• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo - Youngstown Game Thread - 2/26

Started by talksalot, February 21, 2013, 06:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 26, 2013, 09:06:45 PMWhere the h*** are the fans on a senior night game to clinch the league title?     Upper deck is empty.

For a regular mid-week conference game on a snowy/slushy night I'd say the upper deck didn't look too bad.  BB had a decent number, and even AA had some folks.

For senior night, a bigger crowd would have been good.  But, not a disaster.

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2013, 09:51:43 PMAttendance was miserable, and the students who didn't show up should be ashamed.

I heard some students talking it up today, and saw at least one of mine in the student section.  It really is a very busy week academically - just before spring break.  I have a lot of trouble faulting students who were focusing on their classes instead of going to the game.  Is it possible to do both?  Sure - and kudos to those who managed.

Ridiculous shooting by the Penguins in the first half - and very good for the Crusaders to come back for a fairly comfortable lead in the end. 

Very good to see Rowdy putting up big numbers.  I'm particularly happy to see him working hard on rebounds again - maybe the hips feeling better, or he's decided to let it all hang out? _Three_ offensive... tips... all off Buggs missed FT's?  Do those count as rebounds?  Did Rowdy save _every one_ of Buggs missed FT's?.  Crazy that he managed ten rebounds while KVW pulled down a sick 14 simultaneously.

Congrats on the championship!

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

HC

I tweeted earlier...I think the HL called into the Valpo locker room at the half "lets go! We don't want to go to Detroit!"

Also, nice meeting Paul Oren before the game today!

agibson

I loved late in the game when it felt like chef was breaking the fourth wall.  Giving a shout out to all of the fans around the Horizon League that he figured were tuning into one of the streams at the end of the game, and encouraging them to support their teams by going out to the first round of the HL tournament.  It's not very often it feels like they're speaking directly to the internet listeners - good fun.

truth219

Minnesota must not have classes because their student section was there tonight. Its truely sad that we were actually in the running for best student section in the country. I mean sure a few times a year its crazy but on most nights its average. The box score attendance was 3410 but I'm assuming that's paid attendance. The upper deck was maybe 10% full. The weather was that bad at least in valpo. Somethings gotta give why isn't this community and student body excited about college basketball.

valpospartan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 26, 2013, 09:45:53 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 26, 2013, 09:06:45 PM
Nice comeback.    Team got it done.   

Where the h*** are the fans on a senior night game to clinch the league title?     Upper deck is empty.    Student turnout very lame.   Do students only go to TV games? 

weather was undoubtedly a factor
Just an excuse.  Weather wasn't bad for a fan!

agibson

Quote from: valpospartan on February 26, 2013, 10:47:37 PMJust an excuse.  Weather wasn't bad for a fan!

In town it wasn't too bad.  Slushy.  Some cars off the road, even flipped over, in Porter County.

I can sympathize with those that didn't want to drive 60 miles on US 30.  We're spoiled by HLN, I suppose - they should totally publish viewing figures!  (Maybe not... they might be inclined to black us out.)

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 10:18:46 PMI loved late in the game when it felt like chef was breaking the fourth wall.

Oh, and I loved equally well chef narrating the home run pass to Buggs... just before it happened!  Too bad it didn't make the highlights - I would have loved to see it again with narration.

historyman

Quote from: valpospartan on February 26, 2013, 10:47:37 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 26, 2013, 09:45:53 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 26, 2013, 09:06:45 PMNice comeback.    Team got it done. Where the h*** are the fans on a senior night game to clinch the league title?     Upper deck is empty.    Student turnout very lame.   Do students only go to TV games?
weather was undoubtedly a factor
Just an excuse.  Weather wasn't bad for a fan!

I agree. In Valpo the weather wasn't that bad. The roads were drivable, and had been treated, and yes, it was messy, but it wasn't nearly as slick as I thought it might be. Now driving all the way to Michigan City or all the way from Milwaukee, through Chicago, to Valpo might have been a different story with the weather and snowfall amounts being different in different areas near Valpo.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 10:51:24 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on February 26, 2013, 10:47:37 PMJust an excuse.  Weather wasn't bad for a fan!

In town it wasn't too bad.  Slushy.  Some cars off the road, even flipped over, in Porter County.

I can sympathize with those that didn't want to drive 60 miles on US 30.  We're spoiled by HLN, I suppose - they should totally publish viewing figures!  (Maybe not... they might be inclined to black us out.)

Here's a tweet from Joel Cornette who was the colorman on ESPN 3 for the Milwaukee at Green Bay game Tuesday. It's about his driving home to the Chicago area after the game:

joelcornette After the scariest drive of my life (and I don't scare easily) I have made it home in one piece and so has my car.#RoadWarrior
22 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite  (4:21 a.m.)

