• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Navy

Started by jetz, March 12, 2013, 10:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Lundden walk the next Navy batter and there's one on with one out.  Big #19 steps in a lifts a shallow fly to left that Morman handles for out #2.  I don't have a program, so not sure where we're at in the Navy order.  I'm posted away from the backstop, as I had to find an electrical outlet, table, and chair to set up my media center here at Lake Myrtle Sports Complex.  Lundeen induces a ground ball to short.  Mahoney flips to Vavra, and the side is retired. 
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Vavra starts the Valpo 4th with a routine fly to center.  Bain up with one away.  It's warming up a bit here now, probably 65 degrees under bright sun.  Bain chops to the ss hole.  He gloves it and makes a good long throw to get Bain by a step for out #2.

jetz

Loeffler drivs a ball to medium right, and the Crusaders go down 1-2-3 in the fourth.  Still leading by 5 as we head to the fifth.   :thumbsup:

jetz

Lundeen gets the Navy batter to hit a pop fly that looks like it might fall foul, but Johnson charges and makes the catch for out #1.  The next batter lifts a blooper to shallow left center.  Hara charges, dives, but can't make the catch.  He did knock it down.  By the time he gets to it, the batter slides into second base with a one out double. 

jetz

Navy follows up with a soft line drive over third.  The runners are now on the corners with one away.  Nobody working in either pen.

jetz

Lundeen issues a walk, and they are loaded for Navy with one away.  Right on cue, Lundeen gets a 6-4-3 DP to end the inning.  Vavra's throw this time was perfect.  5-0 Valpo mid 5.  Lundeen gives a fist pump as the Valpo bench explodes. 

jetz

Morman to bat for Valpo.  He bounces to short for the first out in the Valpo 5th.  Tonight we play at Chain O' Lakes stadium in Winter Haven.  It's the old spring training site for the Indians, and should be nice.  Martin bounces to short for the second out.  Johnson lays down a nice two out bunt.  But the pitcher makes a nice play to nip the speedy Crusader at first and end the 5th. 

jetz

Lundeen back out for the 6th.  The 7th inning has been the nemesis for Crusader starters of late, so we'll see how they handle the freshman today.  Lundeen cruising now as he gets a strikeout for out #1. 

jetz

Lundeen now issues a walk.  The next hitter flies to Johnson in right, who throws back to first to try to get the double play.  The throw gets by Loeffler, and the Navy runner advances to second, where he nearly faceplanted himself with a head first slide gone awry.Two away.

jetz

A wild pitch moves the runner to third.  Lundeen ends the Navy threat with a fly ball to center.  5-0 Valpo mid 6.

jetz

Cribbs will step in to lead off the Valpo 6th.  This game is moving right along.  1:10 in and we're almost through six.  Cribbs goes down looking for out #1.  Navy still with their starter.

jetz

Hara drives a hard shot to the right of first that the 1B can't handle.  Hara is quick, and he beats the toss to first.  Give him a generous hit there.  A passed ball moves him to second for Mahoney.  Mahoney bounces to the pitcher, who catches Hara in a run down off second.  Hara is tagged out and Mahoney advances to second during the run down.  Two away for Vavra.

jetz

Vavra flies to right to strand Mahoney.  It's still 5-0 after 6 in favor of the good guys.

jetz

Here's the fateful 7th.  Andy Burns takes over for Vavra at second base.  Not sure why.  Bryce Yoder and Mike Jacobs are tossing in the Valpo pen.  Lundeen gives up a leadoff single to open the Navy 7th.  Lately it seems like the starters have been given a very long leash when trouble arises in the later innings. 

jetz

Lundeen settles in a gets a K for the first out.  Here's a double roped out to left center.  I'd think about making the pitching change right now.  Here comes Coach Schmack to talk to Lundeen.

jetz

Navy has em at 2nd and 3rd with one away.  Valpo will stick with Lundeen.  The next hitter lifts a fly ball to center for Hara.  It's deep enough and the runner scores from third.  The runner at second stays there with two away.  Now 5-1 Valpo.

jetz

Lundeen gets a bouncer right back to him, and promptly throws it in the dirt.  Leffler bobbles at first, but is able to come up with the ball just in time to retire the Midshipmen in the 7th.  Noow 5-1 Valpo mid 7.

jetz

Bain bloops a ball off the glove of the second baseman for a single to right.  Loeffler moves him along to third with a single to center.  Navy will make a mound visit.  We have runners at the corners with no one out.  Navy sticks with the starter.

jetz

Morman steps in for Valpo.  He bounces to the pitcher, who starts a 1-6-3 DP.  Bain scores from third.  Now 6-1 Valpo. 

jetz

Now it's Martin with the bases empty.  He skies to right and the inning is over.  Lundeen's day is done as freshman Bryce Yoder toes the mound for the 8th.  Nice job by Dalton, who gave up one run over 7 innings.

jetz

Yoder is making his third or fourth appearance this year.  He gets a four pitch swinging K to open the 8th.  Fastball at 85 or so.  He's a mid-sized righty.  Jacobs still warming in the pen for Valpo.  Action in the Navy pen as well.  The batter laces a double to the 8-9 gap and there's one on and one out.

jetz

A wild pitch sends the Navy runner to third.  Yoder just needs to get an out here with a five run lead.  He gets it when Martin field a ground ball at third, looks the runner back, and throws a strike to first.  Two away.

jetz

Yoder working low in the zone.  He again gets a chopper to third.  Martin makes the play and Valpo is through the Navy 8th.  We lead 6-1.

jetz

No more action in the Valpo pen now.  Johnson step in.  He needs a hit to get himself going.  He fouls off a few pitches.  Now a few more.  Good at bat.  The Navy hurler wins it though when Johnson bounces to second.  One away.

jetz

Cribbs hits the first pitch back to the pitcher, who tosses to first for out #2.  Hara now up.  Bryce tags one to deep right.  The Navy right fielder looks up, and this ball is LONG GONE!  Solo shot for Hara makes it 7-1 Valpo.  The Mids will make a pitching change, as the Yale team shows up here for their game after ours.  We'll see them again tonight.