• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA Seeding (Updated through 3/16)

Started by ValpoHoops, March 10, 2013, 02:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

as of right now, loonardi has k-state in kc playing bucknell. we're back to the marquette matchup in san jose. and stl - i think southwest flies into that area, so i can't imagine it would get too terribly expensive. the hotels and food on the other hand...

vu72

I just looked and he has us a 13 playing St. Louis in San Jose
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I've not seen a concise version of the "rules" lately, if ever.

But surely, in the first round, they avoid regular season re-matches.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on March 17, 2013, 12:46:50 PM
I've not seen a concise version of the "rules" lately, if ever.

But surely, in the first round, they avoid regular season re-matches.

i believe so. and besides that, slu has jumped 2 lines in the last 20 minutes, despite still only being in the first half of their game at the barclay's center against vcu.

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 17, 2013, 07:33:37 AM
Lunardi now has Valpo in San Jose playing #4 Marquette.     

Other #4s are K-State, Michigan, and Wisconsin.      I got my wish for Wisconsin to beat the Hoosiers, now if we can just draw them for the first round........!
Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2013, 05:34:26 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on March 16, 2013, 12:55:41 PM
Last Lunardi bracket had us #13 in San Jose playing Arizona #4.    Wisconsin seeded #5 in same bracket.    That is a remotely possible for VU to the Sweet 16.

I would LOVE to see Wisconsin beat Indiana today and move up to a #4 so we could draw them.   They are slow enough for us to beat them.  Wisconsin might have risen to a #4 already after beating Michigan but doubtful.

Wisconsin is wright State but more over the top. They're the most painful boring team to watch and play very fundamental basketball. They are very beatable due to their poor offense, and they don't take advantage off forcing turnovers. They slow the game down and play excellent defense and limit their own mistakes.

With Valpo's propensity for turnovers I don't see anyway that Valpo wins over Wisconsin. The score may be low and seem like Valpo is always in reach of making a run but with the difference in number of actual shots due to Valpo having many more turnovers, Wisconsin would win by their usual margin from 5 to 15.  Against Wisconsin, the run would never come and frustrate us as Valpo fans to no end.

vusupporter

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2013, 01:26:33 PM

Other #4s are K-State, Michigan, and Wisconsin.      I got my wish for Wisconsin to beat the Hoosiers, now if we can just draw them for the first round........!
Last Lunardi bracket had us #13 in San Jose playing Arizona #4.    Wisconsin seeded #5 in same bracket.    That is a remotely possible for VU to the Sweet 16.

I would LOVE to see Wisconsin beat Indiana today and move up to a #4 so we could draw them.   They are slow enough for us to beat them.  Wisconsin might have risen to a #4 already after beating Michigan but doubtful.

Wisconsin is wright State but more over the top. They're the most painful boring team to watch and play very fundamental basketball. They are very beatable due to their poor offense, and they don't take advantage off forcing turnovers. They slow the game down and play excellent defense and limit their own mistakes.

With Valpo's propensity for turnovers I don't see anyway that Valpo wins over Wisconsin. The score may be low and seem like Valpo is always in reach of making a run but with the difference in number of actual shots due to Valpo having many more turnovers, Wisconsin would win by their usual margin from 5 to 15.  Against Wisconsin, the run would never come and frustrate us as Valpo fans to no end.

Wisconsin is 276th in the nation in defensive turnover percentage.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: vusupporter on March 17, 2013, 01:32:07 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2013, 01:26:33 PM

Wisconsin is 276th in the nation in defensive turnover percentage.

As a Badger fan as well, I really don't want to draw them. As supporter said, they don't force turnovers...they force you into late clock bad shots....which might as well be turnovers.

vufan75

Following the A-10 championship game, Lunardi has us still in San Jose, but now playing SLU. Don't think committee will do that since we played SLU this past December. Try again, Joe.

KL31NY

I don't know who's in charge of updating the online ESPN bracketology page, but nothing's change for a while. Ole Miss is still listed in "Last 4 In" even though they got the SEC autobid. BTW, how much lazier would it be to line up with the Rebels for the 2nd round?  ;D
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 17, 2013, 01:53:58 PM
As a Badger fan as well, I really don't want to draw them. As supporter said, they don't force turnovers...they force you into late clock bad shots....which might as well be turnovers.

They really ought to make" bad shots late in the shot clock" a turnover. It would be sort of like calling a penalty against a quarterback for intentional grounding.

justducky

So with New Mexico as a 2 or a 3 and St Lou as a 4 (maybe 1st#5) there are a number of teams in between with whom we can be competitive. If we stay on the 13 line (and we should) and if Michigan stays on the 3 line (and they should) it looks like it could be narrowed down to Syracuse, K-St, Arizona, Marquette, and Wisconsin in no particular order. Anybody out of that group would come to me as a slight surprise but who knows what they might pull out of their behind.

letsgovu

from bracket tips on ESPN (just aired)...

"a number 13 seed has beaten a number 4 seed in each of the last 4 years."

Smj

I think we got ripped off.   14     really....

GoPanthers33

You guys just got the shaft.

A 14 is terrible.

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on March 17, 2013, 05:08:31 PM
I think we got ripped off.   14     really....

Me too. But let's see who the other 13 and 14 seeds are and who they are playing. Yikes! Michigan State again. Lots of payback on the line but we'll need a huge effort to win in the Detroit area against the Spartans.

VULB#62

The chip has just landed on the shoulders of our lads.  MSU is gonna be tough, but at least we have a 'slight' to help motivate the team.

VULB#62

Summit (SDSU) drew 13.  COME ON MAN!  Summit > Horizon?  Please.  Where's the respect?

Respect:  CBS sends cameras to a bunch of 16 seeds  ??? ???

FWalum

Are you kidding me. How do they come up with that matchup. One of the last teams I wanted to see.  Was Michigan St the top 3 seed meaning we were the last 14?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2013, 05:15:33 PM
Summit (SDSU) drew 13.  COME ON MAN!  Summit > Horizon?  Please.  Where's the respect?

Respect:  BS sends cameras to a bunch of 16 seeds  ??? ???

As was stated previously, it's Valpo vs SDSU, not Horizon vs Summit. SDSU has the win over New Mexico.

valpo04

Surprise!

Most Online Today: 68. Most Online Ever: 68 (Today at 06:11:43 PM)

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2013, 05:19:56 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2013, 05:15:33 PM

Respect:  BS sends cameras to a bunch of 16 seeds  ??? ???

As was stated previously, it's Valpo vs SDSU, not Horizon vs Summit. SDSU has the win over New Mexico.

Exactly - It's SDSU > Valpo not Summit < Horizon
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Quote from: valpo04 on March 17, 2013, 05:36:42 PM
Surprise!

Wasn't 51 our previous high?

valpo04

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2013, 06:26:45 PM
Quote from: valpo04 on March 17, 2013, 05:36:42 PM
Surprise!

Wasn't 51 our previous high?

I believe so.

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

agibson

Checking the probards site
"Most users online was 211, Apr 11, 2008, 12:21am"

What was the occasion?  A.... couple of weeks after we exited the CBI?