• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

If Freeman doesn't win next year then...

Started by vu72, April 14, 2011, 01:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

there is clearly a problem.

I don't know about all the players he has coming in but here are two:

Mallory Ladd, an Indiana All Star who finished second in the Miss Basketball voting

Jessica Carr, who is also an Indiana All Star, and has been named the Player of the Year for the second year in a row by the Noblesville County Times.

I know he has a couple of other All State honorees on the current squad.  Last year was a mess for a few reasons including injuries and youth.  I think it is time for our women's team to step it up!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

KL31NY

I obviously don't know his contract status or job security might be like, but if Valpo stays down in 2011-12, it can probably do nothing but hurt his chances to stay on as coach. Something has to happen next year (during or after the season) to give everyone related to this program the confidence that the team is heading in the right direction.

To quote the great Steve Spurrier: If you want to be successful, you have to do what everybody else does and do it better—or you have to do it differently.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valporun

I don't know how much his coaching has to do with it, but for the most part, since their last postseason trip in 2004, Keith Freeman's coaching staff hasn't been consistent. I mean before all of these current changes, his most consistent assistant coach was Steve Bruce, who is now at IUSB. After Steve left for IUSB, the coaching changes trickled down, and everyone started to leave for either better jobs, or places where they could get some more responsibility and advancement. Sure, maybe most of the problem was money, but I don't want to dwell on that aspect. I think in most of our situation, besides the injuries and youth, many of our problems might be that we really don't have the height to dominate inside, the floor leadership in our point guard, and the lack of assistant coaches that can really coach our deficiencies? I want Coach Freeman to succeed, but I think it might mean that he has to ask a lot of more of his assistant coaches to coach, and not worry so much about where the pastures are greener?

Sure, vu72, we can run the laundry list of recruits and their high school accomplishments, but that's just what those accomplishments do, start the laundry list of expectations that some of these kids might never had to accept at their high schools because their conference opponents might not have been very competitive, and most of their deficiencies in offense or defense might be due to the inexperience/lack of talent in the opposing player they were matched up with. I honestly feel that I can't expect this team to do anything more than work on their game, win games, or find out what areas they need to improve on, and put in that extra work in practice/off-season to adjust those things they need to change, whether it is a fundamental, or something they need to do in Freeman's schemes to get on the court.

vu72

these are Indiana All Stars, evluated by a bunch of people at the top 40 workouts etc.  These kids are not all conference at a 1A school playing against schools with 150 kids, they come from big schools and have played for big school state championship type teams.

Look, I like Keith and respect him very much as a person.  sometime style is a problem and perhaps his style no longer works with today's kids--I don't know.

I also can't comment intelligently on the coaching staff other than to say that Greg Kirby has been on the staff for five full years and was the head coach at Valpo High for 16 years.  No lack of experience there.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

As I've said in the past, I believe the two players mentioned here will come in next season and make an emmediate impact. They bring to the team and the table, much we've been lacking. Mallory Ladd is the complete player - her inside game is about as good as I've seen, her scoring ability is reflected in her stats, and she is a great leader and motivator. Jessica Carr brings ball control, leadership, scoring ability, and her floor vision is impressive. She keeps her teammates engaged, and excels in assist. Both these players are a joy to watch, and very personable. I think their temmates will love playing with them, which was another issue I felt we had last season. It just looked like the chemestry wasn't there. I've seen on here many times that Freeman doesn't like to give a lot of minutes to his Freshman. I think you'll see that change in 2011 - 2012.

rlh

I am told that Skyler Gick may be done.  Her back problems have gotten too painful for her to play.  The university is trying to get her a medical hardship so that her scholarship does not count against them, at least that's what I've been told.  I'm sorry, I thought she really came along late last year and was on the verge of becoming the point guard we thought we were getting when she came here.  This is really too bad for a very personalble young lady.

jack

That is a shame if true. I've watched Skyler play for quite a few years now. She's always been fun to watch. I wasn't aware of any medical issues she was having, but felt that we weren't seeing her best at Valpo. I hope she gets through this ok. I would have loved to see her compete with the incoming players next season.

dcvalpo

Quote from: vu72 on April 14, 2011, 01:29:39 PM
there is clearly a problem.

I don't know about all the players he has coming in but here are two:

Mallory Ladd, an Indiana All Star who finished second in the Miss Basketball voting

Jessica Carr, who is also an Indiana All Star, and has been named the Player of the Year for the second year in a row by the Noblesville County Times.

I know he has a couple of other All State honorees on the current squad.  Last year was a mess for a few reasons including injuries and youth.  I think it is time for our women's team to step it up!!

So much negativity coming from you here VU72...Keith is a fantastic human being and a great coach and it is win-at-all-costs fanatics like yourself that cause us to lose perspective of what is really important at a school like Valpo.  Go cheer for Michigan State or UConn or Coach Cal at Kentucky if you want a program that plays by these rules. 

dcvalpo

Quote from: vu72 on April 14, 2011, 04:35:32 PM

Look, I like Keith and respect him very much as a person.  sometime style is a problem and perhaps his style no longer works with today's kids--I don't know.

