• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Put your Football Head Coach ideas here

Started by IndyValpo, November 12, 2013, 07:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Additionally, there was no video preview as in past weeks and normally the pregame article doesn't get released until elate Thursday/early Friday. Let's face it, Carlson's removal was big news in the early portion of the week. I'm confident the spotlight will return to the kids as the game approaches.

usc4valpo

Quote from: chef on November 14, 2013, 01:46:48 PMI'd guess one reason Dale was let go before the last game, was so the focus would be on the Srs and not when the coach was going to be let go.
chef, I agree, I also think this was a strong statement by MLB that they want stakeholders to know there is a deficiency and changes are required.

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on November 14, 2013, 09:45:07 AM
Given the nepotism mindset at Valpo a concern of mine and of many 50's graduates is that we not go that route again. Does anyone know whether ML.the "Heck" or the Drews have relatives that are football coaches?

Please explain why the experience has been so negative. Since you are an esteemed graduate who is putting your money into the program I would seriously weigh your answer.

valpotx

I've never understood setshot's nepotism comments outside of the Drews, either.  I would like to hear about any past instances outside of that, as it seems like it may have happened a few times before?
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on November 14, 2013, 03:35:03 PM
I've never understood setshot's nepotism comments outside of the Drews, either.  I would like to hear about any past instances outside of that, as it seems like it may have happened a few times before?
Quote from: bbtds on November 14, 2013, 03:22:21 PM
Given the nepotism mindset at Valpo a concern of mine and of many 50's graduates is that we not go that route again. Does anyone know whether ML.the "Heck" or the Drews have relatives that are football coaches?

Please explain why the experience has been so negative. Since you are an esteemed graduate who is putting your money into the program I would seriously weigh your answer.

:troll:  There won't be a response. Setshot is just trying to draw attention to himself.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on November 14, 2013, 03:22:21 PM

Quote from: valpotx on November 14, 2013, 03:35:03 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2013, 03:46:10 PM
ML, ML2?

other than that i got nuthin
I've never understood setshot and his nepotism charges.  I understand his concern, especially with ml and ml2, and with President Heckler and his daughter on staff.  With the Drews, I firmly believe that both Scott and Bryce were well qualified candidates, and have proven themselves so.  I know nothing on the other hirings, but from what I remember reading, both seemed well qualified. 

Setshot and the nepotism charges appear, at least to me, to be prior to Scott Drew being hired.  My only guess is that during his or his wife's career, they had an opportunity to apply for a Valpo job, but that it went to an underqualified candidate with family in high places.  This is only a guess, but it appears to be more personal than just a few hirings in the last 10 years.  Again, just speculating. 

Setshot is an ardent supporter of VU and VU Athletics.  For this I give him much credit and thanks.

FWalum

Quote from: historyman on November 14, 2013, 06:56:59 AM
Quote from: covufan on November 13, 2013, 11:33:10 AMML (we have an ml and ml2 on the board, not so sure about major league baseball) has done a great job as AD, and needs to be commended for his work.  Baseball, golf, soccer, softball, volleyball and bowling are just examples of what the AD and the department have accomplished in the last few years.  I trust his judgement in selecting a new coach and leader for football.
I guess I like being negative today but ML and his search committee picked Carlson too. Football operates under a different mindset then the rest of the athletic dept when it comes to financing that program and that is exactly what many posters have stated that they think should change. If the school doesn't make a new kind of commitment to football nobody can win at Valpo.

Anyone else agree?

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 14, 2013, 08:30:32 AM
Compared to these other schools, is Valpo strapped for cash? 

Or do we not care about football? Should Valpo adequately commit funds and energy to make this program respectable?   MLB and the administration needs to have a reality check - either you support football as needed, or bag it.

BTW, I think MLB at the end will do the right thing.  I am sure he has learned from the Carlson hiring.

Since I also volunteer in a non coaching capacity with the Concordia Lutheran High School football team I am on the Gridirondigest forum which has a Carlson is out as Valpo Coach thread.  on that thread someone from Indianapolis by the name of Trojettes posted the following:
QuoteAs a follow up to my previous post......these are the amounts the following FCS schools spent as part of their football budget.....including scholarship money......in 2012.......Butler gets a lot of bang for their buck as their head coach does a very good job with limited financial resources.

Valpo spends 230k more than Butler.....they may want to spend their money more wisely. Butler is at the bottom of the FCS schools by the way.

#1 Montana State MT $8,777,441
110 University of San Diego   CA   $1,269,465
111   Campbell University   NC   $1,143,155
112   Jacksonville University   FL   $1,126,146
113   Mississippi Valley State University   MS   $1,088,097
114   University of Dayton   OH   $975,237
115   Morehead State University   KY   $928,306
116   Valparaiso University   IN   $879,762
117   Drake University   IA   $876,039
118   Marist College   NY   $870,416
119   Davidson College   NC   $790,295
120   Butler University   IN $648,837

How accurate this is I have no idea.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2013, 08:58:37 PM
Quote from: FWalum on November 14, 2013, 04:51:13 PMHow accurate this is I have no idea.
if so i will now light myself on fire.
This is interesting information - it would be great to see the details of this and make an apples to apples comparison.  If this is close, Valpo has had a systematic problem with its football program that has been ignored for awhile.  But as FWAlum mentioned, who knows how this data was gathered.

crusadermoe

Nepotism:    Setshot does note an odd trend if Heckler's daughter is on staff and ML2 works fairly closely to the  AD.

