• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The New 2013 FB Season

Started by VULB#62, August 24, 2013, 10:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

vu72, is Todd Ickow associated with any sportscaster talent agencies? I believe BTN, ESPN, and other networks that carry college sports are only looking at broadcasters from talent agencies, not your average joe who has the talent to do it, but is independent of talent agencies out there. With his resume and background, he has the talent, but also, isn't this more of a "hobby" for Todd, and not an everyday job for him?

vu72

Quote from: valporun on August 27, 2013, 09:30:21 AM
vu72, is Todd Ickow associated with any sportscaster talent agencies? I believe BTN, ESPN, and other networks that carry college sports are only looking at broadcasters from talent agencies, not your average joe who has the talent to do it, but is independent of talent agencies out there. With his resume and background, he has the talent, but also, isn't this more of a "hobby" for Todd, and not an everyday job for him?

Good questions and I have no idea.  I doubt Valpo could pay him enough to be a full time job but when you think about it, it might be.  He travels with both the football and basketball teams and that means leaving on a Friday for a Saturday job or on a Wednesday for a Thursday job and returning on a Friday (I'm thinking of the up coming ND football game).  Perhaps it is like a teacher's position with pay being spread out over the full year even though the work is concentrated in a smaller window. In Todd's case from late August through Mid-March.  I'm guessing he might just supplement his Valpo income with a card game or two?  :crazy:

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 26, 2013, 07:09:55 PM
Quote from: setshot on August 26, 2013, 12:27:47 PMFortunately for the Valpo alums in this area,ESPN is televising the game between the USC Gamecocks and the UNC Tarheels on Thursday night. That,in addition to being a good game,will take our minds off the UND-Valpo game. However I am sure we will see scores that are on the trailors that flash across the screen.We hope we won't be too embarrassed as I am sure Valpo will lose by 40+ points. On the positive side the USC-UNC game starts at 6pm,whereas UND-VU starts at appx. 8:00 pm. So, we won't see the final score of the debacle. GO COCKS! :thumbsup:
Always remember, there is only REAL USC, and they are the students studying in South Central LA.  Fight on!!!!!
I've heard a few other people, especially in South Carolina, that use the USC term - incorrectly in my view as well!

When I first moved to Colorado six years ago I heard a reference to UNC.  I'm thinking UNC Tarheels, but it was University of Northern Colorado.  Whenever I hear UNC on the radio or TV, or see it in print, I still think Chapel Hill first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Colorado_University

covufan

Every time I tune in to a VU basketball or football broadcast, I'm pleasantly reminded how lucky we are to have Todd doing our games.  His professionalism, play-by-play ability, and ad-lib commentary are truly unique and his voice and knowledge of both games and the VU teams is pleasant to hear. 

I hope that the BTN or ESPN Midwest gives him a call for a game or two in the next few years.  Does he still have "cooking" duties?

vu72

Quote from: covufan on August 27, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
Every time I tune in to a VU basketball or football broadcast, I'm pleasantly reminded how lucky we are to have Todd doing our games.  His professionalism, play-by-play ability, and ad-lib commentary are truly unique and his voice and knowledge of both games and the VU teams is pleasant to hear. 

I hope that the BTN or ESPN Midwest gives him a call for a game or two in the next few years.  Does he still have "cooking" duties?

That restaurant was sold several years ago.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

Todd Ickow is a full-time poker player, who works for Valparaiso University because of "the love of the University"  ;D
I did check on one other item - Jake Hutson can bench press 300 lbs. The 475 was a clear mis-quote or mis-print.

valpotx

Quote from: covufan on August 27, 2013, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: setshot on August 26, 2013, 12:27:47 PMFortunately for the Valpo alums in this area,ESPN is televising the game between the USC Gamecocks and the UNC Tarheels on Thursday night. That,in addition to being a good game,will take our minds off the UND-Valpo game. However I am sure we will see scores that are on the trailors that flash across the screen.We hope we won't be too embarrassed as I am sure Valpo will lose by 40+ points. On the positive side the USC-UNC game starts at 6pm,whereas UND-VU starts at appx. 8:00 pm. So, we won't see the final score of the debacle. GO COCKS! :thumbsup:
Always remember, there is only REAL USC, and they are the students studying in South Central LA.  Fight on!!!!!
I've heard a few other people, especially in South Carolina, that use the USC term - incorrectly in my view as well!

When I first moved to Colorado six years ago I heard a reference to UNC.  I'm thinking UNC Tarheels, but it was University of Northern Colorado.  Whenever I hear UNC on the radio or TV, or see it in print, I still think Chapel Hill first.

It's the same with UT, which is absolutely not the University of Tennessee.  UT should only be used when referring to the University of Texas, which is almost always at the top levels of the Capital One Cup each year...
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: chef on August 27, 2013, 02:04:39 PM
Todd Ickow is a full-time poker player, who works for Valparaiso University because of "the love of the University"  ;D
I did check on one other item - Jake Hutson can bench press 300 lbs. The 475 was a clear mis-quote or mis-print.
;)
;D

I'm sure Jake was happy with the misquote, probably carrying around a copy of the article to show the ladies!

historyman

Quote from: covufan on August 27, 2013, 05:04:37 PM
Quote from: chef on August 27, 2013, 02:04:39 PMTodd Ickow is a full-time poker player, who works for Valparaiso University because of "the love of the University"
;D I did check on one other item - Jake Hutson can bench press 300 lbs. The 475 was a clear mis-quote or mis-print.
;)
;D
I'm sure Jake was happy with the misquote, probably carrying around a copy of the article to show the ladies!

