• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Bucknell

Started by jetz, March 14, 2013, 12:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Here we go from Aurburndale, FL and the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex for today's game between Valpo and Bucknell.  I am once again far away from the SIDs here at this multiple field plex so I won't have some of the details, but you'll get the idea.  I'm actually 10 feet outside the left field foul pole bringing you these updates due to electrical outlet availability...
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

Valposter

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

jetz

Wormington on the hill to start the 1st as Valpo is the home team today.  He mishandles a swinging bunt and the first hitter is on with an error for Bucknell...Now a sac bunt that the Braves hitter beats out and two are on with nobody out...

jetz

Valpo in all white today wioth the gold and black trim.  It's a brisk 65 degrees--I know, I'll take it--and breezy from left to right field.  I see Mark Johnson in left today and Andy Burns at third...more later on that.  The #3 hitter for Bucknell hits into a 6-4-3- double play and there's two away w a runner on third.

Valposter

Let's get a win for Worm today!!!!!!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

jetz

The cleanup hitter hits a sinking liner to right that Manning charges, dives, and.....makes the great catch for out #3!  Nice play as he holds the ball over his head for the ump.  No score mid 1.

jetz

Wormington is a tough luck 0-3 coming in to this game.  Should have had a win last weekend v. USF but was left in a bit long, IMO.  Mahoney steps in for Valpo.  Bucknell wearing navy blue tops w gold trim and grey pants.  Sunny here with just a couple of jet contrails dotting the sky.  This is a five field, all grass park, and all fields are busy w D1 and D3 collegiate action.  Mahoney singles up the middle to start the VU offense...

jetz

Vavra lays down a sac bunt, a little too hard to the 1st baseman.  Mahoney to second with one away.

jetz

The Braves' pitcher is Andrew Andreychik (AA) who is listed as both a P/INF.  He's a freshman righty.  I believe it was Bain that just struck out for Valpo for the second out.  Loeffler up.

jetz

Loeffler drives a ball that nestles into the glove of the right fielder for the 3rd out.  No score after 1.

jetz

Greg Wasikowski bounces the first pitch to Burns at third, who fires and retires.  One away.  Burns has played third, short, and second in this FL trip...

jetz

Now here's a fly ball to center.  Hara fades under it and puts it away.  Two down.

jetz

Quick inning for Worm as he coaxes a grounder to Mahoney.  The throw is high but Loeffler comes off the bag, catches, and tags the diving runner for the third out.  No score mid 2.

jetz

Manning now up for Valpo.  He's got a good AB going, fouling off a few pitches.  He finishes it with a line drive single to center, and Hara strides to the plate.

jetz

We're looking for OBP from our next two hitters, Hara and Johnson.  Both speedy and good on the bases.  Both have started slowly in 2013.  Hara lays down the sac bunt and does his job.  Manning to second, one away.

IowaAunt

Thanks jetz! Following your play by play from Maui.

jetz

Johnson to bat.  On a delayed still--I think miscommunication--Manning dives into third safe on a close call.  Johnson whiffs and there's two away.

jetz

Nice IA--Kari and Roy here w Grace...Burns steps in and bounces to the pitcher, who flips to 1st.  No score after 2.

jetz

The Braves third starts w a ground ball to Mahoney's backhand, who fields and makes a perfect throw for the first out...

jetz

Worm gets his first K on a slider.  Two down...

jetz

Here's a soft liner to left that falls for a single.  Cribbs makes a nice stop on a one hopper to the plate from Wormington, but his throw to second is late.  Wild pitch advances the runner.

jetz

Worm gets the Brave batter swinging to end the top of the 3rd.  Still no score.  BTW, this is the same Bucknell team that Yale beat in this tournament earlier.  We destroyed Yale last night, so Vegas has us as prohibitive favorites in today's contest.  However, this is baseball...

jetz

Sorry for the delay.  I had to run over to the stands to verify it, but freshman Jake Hanson stepped up for his first collegiate at bat.  He's also catching today, giving Cribbs a day off.  Hanson makes his first AB a good one, poking a single out to right.  Congrats to Jake!

jetz

Mahoney, in his second AB of the day, pops to shallow left for out #1.  Bain then hits into a 6-4-3 DP and the side is retired.  No score after 3.

jetz

Luke Lombardi is HBP to start the Bucknell 4th.