• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon in the CIT

Started by IndyValpo, March 16, 2013, 06:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goraiders93

Santa Clara of the West Coast Conference, which has beaten Vermont and Purdue to advance to the semi finals, will play at the Nutter Center Wednesday at 9 EST. I'm starting to wonder what we will owe the CBI for all this hosting, but it's great to get our young players this extra experience, and hopefully the investment pays off next year. Different OOC competition, tournament environment, extra court time will be great for the players and the program.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 25, 2013, 11:57:19 PMI'm starting to wonder what we will owe the CBI for all this hosting
nullum gratuitum prandium.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 25, 2013, 11:57:19 PMI'm starting to wonder what we will owe the CBI for all this hosting

In 2012 an AD quoted these numbers
"The guarantees are $35,000 for first-round games, $50,000 for the quarterfinals and $75,000 per game for the semifinals and the best-of-three finals."
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/03/13/Colleges/CBI.aspx

Have you guys been getting decent crowds?

Best of luck!

Goraiders93

Sadly no with regards to the crowds. With the first four still going on at UD Arena for our first round, we had in the 2500 range. Worst all season. Last night we had about 3700. Closer to average. But for our second round we allegedly didnt have to pay because Richmond had a scheduling conflict at their home arena, which sparked my curiosity. And at the game last night, from what they were saying, it seemed certain we would be traveling Wednesday so who knows. I trust Bob Grant and BD are making the right decisions. Very proud of our young team!!

StlVUFan

According to tweets I saw last night, you guys will be hosting again.  If Wyoming had beaten W. Michigan, you'd have traveled to George Mason, but now you're hosting Santa Clara.

Goraiders93

As I mentioned initially.

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 25, 2013, 11:57:19 PM
Santa Clara of the West Coast Conference, which has beaten Vermont and Purdue to advance to the semi finals, will play at the Nutter Center Wednesday at 9 EST

StlVUFan

Sorry, I misread your last posting, thinking you were still up in the air about that.  I now realize you were up in the air about what the attendance will be tomorrow.

Don't mind me ;)

Goraiders93

Understood. The attendance rose for the second round and I'm hoping for the same Wednesday.  Being 9 on a Wednesday though we will see. I was discussing what we're paying for sure for the tourney, and I'm sure a figure will be thrown around later.

Hope my posts are appropriate anyway.  Just wanted to share some stuff for this thread.

Dayton Daily News Richmond Highlights:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/videos/sports/highlights-wright-state-vs-richmond/vwjn4/

Dayton Daily News Santa Clara Preview:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-basketball/preview-santa-clara-at-wright-state/nW4wp/

wh

Quote from: Goraiders93 on March 26, 2013, 03:58:03 PM
Sadly no with regards to the crowds. With the first four still going on at UD Arena for our first round, we had in the 2500 range. Worst all season. Last night we had about 3700. Closer to average. But for our second round we allegedly didnt have to pay because Richmond had a scheduling conflict at their home arena, which sparked my curiosity. And at the game last night, from what they were saying, it seemed certain we would be traveling Wednesday so who knows. I trust Bob Grant and BD are making the right decisions. Very proud of our young team!!

I think it's a good investment for WSU any way you consider it.  It's a nice reward for the players in a season where they exceeded anyone and everyone's expectations, it keeps your fans excited about your program and looking forward to next year, and it's good experience for a young, developing team to play (and win as it turns out) in a win-or-go-home tournament against other quality programs.  I don't know how much playing in one of these tournaments helps recruiting, but it certainly can't hurt.  It's all good.  Good luck!

agibson

Looks like the semi-final has the privilege of being broadcast on "AXS TV".  Hmmm.. channel 478?  Something tells me my package is unlikely to include it.

Must make ESPNU look pretty good.

And has the effect of pushing WSU to a 9 PM start, local time.   

wh

Ch 362 on Dish - 8p Central

Goraiders93

Santa Clara's 1-3-1 d gave us fits and their 3 point shooting from 21 (foster)  and a few others screwed us. Time for a long summer with no round ball. Here's to a stronger HL next season.