• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball v. Goshen College

Started by jetz, April 29, 2013, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetz

Spencer Mahoney, the 7'2" shortstop (7'5" with the 'fro) steps in.  He works a walk (small target) and heads to first.  He takes a big lead, and there he goes to second!  He slides in safe with Vavra at the plate.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

Vavra already has a ground rule double in the game today, and this time laces a double to left as Mahoney trots home.  9-4 Valpo.

valpotx

Sounds like we will get the expected win to improve to 19-23.  Hopefully we beat WMU tomorrow to get one step closer to 0.500!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

John Loeffler, your new HL Batter of the Week, backs up that title with a rocket to right.  The ever so fleet 1B lumbers all the way around to third.  Holy cow, that ball was tattooed!  Vavra plates Valpo's 10th run of the contest.

jetz

Now young Chris Manning strides to the plate.  He lifts a deep fly ball that's way back to left.  It could be, it might be, but it's caught at the wall.  Loeffler scores on the sac fly.  Now 11-4 Saders.

jetz

Andrew Bynum works a walk and there's still one away.  Schneider pops to second for the second out.  Johnson flies out to left, and that'll end the 8th.  Valpo leads in 11-4.  Looks like Mike Jacobs is trotting in for the ninth.

jetz

Jacobs is a fifth year senior who has been drafted in the first round of the MLB draft...TWICE.  He turned down both offers because he "just wanted to give my all to Valpo."  Seriously, Mike will be a civil engineer upon graduation this year.  The first batter hits a ground ball to Vavra and it goes through the wickets.  The E4 puts a runner on first.

jetz

Jacobs is an off speed throwing lefty, and he baffles the next two Maple Leaf hitters, recording a pair of strikeouts.  Two away and Goshen is down to their last out.

jetz

And Jacobs completes the work of art in the 9th with yet another K.  Mike strikes out the side and Valpo wins its fifth straight, 11-4.  My secret updater believes the energy was a bit down today, but they'll take the win.  Valpo is now 19-23 on the season and getting hot at the right time.  That's all from beautiful Emory G. and we'll see you all again here tomorrow night when we take on Western Michigan.  (Maybe, if I get another secret updater.)  Drive safe everybody.

Valposter

As always, thanks for the colorful update Jetz!   ;D
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

FWalum

I am not a real baseball guy, but how can you not enjoy that colorful play-by-play.   O0  :rotfl:  :clap:
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show