• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

D3 football playoffs

Started by setshot, November 19, 2012, 06:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Two schools that are near and dear to me (JHS,did graduate work there,and Wittenberg,one of my kids went there) are playing in the2nd. round of the D3 football tournament. Witt plays at Hobart and the Bluejays are at Mt.Union. Easy win for the Tigers,but poor old JHS will have its hands full. Now if VU played at the D3 level maybe ------------ oh hell it will never happen. Go Tigers and Bluejays! :thumbsup:

vu72

As you well know setshot, the playing  level we're at wouldn't make the D3 playoffs, not even close.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I'm a great proponent of D-III (kids went to NESCAC schools Middlebury and Colby), but I believe a school like JHU at the D-III level can opt up to D-I for one special sport (in their case Lacrosse).  Other D-IIIs play D-I hockey but stay D-III in all others.  It doesn't work in reverse as I understand it.  A team that opts for D-I like Valpo cannot drop down for one sport.  The best it can do is go D-IAA in football and there they luckily (or in Valpo's case, sadly) can do it without scholarships or minimum capacity stadiums in the PFL.  Without the PFL, VU would have dropped FB years ago.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2012, 02:44:52 PMbut I believe a school like JHU at the D-III level can opt up to D-I for one special sport (in their case Lacrosse).  Other D-IIIs play D-I hockey but stay D-III in all others.

Is that why there are so many D-II schools in Minnesota and only one D-1 program, U of Minnesota (B1G)? Because the D-II programs in MN can play D-1 in one sport, hockey, the favorite sport in MN, and leave the sports that aren't as popular, basketball, football, baseball, in D-II. That doesn't seem fair since D-1 programs can't play down in one sport (Valpo in football) while D-II can play up in one sport (Minnesota State-Mankato in hockey). Not fair at all in my view.

valporun

bbtds, not as many universities/colleges would have the interest in hockey, much like field hockey, lacrosse, water polo, and such, so to make sure there are enough programs, they had to allow the division jumps for the smaller sports of the niche variety.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on November 21, 2012, 12:35:46 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2012, 02:44:52 PMbut I believe a school like JHU at the D-III level can opt up to D-I for one special sport (in their case Lacrosse).  Other D-IIIs play D-I hockey but stay D-III in all others.

Is that why there are so many D-II schools in Minnesota and only one D-1 program, U of Minnesota (B1G)? Because the D-II programs in MN can play D-1 in one sport, hockey, the favorite sport in MN, and leave the sports that aren't as popular, basketball, football, baseball, in D-II. That doesn't seem fair since D-1 programs can't play down in one sport (Valpo in football) while D-II can play up in one sport (Minnesota State-Mankato in hockey). Not fair at all in my view.

I checked out some of the D-II programs in Minnesota on a site just for D-II that has pics of all the D-II stadiums (It's called D2) -- some of the facilities put D-IAA programs (and, we won't even think about VU) to shame.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 29, 2012, 08:45:49 AM

I checked out some of the D-II programs in Minnesota on a site just for D-II that has pics of all the D-II stadiums (It's called D2) -- some of the facilities put D-IAA programs (and, we won't even think about VU) to shame.

The Minnesots Vikings go about 70 miles south to Mankato for training camp, correct?

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on November 29, 2012, 08:49:19 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 29, 2012, 08:45:49 AM

The Minnesots Vikings go about 70 miles south to Mankato for training camp, correct?
[/b]

That's correct.  As for the idea of schools moving up in a sport like hockey, it's allowed because their isn't any big money available or sought out. Same for LaCrosse.  The idea of having to play D1 in all sports has exclusively to do with basketball.  There is no revenue sharing in football, that goes to their conferences and individual schools.  Basketball is where the big tv money comes into play, so if you want to be part of March Madness, and the accompanying big money potential, then you need to be D1 in everything.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

vu72, with all the conference jumping and the incoming 4-team playoff system, I can only imagine soon enough you'll see some kind of 32-team playoff system with a revenue sharing plan in store for NCAA D-I FBS football, and that will mean either the bowls as we know them are no more, or the teams that lose in the early rounds will get another game in one of the bowls that would still exist.