• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB - Valpo and Green Bay 3/2 - Game Thread

Started by talksalot, February 27, 2013, 04:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Be interesting to see how things go at the Resch on Saturday afternoon.

I'm hoping the HL will have the VU-GB game on their schedule sometime.   Other games in the HL: 
UDM@UIC 1pm
YSU@WSU 1pm
CSY@LUC 2pm

So, this is game 31..the 17th time we've played a game 31 in a season... we are 9-7.
We are 3-1 at home, 0-2 on the road and 6-4 on neutral courts. 

The two road losses:  3 years ago at the Nutter in the HL first round and at Carver-Hawkeye 62-60 in the NIT in '02-03.

We won our last 2 31st games, by 12 over Butler last year and 14 over UIC 2 years ago.   We played three NCAA games as the 31st game of the year:  A Loss to the Zags; a Loss to Boston College... oh, and a little win over Rebels in OK City.

We are 23-7.  We have done that twice before 00-01 and 01-02; winning the next game both times. 

We were 24-6 in 96-97 for the best record after 30 games.

We are 14-2 at home.  We have never won 15 games at home.
We are 9-5 on the road.  We have never won 10 games on the road.

We have not played a neutral court game in 2 years.  There is only one way to break that streak.

KVW has 995 career points.  I'll enjoy watching him break through that grand number in person.

truth219

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on February 27, 2013, 04:47:50 PM
We have not played a neutral court game in 2 years.  There is only one way to break that streak.

Madison Square Gardens, here we come!

Er, wait...

agibson

Quote from: truth219 on February 27, 2013, 04:50:34 PM
This game can be seen on espnu at 2 central

Ah, I forgot it was on ESPNU.  That's probably just as we'll for me.  I'm expecting to be out of the house, and might not have live access anyway.  At least there should be a prompt ESPN3 archive.

valpotx

I think that we come out strong to prove that GB will not be our ORU (place we can't win on the road):

Valpo 77
GB 69
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on February 28, 2013, 03:42:47 AM
I think that we come out strong to prove that GB will not be our ORU (place we can't win on the road):

Valpo 77
GB 69
Unlike ORU, we actually did win once at GB ;)  I think it was in 2010 (only because I can't believe it would be in 2009 when we were 5-13).

VUfan

This game win is needed to show the NCAA  that we can win on the road and not get pushed off the court. A steady defence and inside out offence will win. Green Bay has improved greatly over the year and has the best home record in the HL.
VU 72 UWGB 66
I get to see my second game of the year hope it's a winner! ;D

chef

Valpo did win there in 2010, and nearly again in 2011 before losing in OT. That was the game Howard Little slipped after grabbing a rebound and was called for traveling. Otherwise we would have won there twice in a row.

LaPorteAveApostle

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300312739

QuoteGREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brandon Wood scored 26 points, including six in the final 1:26, as Valparaiso rallied to defeat Wisconsin-Green Bay 84-79 Sunday.

Cory Johnson added 20 points and Brandon McPherson and Matt Kenney each had 11 for the Crusaders (11-12, 6-5 Horizon), who trailed by eight with 4:36 to play.
Trailing 73-65 with 4:36 remaining, Valparaiso went on an 11-0 run, fueled by three of its 11 3-pointers, and led the rest of the way. Green Bay twice pulled to within one in the final 1:42, but Valparaiso answered each time with a bucket of its own.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310522739

QuoteGREEN BAY, Wis. -- Bryquis Perine scored 20 points, including a basket with 11 seconds remaining in overtime, and Wisconsin-Green Bay defeated Valparaiso 81-80 on Monday night.
Brandon Wood led the Crusaders with 24 points. Ryan Broekhoff scored 20 and was 5 for 6 from 3-point range. His last 3 put Valparaiso ahead 80-78 with 33 seconds left in overtime, but Perine made a free throw and later scored the winner.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

I want a win as bad as everyone else.  It would mean another HL league championship out right.  However, I wish GB to play Detroit in the Semi's.  I really wished that Detroit would have lost to Loyola. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Saturday will be my first trip to Green Bay.  If it's of any comfort to anyone, I am a perfect 9-0 on the road in HL play.  ;)

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 28, 2013, 06:41:49 AM
Is everyone healthy going into Green Bay?

Let's keep our fingers crossed. The team appears as healthy as it has been all season.

Speaking of fingers, I don't know if others noticed, but Bryce did injure himself during the YSU game. He got so excited at one point that he somehow cut his index finger with what looked like a pretty good gash on his shooting hand. Here is my photo of him being treated by Rod Moore.