However, I wonder if Setshot also is thinking of the Steinbrecher situation. That did gall me too.

It wasn't true nepotism in the technical sense of employment.  But it seemed clear that Valpo was staying in the Mid-Con beyond a period that served its best interests.

FWalum

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 15, 2013, 07:01:44 AM
Nepotism:    Setshot does note an odd trend if Heckler's daughter is on staff and ML2 works fairly closely to the  AD.

However, I wonder if Setshot also is thinking of the Steinbrecher situation. That did gall me too.

It wasn't true nepotism in the technical sense of employment.  But it seemed clear that Valpo was staying in the Mid-Con beyond a period that served its best interests.

I know this can be a touchy subject nepotism can be a difficult thing for both sides (spoken as a son who worked in his medium sized family business for a fairly long period of time), but I would just ask if any of you have met these young people?  I have had some interaction with ML2 and just wanted to say that IMHO I think we are lucky to have him at VU.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

I took myself up on my own invitation and I've added another attribute.

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 12, 2013, 12:34:20 PM
Shopping List (not necessarily in priority order - don't have the time):

> Enthusiastic motivator who doesn't need to rely on motivational quotes
> Demands great practice effort of players and coaches
> Has held position as recruiting coordinator; a plus if connections are the central Midwest; bonus if Chicagoland
> Understands and has worked within the limitations of a non-scholarship, need-based financial aid system (D-III or Patriot, Ivy, PFL?)
> Committed to tough defense - adaptable to available talent
> Flexible offense approach that adapts to available talent; values the running game; is not commited to ball control via the pass
> Management experience and skill -can build on off-field gains achieved in past 4 years
> Program builder - can rally financial as well as emotional support to bolster the program
> Willing to recruit the JUCO/Transfer universe in year one to fill talent gaps
> Good person with high integrity
> Able to attract and retain a quality coaching staff

I invite posters to copy my starter list and add to it in their posts.

usc4valpo

I gotta say the Steinbrecher nepotism situation was pretty bad.  Jon knew how to kiss bum as well as anyone I knew.

LaPorteAveApostle

...would you say he was the MAC daddy at that?

usc4valpo

valporun

Would you consider Mike and Carin Avery also "nepotism", even though they are husband and wife?

VU75

Quote from: valporun on November 15, 2013, 10:24:25 PMWould you consider Mike and Carin Avery also "nepotism", even though they are husband and wife?

If so add Emory and Elsie Bauer to the list

LaPorteAveApostle

Or the late great Richard and Sue Stonebraker Wienhorst!

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 12, 2013, 12:34:20 PM
Shopping List (not necessarily in priority order - don't have the time):

Enthusiastic motivator who doesn't need to rely on motivational quotes
Demands great practice effort of players and coaches
Has held position as recruiting coordinator; a plus if connections are the central Midwest; bonus if Chicagoland
Understands and has worked within the limitations of a non-scholarship, need-based financial aid system (D-III or Patriot, Ivy, PFL?)
Committed to tough defense - adaptable to available talent
Flexible offense approach that adapts to available talent; values the running game; is not commited to ball control via the pass
Management experience and skill -can build on off-field gains achieved in past 4 years
Program builder - can rally financial as well as emotional support to bolster the program
Willing to recruit the JUCO/Transfer universe in year one to fill talent gaps
Good person with high integrity

I invite posters to copy my starter list and add to it in their posts.

#1. Winner
#2. See #1

Seriously, that's what it's going to take, somebody who wins (see Urban Meyer type) and who's only track record is winning. You must change the culture and eliminate accepting mediocrity. I know awhile ago that ML said to win the Pioneer League every few years. No, the goal should be win it EVERY year. When you get somebody who demands and focuses on results, you will see results. Let's hope they head down that path.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

I appreciate the high expectations that are being requested by miracle.  To get there, it will take perserverance, smarts, and sweat and it requires time and a plan where we best take advantage of that time.  Also, make it fun.

wh

Dictionary definition of Nepotism: favoritism granted in politics or business to relatives regardless of merit.

Within the context of this definition, I think most of us would agree that Bryce reporting to Homer and subsequently replacing him was not an example of nepotism. Bryce was highly qualified to serve as assistant and was a legitimate candidate to become head coach, as evidenced by his record and other results to date. That said, relatives working for relatives is almost always a sticky situation in the workplace.  A potential conflict of interest is ever present.  Moreover, even if the relationship is above board in every respect, there are always coworkers who like to use it to keep the pot stirred, especially lesser performers who may create an illusion of favoritism in order to justify a bad attitude or deflect blame away from themselves for poor performance. It takes a very mature workforce not to be affected by it.

Swarm94

Bernardi would be a great pick.  He knows how to recruit.  He has roots to the change from Scholarship to PFL. He could get back the recruiting base in Chicagoland. He was a Championship Defensive Coordinator.

Swarm94

Former VU defensive coordinator Sam Bernardi would be a great choice.  He knows VU.  He successfully navigated the landscape recruiting / financial aid.  His defenses played championship defense.  He has successfully recruited Chicagoland.  Great choice

LaPorteAveApostle