• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big Men coming?

Started by rlh, May 14, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bg321

Word is Vashil will be on campus today (Saturday).
Life Is Good

sectionee

Will it be announced today?  He has been on campus for several days now.

zvillehaze

Anyone have any updates on Fernandez?  Is he still on campus?  Will there be an official announcement?  Just curious.

sectionee

He is still there, thats all I got.

historyman

I stopped by the ARC and saw Vashil shooting free throws. Just in my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, he looked extremely raw and uncoordinated. Some of the other players standing around said he has a lot of work to do but has great potential. I did see him stand under the basket and pin the ball against the rim (underside) while standing flat footed. He certainly is tall and looks athletic. There was also a Nigerian who was looking for a prep school in the United States because he is a senior in high school who was playing with the guys in the pick up game and looks extremely extremely athletic. Much more coorinated than Vashil. Fairly tall too. Maybee 6-7, 6-8.

Valpo89

Quote from: historyman on August 04, 2011, 12:03:31 PM
I stopped by the ARC and saw Vashil shooting free throws. Just in my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, he looked extremely raw and uncoordinated. Some of the other players standing around said he has a lot of work to do but has great potential. I did see him stand under the basket and pin the ball against the rim (underside) while standing flat footed. He certainly is tall and looks athletic. There was also a Nigerian who was looking for a prep school in the United States because he is a senior in high school who was playing with the guys in the pick up game and looks extremely extremely athletic. Much more coorinated than Vashil. Fairly tall too. Maybee 6-7, 6-8.
Was the Nigerian kid named Leke Solanke? Heard he may be going to Hammond Baptist or Lalumiere because whatever kind of a visa he has won't allow him to go to a place like Valpo High School. Heard he lives with a family in Valpo.

historyman

Could have been. I didn't ask his name. He would be a good recruit in so many ways.

valpopal

Leke Solanke, who currently does live in Valpo:

Leke Highlights "18 yrs 6' 6 Shooting Guard"

historyman

I can't honestly say I recognize him but his style is the same as #3 in green. I would agree that could be the guy I saw playing at the ARC.

vu72

That kid looked like a program changer.  Very impressive.  As for Fernandez, my guess is that Bryce will redshirt him as we've added some size with Richie and Dino as well as perhaps having Vuc ready to contribute.  Should be interesting!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hoopfan22

Fernandez isn't coming to redshirt. He's not going to redshirt.

historyman

My opinion again. Fernandez will look worse than Vucic did last year if he does not redshirt.

sectionee

With summer classes ending this week I suspect we will hear something about him soon, right?

hoopfan22

Quote from: historyman on August 05, 2011, 05:53:15 AM
My opinion again. Fernandez will look worse than Vucic did last year if he does not redshirt.

Oh i agree with you fully. I'm just telling you, he wasn't brought here to redshirt. It's not happening.

cmack

I love raw talent.  Translation = he will have a career game 3 years from now with a stat line of 8 points and 4 rebounds.  I am not a fan of recruiting for height alone when they only end up taking up space at the end of the bench.

PatVU07

Oh come on now....Mousa and Omar were both raw talent that turned out great.... *rolls eyes*

valpotx

Oumar had a decent career as a 6'7" PG at Richmond.  Nothing tremendous stat-wise, but he started most of his career there when he transferred.

Moussa had his moments as a defender/rebounder.  I will take guys that are tall and can contribute 15+ minutes/game any day (Antti, Moussa, etc).
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: historyman on August 05, 2011, 05:53:15 AM

I know Fernadnez isn't official, but if he's no better than Vucic, I wonder why Valpo apparently had no interest in Humes (if you believe the Lazerus article).  I assume that with a shortage of scholarships, Valpo assumed they had all the bigs they needed.

valpopal

I'm willing to wait and see with Fernandez since ESPN's rating of him is two stars and an 86, which is higher than Edwards or Jakolis and just about the same rating that Green Bay's very good big man Alec Brown had as a recruit.

valpopal

Here is a list of uncommitted Indiana recruits that includes Brent Calhoun, a big man (6'8" 250 lbs.) from Warren Central for whom Valpo had shown interest in the past. He already has a few offers, including Appalachian State, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, and Lamar. He is reportedly still developing as a player. How good he can be will not be proven until he performs in his senior year.

Still, I understand he would prefer to stay in Indiana and is visiting schools this month, believed to include IPFW, IUPUI, and Valpo. However, I wonder if Valpo's interest has lessened recently, especially since available roster space should be limited next year.

I believe Nick Osborne, who is on the list and was considering Valpo in the past, has just received an offer from Northwestern.

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2011/07/31/updates-on-several-uncommitted-2012-players-and-a-couple-2013s/

vu72

not sure there will be any spots available next year scholarship wise.  We lose Cam and add Bobby.  At this point I don't expect anyone to leave.  Top to bottom we will be very talented and very deep.

As other have said, our scholarship balance is a little off as we only lose one player this year and five the following year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofan56

Quote from: vu72 on August 06, 2011, 12:06:26 PM
not sure there will be any spots available next year scholarship wise.  We lose Cam and add Bobby.  At this point I don't expect anyone to leave.  Top to bottom we will be very talented and very deep.

As other have said, our scholarship balance is a little off as we only lose one player this year and five the following year.

Bobby is already on scholarship isn't he? He just can't play until next year.

cornonthe

Quote from: valpofan56 on August 06, 2011, 01:33:15 PM
Quote from: vu72 on August 06, 2011, 12:06:26 PM
not sure there will be any spots available next year scholarship wise.  We lose Cam and add Bobby.  At this point I don't expect anyone to leave.  Top to bottom we will be very talented and very deep.

Bobby is already on scholarship isn't he? He just can't play until next year.
Yes, Bobby is on scholarship even though he's a mandatory redshirt per NCAA rules on transfers...

vu72

You are correct.  I'm confusing roster spots with scholarships.  Which brings us back to another issue:  We have one too many guys on scholarship unless somone is leaving or paying their own way.   ???