• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ray McCallum has decided to enter the draft

Started by valpopal, April 27, 2013, 04:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Which basically means that he will have to earn his way from the NBDL to the NBA.  Not many second rounders make their first NBA roster during their first year
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: wh on June 27, 2013, 11:42:06 PMNot a bad outcome for Mr. McCallum.  RLH used to always say that if you're good enough, the NBA will find you.  Seemingly, playing for a Mid Major didn't hurt him in the slightest.
Let's be truthful here, he will most likely end up with a slightly longer professional basketball career than Rowdy. We had all hoped that the virtuous style that Ryan projected on the court, in the classroom, in the community, as a faithful member of the Valpo athletic department, and as a family friendly personality would propel Mr. Broekhoff to a more successful career than Mr. McCallum. But, as we have seen during the NBA playoffs and championship round the NBA is about raw talent and it is more of an individual sport than almost every other professional team sport, except maybe baseball, and despite all the virtures that Rowdy possesses it's the raw talent that pays in the NBA. I believe Ryan will have a more productive and fulfilling life but Ray McCallum Jr. will have the more successful professional basketball career.

Although he is way behind Norris Cole in NBA championships already. And somehow that makes me feel good.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

sliman

Without taking time to look it up, memory leads me to think that McCallum's position in the draft was very close to that of Sheldon Mack.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

In all seriousness, he was pick #34 in 2011.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/kings-select-ben-mclemore-first-round

And with the second-round pick, Ray McCallum is just one of the classiest young men you'll ever meet and a heck of a player."

said Kings General Manager Pete D'Alessandro.

valpotx

I guess he is really good at fooling people  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: agibson on July 03, 2013, 10:44:31 AMQuote (selected)
And with the second-round pick, Ray McCallum is just one of the classiest young men you'll ever meet and a heck of a player."
I am sure that Ray has some fine qualities that we are not yet ready to appreciate, but we all know that the above statement is one of those fill in the blank "coachspeaks " (this time delivered by the GM) which are thrown out to the crowd in the absence of much detailed knowledge.

Heck, if I were to do enough research I could probably find a Dave Bliss quote saying the exact same thing about Carlton Dotson.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: justducky on July 03, 2013, 02:40:42 PMHeck, if I were to do enough research I could probably find a Dave Bliss quote saying the exact same thing about Carlton Dotson.
ouch...

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

tx, not sure I would buy too much into the NBA Summer League stats, as they just look more like a 1-on-1 fest for the draftees to show why they were drafted, so fans can shut their traps about bad drafting in the second round. I would wait to pay more attention to Ray when the preseason games get underway, even though most of those won't be on tv, and if they are, they'll be on NBA TV in tape delay.

valporun

I didn't think second rounders were allowed guaranteed contracts? 3 years gives for some time to develop into the point guard he could be once the hype for the other three players he's going against for the rotation spot fizzles.

valpotx

Geez, I still very much hope he fizzles out completely
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valporun on July 19, 2013, 10:49:09 AM
I didn't think second rounders were allowed guaranteed contracts? 3 years gives for some time to develop into the point guard he could be once the hype for the other three players he's going against for the rotation spot fizzles.

They aren't automatic like first rounders but his agent seems to have gotten that for him anyway.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on July 19, 2013, 02:14:27 PMThey aren't automatic like first rounders but his agent seems to have gotten that for him anyway.
If that's true, that's an amazing job by his agent.  We'll see if he can back it up.