• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Who gets the job if Bryce does leave?

Started by truth219, March 22, 2013, 10:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

Quote from: chef on March 23, 2013, 03:06:44 PM
If I was a gambling man.

That is the most ironic "if" I've ever seen in my life.

usc4valpo

Why Tonagel?  We need someone with Div. 1 experience.

Bryce will stay anyway.

Valposter

Quote from: a3uge on March 23, 2013, 11:11:57 AM
Is Bryce married? Why doesn't he have a super model wife? Gets no respect because of that damn astronaut.

Hilarious!!!!!!  Lol.  ;D
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

jimdandy

A Louisville assistant got the umkc job
I am sure we could get a better pool of candidates than they do

bbtds

Quote from: jimdandy on March 24, 2013, 11:33:24 AM
A Louisville assistant got the umkc job
I am sure we could get a better pool of candidates than they do

Yes, but as was mentioned previously, Valpo would, IF Bryce were to ever accept another offer, need a head coach that thinks of Valpo as a destination and has loyalty to Valpo.

Do you think that Louisville asst really cares anything about UMKC or does he see the job as a stepping stone to a bigger program?

Why would Valpo want an asst coach from the Big Six conferences, like this Louisville asst, unless he has ties to Valpo? You know he will jump at a better offer if he is successful at UMKC. I just don't feel Valpo is looking for this kind of coach. Valpo wants the Homer Drews of the world that like to stay in one place where they are appreciated and bring that program along a path that pushes that school up the ladder of success. I think Greg Tonagel, from nearby LaPorte, of all places, is exactly that kind of coach. Greg also has a deep faith that is evident in  his reason for attending Valpo in the first place and the reason he chose Indiana Wesleyan as the place he would stay for a while as head coach despite it's being in Div. II of the NAIA.   

vufan75

Quote from: vufan75 on March 23, 2013, 08:59:52 AMBill Donlon has done well as the Wright State head coach, and if memory serves me correctly he was an assistant at Florida under HC Bill Donovan.

Whoops. My bad in not checking deeper with my example of Donlan. I thought I had read or seen that he had been at Florida. Sorry for that piece of misinformation. However, I will stick to my point of IF (and there seems to be a question as to whether Bryce would leave now or not) Bryce did move to a higher profile conference or school, that my preference would certainly include seriously looking at major program assistants who might be ready for a head coaching job. I have nothing against Greg Tonagel in terms of him being a head coach, he is a wonderful person and good coach. Someone I think mentioned they would like to see him first as an assistant at a D1 program. He certainly "fits" in well at Valpo for many reasons. Regarding Valpo looking for another Homer Drew in terms of loyalty and staying at Valpo for years, IMO will be pretty hard to find these days. Homer was special and one of a kind in that regard, staying at Valpo for many reasons despite having several opportunities to move on during his career. Many coaches do move around a lot, some of them are very into moving up the ladder, with an eye toward a head coaching job somewhere, while others are comfortable and trusted as an assistant to a particular head coach who might move to what he thinks is a better opportunity and more $$. Of course there is no guarantee that a BCS type high major assistant will bring continued or even greater success to Valpo. Many have tried and for whatever reason it has not worked out. Even a very successful program and coach like Duke and Coach K. have had a number of assistant's move on to head coaching jobs, with mixed results. Salary expectations might be another issue to consider with any potential replacements as well.

I personally hope that Bryce stays for a long time, and brings continued success to the university and basketball program. Overall, he has done a great job as head coach these past 2 years, and I look forward to him raising the program to an even higher level. GO VALPO!   

valpotx

Does anyone remember what schools were after Homer, and if anyone made official offers?
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Quote from: bbtds on March 24, 2013, 12:27:30 PM
Quote from: jimdandy on March 24, 2013, 11:33:24 AMA Louisville assistant got the umkc job I am sure we could get a better pool of candidates than they do
Yes, but as was mentioned previously, Valpo would, IF Bryce were to ever accept another offer, need a head coach that thinks of Valpo as a destination and has loyalty to Valpo. Do you think that Louisville asst really cares anything about UMKC or does he see the job as a stepping stone to a bigger program? Why would Valpo want an asst coach from the Big Six conferences, like this Louisville asst, unless he has ties to Valpo? You know he will jump at a better offer if he is successful at UMKC. I just don't feel Valpo is looking for this kind of coach. Valpo wants the Homer Drews of the world that like to stay in one place where they are appreciated and bring that program along a path that pushes that school up the ladder of success. I think Greg Tonagel, from nearby LaPorte, of all places, is exactly that kind of coach. Greg also has a deep faith that is evident in his reason for attending Valpo in the first place and the reason he chose Indiana Wesleyan as the place he would stay for a while as head coach despite it's being in Div. II of the NAIA.

