• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/12/13, 8pm - ESPN: Wright St. @ Valpo HL Championship Game Thread

Started by valpo04, March 10, 2013, 07:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Not going to overthink it, but valpohoops your explanation is a bit hollow. The whole point of a tournament is to celebrate the winner and the thrill of the competition. In the Olympics, the 2d and 3d place finishers are honored. I think WSU deserved (and should have been) to be out there and be congratulated. I know it's tough (been there done that), but someone once said you learn more from losing than winning. Losing graciously and being part of the congratulations to the victor is a teaching moment. And who cares what time it is, do you think they would have went straight to the bus if they had won? As I said, it didn't have to be Donlon, it could have been their captains. Frankly, sitting behind their bench watching Donlon and some of their players when they had the lead (Donlon could have been T'ed up and #4 came very close to bumping a ref (brushed the ref with his hand), it didn't surprise me all that much, just disappointing as they deserved a round of applause from an appreciative audience, remember we're not Detroit.

As another in the coming full circle category, did others notice that last year's and this year's finals ended on a dunk. :)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusadermoe

Yeah, the dunk by an unguarded Sledge at game end was really weird.    I guess you could call the dunk a "Sledgehammer" and cue up Peter Gabriel.    It seems it will be a Horizon League tradition to stage a dunk in the last second.   

Not really wanting to mock Wright State though.   They were fantastic on defense as many have already said in detail.     They will definitely be favored next year and they are very athletic as well as well-coached.  Jaran ? is a superstar in waiting just like the Cleveland St. kid who plays forward.   

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 13, 2013, 06:38:08 PMYeah, the dunk by an unguarded Sledge at game end was really weird.    I guess you could call the dunk a "Sledgehammer" and cue up Peter Gabriel.    It seems it will be a Horizon League tradition to stage a dunk in the last second.   
No no no he missed the point of my earlier post completely. If WSU had a 10 point lead at the time then Sledge should have taken the slam then followed it up with strutting and chest pounding (in order to build up next years rivalry and attendance).

If on the other hand we had the 10 points and the ball then I would have for voted for Will to go for the slam (not sure he can) followed by the obligatory ESPN camera dance (not sure he can do that either). I am pretty certain that if he could have pulled that off then both the Nutter and the ARC would have been filled to capacity for both of next years regular season matchups. :)

StlVUFan

Dunk at buzzer with huge lead = classless
Dunk at buzzer with huge deficit = weird, but no offense against class

That's my position and I'm sticking to it.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: valpo84 on March 13, 2013, 06:05:34 PMThe whole point of a tournament is to celebrate the winner and the thrill of the competition. In the Olympics, the 2d and 3d place finishers are honored.

I agree with this in the Olympic model. The Horizon League, however, does not give out silver medals (nor do most others...). By this logic (just using this as an absurdly ridiculous example) whoever from the other teams made all-tournament should have been there as well. They lost a heartbreaker, I don't think it should be expected of them to sit there and watch the team that beat them celebrate. As I recall, we did not stay on the floor last year...

As for Donlon, I was simply stating facts. Our guys were on the floor celebrating, he was alreaday giving interviews and the WSU writers were hurrying to get stories in. Had they won, the Dayton media would have covered the celebration and then rushed to meet deadline, just the same...and would have been late.

valpopal

For those interested, I have just posted about 50 new photographs from Tuesday evening to my blog, Valpo Basketball Photography: 2012-2013, including the three examples below. The photo journal now has 500 pictures from throughout the season. You are invited to browse: http://photography226.wordpress.com/