If you respect him so much, why blast him on an anonymous message board?  How "respectful" is it for you to be trying to run Coach Freeman out of town? 

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 03, 2011, 01:20:56 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 14, 2011, 04:35:32 PM

If you respect him so much, why blast him on an anonymous message board?  How "respectful" is it for you to be trying to run Coach Freeman out of town? 

all freeman has done at valpo is work hard to try to develop this program into a winning one! i find it difficult to accept the harsh criticism and foul play being brought out against coach freeman. kicking him out to the curb at this point would only breed more instability! he is the team's glue.

jack

I think Freeman can turn things around with the right mix of players. He's growing and learning, along with the team. Valpo isn't a big time basketball school, and doesn't attract the players that say, the big ten and other conferences do. Let's not forget that we stepped up into the Horizon League which is more competitive then where we were. I take my hat off to a coach, and a program, that works really hard at recruiting and signing players within our state. So much talent has left Indiana, so it's always refreshing to see our local talent stay local.
Having said that, I do feel that, the 2 All Stars we have coming could play for any major college, as both got some serious consideration outside of Indiana. We are lucky they chose Valpo, and they are lucky to be able to get a first class edjucation, while playing the game they love. These two, I think, are the shot in the arm our program needs to turn things around. I think those that aren't familiar with them will be pleasently surprized with what they bring to the program. They are 2 of the 14 young ladies chosen from Indiana to represent our state in our anual battle with Kentuckys best. If you get a chance, check them out. I'm sure it'll be televised. They compete on 6/10 at Kentucky, and again on 6/11 @ 5:00pm at Conseco Fieldhouse. I'm looking forward to watching our local girls sweep this year. They are loaded with talent from top to bottom.

dcvalpo

Quote from: jack on May 04, 2011, 07:19:06 AM
I think Freeman can turn things around with the right mix of players. He's growing and learning, along with the team. Valpo isn't a big time basketball school, and doesn't attract the players that say, the big ten and other conferences do. Let's not forget that we stepped up into the Horizon League which is more competitive then where we were. I take my hat off to a coach, and a program, that works really hard at recruiting and signing players within our state. So much talent has left Indiana, so it's always refreshing to see our local talent stay local.
Having said that, I do feel that, the 2 All Stars we have coming could play for any major college, as both got some serious consideration outside of Indiana. We are lucky they chose Valpo, and they are lucky to be able to get a first class edjucation, while playing the game they love. These two, I think, are the shot in the arm our program needs to turn things around. I think those that aren't familiar with them will be pleasently surprized with what they bring to the program. They are 2 of the 14 young ladies chosen from Indiana to represent our state in our anual battle with Kentuckys best. If you get a chance, check them out. I'm sure it'll be televised. They compete on 6/10 at Kentucky, and again on 6/11 @ 5:00pm at Conseco Fieldhouse. I'm looking forward to watching our local girls sweep this year. They are loaded with talent from top to bottom.

Would love to see more of this type of post around here!

IndyValpo

all freeman has done at valpo is work hard to try to develop this program into a winning one!

No offense but we are winning at 38% level in the Horizon League, 26% in the last two, at what point do you think someone should question what is going on?

i find it difficult to accept the harsh criticism and foul play being brought out against coach freeman. kicking him out to the curb at this point would only breed more instability!

See my comment above.

he is the team's glue.

See my comment above.

vu72

Freeman adds two Guards:

/4/2011 - Women's Basketball
Women's Basketball Adds Two Guards  » All News
Print Email RSS Share 

Coach Freeman added two new signees for the fall. (Ray Acevedo)Valparaiso University women's basketball coach Keith Freeman has announced the signing of Charae Richardson and Ieva Jansone to National Letters of Intent, and both will play for the Crusaders in the fall.

Both players are junior college transfers, and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

"These two additions add to a talented class that includes two Indiana All-Stars in Jessica Carr and Mallory Ladd, as well as Shaquira Scott," Freeman commented.  "This class is very strong, athletic and has versatility.  All of these players can score in a variety of ways."

Richardson is a 5-6 guard from Vincennes University where she averaged 11.6 points and 3.2 rebounds per game last season.  She added 3.5 assists and 2.2 steals per game while shooting 81% from the free throw line, helping the Lady Trailblazers to a 28-4 record.  A native of Lafayette, Ind. and Jefferson High School, Richardson earned NJCAA Division I All-Region 12 honors.

"Charae is a very smart player who can defend, handle the ball, and score," Freeman said.  "She has the ability to get to the free throw line. She will add strength to our perimeter."

Jansone is a 6-0 guard from Miles Comminuity College.  She helped lead the Pioneers to a 25-7 mark this past season, averaging 16.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.  A 48.7% shooter from the floor, the Riga, Latvia native also averaged 2.3 assists and 3.4 steals per night.  She earned NJCAA Division I All-Region 9 honors for both the regular season as well as being named to the All-Tournament Team, and was an Honorable Mention All-American.  Jansone also was named the Most Valuable Player of the Mon-Dak Conference.