No.   In Division I, you need to produce.  Loyalty is nice, but you need to produce.  At DePaul, they let Joey Meyer coach for 14 years and watch the program deteriorate to what it is today.  You need loyal people but people who can do the job.  Also, suppose Tonagel is successful - do you think he would look at other suitors for better opportunities.  Of course he would, just like any of us.

Tonagel is coaching at Div 2 NAIA - at this day and age, I feel he is not ready to coach at Valpo.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 24, 2013, 02:33:51 PMAt DePaul, they let Joey Meyer coach for 14 years and watch the program deteriorate to what it is today.

It seems that the answer to that was simple. If Joey Meyer at DePaul or Greg Tonegal, if he were to be given the Valpo head coaching job, do not live up to the standards as a head coach that were expected of them when they were hired then they must be let go and replaced. Who knows why Joey Meyer was not replaced earlier than the 14 years he spent at DePaul. I would suspect that his father, Ray Meyer, had a lot to do with it. I don't think even Homer Drew or Bryce Drew would have be given 14 years to be successful. If any coach does not live up to their expectations given at the time they were hired that coach should be fired and a replacement found. 

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 24, 2013, 02:33:51 PMTonagel is coaching at Div 2 NAIA - at this day and age, I feel he is not ready to coach at Valpo.

Okay, maybe Greg Tonegal should be hired as a Valpo asst coach now so that he can be part of the succession plan in place. His salary might have to be increased to the level he's making at Indiana Wesleyan or near that level.

vurich

Quote from: valpotx on March 24, 2013, 02:11:54 PM
Does anyone remember what schools were after Homer, and if anyone made official offers?

If I recall correctly, I believe St. Louis showed significant interest and may have also made an offer. I remember that many of us felt if Homer was going to leave VU that might be the one program he would leave for given he is a native of St. Louis.

cmack

I think it's obvious!!!  Dana gets the job next!

zvillehaze

Quote from: vurich on March 24, 2013, 05:01:54 PM

If I recall correctly, I believe St. Louis showed significant interest and may have also made an offer. I remember that many of us felt if Homer was going to leave VU that might be the one program he would leave for given he is a native of St. Louis.

Bryce's name has also come up on the SLU board as a potential replacement for Crews if he doesn't return.  bbtds is active on that board, so he can probably share his insight.

usc4valpo

Quote from: cmack on March 24, 2013, 05:51:12 PMI think it's obvious!!! Dana gets the job next!
Bring back Tom Smith and that incredible 36-34 win over UWGB in 1984!   Wow, those were some brilliant coaching moments back then.

HC

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 24, 2013, 05:59:15 PM
Quote from: vurich on March 24, 2013, 05:01:54 PM

Bryce's name has also come up on the SLU board as a potential replacement for Crews if he doesn't return.  bbtds is active on that board, so he can probably share his insight.

I think I convinced them that SLU is not the "right" place for Bryce as head coach. SLU is in a big struggle over whether their president, Father Lawrence Biondi, who hired Rick Majerus on the recommendation of a donor by the name of Chaifetz (yes, they named their arena after him and he supposedly paid most of Majerus' large salary) should be retained as president. President Biondi has made huge improvements to the SLU campus in midtown St. Louis that have really helped SLU progress as a school but recently the faculty senate group, or whatever they call it, gave him a no confidence vote because they say he rules with an iron fist and it's Biondi's way or the highway. Subsequently the faculty feel that Father Biondi has driven many of the highly paid respected faculty away and that has hurt the school's academic reputation. The law school dean at SLU recently resigned due to his relationship with Father Biondi.

I'm not sure Bryce wants to walk into a situation like that and is supposedly the reason Jim Crews has not made a committment to continue to coach at SLU by taking the head coaching position. Crews' official position is that he would not talk about the head coaching position during the season so that it would not distract the players. The situation with SLU's president must effect how Crews feels about taking the head coaching job permanently. 