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#

http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelcornette33

Smj

I am sorry but from what I saw our student section was a joke tonight - on senior night....    Fine I did not make the game but I live over 3 hours away and that is when there is no winter advisory.   I feel bad for the team because if I was in town I would not have been making excuses for missing such a critical game.

Got to agree that from our inconsistent student turnout this is no "top student section" - sorry.   Wish I could say the student section was....   

As for the game - YSU could not miss in the first.  Officiating sucked...   We came out to play in the second half.    CONGRATS TEAM!!!!

milldew72

Quote from: Smj on February 27, 2013, 04:14:02 AM
I am sorry but from what I saw our student section was a joke tonight - on senior night....    Fine I did not make the game but I live over 3 hours away and that is when there is no winter advisory.   I feel bad for the team because if I was in town I would not have been making excuses for missing such a critical game.

Got to agree that from our inconsistent student turnout this is no "top student section" - sorry.   Wish I could say the student section was....   

As for the game - YSU could not miss in the first.  Officiating sucked...   We came out to play in the second half.    CONGRATS TEAM!!!!

That's OK. The team was a joke in the first half, too. I've been attending nearly every Valpo home game and a lot of roadies for the past 10 years and that's the first time in those 10 years that I felt I had to leave at halftime. What an embarrassment.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milldew72 on February 27, 2013, 08:45:08 AMthat's the first time in those 10 years that I felt I had to leave at halftime

wow.  so you left?

i hope you didn't leave 2001, Ben Hur, Gettysburg, or Gandhi at the intermission too.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 27, 2013, 08:54:54 AM
Quote from: milldew72 on February 27, 2013, 08:45:08 AMthat's the first time in those 10 years that I felt I had to leave at halftime

wow.  so you left?

i hope you didn't leave 2001, Ben Hur, Gettysburg, or Gandhi at the intermission too.

Of course he left, this is what milldew72 said earlier this year: "Say hello to a 4th place regular season finish in the league and a first round exit in the HL tourney. This team is really, really bad. This is a really bad basketball team."  ::)

milldew72

I sure did say that back then. And I couldn't be happier that I was wrong.
Also pretty glad that after I left last night, the team found some guts and brought it back to win the game and the league.
And I loved Ben Hur, 2001 and Gettysburg.
Never saw Ghandi

a3uge

Quote from: milldew72 on February 27, 2013, 08:45:08 AM
Quote from: Smj on February 27, 2013, 04:14:02 AM

That's OK. The team was a joke in the first half, too. I've been attending nearly every Valpo home game and a lot of roadies for the past 10 years and that's the first time in those 10 years that I felt I had to leave at halftime. What an embarrassment.

After the first half, YSU was shooting 58.3% FG and 60% 3PT. Everything was bouncing in for them. Valpo, on the other hand, had balls that rattled in and out at least 4-5 times. Rebounds were also bouncing their way. It was incredibly frustrating watching the first half, but Valpo just dominated the game from the last 2:46 of the first half to the end of the game. It's not the first time Valpo was down by 12 in the first half, and down by 7 to close the half. At least we're not Detroit - they got bailed out by bad free throw shooting from Loyola, and won it on a last second layup.

LaPorteAveApostle

valpo04, can you change milldew's name to Jonah, please?

kthx.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusadermoe

Mildew, you picked a name that fits your attitude.     I was more embarrassed for the seniors' families after the game.    HLN kept their webcast through the senior comments to the crowd.   Matt Kenney had  60 family members there.   So that was probably 10% of the people who stayed to celebrate and applaud.   I hope no families of our new signees came out.   They might suggest the kid de-commit.

These seniors were not the greatest athletes I have seen at Valpo.   But they were champions twice.  Past teams won the MID-CON.   This team won the Horizon, a good mid-major conference, TWICE!!   They busted their tails.   What did we get in theiR LAST HOME GAME AND from a TITLE CLINCHING GAME from the students and non-chairbacks?   Freakin' YAWNS and CRICKETS!!

