• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Student Section of the Year Voting

Started by govalpogo, January 23, 2013, 06:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Looking at the rules a little bit.

If we're the top Horizon League vote-getter in phase one (seems likely) we get $250 towards the general scholarship fund, and, I guess, bragging rights as "Student Section of the Year" in the Horizon league.

Then, the top 16 overall vote getters move on to phase two voting.

After that, the top 8 are judged for the grand prize.  Here's where it gets down to brass tacks.  The criteria are:

-)Does the Student Section have a name? (10 points)
-)Does the Student Section coordinate its attire? (10 points)
-)Average attendance for student section as compared to overall seating capacity of the venue (up to 10 points, scaled based on ratio of attendance to allowable tickets)
-)Spirit captured by photo submission portion of the nomination. (up to 10 points, scale of 1-10)
-)Spirit captured by video submission portion of the nomination. (up to 10 points, scale of 1-10)
-)Rank based on the results of Voting Phase II (up to 10 points, top vote getter receives 10 points, second gets 9, etc.)
-)Review of paragraph explaining why student section should win which was included in the nomination. (up to 10 points)

With the winner getting $10,000 towards the general scholarship fund, and a plaque.  And bragging rights, of course.

So, I don't know if we can compete with a good entry from e.g. Kansas.  But, a carefully prepared entry might not do too badly, even among the final 8.

govalpogo

Well...we've got the HL wrapped up because we are the only Horizon team nominated  ;).  Or we are the only team that nominated ourselves, the admin must see some value in the contest otherwise they wouldn't have put in their hat.  Some schools apparently don't care, i.e. Duke is not an entry.   I think IMC will be well prepared if it gets to that point!

Kansas won last year and I agree that we really don't have much of a shot at winning it all, but a top 8 finish of the 160 entered schools would be worth bragging about still.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on January 28, 2013, 10:20:51 AM
Quote from: historyman on January 28, 2013, 07:32:46 AMhttp://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops I posted this here because I was tired of scrolling up the whole page.
Good call.  Can we link directly to the vote? http://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops/app_585093751508025

Now I just decided to bookmark it. It's like chasing your tail with so many posts.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: govalpogo on January 28, 2013, 10:32:15 AMbut a top 8 finish of the 160 entered schools would be worth bragging about still.

For sure!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: agibson on January 28, 2013, 10:20:09 AM
Looking at the rules a little bit.

If we're the top Horizon League vote-getter in phase one (seems likely) we get $250 towards the general scholarship fund, and, I guess, bragging rights as "Student Section of the Year" in the Horizon league.

Then, the top 16 overall vote getters move on to phase two voting.

After that, the top 8 are judged for the grand prize.  Here's where it gets down to brass tacks.  The criteria are:

-)Does the Student Section have a name? (10 points)
-)Does the Student Section coordinate its attire? (10 points)
-)Average attendance for student section as compared to overall seating capacity of the venue (up to 10 points, scaled based on ratio of attendance to allowable tickets)
-)Spirit captured by photo submission portion of the nomination. (up to 10 points, scale of 1-10)
-)Spirit captured by video submission portion of the nomination. (up to 10 points, scale of 1-10)
-)Rank based on the results of Voting Phase II (up to 10 points, top vote getter receives 10 points, second gets 9, etc.)
-)Review of paragraph explaining why student section should win which was included in the nomination. (up to 10 points)

With the winner getting $10,000 towards the general scholarship fund, and a plaque.  And bragging rights, of course.

So, I don't know if we can compete with a good entry from e.g. Kansas.  But, a carefully prepared entry might not do too badly, even among the final 8.

1) Valparaizone
2) Not always, but doable (see NIU, WSU, and soon UDM games)
3) Does VU keep track of student attendance? With no ticket sales to keep track of, I don't see how they could. They barely glance at our student IDs on the way in, so I don't see how a reliable count could be tracked. Nonetheless, considering the avg overall attendance is what, 2500? 3000? I think the student ratio isn't bad.
The rest of the criteria are judgement calls, and it'd be hard for Valpo to compete against bigger schools.

For what it's worth, I do think VU has the best student following for basketball in the Horizon League recently, self-nomination aside. Of course, having a first place team sure helps.
#CrusadersForever

vu72

I agree with point 3 above.  If the average attendance is 3000 and 300 kids show up on average that is tough to beat for a place like Syracuse of North Carolina or any other huge arena.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 28, 2013, 01:24:24 PMAverage attendance for student section as compared to overall seating capacity of the venue

that's one thing, but compare it to as a % of the campus population?  c'mon people organizing these criteria!  we'd take it to NC or Kansas or whomever in that case!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

I have heard them say "click" when entering a game with our passes. I think one of the ticket takers has a clicker they hit for everyone that enters with a VU ID, which would include students, faculty, staff and their families.

talksalot

historyman

Well we need to change that Cyclone student section into the Blow Zone and blow them away. Let's do it!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

Voted! Picked up a referral somehow too. #VoteValpo

govalpogo

Ok, East Coasters, time to cast your vote for Jan 29th!  Still stuck in 9th...is it destiny?

vu84v2

Percentage of overall attendees in the student section is not so easy compared to big schools.  Kansas' student section is 2500-3000 out of 16,300.  Iowa State has a very high ratio too.  My guess is that Duke is very high since their seating is only about 9000.

govalpogo

Good work late nighters!  We've once again passed Iowa State!  It's just like Myspace now...it's all about being in the top 8. 

historyman

Quote from: govalpogo on January 29, 2013, 07:42:40 AMGood work late nighters!  We've once again passed Iowa State!  It's just like Myspace now...it's all about being in the top 8.

However it's not time to stop voting now. We have seen how Iowa State has responded to our ascending the ladder previously. Keep voting!

govalpogo

Last I checked, we passed Utah St. for 7th!  Keep climbing!  Meanwhile, the Bonnies are making a move from 25th to 13th in a few days' time.

talksalot

Holding on to #7 15 minutes later... and I just voted ... Keep It Going!  I see the Rock Chalkers passed VCU... They must have enjoyed last nights game in Morgantown.

1.  Kansas
2.  VCU
3.  Indiana
4. Purdue
5.  Pitt
6.  Gonzaga
7.  Valpo
8. Utah St
9.  Iowa State
10. Illinois

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

agibson

Let's do both!  Is the Shot just once? Or can you go back?

historyman

Let's Zig while Gonzaga Zags, sorry, couldn't help it, and take 6th place from the Spokanian Kennel Club.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 29, 2013, 04:59:45 PMhttp://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops/app_585093751508025
Quote from: talksalot on January 29, 2013, 04:59:45 PM
Holding on to #7 15 minutes later... and I just voted ... Keep It Going!  I see the Rock Chalkers passed VCU... They must have enjoyed last nights game in Morgantown.

No change overnight.  #7.  Keep it up!

http://www.facebook.com/ilovecollegehoops/app_585093751508025

historyman

Let's slip around Pitt and keep zigging on the Zags. 5th place is all Valpo's!

KL31NY

Beautiful new splash page on ValpoAthletics urging fans to vote for both "The Shot" and "The Valparaizone" in their respective contests.

Vote for "The Shot" http://www.ncaa.com/75-moments
Vote for "The Valparaizone" http://clc.promo.eprize.com/vote/?referring_info=eyJzY2hvb2wiOiJWYWxwYXJhaXNvX0NydXNhZGVycyIsImFjdGlvbiI6ImZhY2Vib29rIiwicmVmZXJyZXJfaWQiOjI5MDh9#.UQF7P3ZBuy4.facebook
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176