• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football 2011 Recruiting Class

Started by Crusader65, May 20, 2011, 08:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader65

I know there are rules governing the announcement of I-AA non-scholarship commitments but can anyone tell us anything such as size of class - most from where - key needs being addressed - caliber of the standard Pioneer Conference recruit?

vu72

I can't, and don't have any insites other than what Coach Carlson has said in his blog.  I think without benefit of being part of a national signing day they have to wait to see who actually deposits before announcing that so and so is going to be on the roster next year.  The class must be done by now so would expect an announcement very soon.  Some of the tape I've watched on a few players does look promising and they are coming from all over the country.

In the meantime, can you enlighten us about the picture 65??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader65

Quote from: vu72 on May 20, 2011, 10:00:45 AM
I can't, and don't have any insites other than what Coach Carlson has said in his blog.  I think without benefit of being part of a national signing day they have to wait to see who actually deposits before announcing that so and so is going to be on the roster next year.  The class must be done by now so would expect an announcement very soon.  Some of the tape I've watched on a few players does look promising and they are coming from all over the country.

In the meantime, can you enlighten us about the picture 65??

The picture is of the 1971 Butler vs VU Game Ball that I have as a prized possession.  It is signed by all the members of the team, coaches and equipment managers.  The score at that time was the largest victory total against Butler in a Valpo game.  Valpo 48 - Butler 12.  I got a blocked punt and ran for touchdown, 3 sacks, fumble recovery, 2 pass breakups and 14 tackles.  In all, a good day at Butler Bowl!

okinawatyphoon

The new recruiting class for 2011 was just released, and these boys are from all over the country, literally! Here is the press release.
http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/default/173/10840/
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Crusader65

Just saw the announcement on the Valpo site about the 51 new students for the Football Program.  I stated it this way because I'm sure they are all good students but we just don't know how good they are on the field.  I can only commnet on the one closest to me.  Gabriel Ali El is a wingback/runningback that played at Baltimore Polytechical Institute and was a top performer on that team for the last two years.  He fits the Carlson offense well and will suprise some if he continues to work hard and improve his upper body strength.  I believe he was overlooked by bigger programs because he has a slow 40 speed (5.02) recorded at a Rivals camp along with a 5-9 189# frame.  His speed is deceptive and I believe he was not coached how to get a better time for the camp.  He seems to have the right demeanor for the game and uses his leg strength well.  He can run patterns and catch passes too.  I think he will be just the guy for a turnaround program and I hope he can stay healthy.

covufan

I'm really impressed by the national recruiting effort.  Congrats to Coach Carlson and his staff!