowing alcohol for tailgating (as the original author suggests) and considering relaxed measures that increase spirit.  The key is that the unveristy (with the town) need to allow the event to happen, not control the event.

Ralph

Is there any truth to the poll that showed that Alaskan Amber beer was the top choice of VU juniors and seniors? ???

covufan

Quote from: Ralph on July 01, 2012, 01:05:37 PM
Is there any truth to the poll that showed that Alaskan Amber beer was the top choice of VU juniors and seniors? ???
When I was an undergrad, my favorite beer was free and cold!  I'm sure most college juniors and seniors are not quite at the point in their lives, both palate and wallet, to choose Alaskan Amber just yet.

vu72

Just got the following email from Valpo.  Note the "beer tent" on Saturday of Homecoming.  President Heckler is true to his word concerning "easing those rules for special events"

Here's the message:

Please mark your calendars and plan to attend Valpo's Homecoming and Reunion Celebration 2012! This year's theme, "Ignite the Crusader Spirit", commemorates what it means to be a Valpo Crusader and the many facets of Valparaiso University life. From service trips, Chapel ministry, and student collaboration to athletics, campus organizations, and Greek life, our Valpo journeys lead to lasting memories and lifelong friendships. Being a Valpo Crusader is a personalized experience, made up of many paths. Come back to campus and join the Valpo community in celebrating with exciting new events, as well as traditional favorites. Some highlights of the weekend will include:
•A Friday learning series, offering a variety of campus tour options and educational sessions. Lunch will feature Homer Drew, former men's basketball coach and associate director of athletics, speaking on the theme "Ignite the Crusader Spirit."
•Friday night's Crusader Kick-off, including a cook-out with music, the annual coronation of our Homecoming King and Queen (this year with kings and queens from past generations participating), and a pep rally – all concluding with a spectacular firework show.
•Saturday's pre-game Crusader Street Fair, with food, a children's activity area, a series of live musical guests, a beer tent  :cheers:, and an assortment of departmental and organizational gathering spaces.
•Saturday's football game versus Butler University, featuring a new family entertainment area.
•Saturday night reunion celebration events, with special honor given to our 50th reunion class of 1962 and our 25th reunion class of 1987.
•Sunday's traditional worship service in the magnificent Chapel of the Resurrection

vufan75

Sounds interesting and a nice change to Homecoming festivities and events. Will be interested to see how this step is received by attendees, if homecoming attendance grows due to the changes made, and if perhaps more changes to special events occur as a result. Glad to see President Heckler and the board easing some rules over time.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on July 11, 2012, 12:26:09 PM
Just got the following email from Valpo.  Note the "beer tent" on Saturday of Homecoming.  President Heckler is true to his word concerning "easing those rules for special events"

Here's the message:

Please mark your calendars and plan to attend Valpo's Homecoming and Reunion Celebration 2012! This year's theme, "Ignite the Crusader Spirit", commemorates what it means to be a Valpo Crusader and the many facets of Valparaiso University life. From service trips, Chapel ministry, and student collaboration to athletics, campus organizations, and Greek life, our Valpo journeys lead to lasting memories and lifelong friendships. Being a Valpo Crusader is a personalized experience, made up of many paths. Come back to campus and join the Valpo community in celebrating with exciting new events, as well as traditional favorites. Some highlights of the weekend will include:
•A Friday learning series, offering a variety of campus tour options and educational sessions. Lunch will feature Homer Drew, former men's basketball coach and associate director of athletics, speaking on the theme "Ignite the Crusader Spirit."
•Friday night's Crusader Kick-off, including a cook-out with music, the annual coronation of our Homecoming King and Queen (this year with kings and queens from past generations participating), and a pep rally – all concluding with a spectacular firework show.
•Saturday's pre-game Crusader Street Fair, with food, a children's activity area, a series of live musical guests, a beer tent  :cheers:, and an assortment of departmental and organizational gathering spaces.
•Saturday's football game versus Butler University, featuring a new family entertainment area.
•Saturday night reunion celebration events, with special honor given to our 50th reunion class of 1962 and our 25th reunion class of 1987.
•Sunday's traditional worship service in the magnificent Chapel of the Resurrection

What do you think, blackpanther? Would you miss the Butler at Valpo football game now?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

the beer tent was around last year too. from what i heard, it went over fairly well, even if the beer wasn't allowed to leave the fenced off area.

NuPudge

From reading these post here, I don't see this changing for a long time. I hope that they have more events that allow people to relax and have couple cold ones. Are the other school in the fb conference dry also?

VULB#62

Varies -- I just know that there was plenty of tailgating and beer at Marist.