One thing that did puzzle me in the post-game recognition.   None of the guys said "come back a week from Saturday!!!"   They all seem to have either picked up Bryce's mild demeanor or he and Home recruit that modest manner.    I bet Van Vijk is the spark when they need it.

truth219

It seems at home we always start off awesome in the first 5 mins, the we struggle a bit. Rowdy although he ended with a great games had a few times where he looked outta sync. Its not the end of the world but if he was completely locked in this game could have been a 30 point victory. It also seems at times our guys get baseline happy and that gets frustrating. Basically we have to beat detroit to get to the ncaa tourny. I think we will make it to the championship easily but detroit will be waiting. Kvw has been the heart and soul of this team this season although with out buggs and rowdy he wouldn't get the looks he does. He owned the paint early last night and the made nice adjustments. I liked how buggs drained a 3 early, if he could shoot 30% from downtown he would be the best point in the confrence if he isn't already. I don't know if it would help, but if valpo had a big digital billboard by the new welcoming center that could advertise the games maybe we could draw some more fans. Just a poor turnout last night.

valporun

Over the years, have there been bridges burned between the community and University administration that have kept community members away from anything at the university? As was mentioned before, possibility that many community members don't want to shell out $20 a ticket to take 4 family members to a game, where they are in the cheap seats, and feel like they aren't a crucial part of the atmosphere...

Students are going to be what they are about these games. It has always been the case that some students put academics before athletics during big exam and project weeks. Especially now with so much to prove in terms of getting that job that pays back the student loans or validates the scholarships these kids received, with college costs being atmospheric, many Valpo students are going to focus more on the aspects of college that will get them a job, i.e. grades and academic performance, over attendance at a basketball game.

KL31NY

Video highlights... KVW's drive and dunk did not make the cut. No excuse for that Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Youngstown State Penguins (2/26/2013)
My favorite is when Eargle blocks Kevin, he gets the ball back, scores, and goes D-Generation X on the celebration. "LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLet's ready to suck iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! And if you're not down with that, we've got two words for ya! (go to :28 in the video) SUCK IT!"
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

For a reference point, you can get Mavs tickets for $12-$15 in the top section at the AAC.  Obviously, these seats are a bit higher up than the mezz, but $20 does seem a bit much.  Wouldn't you rather charge less for admission, and hope that you have a bigger crowd for support, and possibly more concessions?
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I enjoyed how long they were stuck on 45 points

VULB#62

Quote from: valporun on February 27, 2013, 10:34:59 AM
Over the years, have there been bridges burned between the community and University administration that have kept community members away from anything at the university? As was mentioned before, possibility that many community members don't want to shell out $20 a ticket to take 4 family members to a game, where they are in the cheap seats, and feel like they aren't a crucial part of the atmosphere...

Students are going to be what they are about these games. It has always been the case that some students put academics before athletics during big exam and project weeks. Especially now with so much to prove in terms of getting that job that pays back the student loans or validates the scholarships these kids received, with college costs being atmospheric, many Valpo students are going to focus more on the aspects of college that will get them a job, i.e. grades and academic performance, over attendance at a basketball game.
Can't speak to bridges burnt.

But an esteemed academic school like Duke with 6400 undergrads packs the Cameron Crazy section night after night.  But then, I guess winning year after year at their level is an addicting potion.  On the other hand, isn't it all relative?  We have a winner in the BB program.  We have appealing star power in kids like Rowdy and Kevin. We have a good academic rep.  We are in a competitive conference. We have close to 3000 undergrads.  We should be able to consistently pack the 'Zone, which by my guess is about 1/2 that of Duke's.  But we can't do it consistently.  To me part of it is the culture that is fostered by the university.  That culture is underscored by that Torch Op/Ed piece last week and things like dry tailgating at FB games.  All of these things have a chilling affect on people letting loose and coming for the dramatic impact of game night at the ARC.  I'll bet  a dozen donuts that the FB team was called on the carpet because of the Op/Ed piece, and they did what I would do -- say screw it, we tried to juice up the place and this is what we get for it?  Sad thing about that is that the chilling affect had two repercussions:  it curtailed the enthusiasm of the 'Zone by their organized absence and it disrupted a bonding moment for a FB team that needs all the bonding it can muster.

The athletic promotions people have two constituencies:  students and everyone else.  I'm sure that there is more that can always be done for "everyone else."  But more dedicated promotion to the students is essential to keep the 'Zone filled all the time and filled to overflowing for the biggies.  We've already discussed upgrading and improving the pep band -- they should be given whatever is needed to make them the loudest, best and most entertaining (i.e., antics, costumes, etc.) in the HL.  The students need to learn (be taught?) that they are an extension of team on the floor and they have a stake in every basket, forced turnover, rebound, etc.  Rowdy said it in his senior speech -- they feed off the 'Zone.

FWalum

Really thought that Dority made some big plays last night.  He had some very nice drives and hit a big 3 that in my mind created some separation.  I think you can tell that the ankle is much better especially on D where he was able, for the most part, to stay in front of his man.  His minutes are so critical to the success of this team, we need him healthy and confident.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show