Majerus was known to have some run ins with Father Biondi but Rick said he learned to deal with it and wouldn't leave because of Biondi. It was rumored that Biondi cancelled some flights and made the team take the bus due to the high costs of flying a team. Biondi couldn't see the importance of the basketball team over other SLU groups that had their expense accounts cut. Biondi would do these kinds of things without consulting the coach, AD or others in the athletic department.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 24, 2013, 06:16:42 PMBring back Tom Smith and that incredible 36-34 win over UWGB in 1984!   Wow, those were some brilliant coaching moments back then.

I thought the Dana Drew Shaw line was the line of the night until this one.

Also, I read bbtds' long thread being like "wow!  bbtds is on the board of SLU?  wow!  must be loaded!  but he's always been really fair-minded and pro-Valpo!"

...and then i realized, board, not BOARD.  sigh.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 24, 2013, 08:34:50 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 24, 2013, 06:16:42 PMBring back Tom Smith and that incredible 36-34 win over UWGB in 1984! Wow, those were some brilliant coaching moments back then.
I thought the Dana Drew Shaw line was the line of the night until this one. Also, I read bbtds' long thread being like "wow! bbtds is on the board of SLU? wow! must be loaded! but he's always been really fair-minded and pro-Valpo!" ...and then i realized, board, not BOARD. sigh.

I was there during the infamous 1983-84 year where they were going to turn it around.  The slogan was "next year is here," where the Messiah Rob Harden had his temper fit and fleed to Reno because he did not get his way. It was a sad season, and it was amongst the worst coaching I have ever seen.  The talent was not adequate, but the coaching was brutally worse.  I was surprised Tom Smith lasted 8 years. I guess he could not make it in Div. 1.

Guys, take it easy on Bryce and the timeouts.  It can be much worse.

valpopal

Ben Howland is now available, since he was just fired by UCLA. Seriously, the most interesting note in the article about Howland's firing is the following: "The Bruins will now, according to sources, target high-profile coaches such as Butler's Brad Stevens and VCU's Shaka Smart."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21940447/official-ucla-fires-howland-

Some predictions on who gets the job at UCLA or USC:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21940454/coaching-predictions-where-do-ucla-usc-turn

usc4valpo

I think UCLA AD Dan Guerrero is targetting Chaka Smart.

Now UCLA and USC are looking for new coaches.  I wonder if the Beach and Loyola Marymount are next....

They can bring in Phil Jackson, Will Ferrell, Ryan Seacrest, Lindsay Lohan, ....

valpotx

I don't see Stevens leaving Butler for UCLA.  It's a constant pressure cooker environment for a HC, and you don't get to make your name synonymous with the school (it will most likely always be Wooden's school).  He can make great money in this new Big East, and make his name the same as Few/Gonzaga, Coach K/Duke, etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Haven't seen Dan Dakich's name surface in this discussion... He's from the Region. Knows Indy HS hoops. I'll duck as the shoes fly at me....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: valpo84 on March 24, 2013, 11:10:01 PM
Haven't seen Dan Dakich's name surface in this discussion... He's from the Region. Knows Indy HS hoops. I'll duck as the shoes fly at me....

Dan Dakich's son played for Zionsville over the past few years so it obvious that Dan lives in Zionsville now. zville, what do you know about Dan Dakich's son's time at Zionsville and what influence has Dakich had over the Zionsville basketball program. I would think that Dan Dakich and his son might be a package deal to which ever program is willing to take them both.

zvillehaze

Quote from: bbtds on March 25, 2013, 05:31:01 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on March 24, 2013, 11:10:01 PM

Dan Dakich's son played for Zionsville over the past few years so it obvious that Dan lives in Zionsville now. zville, what do you know about Dan Dakich's son's time at Zionsville and what influence has Dakich had over the Zionsville basketball program. I would think that Dan Dakich and his son might be a package deal to which ever program is willing to take them both.

I have zero inside information.  Dan's son did play for Zionsville, but don't believe Dan was involved with the program beyond being a supportive parent.  Andrew has had interest from mid-major type schools and has preferred walk-on offers from Purdue and Butler.

As for coaching, Dan has repeatedly said on his radio show that he enjoys what he's doing and doesn't currently have an interest in coaching.  That's all I got. 

crusaderboy

I would think there would be only one job left for Brad Stevens, and it is currently occupied by a d***head egomaniac who has the candy stripers on the verge of a Final Four.