• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ok, what now?

Started by usc4valpo, November 11, 2012, 08:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slickdaddy

it would be interesting to hear from former players...what are their thoughts of the football program?Did they feel that it was used as just a source of bringing male students on campus or was there some genuine interest in winning?
As of now we can be assured of another loss tomorrow.we will have 2 wins against the worst team in football the last 3 years...not good
Moving forward if DC is still the coach maybe there are some changes he can make in other areas of the team...better defensive schemes...need to really work on special teams...alot
if he is relieved of his duties what do they look for in their next coach?

usc4valpo

Not that we would expect it, but it would be interesting to see how much a buyout would cost, and analyze the benefit itn the long run.

milanmiracle

Quote from: slickdaddy on November 16, 2012, 07:28:32 PM
it would be interesting to hear from former players...what are their thoughts of the football program?Did they feel that it was used as just a source of bringing male students on campus or was there some genuine interest in winning?
As of now we can be assured of another loss tomorrow.we will have 2 wins against the worst team in football the last 3 years...not good
Moving forward if DC is still the coach maybe there are some changes he can make in other areas of the team...better defensive schemes...need to really work on special teams...alot
if he is relieved of his duties what do they look for in their next coach?

I think the head coach and the players are doing what they can to try to win games. Of that I have no doubt. Since I can't read thoughts, I really can't tell what the AD or the administration are thinking, but I have a guess.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

I am sure the HC is doing his best with this team.  But like in business and life, sometimes your best is not good enough.

FWalum

Quote from: laura on November 15, 2012, 09:22:28 PMAnd stop questioning the ability of the players. The are as good as most teams in the PFL( look at their Bios).

Since Laura likes bios, maybe we should have hired this guy...

At School X, Coach began the program from scratch prior to the 2004 season.  He led his team to an undefeated regular season in 2007 and a Mid-States Football Association-Mideast League championship.  His team's offense led all of college football averaging more than 50 points per game, while leading NAIA with more than 550 yards of total offense in that same season.

In six years at School X, he produced five All-Americans, seven Academic All-Americans, and more than 90 All-Conference performers.  In 2009 he was named the NAIA Independent Coach of the Year while earning MSFA-Mideast League Coach of the Year honors in 2007.  He also earned American Football Coaches Association Region II and American Football Monthly/Schutt Sports NAIA National Coach of the Year honors in 2007.

Prior to his stint at School X, Coach spent eight seasons as the head football coach at School Y.  There he also began the intercollegiate football program, leading the school to 11 victories in 1998.  That same season he led that team  to the NAIA semifinals and a number three ranking nationally in the final NAIA poll.  He also led School Y to the Conference championship in 2001, the same season he was named the league's Coach of the Year.

What do you think?

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Bios mean absolutely nothing if based on HS sports when relating to college.  It all depends on where you play (state/city/division) and who against in HS.  I could have thrown no-hitters against the small 1A or 2A schools in HS, but we were 4A and played only 4A and 5A programs with several players of top 25 college talent, so you end up with an ERA that is more normal. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

slickdaddy

this offensive scheme is not the answer.We need to run the ball.Have hutson and ali el 1-2 punch running.When we keep going with this quick hit pass offense and it does not work we give the other team the ball too quickly,and we cannot keep up with this team score for score

milanmiracle

Quote from: slickdaddy on November 17, 2012, 12:57:13 PM
this offensive scheme is not the answer.We need to run the ball.Have hutson and ali el 1-2 punch running.When we keep going with this quick hit pass offense and it does not work we give the other team the ball too quickly,and we cannot keep up with this team score for score

Just wait till he gets players to run his system, then you'll see....oh wait that should have happened already.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

this sounds a whole lot like Northwestern in the late 70's and early 80's when they 0-11, 0-10-1 and 1-10 seasons.  John Pont was the head coach and athletic director, and I remember his post-games quotes..."we are inconsistent on offense, we were inconsistent, but we looked great getting that touchdown in the fourth quarter! (after being behind 42-0 or scores like that - to Minnesota and Purdue, not  Michigan and Ohio State)

Now you hear Carlson, we are inconsistent, we need to hit the weight room, we need to learn form this,etc. Pont and Venturi all over again.  The Sagarin impovement is going from #246, dead last for 2 years to #245. That is not good.

usc4valpo

Wow, this is going to be an interesting 2 weeks in the ARC and Heritage Hall (USC) offices.  Could be seeing a clean sweep to start fresh and clean out the rot.

