• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU @ St. Joe's

Started by VULB#62, August 30, 2013, 03:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

Well our extra point defense is solid. One missed, one blocked and a failed 2 pointer. We should be leading at half but the special teams basically handed over 6 points with a blocked punt.  We can win this game....

IndyValpo

We add a FG. Now down 18-16. Defense with second 4th down stop in a row!

rink

Valpo takes the lead, 23-18?  Three minutes left in the third.

rink

Back to trailing, 24-23 with 14 minutes to go in the game.

milanmiracle

And to the surprise of well...nobody who actually pays attention to the football program...because in the end, St. Joe is not named Campbell.

St. Joe 34 - Valpo 31.

:-[

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Ouch.  Bummer.  These kids need a W bad.

IndyValpo

Broken record time, we don't know how to win because rather than schedule a winnable opener we choose to play someone we can't compete with. This is a game we should win.

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 07, 2013, 06:09:12 PM
Ouch.  Bummer.  These kids need a W bad.

Yes, yes they do. Keep trying guys!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 07, 2013, 06:36:32 PMBroken record time, we don't know how to win because rather than schedule a winnable opener we choose to play someone we can't compete with. This is a game we should win.
Indy, this should be a game they should win.  I am not sure blaming the North Dakota loss has anything to do with this loss.

IndyValpo

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 07, 2013, 07:23:13 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on September 07, 2013, 06:36:32 PMBroken record time, we don't know how to win because rather than schedule a winnable opener we choose to play someone we can't compete with. This is a game we should win.
Indy, this should be a game they should win.  I am not sure blaming the North Dakota loss has anything to do with this loss.
If it does it is minimal.....I just wanted to put some "insanity" out there.

usc4valpo

hey, at least it is not me starting the insanity - I don't want to get folks upset.  Losing to St. Joe's is not good.  They need to brush it off and beat the ham and egger team at home next week.

historyman

I was at the game. It does seem that this team is snake bitten. St. Joe's is a team we compete against but until the Crusaders actually get over the hump of winning a close game they don't seem to have the confidence to do it.

I believe the all-state kicker,Newman, gained a lot of confidence in this game. After he hit the upright with his first extra point, he hit a line drive that sneaked in on his second extra point, then on his third extra point and field goal he looked pretty smooth. He popped it up and got more distance and hit it straight like a good bunker shot in golf.

There are still way too many receivers letting well thrown balls go right through their hands. You really can't blame Hoffman for those.

I don't think Hoffman reads plays all that well. He seems still too tentative when the play breaks down and he has to make a decision. It just comes too slow to him.

The defense was able to make some good stands in the 2nd and 3rd quarters which was encouraging. The fourth quarter the secondary seemed to lose their man too much and couldn't seem to make down field tackles at all.

On the final drive the line seem to break down, mostly because #57 went down with the knee injury, and that hurried Hoffman which is not a good combination.

Gladney, who himself had a few balls go right through his hands, did make a couple of great catches.

The progress is still very slow but there is some progress being made.

I agree with those who want to stick with games against beatable teams. Wins are what this team needs.

I was half expecting to get behind by 7 immediately but this team actually made a game breaker on the third play of the game. Which very much startled me. Who knew?

I think the players should keep competing and they can show some progress this year.

I don't want to be the AD, who by the way was right there on the sidelines with the team evaluating, making the decision about the future of Coach Carlson at Valpo if they win 3 games this season.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

chef

Newman did not miss an extra point, that was Young. Newman did handle all the kicking duties after that first miss.

historyman

Quote from: chef on September 08, 2013, 07:03:23 PMNewman did not miss an extra point, that was Young. Newman did handle all the kicking duties after that first miss.
My bad. That certainly was a good decision. By the end of the game Newman looked confident and had that form you know is capable of making a bunch of EP's and FG's.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

chef

Newman was a definite positive...and there were a few other items to be encouraged about. Sophomore LB Alex Green was all over the field and the main reason why St. Joe's could not run the ball. Also, our kick coverage (punts and KO's) was the best it's been in many years. Have to feel good about this coming Saturday.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on September 08, 2013, 11:19:27 PMNewman was a definite positive...

yea, verily, and it hath been foretold...

Eph 4:22, 24:
put off the old man...and put on the NEWMAN
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

willy

Quote from: historyman on September 08, 2013, 11:55:57 AMI was at the game. It does seem that this team is snake bitten. St. Joe's is a team we compete against but until the Crusaders actually get over the hump of winning a close game they don't seem to have the confidence to do it. I believe the all-state kicker,Newman, gained a lot of confidence in this game. After he hit the upright with his first extra point, he hit a line drive that sneaked in on his second extra point, then on his third extra point and field goal he looked pretty smooth. He popped it up and got more distance and hit it straight like a good bunker shot in golf. There are still way too many receivers letting well thrown balls go right through their hands. You really can't blame Hoffman for those. I don't think Hoffman reads plays all that well. He seems still too tentative when the play breaks down and he has to make a decision. It just comes too slow to him. The defense was able to make some good stands in the 2nd and 3rd quarters which was encouraging. The fourth quarter the secondary seemed to lose their man too much and couldn't seem to make down field tackles at all. On the final drive the line seem to break down, mostly because #57 went down with the knee injury, and that hurried Hoffman which is not a good combination. Gladney, who himself had a few balls go right through his hands, did make a couple of great catches. The progress is still very slow but there is some progress being made. I agree with those who want to stick with games against beatable teams. Wins are what this team needs. I was half expecting to get behind by 7 immediately but this team actually made a game breaker on the third play of the game. Which very much startled me. Who knew? I think the players should keep competing and they can show some progress this year. I don't want to be the AD, who by the way was right there on the sidelines with the team evaluating, making the decision about the future of Coach Carlson at Valpo if they win 3 games this season.
I don't think this team is snake bitten at all.  The difference between winning and losing a game like this is being fundamentally sound which we were not on Saturday.  A bad snap on a punt, a sure TD dropped and poor tackling on one of their receivers was the difference.  I agree with your assesment of Hoffman,  when the play breaks down or we have pressure on the QB we have no chance.  He goes down under pressure without being hit.  On a critical play in the fourth quarter, at the fifty yard line we faced a 3rd and 5, the pocket broke down Hoffman scrambled with one man to put a move on or lower his shoulder to get the first down and he slid two yards short of the first down.  We had the lead at that point, should have gotten the first down and continued to eat the clock and possibly put more Points on the board, at least a field goal.  Two plays later St. Joes scores on a 15 yard completion turned into 60 yard touchdown by poor tackling.  I saw bright spots in the running game, and some real nice LB play.  I think we can beat William Jewel but we have to make the routine play when its right there in front of us.