• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Keith Freeman Named Assistant Coach at Wright State

Started by valpopal, July 17, 2012, 08:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Wright State women's basketball coach Mike Bradbury has announced the hiring of former Valparaiso head coach Keith Freeman as an assistant coach for the Raiders.

"We are very excited to have Keith join our coaching staff," said Bradbury.  "To have his more than 20 years of experience on our staff will be a real asset to our program."

"I appreciate the opportunity to work with Mike Bradbury and join his staff," said Freeman.  "I'm looking forward to help build the program and compete for the Horizon League title."

http://www.wsuraiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27000&ATCLID=205500786

agibson

Wow.  Weird.  I mean, you do what you've got to do to feed your family, I'm sure.

But, is there no non-compete understanding?  Either with his severance, or not?  Or an implied understanding either among coaches or AD's?

valporun

Quote from: agibson on July 17, 2012, 09:15:03 PM
Wow.  Weird.  I mean, you do what you've got to do to feed your family, I'm sure.

But, is there no non-compete understanding?  Either with his severance, or not?  Or an implied understanding either among coaches or AD's?

You really think there would be a "no compete" clause in HL Women's Basketball? I'm just glad to hear he's coaching again, even if it means he's coaching against VU 2 or 3 times a year. Also, unless I've missed something, I don't believe Keith Freeman is married, so the move was simple, and didn't affect family members.

jack

Congrats to Keith. Could be a good fit for him. To be honest, I don't even think there's a non-compete clause in Men's NCAA basketball, especially if you're let go, and not leaving on your own free will. It's not like he'd have any inside info that would benefit Wright State, any more then we'd have inside info on the impact Keith will have on their program. After their first meeting, both teams will know all they need to know about each other for the season.

valpotx

A lateral move in regards to program, but obviously a downgrade in career.  Regardless, congrats to him, and I wish him luck!
"Don't mess with Texas"

SadersofthelostArc

swiftmutiny

Mike Bradbury? Oh yeah, I remember him. He was the one screaming obscenities so loudly at his team in the huddle that we could hear him in the chairbacks. Yikes. Best of luck Freeman.

vu72

Quote from: swiftmutiny on July 18, 2012, 06:58:37 PM
Mike Bradbury? Oh yeah, I remember him. He was the one screaming obscenities so loudly at his team in the huddle that we could hear him in the chairbacks. Yikes. Best of luck Freeman.

If that's true then Keith, who is a fine Christian man, will REALLY have a hard time there.  Obviously Keith yelled at his players, but obscenities, to young women, will make it hard for him to last.  It is unfortunate that he  didn't find something better as early indications were that there was considerable interest.  Perhaps, as some have indicated, there may be more to the story about why he was asked to resign beyond the record over the last five years.  I hope not...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Maybe Mike Bradbury saw the calculated calmness of Keith Freeman as an ingredient in his coaching staff that was sorely needed and therefore the head coach is trying to save his own job.

When trying to add that quality to your coaching staff you trust your own experience with opposing coaches, "man, I wish I had his calculated calmness in this situation" then someone telling you, "yes, I'm the calming presence you need on your coaching staff."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HorizonLeagueFan

Quote from: historyman on July 18, 2012, 08:49:02 PM
Maybe Mike Bradbury saw the calculated calmness of Keith Freeman as an ingredient in his coaching staff that was sorely needed and therefore the head coach is trying to save his own job. 

Bradbury has been at WSU for 2 years and has put together their best 2 year run in school history for women's basketball.  He has nothing to worry about with his job at WSU. 

SadersofthelostArc

Still trying to process all of this...not sure whether to  :censored: :banghead: :rotfl: :dance: :whiteflag: or just sit back and watch everything unfold.  Very mixed emotions about this news.

That said, Keith will be the head coach at WSU within two seasons. 

bbtds

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on July 18, 2012, 09:39:15 PM
Still trying to process all of this...not sure whether to  :censored: :banghead: :rotfl: :dance: :whiteflag: or just sit back and watch everything unfold.  Very mixed emotions about this news.

That said, Keith will be the head coach at WSU within two seasons. 

I assume you mean that Mike Bradbury will take another head coaching position higher up on the coaching "food" chain allowing Keith Freeman to be promoted to the head coaching position at Wright State.

SadersofthelostArc

Maybe, bbtds....can't say how it will go down, but Keith is being groomed regardless.

Pgmado

Take this with a grain of salt if you don't like the commentary, but from what I understand, it's not easy for a white male who has just been fired to get hired in women's basketball. There were options for head jobs, but this appears to be a comfortable situation where he can get back to the basics with coaching in a place he is wanted, not having to deal certain individuals who would flinch at the first sign of adversity.

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on July 19, 2012, 10:21:44 AM
Take this with a grain of salt if you don't like the commentary, but from what I understand, it's not easy for a white male who has just been fired to get hired in women's basketball. There were options for head jobs, but this appears to be a comfortable situation where he can get back to the basics with coaching in a place he is wanted, not having to deal certain individuals who would flinch at the first sign of adversity.

Dayton is not a bad place either. Correct, BigDWSU?

IndyValpo

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on July 19, 2012, 09:02:40 AM
Maybe, bbtds....can't say how it will go down, but Keith is being groomed regardless.
Keith may very well end up head coaching there, but seriously you don't groom someone who has 20+ years of head coaching experience.  My guess, unless he is there for at least 5 seasons his bad HL record at Valpo will have them look elsewhere.  He needs some time away from the last few seasons.

LaPorteAveApostle

PG, could you pleas elaborate on these "individuals"?  Was it staff, players, ath. dept.?  I feel like those of us who have followed the program need more than we were given at the time.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SadersofthelostArc

IndyValpo...maybe I should have said "coach-in-waiting" instead of using the word "groomed."