usc4valpo

Quote from: FWalum on November 17, 2012, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: laura on November 15, 2012, 09:22:28 PMAnd stop questioning the ability of the players. The are as good as most teams in the PFL( look at their Bios).
Since Laura likes bios, maybe we should have hired this guy... At School X, Coach began the program from scratch prior to the 2004 season. He led his team to an undefeated regular season in 2007 and a Mid-States Football Association-Mideast League championship. His team's offense led all of college football averaging more than 50 points per game, while leading NAIA with more than 550 yards of total offense in that same season. In six years at School X, he produced five All-Americans, seven Academic All-Americans, and more than 90 All-Conference performers. In 2009 he was named the NAIA Independent Coach of the Year while earning MSFA-Mideast League Coach of the Year honors in 2007. He also earned American Football Coaches Association Region II and American Football Monthly/Schutt Sports NAIA National Coach of the Year honors in 2007. Prior to his stint at School X, Coach spent eight seasons as the head football coach at School Y. There he also began the intercollegiate football program, leading the school to 11 victories in 1998. That same season he led that team to the NAIA semifinals and a number three ranking nationally in the final NAIA poll. He also led School Y to the Conference championship in 2001, the same season he was named the league's Coach of the Year. What do you think?

I get your point FWalum, very well put.  The problem is not just the coaching, but perhaps this coching position is like putting a square peg in a round hole, i.e., it was just not a good job fit.  I am sure Carlson has personal positive qualities but it may not be the right job for him.  You see the same type of issue in business every day.

VULB#62

USC4Valpo, this is part of your quote from the Morehead thread:

"Students forking out $40K to play football deserve better."

You make a very valid point.  There is an implied compact between Valpo and every student.  The student pays his/her fees and in return the university promises, to the best of its ability, to provide the best educational value for those fees.  In the case of non-scholarship football, these students have been recruited, with stated and implied promises, to come to Valpo to get that education, but also to play football and represent the university to the public.  A chemistry major will never publicly represent the university on such a prominent platform as a Saturday afternoon football game where the final score is broadcast in the national media. Those FB players are paying handsomely for that opportunity, and likewise, the university is obligated to ensure that, in this additional arena outside the classroom, they provide the best value for the fees collected.  Let's go back to that chemistry student.  If a chemistry instructor hired three years ago to improve the academic environment in that discipline actually winds up taking that department into further decline in quantum leaps, would the university give him/her tenure?  I doubt that person would be around longer than the minimum three years. The academic reputation would be tarnished.

usc4valpo

VULB#62, your analysis was bang on and objective without the emotional fluff.

Valparaiso University has great people and is a wonderful university.  They need to do the right thing to ensure a quality experience for all.  A serious change to improve football is imperative, and if a change does not occur then the program should be scrapped.

I hate to see Valpo scrap football, but maintaining the status quo is embarrassing and needs to be changed now.  3 years of this is not promising and not progress.

VULB#62

FROM THE AP on ESPN.COM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Derek Dooley is out [immediately] at Tennessee.

The university announced the anticipated firing Sunday after Dooley posted the storied program's longest run of consecutive losing seasons  [2010, 2011 and 2012.... hmmmmm] in over a century.

Dooley, 44, had a 15-21 record that included an 0-15 mark against Top 25 teams. Dooley was 4-19 in Southeastern Conference competition during his three-year tenure and had lost 14 of his last 15 league games. .....Dooley had four years left on his contract, which includes a $5 million buyout.  ....Tennessee (4-7, 0-7 SEC) must beat Kentucky on Saturday to avoid going winless in SEC play for the first time in school history. . .......Tennessee's 41-18 loss to Vanderbilt on Saturday guaranteed the Volunteers their third consecutive losing season, which marks the first time they have finished below .500 in three straight years since 1909-11.

Granted the PFL is not the SEC and the PFL is not in BCS scholarship fantasyland, but here is an illustration of one school stopping the bleeding before there is no blood left.  Both Davidson and Campbell did the same only even earlier this season.   :twocents:

usc4valpo

USC is in a similar situation, and there are many who want Kiffin out.  His personality has not been ideal, and his coaching below par.  However, he also has been coaching under strict NCAA sanctions, and he apparantly has a great recruiting class coming up.

Auburn is in a similar position with Chizik, despite buying a national title 2 years ago.

IndyValpo

At School X, Coach began the program from scratch prior to the 2004 season.  He led his team to an undefeated regular season in 2007 and a Mid-States Football Association-Mideast League championship.  His team's offense led all of college football averaging more than 50 points per game, while leading NAIA with more than 550 yards of total offense in that same season.

In six years at School X, he produced five All-Americans, seven Academic All-Americans, and more than 90 All-Conference performers.  In 2009 he was named the NAIA Independent Coach of the Year while earning MSFA-Mideast League Coach of the Year honors in 2007.  He also earned American Football Coaches Association Region II and American Football Monthly/Schutt Sports NAIA National Coach of the Year honors in 2007.

Prior to his stint at School X, Coach spent eight seasons as the head football coach at School Y.  There he also began the intercollegiate football program, leading the school to 11 victories in 1998.  That same season he led that team  to the NAIA semifinals and a number three ranking nationally in the final NAIA poll.  He also led School Y to the Conference championship in 2001, the same season he was named the league's Coach of the Year.

What do you think?

You know when games begin to be played on paper, then Carlson is the man.  I don't think anyone here would argue that on paper he was a good hire.  Actual results wise he has been a disaster and needs to be removed.

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 18, 2012, 01:20:48 PM
FROM THE AP on ESPN.COM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Derek Dooley is out [immediately] at Tennessee.

The university announced the anticipated firing Sunday after Dooley posted the storied program's longest run of consecutive losing seasons  [2010, 2011 and 2012.... hmmmmm] in over a century.

Dooley, 44, had a 15-21 record that included an 0-15 mark against Top 25 teams. Dooley was 4-19 in Southeastern Conference competition during his three-year tenure and had lost 14 of his last 15 league games. .....Dooley had four years left on his contract, which includes a $5 million buyout.  ....Tennessee (4-7, 0-7 SEC) must beat Kentucky on Saturday to avoid going winless in SEC play for the first time in school history. . .......Tennessee's 41-18 loss to Vanderbilt on Saturday guaranteed the Volunteers their third consecutive losing season, which marks the first time they have finished below .500 in three straight years since 1909-11.

Granted the PFL is not the SEC and the PFL is not in BCS scholarship fantasyland, but here is an illustration of one school stopping the bleeding before there is no blood left.  Both Davidson and Campbell did the same only even earlier this season.   :twocents:

I know where you are going with this, and I have to say I agree. However comparing Tennessee football vs. Valpo football is akin to comparing crossing the street in your neighborhood with going to the moon. First and foremost, Valpo players must attend class. They don't bother with that at UT. Also, the expectations are slightly different there than at Valpo. They are dreaming of national titles, and Valpos dreaming of being .500. Beyond that, UT has a brand in their football program that they want to protect, and whatever they need to do to protect that brand will be done. There a lot more money and influence in big time SEC football than non scholarship 1-AA football.

Again I get your point, but Valpos much closer to IU VS. UT.

FWalum

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 18, 2012, 02:10:26 PM

What do you think?

You know when games begin to be played on paper, then Carlson is the man.  I don't think anyone here would argue that on paper he was a good hire.  Actual results wise he has been a disaster and needs to be removed.
I would suggest that in order to receive those awards he didn't just coach those teams on paper. I also realize that not every coach is suited for every situation just not sure the amateur "coaches" are the best judges of our situation.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

So who would be ideal to make this decision?  I also think the university should listen to the alumni base.  I may also be an "amateur coach" but I do know that 3 years with a 2-31 record is an unsatisfactory review where an employee should be replaced.

LaPorteAveApostle

Anybody here know how long his contract is?

If it's just speculation, then whatever, but if someone with insider info knows how long, and/or buyout details...that would go a long way to knowing.

clearly performance doesn't merit keeping him, but other factor$ might be at play...

could be worse:  we could have jerry kill:

http://ajbarker82.tumblr.com/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 18, 2012, 08:47:19 PM

If it's just speculation, then whatever, but if someone with insider info knows how long, and/or buyout details...that would go a long way to knowing.

clearly performance doesn't merit keeping him, but other factor$ might be at play...

Where in the heck did you find that? As a long time "gopher" I was there when he was hired from Northern Illinois.  Not saying that Coach Carlson is anything like Kill, it may be the case however where his coaching techniques just don't match with today's kids.  I certainly don't know... 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on November 18, 2012, 09:13:44 PMWhere in the heck did you find that?
Over at MGoBlog they are having a good time deconstructing it.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Wow.  Interesting read.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on November 18, 2012, 09:55:02 PM

Wow.  Interesting read.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8650223/minnesota-gophers-aj-barker-quits-alleges-mistreatment-jerry-kill

usc4valpo

This was a very interesting read.  I  would like to hear the other side of ther story.  This is sounding similar to the Mike Leach situation at Texas Tech with Craig James' son.