• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Put your Football Head Coach ideas here

Started by IndyValpo, November 12, 2013, 07:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Some search-related information:

MLB has reached out to all FB alumni and sent a questionnaire asking, in general, what do they want to see reflected in the VU football program.  Good move to encourage positive input and more importantly, re-engagement, in the program.  In addition, one of the key jobs the new HFBC will have and be evaluated on is fostering and expanding contact with and involvement of FB alums.

willy

I am encouraged by MLB's statements about the head coach search and think contacting the football alumni is a great move.  I was skeptical about Valpo's commitment to football but have changed my opinion since Carlson's release.  MLB and the administration seem to be making the right moves and hopefully with the right hire will make Valpo football competitive again. 

VUOR63

After seeing David Shaw's post game interview last night after Stanford's beat down of ASU, I can't help but wonder if our AD should reach out to that program to see if there's someone you can pick off of that coaching tree.  Valpo finds themselves in a similar situation as Stanford was in when they went 1-11 in 2006: poor coaching, recruiting issues, frustrated alumni, etc.  A position coach from there would be an awesome option--someone who can bring that attitudinal adjustment to our program.  Tavita Pritchard comes to mind (a QB who was an integral part of the turnaround both as a player and a coach).

Dave_2010

Quote from: VUOR63 on December 08, 2013, 08:06:34 AMAfter seeing David Shaw's post game interview last night after Stanford's beat down of ASU, I can't help but wonder if our AD should reach out to that program to see if there's someone you can pick off of that coaching tree.  Valpo finds themselves in a similar situation as Stanford was in when they went 1-11 in 2006: poor coaching, recruiting issues, frustrated alumni, etc.  A position coach from there would be an awesome option--someone who can bring that attitudinal adjustment to our program.  Tavita Pritchard comes to mind (a QB who was an integral part of the turnaround both as a player and a coach).

I was thinking the same thing. Stanford has been a model program since Harbaugh took over and is doing it in an academic environment significantly more rigorous than Valpo. I believe I remember David Shaw once saying that in the average year there are only 320 (+/-) recruits nationally that are even worth contacting given Stanford's academic and athletic requirements...the university has done an outstanding job on hitting on those players recently.

When looking at their football site, one name stood out on the Cardinal Staff: Lance Anderson (http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=749929&SPID=127013&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167723&Q_SEASON=2013). He is currently coaching linebackers and is the team's "admissions liason," coming to the program with Jim Harbaugh from San Diego, where he served as recruiting coordinator. He held the same position for several years at Bucknell, another non-scholarship program. I like that the bulk of his experience is on the defensive side of the ball, especially considering what we've seen for the last several years.

The biggest problem with Anderson is that he lacks any significant play calling experience (2 years at St. Mary's a decade ago). He also doesn't have any experience recruiting the Chicago area. Both of these problems can be addressed with good assistant hires. Considering the impressive results that the Harbaugh-Shaw coaching tree is already showing, I'd definitely be willing to take a gamble on one.

historyman

Quote from: Dave_2010 on December 08, 2013, 11:44:36 AMWhen looking at their football site, one name stood out on the Cardinal Staff: Lance Anderson (http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=749929&SPID=127013&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167723&Q_SEASON=2013). He is currently coaching linebackers and is the team's "admissions liason," coming to the program with Jim Harbaugh from San Diego, where he served as recruiting coordinator. He held the same position for several years at Bucknell, another non-scholarship program. I like that the bulk of his experience is on the defensive side of the ball, especially considering what we've seen for the last several years.
The real question, and I don't know the answer, is whether Valpo is offering enough in incentives for these kind of coaches to choose Valpo. Is Valpo truly trying to recruit a coach of this quality?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on December 08, 2013, 11:52:39 AMThe real question, and I don't know the answer, is whether Valpo is offering enough in incentives for these kind of coaches to choose Valpo.
Exactly.  I bet he's making more money there already.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Great researching, Dave. 

But if Valpo can match the $$ and provide a HFBC slot on his resume we may have a chance (Providing he is not in line for a HFBC position at Stanford or somewhere else.).  We need to at least relay this guy's name to MLB.  Because he was at USD, he knows what to do to get the kids we need.  As HFBC, he doesn't have to call the plays/defenses -- his OC and DC do that.

The fact that Harbaugh went from USD to Stanford to the 49ers and this guy was a part of some of that bodes well for a VU interview.

NOTE -- I emailed MLB.

78crusader

Guys, it's too late to be relaying any new names to ML.  I think they have narrowed the field to three or so candidates, they flew 'em in here to talk and have a look around, and I think they want to announce their guy sometime before the semester ends -- probably this week.  That way the new guy can meet with the individual players and convince 'em to stay. 

Paul

FWalum

The connection to the Stanford turnaround was made. Any interest from that staff would have been relayed to ML.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo95

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 08, 2013, 12:34:15 PM
Great researching, Dave. 

But if Valpo can match the $$ and provide a HFBC slot on his resume we may have a chance (Providing he is not in line for a HFBC position at Stanford or somewhere else.).

Well, matching the $$ might be tough.  Being private, I couldn't find detail on what Stanford is paying their assistant coaches.  However, according to this article in the Seattle Times, Washington was paying their linebacker coach $250K, and Washington State was paying their Outside linebacker coach $156K

[url=http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022321329_coachespayxml.html]http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022321329_coachespayxml.html [/url]

Is Valpo prepared to offer more than that to be the HFC?

VUOR63

I have no idea what the Stanford assistant's make but having a Stanford guy on Valpo's athletic pay roll is nothing new: Matt Lottich is an assistant for the basketball team.  As was previously noted, it is late in the process and I hope we get the right guy.  Thanks for the discussion!

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo95 on December 08, 2013, 08:39:07 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 08, 2013, 12:34:15 PM
Great researching, Dave. 

But if Valpo can match the $$ and provide a HFBC slot on his resume we may have a chance (Providing he is not in line for a HFBC position at Stanford or somewhere else.).

Well, matching the $$ might be tough.  Being private, I couldn't find detail on what Stanford is paying their assistant coaches.  However, according to this article in the Seattle Times, Washington was paying their linebacker coach $250K, and Washington State was paying their Outside linebacker coach $156K

[url=http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022321329_coachespayxml.html]http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022321329_coachespayxml.html [/url]

Is Valpo prepared to offer more than that to be the HFC?

I understand that the candidate door is never closed until a guy is signed.  Who knows.

usc4valpo

Stanford's coaches make around the median in the Pac12, so I would guess that would be in the $200K range.  They were near the bottom salary wise before Harbaugh arrived, which is really sad consdering the very high cost of living in the Palo Alto - San Jose area.

I highly doubt Valpo will not even come close to paying a football coach close to the $200K range.