Kyle321n

It looked like twice after a timeout he had to have the bandage replaced.  If Bryce is unable to go, how's our depth?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

Luke Gore is nursing carpal tunnel syndrome from gripping his clipboard too tightly, so we might have to turn to Roger Powell.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

I feel like Valpo does a pretty good job of winning games down the stretch that don't really have a bearing on things... The Missouri State and EKU bracketbusters... the game vs Butler last year. I know Valpo will be playing for pride, so I don't think they'll lay an egg, but I think the lack of pressure is almost good for Valpo. Valpo played loose during the EKU game and absolutely destroyed them.

Valpo89

Quote from: a3uge on February 28, 2013, 10:15:59 AM
I feel like Valpo does a pretty good job of winning games down the stretch that don't really have a bearing on things... The Missouri State and EKU bracketbusters... the game vs Butler last year. I know Valpo will be playing for pride, so I don't think they'll lay an egg, but I think the lack of pressure is almost good for Valpo. Valpo played loose during the EKU game and absolutely destroyed them.
Great point. Crazy how that always seems to happen.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 28, 2013, 10:37:59 AM

These are all teams that aren't familiar with us (and granted, we aren't familiar with them either). We run a lot of sets, like an NBA team, and they aren't going to be able to spend the time to look at enough film to properly scout them all.

When we play in the HL, they know a lot of our stuff and some teams do a very good job of guarding the set and not giving up easy baskets. YSU did an outstanding job of this...almost every possession, their assistants were up shouting what we were about to do.

Makes you wonder why we get the home run pass so often against HL teams...

wh

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 28, 2013, 10:52:52 AM
Quote from: Valpo89 on February 28, 2013, 10:37:59 AM

These are all teams that aren't familiar with us (and granted, we aren't familiar with them either). We run a lot of sets, like an NBA team, and they aren't going to be able to spend the time to look at enough film to properly scout them all.

When we play in the HL, they know a lot of our stuff and some teams do a very good job of guarding the set and not giving up easy baskets. YSU did an outstanding job of this...almost every possession, their assistants were up shouting what we were about to do.

Makes you wonder why we get the home run pass so often against HL teams...

The home run pass to Erik the other night was the best yet.  The last person YSU thought we would give the ball to on an inbounds play in that situation was Erik.  They looked like a football team that got caught completely off guard on a successful fake punt on 4th down.  The look on the faces of their coaching staff was worth the price of admission all by itself.  :)

ValpoHoops

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2013, 11:23:28 AMThe look on the faces of their coaching staff was worth the price of admission all by itself. 

As they left the huddle during the timeout...I kid you not...one of their assistants turned back to the team and said, "they're going to throw it deep...don't get caught sleeping!"

Oops...

StlVUFan

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 28, 2013, 10:52:52 AMMakes you wonder why we get the home run pass so often against HL teams...
That has been the never-ending source of amusement for me as well.  I saw one time last year that play thwarted on the first attempt.  I think it was when CSU came to the ARC.  Everybody else?  It's like Lucy with the football, for crying out loud.

agibson

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2013, 11:23:28 AMThe home run pass to Erik the other night was the best yet.  The last person YSU thought we would give the ball to on an inbounds play in that situation was Erik.  They looked like a football team that got caught completely off guard on a successful fake punt on 4th down.  The look on the faces of their coaching staff was worth the price of admission all by itself.

Watching the play last time, it occurred to me that it sure helps that Buggs is so darn _fast_.  Even if his defender notices him cutting deep, there's only so much he can do.  I suppose he could just mark him from the deep side?

It was really a shame that this play didn't make the highlights.  I don't know that the cameras caught the assistants warning, or their faces after, but Todd's narration of the play (paraphrasing, "Let's see... is the home run pass going to Buggs or Bogan?") was priceless.

FWalum

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 28, 2013, 11:26:18 AMAs they left the huddle during the timeout...I kid you not...one of their assistants turned back to the team and said, "they're going to throw it deep...don't get caught sleeping!"

Oops...
It really is amazing that we have pulled this play off so many times this season.  Normally you are lucky if it works once maybe twice a year, but Bryce and company have pulled it off what... maybe 5 times this season?
Almost unbelievable.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

The usual recipient is Matt so perhaps they were focused on Matt and when he went a different way they dropped their guard--who knows...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoHoops

Back to the topic...

Sagarin has us a 0.02 point favorite for this one (including the "Home Advantage" for GB). I'll take us, minus the points...

Valpo 76
Green Bay 72