• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Big news on the video front!!

Started by vu72, August 15, 2013, 02:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

For the first time, maybe ever (I can remember maybe two total games broadcast) Valpo will be broadcasting football games as well as softball and a bunch of other games and added video features and reports.  The AD is listening and this is a HUGE improvement!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/archives/2013-14/12837/valparaiso-announces-video-offerings-for-2013-14-season/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Definitely a big sell to any recruits for these sports.  Now that their parents can watch from their home PC, maybe we can keep getting even better recruits!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

A nice improvement, but....NO BASEBALL???
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

historyman

Quote from: jetz on August 15, 2013, 08:49:39 PMA nice improvement, but....NO BASEBALL???

Actually, jetz, I think you're the man to raise the money to get the necessary equipment installed at Em Bauer Field in order to get live video streaming of Valpo home baseball games.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valporun

jetz, if I remember correctly, they don't have the internet connection ability out at Bauer Field to get games shown online. They can do phone wires to get audio for games, but they don't have ability to get video cording over there in terms of the expense for it. ValpoFred would be a good one to discuss this with.

NuPudge

Will there be a cost to stream this or is it free to everyone and if not free what is the cost?

vusupporter

All Horizon League Network video is free.

valpotx

Hopefully we will get that ability sometime soon for baseball, but it does sound like a large cost to do so based on previous discussions.  Maybe our new baseball stadium on campus (in the long-term plan) will happen sooner, so that it becomes a non-issue in 5 years  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on August 17, 2013, 02:39:10 AM
Hopefully we will get that ability sometime soon for baseball, but it does sound like a large cost to do so based on previous discussions.  Maybe our new baseball stadium on campus (in the long-term plan) will happen sooner, so that it becomes a non-issue in 5 years  ;D

Dreamer by Roger Hodgson - Voice of Supertramp - singer-songwriter and composer

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no
I said, "Dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer"
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no
I said "Far out, what a day, a year, a laugh it is"
You know, well you know you had it comin' to you
Now there's not a lot I can do
Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer
So now you put your head in your hands, oh no

I said "Far out, what a day, a year, a laugh it is"
You know, well you know you had it comin' to you
Now there's not a lot I can do

Work it out someday

If I could see something
You can see anything you want boy
If I could be someone
You can be anyone, celebrate boy
Well if I could do something
You can do something
If I could do anything
But can you do something out of this world?

Take a dream on a Sunday
Take a life, take a holiday
Take a lie, take a dreamer
Dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dream along

Dreamer, dreamer, dream along
Come on and dream, dream along (Come along)
Come on and dream, dream along
Come on and dream, dream along
Dreamer (Come on and dream, dream along), you know you are a dreamer (Come on and dream, dream along)
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no (Come on, come on)
I said dreamer (Come on and dream, dream along), you're nothing but a dreamer (Come on and dream, dream along)
Well can you put your hands in your head (Come on, come on), oh no, oh no

jetz

Quote from: valporun on August 16, 2013, 11:07:53 AM
jetz, if I remember correctly, they don't have the internet connection ability out at Bauer Field to get games shown online. They can do phone wires to get audio for games, but they don't have ability to get video cording over there in terms of the expense for it. ValpoFred would be a good one to discuss this with.
What are the connections needed again?  Just a standard internet cable?  Or fiber?  The coaches have high speed internet in the clubhouse.  And the Marriott Courtyard 25 yards away from home plate has internet.  What's so hard about this?

valporun

Not sure which cables exactly, but they just don't have them at Bauer Field.

jetz

ValpoFred would be a good one to discuss this with.
How do I reach him?  Can't find him in message recipient list on this forum...

historyman

Quote from: valporun on August 19, 2013, 12:05:48 PMNot sure which cables exactly, but they just don't have them at Bauer Field.

I'm sure it has to do with the kind of cables that can carry HD programming.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo04

Quote from: jetz on August 20, 2013, 10:11:03 AM
ValpoFred would be a good one to discuss this with.
How do I reach him?  Can't find him in message recipient list on this forum...

It's Valpo_Fred:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=247

agibson

In general - nice to hear about the expanded video plans, including the coaches' show.

Nice that they'll handle the men's basketball press conferences.

I'll be curious to see if they manage more professoinal commentary for the soccer games!

valporun

agibson, I'm going to say that soccer games will be WVUR sports kids, just because it is hard to find many people that know enough about soccer to cover it, and will practically get paid nothing to do so much work to prepare for a college soccer game at a university that doesn't have a long soccer tradition of conference titles and NCAA appearances that go deeper than the first round regularly.

agibson

Quote from: valporun on August 22, 2013, 12:26:35 PMagibson, I'm going to say that soccer games will be WVUR sports kids,

Yeah, I shouldn't expect too much, certainly.  Some WVUR influence might actually help - they might feel obliged to nod towards professionalism.

The game I remember best seemed to have a couple of the team's buddies, maybe a couple of reserve members, doing the call.  It was like listening to a couple of college students hanging out - lots of inside jokes, very informal chit-chat, etc.  They knew something about the game, which was good, but it was a very strange broadcast.

In related news - did I hear Aaron Leavitt on the railcats broadcast last night?  I only heard a couple of minutes, was it some kind of a gust appearance?  It doesn't look like he's a regular there - but may once have been their official scorer?

LaPorteAveApostle

i'm sure they just bring him in from time to time to inject a little Leavitty into a long season
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valposter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 22, 2013, 01:50:40 PMi'm sure they just bring him in from time to time to inject a little Leavitty into a long season

HaHa, well, as long as they Aar(on) the side of caution in over-using him!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valporun

Yeah, agibson, I remember that game. It sounded like a couple of guys watching the game from their dorm room, and just clowning around.

I do recall Aaron being the official scorer at times for the Railcats.