It's certainly something I would not have bet any money on.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

The Game Notes for the UND game have been posted.  A look at the 2-Deep shows some interesting things:

5 freshman made it in the second 22; no starters
OL is pretty big:  (6-5 300, 6-4 275, 6-1 255 6-4 287, 6-5 275)
Lots of familiar names on both sides of the ball -- they played a lot of youngsters last year
DL looks smallish (6-4 205, 6-4 245, 6-1 240)
LBs are good sized (5-11 220, 6-3 235, 6-3 220, 6-1 205)
Only 1 freshman made the 2-Deep on defense -- Bama Powell (6-3 308)

Another game we should keep tabs on for perspective -- Dayton @ #24 YSU -- as we got crushed the last two years by YSU.  Interesting to see how Dayton, one of the better PFL teams, does.

Also Butler is at #7 South Dakota State and USD is at #11 Cal Poly.  These two are the #2 and #1 preseason PFL picks.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 28, 2013, 07:33:52 AM
The Game Notes for the UND game have been posted.  A look at the 2-Deep shows some interesting things:

5 freshman made it in the second 22; no starters
OL is pretty big:  (6-5 300, 6-4 275, 6-1 255 6-4 287, 6-5 275)
Lots of familiar names on both sides of the ball -- they played a lot of youngsters last year
DL looks smallish (6-4 205, 6-4 245, 6-1 240)
LBs are good sized (5-11 220, 6-3 235, 6-3 220, 6-1 205)
Only 1 freshman made the 2-Deep on defense -- Bama Powell (6-3 308)

It is hard to believe but we actually got smaller on the starting DL. We currently list 3 guys who were DE's last year as our starters. 

Also a surprise is at K/P where Pando who struggled at best last year not only held onto the Kicker job but won the punting duties as well.

Because of a redshirt we have 6 returning starters on the OL.

vu72

The return of the entire offensive line should bode very well for guys like Jake Hutson which also should help us throw the ball down the field a little more.  This should be interesting...

valpotx

What a cool name for a football player, Bama Powell :).

I would have thought that our new FR kicker would win that battle with his HS honors, especially since we were afraid to kick FGs last year with our kickers.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on August 28, 2013, 11:17:58 AMWhat a cool name for a football player, Bama Powell :). I would have thought that our new FR kicker would win that battle with his HS honors, especially since we were afraid to kick FGs last year with our kickers.
I admittedlly am not close to the football program and I am just a casual outside observer, and I don't know anything about any of the kickers in question other than what everybody else knows.  But, how can an incoming All-State kicker not win the job over the placekicker we had last year when we struggled to make extra-points and wouldn't even attempt field goals last year?  I'm just curious.......anyone closer to the football program have insight on this?  Was last year's placekicking difficulties more on the offensive line protection, long-snap execution, and/or the hold as much as the kicker?  I don't get it.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

milanmiracle

Only thing I can think of...new guy is hurt? Then again maybe they couldn't find him when they were making out the depth chart. I mean they lost the kicker last year, it could happen again.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

sliman

Quote from: valpotx on August 27, 2013, 02:10:58 PM
Quote from: covufan on August 27, 2013, 11:52:59 AM

It's the same with UT, which is absolutely not the University of Tennessee.  UT should only be used when referring to the University of Texas, which is almost always at the top levels of the Capital One Cup each year...
The uninfomed might think VU refers to Vanderbilt University or Villanova or Vincennes.  But there's only one Valpo in college sports!

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on August 28, 2013, 11:17:58 AMI would have thought that our new FR kicker would win that battle with his HS honors, especially since we were afraid to kick FGs last year with our kickers.
If he becomes the main kicker, do we start the chant: "Hello, Newman"

valpopal

Just a reminder for those who get the Fox Central Sports Channel, the Valpo vs North Dakota game is on at 7 p.m. Central time. In the Valparaiso region, Comcast carries the network on Channel 414.

VUdad

Heard that Pando will punt and kick off, and the new guy will rotate in on PATs. Two PATs were missed in the Brown Gold game, so the coaches are likely (wisely) letting the new kicker work through butterflies before counting on him. The redshirt freshman kicker, Young, looked the most solid at the scrimmage. Hope he gets on the field.

valpotx

Anyone able to view this game on the Big Sky network?  I am having trouble, and it appears I installed everything that was required, because the demo video functions.
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

If I just heard right, we got a couple first downs and punted... then they get a 75-yard touchdown pass thrown by a quarterback playing his first collegiate snap
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

KL31NY

And now they return a punt 64 yards for a touchdown. Two touches, two touchdowns. 14-0 North Dakota early in the first quarter
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

valpotx

Never mind, I don't want to watch now lol.  They just returned a punt for a TD too...2 touches for 2 TDs...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I'm having trouble getting the WVUR feed on my iPod, but found a station in Grand Forks, ND covering the game in the Tune-In radio app. Not sounding good for us at all, but even Todd Ickow said this would be ugly when I emailed him earlier today.

KL31NY

21-0 North Dakota _________ over the Valparaiso Crusaders after one quarter