• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Previews USA Today

Started by wh, September 17, 2013, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on October 22, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
video:

http://youtu.be/O8Ln87UScR4

I think its pretty clear that Bobby was targeting the spot where Anderson was going when Anderson turned back for the showboat slam which resulted in the collision. 
The title of the video seems to be in conflict with your statement which I agree with.  If Anderson only had a 30" vertical this wouldn't have even been a blip on the thug radar.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on October 22, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
video:

http://youtu.be/O8Ln87UScR4

I think its pretty clear that Bobby was targeting the spot where Anderson was going when Anderson turned back for the showboat slam which resulted in the collision.

If not for the Anderson showboating, it looks like Capobianco probably would have had a clean block.  Seems unfair to give him a technical for that. 

However, as Mr. Oren pointed out in his excellent "What If" series this summer, that play was a very important moment in the season.  For the upcoming season, Capobianco will be way too valuable to risk ejection with a play like that, but maybe some bench players can be used for similar plays to ignite the team when needed?

Valpo2010

While I do love the commissioner's write ups...I think he missed one key comparison between the 2 programs for this year...

Bryce Drew vs. Ray McCallum Sr.

...and I think we know who has the edge in this one  ;)

classof2014

Definitely not a thug play. Capo was trying to make a clear play on the ball and Detroit was up something like 20 or so points at the time. If anything Anderson was more in the wrong because he was basically showing us up. If he just goes for the layup perhaps it still gets blocked but it probably doesn't turn the momentum of the game in our favor. So I guess we owe a big thank you to Mr. Doug Anderson for his showboating because it might have saved our season.

Thanks Dougie!

a3uge

I find it ironic how a UDM fan chooses to use the word "thug" to describe Bobby Capobianco. Just not a very good insult.

The paragraph about "If the Titans won x,y,z,q,r,s game then we would've been an at large 10 seed" was particularly hilarious. Hasn't he ever seen the Mighty Ducks? A quarter of an inch the other way and youda missed completely. The Titans could have easily lost to MILWAUKEE last year, which would have been horrifying to their supposed "10 seed at large" bid. It also took layup at the buzzer to beat Loyola, so this whole notion of marking all these close games as wins is asinine.

As far as his Valpo analysis, it's pretty much the same I think about any analysis of this year's Valpo team: we don't really know yet. Making player vs player comparisons on guys that haven't played significant minutes is kind of silly. I trust Bryce Drew and Co. to produce more conference wins than McCallum's posse. Valpo did an incredible job of developing players like Broekhoff, Kenny, Buggs, and Van Wijk. None of those guys were highly-sought recruits. They did a great job of finding roles for these talents and putting them into situations where they could be successful. Detroit, on the other hand, has had multi-star recruits, including an NBA player and an NBA summer league player walk in and out the door with only a 15 seed in the tourney to show for it. So naturally, I trust Valpo in developing the unknowns better this year than Detroit.

vu72

I just watched it about 10 times and here is what I saw: Capo has his hand straight up when Anderson turns his entire body, legs and arms, into Bobby trying to wind up for the slam. I'm pretty sure his arms made first contact with Bobby's chest but his legs are also turning to effective undercut the hard charging Bobby.  Now, obviously he wasn't trying to undercut Bobby but the way Bobby landed his body was turned as a result of Anderson's legs being swung into him.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

I reread this thread. We were really wrong about U-W-Milwaukee. They were an average Horizon League team that apparently got hot the last week and won the conference tournament. Not the disaster we were all expecting.

Anyways, here's some hilariously horrible predictions:

Quote from: vu72 on September 20, 2013, 09:27:35 AMFunny how nobody has even mentioned Lexus Williams on this board.  Where do they find this stuff?  Nothing against Lexus, and I hope he does very well, but a guy like Alec Peters, who was widely recognized as one of the top players in Illinois and who had offers from several BCS schools or Clay Yeo, who was an Indiana All Star, would seem more likely to garner this sort of prediction.  This stuff is laughable on many fronts.  With Carter and last year's Sixth Man of the Year playing point, I doubt Lexus will see the floor much his freshman year.

Quote from: classof2014 on October 01, 2013, 02:12:47 PM5th: Green Bay

One of the most overrated HL teams in my opinion. They do have one of the best all around players in Keifer Sykes but Alec Brown is a nothing more than a tall twig that is a decent shooter. Let us not forget the issue surrounding their head coach during the off-season as they saw a lot of players opt to transfer from the program. This was also a team that greatly underachieved last season, they were supposed to challenge for the HL crown and yes they did almost beat Valpo in the tournament but the fact is they didn't and they were handled pretty easily by them two other times. This team has a lot of questions around it and how will the team preform, will Alec Brown step-up and become an elite in the HL or will he continue to be nothing more than a twig that is a decent shooter.

1st Team

Kendrick Perry (PoY): Kendrick Perry is by far the best player in the HL. He's a threat whenever he has the ball and can single handily beat any team that YSU plays.

Bobby Capobianco: A big man who can shoot the three also a terrific rebounder. Capobianco is poised to have a great year. Let us not forget last year he as an assist away from a Triple Double, this was from the bench as well. The Indiana transfer should have a great season as he becomes a leader on a young Valparaiso squad.

And a mostly true prediction :p

Quote from: a3uge on October 10, 2013, 04:44:00 PMAs for Wright State's bad OOC: this will end up to hurt them if they end up making the tourney. They will have to either beat Georgetown, or if not, win literally every other OOC game to build a reasonable RPI/resume for the selection committee. Dropping a game to a team like NC A&T would be devastating. It's my opinion that the winner of the HL will not be above a 14 seed this year due to the closeness/mediocrity of all of the teams. Wright State would likely have to only drop a couple of conference games to gain a reasonable RPI. Since the whole Horizon will be hovering over a 125 RPI this year, they're not going to get any big wins in conference. Like when Valpo beat Detroit each of the past two years, they could point to a top 100 RPI win. Wright State may only have one opportunity to do this when they play their first D1 game against Georgetown (CBS Sports predicts them to finish 3rdish in New Big East). Of course, this could change if enough bad teams win their conference tournament (last year there weren't too many upsets).

I would say the same thing about Green Bay as well. It helps they don't have any difficult OOC road games this year, but they'll need to win AT LEAST ONE of those games this year.

LaPorteAveApostle

My gosh, hilarious.  Just a good read.

Also, the whole "thug" discussion is interesting now, in light of Richard Sherman's insinuation that calling a black man a "thug" is the new "n-word".

Capo's...um...he's pretty white.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2014, 08:10:09 PMQuote from: vu72 on September 20, 2013, 09:27:35 AM Funny how nobody has even mentioned Lexus Williams on this board.  Where do they find this stuff?  Nothing against Lexus, and I hope he does very well, but a guy like Alec Peters, who was widely recognized as one of the top players in Illinois and who had offers from several BCS schools or Clay Yeo, who was an Indiana All Star, would seem more likely to garner this sort of prediction.  This stuff is laughable on many fronts.  With Carter and last year's Sixth Man of the Year playing point, I doubt Lexus will see the floor much his freshman year.
Any time that Carter takes because he comes closer to fulfilling his very lofty expectations will most likely come from Lexus' time on the floor. Maybe vu72's prediction was only off a year.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann