• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Tourney

Started by oklahomamick, February 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: govalpogo on March 09, 2013, 10:55:11 PM
#2 on SC Top 10 behind Bama

Wright State #3.  I suppose they had to put them together.. and couldn't move WSU ahead of Alabama?  That was a _heck_ of a long shot... well beyond half court.  But only a conference game.

I still haven't gotten a look at GB's faces, etc.

But, I did get to see what Luke Gore referred to in the post game.  After Ryan hit the shot, Bryce fell over backwards, was laying on his back on the court.

Smj

Rather win than look good losing...

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 10:51:08 PM
The comment section's good too,
Tim Farrell · Carroll High School
How'd all that "talent" work for you tonite?

Ooh, it gets better

Ronelle Specht Widenhofer
Your player of the year? not only lost the semi final game but he had 5 pts/1 for 7 from the field 4 or 5 turnovers and no assists! Better than the Valpo kid, Broekoff? Get real! The Valpo guy gets 25 along with the winning 3 pointer at the buzzer.

valpotx

A few fans on the GB board are ticked at Bryce falling down, KVW apparently talking trash at some point to Brown before the buzzer, and Rowdy's 3-pt signal he does.  I don't see anything wrong with Rowdy's celebration for a 3, and didn't see KVW talking trash, but can't explain Bryce as much lol.  It looks like he just fell down and died.  You can see a few of the GB players react in the shot, though Cougill takes it like a man and just keeps on walking.  There is absolutely nothing else he could have done on that shot and he seemed to know it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/78792/video-valparaisos-buzzer-beater
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

1. Met some great Wright State fans tonight (including Steve, a 36 year WSU fan). Sitting behind their fans there is no "darling" feelings for Detroit and Jr or SR in that group.

2. We're still trying to recover from that one. What a night of hoops!!

3. Green Bay's players gave it their all. Cougill got my respect cause he just kind of smiled, thanked the GB fans and then after hand shakes, left with his head held high. Congrats to GB on two terrific games in Valpo. Sykes was unconscious tonight.

4. Sure there's plenty under game thread but to Ryan and Kevin and the seniors thanks for 4 seasons. Tuesday should be for fun!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 10:51:08 PM
The comment section's good too,
Tim Farrell · Carroll High School
How'd all that "talent" work for you tonite?

Give that man a Hall of Fame vote!

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 09, 2013, 10:59:32 PMQuote (selected)
Ronelle Specht Widenhofer
Your player of the year? not only lost the semi final game but he had 5 pts/1 for 7 from the field 4 or 5 turnovers and no assists! Better than the Valpo kid, Broekoff? Get real! The Valpo guy gets 25 along with the winning 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Another amazing Hall of Fame post!

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 09, 2013, 11:13:06 PMI don't see anything wrong with Rowdy's celebration for a 3,

Sykes was doing the very same kind of signal almost every time he hit a three.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on March 10, 2013, 07:40:07 AMSykes was doing the very same kind of signal almost every time he hit a three.

they might not have noticed it because he didn't make as many as rowdy.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Sykes Ray McCallum'ed (pounded his chest) after an and-1... Bryce reverse Bryce-drewing? Haters gunna hate

vuweathernerd

Quote from: a3uge on March 10, 2013, 10:39:16 AM
Sykes Ray McCallum'ed (pounded his chest) after an and-1... Bryce reverse Bryce-drewing? Haters gunna hate

that's only modified mccallum-ing. jr pounds the floor.

WSU85

As a Wright State fan that was a roller coaster of a night. Elated we won our game, then you guys gave us a dagger.  I was already making plans for Tuesday.  Anyway this has been a great tourney, and it looked good on TV.  A little surprised your attendence was not better, but it sounded loud. I think the final game will be ad close as the semi final games were.  Good luck to all involved, but a little more for WSU

Goraiders93

The attendance was much higher than the 3285 or whatever it said. More than that were there midway through the Wright State game as Valpo and a few Green Bay fans arrived.

wh

The attendance figure is completely wrong.  I'm sure someone will be issuing a correction.  I'm also assuming it is some sort of elementary school error, like they overlooked an entire group of opposing team fans or something similarly silly.  Will the embarrassing actions tied to ARC event management ever end?

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on March 09, 2013, 06:03:47 PM
Is StlVUFan sitting behind the announcers?  I think that is him
Yes, that was me.

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 09, 2013, 10:26:47 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 09, 2013, 07:03:20 PM
the newly crowned "player of the year" finished the game 1-7 from the field, and a whopping 5 points. 4 turnovers to 0 assists. how's that 'unselfish' thing workin out?

Did anyone see Miles Dixon from WSU block Ray Jr. in the first half? 
Remember it vividly.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2013, 01:48:32 PM
The attendance figure is completely wrong.  I'm sure someone will be issuing a correction.  I'm also assuming it is some sort of elementary school error, like they overlooked an entire group of opposing team fans or something similarly silly.  Will the embarrassing actions tied to ARC event management ever end?
Won't dispute the criticism of the reported attendance since I didn't see the figure myself, but I will say that I was very disappointed in Sections AA and EE which were mostly empty.

What I do know is that this year's 2nd round -- which was tons more exciting than last year's -- had half the attendance of last year.

truth219

letsgovu

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 10, 2013, 05:04:53 PMWon't dispute the criticism of the reported attendance since I didn't see the figure myself, but I will say that I was very disappointed in Sections AA and EE which were mostly empty.

I'm thinking the messed up numbers might have something to do with the tickets being good for both games.  When we arrived during half time of the Detroit game, the lower bleachers were pretty filled with fans from that game and at least the Detroit fans that were near us left as soon as their game ended.  I was thinking we'd have a lot of space around us for the second game but it was totally full...

Seems like some of these folks from one game or the other moved down from the upper bleachers which might explain why some upper sections were empty.

vusupporter

Remember also that each school was allotted 200 student tickets - how many students (not counting bands and cheer) did GB, WSU and Detroit bring?  Maybe 100 total, max?  There's 500 right off the top.

ValpoHoops

Math time!!

ARC Total     5000
AA/EE were down 300+ each     -600
BB/DD were down 150+each     -300
Student Sec. was down 300+     -300
F/J down 50+ each     -100
A/E down 50+ each     -100
H was down 100 for media     -100

That brings us down to 3500 right there, and these are conservative numbers. Tickets for AA/EE weren't for sale, so some folks moved to there from way up in the other sections.

Personally, I don't care if there were 500 or 5000, the crowd got into the game when they needed and the atmosphere was great from courtside.

valpo4life

I believe the reason AA and EE were fairly empty was because it was seating given to other schools like stated above. When you went online to purchase tickets it had these sections as "unavailable"

okinawatyphoon

The temporary bleachers on the side opposite of the student section would add to the total since it's not already included in the total capacity of the ARC (as far as I know). So maybe 100-200 there?
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

ValpoHoops

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on March 10, 2013, 08:03:04 PM
The temporary bleachers on the side opposite of the student section would add to the total since it's not already included in the total capacity of the ARC (as far as I know). So maybe 100-200 there?

There actualy aren't quite 5000 "seats" in the arena. We counted a number of years ago (before the easy way with the online/electronic ticketing and such) and it was in the 4850 range. 5000 is just an easier number....and with using that, it's probably about even.

FWalum

I have a little bone to pick with the league or whomever is responsible.  Why is it the we sometimes get access to postgame news conferences and other time we don't.(most often it falls into the "don't" category)  I am sure that all of them are recorded so why not give us access?  I really enjoy hearing the coaches' and player's responses to the media questions.  In my opinion this would really round out the fan's media experience and allow them to "bond" more closely to each team's players and maybe even the coaching staff.  Would have loved to see the press conferences after both the WSU UDM and the UWGB VU games.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show