• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. San Diego

Started by setshot, October 26, 2013, 04:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

LaPorteAveApostle

WELL DONE.

Also, this means that he's more of a Trekkie fan than an Osteentatious fan.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

I am far from being a Trekkie or Trekker, but I figured out the Star Trek analogy.  As an engineer, I am an oddball as I was never into Star Trek or Star Wars or anything like that.

I was just wondering where Shields Up came from, this was never said until recently.  It is kind of goofy...I hope it does not go into the basketball season.

You guys are providing excellent humor and wit, which is required when following these guys.

"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means 'a whale's vagina.'" — Ron Burgundy

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 30, 2013, 03:34:45 PM
WELL DONE.

Also, this means that he's more of a Trekkie fan than an Osteentatious fan.
I think he and Fuzzy were throwing them back long before there were Trekkies.

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 29, 2013, 09:14:10 PMI'm with H-man. Back in the distant dark past when armies fought with swords and spears, I would think that a basic command to prepare for battle would be "shields up." Probably would never have been spoken then, but maybe in some obscure movie now. I was a history major and my advisor was Dr. Willis Boyd. I was deeply saddened when he passed away. Great lecturer and was the reason I chose that as a major. Well, that's not totally true. I was originally pre-dent, but organic chemistry killed me. Now I am an IT Project Manager. Who wuddah thunk?
Willis Boyd!  I was in engineering, but I remember him as I had freiends who were history majors.   I once went to a trip to the local Porter County museum and he was there - he was a character and a very nice person.  Another excellent lecturer was Ferencz Kallay. 

usc4valpo

Shields Up Baby!

Wow, the enthusiasm is absolutely zilch going into this game tomorrow.

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 29, 2013, 03:51:19 PM
again, when did they start saying this "Shields Up" slogan?  Are we are trying to shield ourselves of bird droppings from above?

Possibly, but they'd lose the shields like they lost the kicker
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 01, 2013, 10:10:27 PM
Shields Up Baby!

Wow, the enthusiasm is absolutely zilch going into this game tomorrow.

Yep, I think this about sums it up...

"Just because we're labeled as a mid-major school, a lot of that comes from football. We don't have a football team, so that's why we get labeled as a mid-major," he said. (Shelvin Mack - Butler)

Basketball has started at Valpo and we're following a 1 win non scholarship football program with grand dreams of playing .500 football. I am surprised anybody even noticed there is a game.

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 02, 2013, 09:54:45 AMWe don't have a football team, so
he said that?  that is PRICELESS
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 02, 2013, 09:54:45 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 01, 2013, 10:10:27 PMShields Up Baby! Wow, the enthusiasm is absolutely zilch going into this game tomorrow.
Yep, I think this about sums it up... "Just because we're labeled as a mid-major school, a lot of that comes from football. We don't have a football team, so that's why we get labeled as a mid-major," he said. (Shelvin Mack - Butler) Basketball has started at Valpo and we're following a 1 win non scholarship football program with grand dreams of playing .500 football. I am surprised anybody even noticed there is a game.
Man Shelvin Mack was great.  Great comment.  I wonder what the attendance will be today.

I have found little news or information on this game.  For San Diego,  I wonder if Champ Kind from the Channel 4 news team will provide updates.  Whammy!

Ron Burgundy: You stay classy, San Diego. I'm Ron Burgundy?
Ed Harken: Dammit. Who typed a question mark on the Teleprompter?

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 02, 2013, 09:58:59 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 02, 2013, 09:54:45 AMWe don't have a football team, so

Reminds me of when Valpo was on ESPN last year and the announcer made a comment like "Good thing Valpo doesn't have a football team because they would be recruiting Capo if they had one"

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 02, 2013, 09:58:59 AM

Yep, he said that. Interestingly enough, I don't think he caught a lot of flack from the football team. They were interviewed after the quote and didn't seem too offended. Even if they were, who was going to badmouth Shelvin Mack?

usc4valpo

Valpo down 23-7 at half.  After a blocked FG, they had the ball on their 20 with 2 1/2 minutes left, and ran it.  They got a first down with 50 sec at their 37, and they still ran it.   I could hear the parents yelling at Carlson on the sidelines.  I have a feeling very few students are attending this).

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 02, 2013, 01:18:01 PM
Valpo down 23-7 at half.  After a blocked FG, they had the ball on their 20 with 2 1/2 minutes left, and ran it.  They got a first down with 50 sec at their 37, and they still ran it.   I could hear the parents yelling at Carlson on the sidelines.  I have a feeling very few students are attending this).

Wow, I just read the game log...way to build on the momentum of a blocked kick by basically letting the clock run out. Impressive. I wish I was surprised, but I am not. Oh well... ???

*and then he wonders why they can't finish games.

usc4valpo

37-7 with 4:45 left in the third. The defense is beat up.  I cannot understand with the offense is doing.

milanmiracle

San Diego 58 - Valpo 14

What more can be said?

usc4valpo

What can be said?

1.  62 and I were closest to the pin (closest to the score), I think.
2.  The 2 minute first half play calling was pathetic.  The wind excuses were bogus.
3.  San Diego won 58-14.  SD is not used to colder weather and you have a 2 hour jet lag for a noon game (thus 10 AM for them). Pretty pathetic to lose by this score.
4.  Iclow was way too optimisitic during the broadcast.  Sometimes you need to be a little critical.  After Valpo scored to make it 37-14 in the fourth quarter, he made it sound as if they were back in the game!   Sorry Todd, you are good, but Eric Hoffman is not Marcus Mariotta and our offense is not Oregon.
5.  Throw the ball more to Tiabi!  Yes, I am the master of the obvious.
6. Defense was on the field way too long and got tired.  San Diego was coasting in the third and fourth quarters.
7. Carlson's post game comments were his usual.  His responses are as consistent as the recorded TSA messages at O'Hare on the loudspeaker.  Valpo needs a obvious change in the coaching staff.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 02, 2013, 04:24:23 PMIclow was way too optimisitic during the broadcast.

First thing I would do is call him by his real name which is Ickow, not Iclow. He surely deserves you spelling his name correctly.

IndyValpo

Sounded strange but that is what appears to have happened. It is even worse than that, we actually took a timeout with time for the last play and then ran again. Here is another classic, after the punt block safety we actually kicked off (no one at any level kicks after a safety). We kicked off out of bounds. You can't make these things up.

usc4valpo

Quote from: bbtds on November 02, 2013, 04:29:45 PM4. Iclow was way too optimisitic during the broadcast. Sometimes you need to be a little critical. After Valpo scored to make it 37-14 in the fourth quarter, he made it sound as if they were back in the game! Sorry Todd, you are good, but Eric Hoffman is not Marcus Mariotta and our offense is not Oregon.
4.  Ickow was way too optimisitic during the broadcast.  Sometimes you need to be a little critical.  After Valpo scored to make it 37-14 in the fourth quarter, he made it sound as if they were back in the game!   Sorry Todd, you are good, but Eric Hoffman is not Marcus Mariotta and our offense is not Oregon.

k and l are close to the keyboard

milanmiracle

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 02, 2013, 06:10:25 PM

Sounded strange but that is what appears to have happened. It is even worse than that, we actually took a timeout with time for the last play and then ran again. Here is another classic, after the punt block safety we actually kicked off (no one at any level kicks after a safety). We kicked off out of bounds. You can't make these things up.

Didn't Valpo have some issues with punters the weeks before? Sick, missing, whatever? If that's the case, I might understand the kickoff. Doesn't make it any better that he kicked it out of bounds, but are we really surprised?

usc4valpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 02, 2013, 06:10:25 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 02, 2013, 01:18:01 PMValpo down 23-7 at half. After a blocked FG, they had the ball on their 20 with 2 1/2 minutes left, and ran it. They got a first down with 50 sec at their 37, and they still ran it. I could hear the parents yelling at Carlson on the sidelines. I have a feeling very few students are attending this).
I am not sure what to think of this performance.  It was interesting and depressing at the same time.

I saw the Carlson post game quote:

"We did some positive things in the first quarter, but we didn't do ourselves any favors by giving them good field position," head coach Dale Carlson said afterwards.

Perhaps the offensive game plan can show more creativity and success to avoid giving the opponent good field position.  Just a thought...

LaPorteAveApostle

to finish with more Burgundy:

"Go @#$ yourself, San Diego."

usc4valpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 02, 2013, 09:46:07 PMto finish with more Burgundy: "Go @#$ yourself, San Diego."
I wonder if the Torero seniors are going to Tino's after they land to hear Ron Burgandy play some jazz flute.  Also, Champ Kind has to be pleased with the result as the Toreros stay on top of the PFL...