• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ask a Spartan...

Started by RBWSpartan, March 17, 2013, 08:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBWSpartan

Hey guys. In advance of our first round matchup, ask me what you want to know about MSU hoops (or the school). Looking forward to seeing you guys play in Auburn Hills. I won a ton of money off you guys in the Horizon League tourney (even if I was pulling for UDM)

walldozer

Welcome Spartan.

What did you guys think of Brandon Wood? 

crusaderjoe

In your opinion, what does Jim Larranaga do to Izzo's game plan that appears to disrupt Michigan State? I believe the last two times his teams have played you he's beaten MSU (George Mason a few years ago in the tournament and this year in Coral Gables).

Actually now that I think about it, maybe Bryce ought to call him for advice.

chipper955

Spartan,

How are you guys going to contain Horizon League Tournament MVP Erik Buggs?

RBWSpartan

Quote from: walldozer on March 17, 2013, 09:09:27 PMWelcome Spartan. What did you guys think of Brandon Wood?

We love Brandon. We was one of the few consistent outside shooters we had last year. Without him, we don't have a B1G Banner, and we do not beat OSU in the BTT and get that #1 seed. I realize that he is more a Crusader than a Spartan, but we gave him a year of master's for free, and he helped out our program in what could have been a down year.

RBWSpartan

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 17, 2013, 09:18:35 PMIn your opinion, what does Jim Larranaga do to Izzo's game plan that appears to disrupt Michigan State? I believe the last two times his teams have played you he's beaten MSU (George Mason a few years ago in the tournament and this year in Coral Gables). Actually now that I think about it, maybe Bryce ought to call him for advice.

I actually have never seen the GMU - MSU game from 2006. I was at a conference and, to this day, can't watch that game. However, both teams had bigs, and were senior dominated. Obviously that GMU team and this year's Miami teams were REALLY good.

Teams that tend to give us fits are teams that are tough, physical, and defend well (basically mirror images of us). Minnesota, for example, is a giant team that gives us fits. GMU and Miami both did that.

Of note this year when we played at Miami, we were bringing back Gary Harris from a shoulder injury, and our backup PG, Travis Trice, was out with a concussion.

RBWSpartan

Quote from: chipper955 on March 17, 2013, 09:29:06 PMSpartan, How are you guys going to contain Horizon League Tournament MVP Erik Buggs?

To survive at MSU, you have to play good defense - no matadors here. Both of our starting guards are excellent defenders, and our backup PG, Travis Trice, has over the past month or so become a much better defender.

walldozer

What is the best MSU message board?

milanmiracle

I'd just like to ask how you are enjoying Gary Harris and who do you think will guard Ryan Broekhoff?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

walldozer

Any feelings on campus on whether any of the State underclassmen are going to leave early for the NBA?

RBWSpartan

Quote from: walldozer on March 17, 2013, 10:09:08 PMWhat is the best MSU message board?

The Red Cedar Message Board - it's the wild west of sports boards. We have a ton of fans from other boards who stay because we're entertaining.

RBWSpartan

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 17, 2013, 10:11:28 PMI'd just like to ask how you are enjoying Gary Harris and who do you think will guard Ryan Broekhoff?

We love Gary. We would love him to spend another year on campus *hint hint*. If he spends a year and works on his ball handling, heals his shoulder, and adds some muscle, he'll be a top 10 pick.

As for Broekhoff, I'm guessing a mixture of Adreian Payne and Branden Dawson.

RBWSpartan

Quote from: walldozer on March 17, 2013, 10:14:56 PMAny feelings on campus on whether any of the State underclassmen are going to leave early for the NBA?

I think Harris sticks around. His shoulder isn't 100%, and he could use one more year of maturation. I think Adreian Payne sticks around. There was a feature on him on the Big Ten Network about his academic struggles in high school (he was put in the resource room), and he's matured to an academic all-american. I think getting his degree is REALLY important to him.

Basically, the hope is that everyone comes back, we lose Nix, and start the season ranked in the top 5 or so.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: RBWSpartan on March 17, 2013, 09:54:45 PM
Of note this year when we played at Miami, we were bringing back Gary Harris from a shoulder injury, and our backup PG, Travis Trice, was out with a concussion.

I knew MSU came down here banged up but didn't know the extent—clearly that worked to Miami's advantage.  I had to check the box score, but to me the thing about that game which really stood out in MSU's loss was that Miami's point production from its guards was really good that night.  They had three guards in double figures.  While MSU lost, a game like that still makes me nervous because as you said MSU was banged up, Miami is a good team, and it's not like MSU was blown out of the gym either not being at full strength.  We should still give Larranaga a call.

valpotx

Isn't it amazing the difference 1 year makes?  I remember how many of us felt that our loss to Miami in the NIT last year was a bad loss...then they are a top program this year:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2011-12/3095/valpo-vs-miami-03-14-2012/
"Don't mess with Texas"