"Ieva is a very versatile player," Freeman said.  "She is an excellent driver and can defend multiple positions.  Her athleticism and ability to score will provide a positive impact on our program."

jack

Good for Valpo. These two sound like some quality players that have a couple years of college experience under their belt. They should be able to offer some emmediate help with possitive minutes. Things keep looking up! 

IndyValpo

Athletes! Something we need.  Richardson and her 5-0 younger sister (a year behind also at Vincennes) we very enjoyable to watch in HS.

This brings us to 16 players giving more credence to RLH's comment on Gick

KL31NY

NWI Times article on the subject: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/article_e03c3d67-1262-503c-9c3b-a68db3f3904f.html

Gick does appear to be done, and Oren makes Freeman seem very optimistic both about the team's general future and the ability for Richardson and Jansone to make an immediate impact.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

dcvalpo

Quote from: KL31NY on May 04, 2011, 08:59:23 PM
NWI Times article on the subject: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/article_e03c3d67-1262-503c-9c3b-a68db3f3904f.html

Gick does appear to be done, and Oren makes Freeman seem very optimistic both about the team's general future and the ability for Richardson and Jansone to make an immediate impact.

Your signature is especially appropriate for Keith...no one will outwork him and he will never surrender. This is a guy we need to keep in the fold, regardless of the naysayer, fairweather fans.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 04, 2011, 08:36:03 AM

all freeman has done at valpo is work hard to try to develop this program into a winning one!

No offense but we are winning at 38% level in the Horizon League, 26% in the last two, at what point do you think someone should question what is going on?

i find it difficult to accept the harsh criticism and foul play being brought out against coach freeman. kicking him out to the curb at this point would only breed more instability!

See my comment above.

he is the team's glue.

See my comment above.

cynics like you are the ones who drive the guys you need the most away. i can't believe how much freeman bashing is going on here. the guy is a class act and the program could turn around any year now.

dcvalpo

See my comment above.

he is the team's glue.

See my comment above.

No offense, but I have heard it said that "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics."  You really think the numbers tell the whole story here?  Have you spent any time whatsoever with Keith?  Maybe once you have dinner with Keith, attend a practice, join him for a game film session, then you can begin to "question what's going on."  

Geez, I really am surprised some of you guys stuck around through the early years of Homer.  Coach Cal's win-at-all-costs ways seem much more suitable for you.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 04, 2011, 10:09:06 PM

See my comment above.

he is the team's glue.

See my comment above.

No offense, but I have heard it said that "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics."  You really think the numbers tell the whole story here?  Have you spent any time whatsoever with Keith?  Maybe once you have dinner with Keith, attend a practice, join him for a game film session, then you can begin to "question what's going on." 

Geez, I really am surprised some of you guys stuck around through the early years of Homer.  Coach Cal's win-at-all-costs ways seem much more suitable for you.

what about this statistic dcvalpo? freeman gives 226% ALL THE TIME. how many other coaches can you say that about?

IndyValpo

what about this statistic dcvalpo? freeman gives 226% ALL THE TIME. how many other coaches can you say that about?

Wow if he can give 226% to this job he is wasting his time at Valpo perhaps he can cure cancer or solve the world hunger problem.

Seriously, just so I understand where you are coming from, if we continue to lose 3 out of every 4 games into the future, you are ok with keeping this coach.   

dcvalpo

276-226 at Valpo...four twenty win seasons...doesn't sound like 3 out of 4 games is a loss.  Sounds like you have short term memory.  Thank God you weren't in a position to fire Homer early on!

And for the record, yes, I am ok with losing 3 out of 4 if we have a program of integrity and academic success as we have had under Keith.  He understands what college is all about, unlike some of you around here.

IndyValpo

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 05, 2011, 07:50:59 AM
276-226 at Valpo...four twenty win seasons...doesn't sound like 3 out of 4 games is a loss.  Sounds like you have short term memory.  Thank God you weren't in a position to fire Homer early on!

And for the record, yes, I am ok with losing 3 out of 4 if we have a program of integrity and academic success as we have had under Keith.  He understands what college is all about, unlike some of you around here.

His record and accomplishments are why he is still employed today and rightly so. At some point every college in America will no longer employ someone who is losing as much as we are currently even if they understand what college is all about......every college in America.  Hopefully, the new players bring us back and this discussion is no longer necessary.

valpo04

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 05, 2011, 07:50:59 AM
I am ok with losing 3 out of 4 if we have a program of integrity and academic success as we have had under Keith.  He understands what college is all about, unlike some of you around here.

You honestly don't care if a sports team at your D1 institution only wins 25% of their games??  These women aren't getting a free education because the coaching staff thinks they will have academic success... they are getting it because the staff thinks they are good at basketball.  Being good at basketball means winning more than 25% of the time.

I understand sticking up for the guy, especially with his longterm track record... but that doesn't mean that he has a free pass to win only 25% of the time simply because he runs a clean program.

Knowing what college is about and knowing what competing at the highest level in college athletics is about are two separate things.

Also, I know a lot of people who give 100% (giving more is literally impossible) but it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at what they do...