• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Nice story in USA Today

Started by vu72, March 13, 2013, 11:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Indeed - super story.  It reflects so much of the program's ideals and qualities.  They need to frame it in the BB office and also send it (or the link) to prospective recruits.

AND... this needs to be one of the centerpieces of information sent to ALL ALUMNI ASAP. This is a tipping point moment in VU as well as VU Athletic history, and it must be leveraged.  There are donations that can result from this (hopefully more so to the athletic department, but any added donations anywhere would great). 

HC

There is lots of new blood in the fundraising department and they are good at what they do.  They are going to run with this, this season is going to lead to more great things on the court in terms of recruiting and in the fundraising for the University and their athletic department.

a3uge

Quote from: HC on March 13, 2013, 03:07:33 PM
There is lots of new blood in the fundraising department and they are good at what they do.  They are going to run with this, this season is going to lead to more great things on the court in terms of recruiting and in the fundraising for the University and their athletic department.

Not to go completely off topic, but can't they start by selling the same Horizon League Champions shirts the players received at the celebration? Or even better, maybe they can sell SOMETHING on their athletic website like everyone NCAA team website in the country.  If they do have a link to a Valpo pro shop on http://www.valpoathletics.com/, I didn't easily find it... which is a problem.

letsgovu

there is one at the bookstore online site but its not the same...and not as nice as the players received.

VULB#62

Whatever.  Promote, promote, promote , promote..............

HC

a3uge

Okay didn't mean to gripe too much. Valpo seems to realize (finally) that a good athletics department can be a big asset to the University. If you go to http://www.bucknell.edu/ you will see no reference to their Patriot League title. Now go to valpo.edu... obviously looks great they have a team photo (with tons of diversity).

They could do a better job with merchandising though. Not sure how much money they could potentially make from that, but it's almost impossible to find a link to buy a Valpo shirt from the main page.

But I agree with VULB#62, they should be featuring these stories and spreading them on the website, to recruits, on twitter, etc.

okinawatyphoon

I was just going to post that, a3uge. Showing off our athletic success should be one of the first things people see when they look at our website.  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

oklahomamick

Does someone have a link to the championship t-shirts?  The link posted earlier does not work. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Don't think it's HL official haha

ml2

I doubt you will see anyone selling the exact shirts that the players got. If you look at them closely you can see that there is no team logo on them and I would guess that no business would try to sell championship t-shirts to Valpo fans that don't include our logo.

oklahomamick

What about buying valpo b'ball jersey?  Do they sell those anywhere? 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 13, 2013, 12:10:33 PM
Indeed - super story.  It reflects so much of the program's ideals and qualities.  They need to frame it in the BB office and also send it (or the link) to prospective recruits.

AND... this needs to be one of the centerpieces of information sent to ALL ALUMNI ASAP. This is a tipping point moment in VU as well as VU Athletic history, and it must be leveraged.  There are donations that can result from this (hopefully more so to the athletic department, but any added donations anywhere would great).

Someone in the development office is listening.  This AM I got a blast from Valpo Giving featuring the team in pictures and an "opportunity" to send a gift (and if it's by the 18th it will be part of an honor role shared with the team).  Way to go Valpo.  I sent in my gift to the Crusader Fund.

vu72

Just sent in my contribution!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Ray.weghorst

I could not agree more.  Mom and I are Valpo parents.  We are so proud of the school.  Those of you who got your educations there should count your blessings.  The '98 team was truly the prettiest Cinderella ever.