• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Georgetown

Started by jetz, March 04, 2013, 10:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Sorry for the delay everyone. Rick Mahoney here again. We are currently in bottom of 1 with Georgetown having a runner on third with 1 out. Valpo did not score in top of inning.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

GU scores 1 on Sac Fly to CF. After a soft single to CF, DeBoo gets next batter to pop to Vavra to end inning. After 1, GU 1, Valpo 0.

jetz

Kowalczyk is DHing today and batting clean up. He lines out to CF to start the inning. Loeffler is batting 5th and playing 1B today. Loeffler lines an 0-2 curve ball between 1B & 2B for a single. Martin up next.

jetz

Martin drives first pitch to deep LC for an RBI double. Bynum is catching today and batting 7th. He can't get an outside change up and makes the 2nd out. Manning in CF today and batting 8th. Manning misses same pitch that got Bynum to end inning. After 1 1/2, score is tied at 1.

jetz

DeBoo gets first batter to roll one to Mahoney at SS who gets him by 1/2 a step. Next hiiter is drilled in thigh by a 2 seam fastball. Hard grounder to SS eludes Mahoney for an error. !st & second with 1 out.

jetz

Next batter squibs one back to DeBoo. Only play is at 1st so we have runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out. That brings up GU leadoff hitter, Freshman SS, Chris Pomeroy. Slow roller fielded nicely by Martin who makes a solid throw on run to end the inning. 1-1 after 2.

jetz

Recapping Valpo 1st inning, Mahoney led off with a walk, was sacrificed to 2nd by Vavra and was called out on a terrible call by 1st base ump who said he left early for 3B after tagging on fly to medium CF by Mormon.

jetz

Johnson leads off 3rd with fly to deep RF but caught just in front of track. Mahoney walks again on 4 pitches. Vavra up.

valporun

Thanks for the updates, what's the weather like for today's game?

jetz

Vavra tips a pitch on 0-2 that catcher hangs on to for 2nd out. Mormon up. Catcher tries to throw ball behind Mahoney and throws it into RF. Mahoney moves all the way to 3B. Mormon works count to 2-2 before hitting one that takes a nice hop up to SS for third out. After 2 1/2 we are tied at 1.

jetz

GU DH Freshman Eric Webber leads off with grounder to hole at SS that Mahoney fields and throws low but a nice scoop by Loeffler gets the first out. Next batter hits first pitch to CF for a single. Clean up hitter pops one foul that Martin makes the catch down the line. 2 outs for next batter who rifles one right at Martin @ 3B for final out. Still tied at 1 after 3. DH Kowalczyk leads off the 4th for Valpo.

jetz

GU starting pitcher is diminutive senior lefty, Thomas Pulos who played his hs ball at Andrean in Crown Point. Kowalczyk falls behind 0-2 before hitting one off the end of the bat to the first baseman who makes the play unassisted. Loeffler lofts a fly to LF where its caught for 2nd out. Martin lays down a nice bunt that pitcher quickly fields but throws low. Play is scored a hit.   

jetz

Bynum skies first pitch into short RC field that falls when GU miscommunicates. Bynum ends up on 2B and Martin gets to third. Manning lines first pitch past SS into CF. Martin and Bynum score as throw is up 1B line. Johnson pops up to CF to end the inning. After 3 1/2, Valpo up 3-1.

jetz

DeBoo fields first pitch hit back to him for first out. Martin neatly scoops up a tough short hop and throws the ball up the line but Loeffler switches feet to get throw and 2nd out. Next batter hits slow roller to SS that Mahoney charges and makes solid throw for 3rd out. 3-1 Valpo after 4.

jetz

Mahoney leads off 5th with chopper to 2B for first out. Vavra flies to medium RF for 2nd out. Mormon pops up to 2B in shallow RF to end inning. Game is 1/2 over and Valpo up 3-1.

jetz

Sorry for not responding to questions earlier. I now know how to look for them so feel free to ask. Weather is sunny and 58 with little wind. Supposed to get up to mid 60s today and 70s later in the week. First batter lines out to Johnson in RF. Back to the top of the order where Martin cuts in front of Mahoney to make a nice play for 2nd out. DeBoo gets next hitter to chop one to Vavra to end the inning. Still 3-1 after 5.

jetz

Kowalczyk leads off against the soft tossing lefty whose FB has topped out at 81 so far. He cannot get change up in the dirt for 1st out. Loeffler lines one that 1B dives to his right to knock down. Flip to P gets him for 2nd out. Martin who has had some very good swings against this P lines one deep down to LF line but just foul. He then pops one down RF line that falls just fair for a single. Bynum up.

jetz

Bynum flies to deep LC to end the inning. DeBoo starts inning having thrown only 57 pitches through 5.

jetz

Leadoff man for GU hits humpback into LF for single. Clean up man hits a deep fly to RF that Johnson camps under for first out. Yesterday that ball may been out of here but whatever breeze we have today in coming straight in. Martin cuts in front of Mahoney to get lead man on softly hit grounder. Vavra's quick turn was just late. 2 out with a man on first.

jetz

Freshman LH C Nick Collins lines 1-2 fastball into LF for a single and 1st and 2nd runners. DeBoo hits next batter after almost hitting him on first pitch. Bases loaded.

jetz

Vavra ranges a few steps to his right to field soft grounder to end the inning. GU threatens but does not score. Still 3-1 Valpo after 6.

jetz

Manning leads off for Valpo in 7th. GU 2B ranges far to his left, fields it, spins and throws to get Manning by a step. Johnson lifts a fly to medium LC field for 2nd out. Mahoney lines one to LC but the wind has picked up to make it an easy catch for LF. Still 3-1 after 7 1/2.

jetz

DeBoo gets GU leadoff man to miss a sweeping down and out curve for his 1st strike out. Next batter nubs one back to DeBoo who flips underhanded to Loeffler for 2nd out. Easy inning for DeBoo as last batter hits slow roller up 1B line that Loeffler handles by himself. DeBoo is still hitting mid 80s with his FB but has used his cutter/slider a lot today.

jetz

Vavra leads off for Valpo in the 8th and grounds to 2B after a 10 pitch AB. Mormon lines one to CF that the wind gets a hold of and knocks down to allow CF to make the play. Kowalczyk lines a change between SS and 3B for a 2-out hit. Loeffler up hoping to get to Martin who has hit the ball hard today.

jetz

Loeffler lines one to opposite field but with wind now blowing in hard, LF had him played perfectly for 3rd out. DeBoo comes out to start the 8th after throwing 88 pitches thus far.