• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A Fresh Look at the 2014 Season

Started by VULB#62, December 14, 2013, 08:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Now that Dave Cecchini has come aboard as Valpo's 17th Head Football Coach, and a string is devoted to the coach and coaching, I thought it proper to start a separate string on thoughts for the 2014 season.

The schedule shapes up something like this (the OOC order may be a bit different buy I believe the teams are accurate).

Western Illinois {FCS,  MVFC - fully scholarshipped, 2013 -- 4-7, Notable games: 12-29 Loss to Minnesota, wins over South Dakota, Indiana State}

9/6 - St. Joe's {NCAA D-II - scholarshipped, 2013 record 8-3, Notable games: Beat Valpo 34-31, beat William Jewel 37-31}

Sacred Heart { FCS, NEC - partially scholarshipped, 2013 -- 10-3, Notable games: Beat Marist, Laffayette and Bucknell}
AND/OR
@ William Jewel { NCAA D-II - scholarshipped, 2013 -- 3-8, Notable games: Beat Valpo 36-34} Maybe a 12th game???

8 PFL games

usc4valpo

4-7.  I have a good feeling the players are pleased about this coaching change.

VUOR63

I'll be the optimistic one: Next year, we'll win 9 and lose 4 after winning the conference with 8 wins and going 1-1 in the tournament. 

valpo64

Talked to M LB after today's b-ball win...he said it appears the new football coach will hire "young" assistants for his staff...as M LB said,
"Similar to what Bryce has done with the b-ball staff." M LB appears to be very excited about the future of the football program.

VULB#62

The next key hire IMO is the DC.  There we need someone with experience who is a great teacher and who has a firm understanding of all 11 positions on the field and how to position players.  He must also be good at taking opponent's strengths away as well as the ability to adjust the defense once the game starts.

usc4valpo

Quote from: VUOR63 on December 14, 2013, 08:28:29 PMI'll be the optimistic one: Next year, we'll win 9 and lose 4 after winning the conference with 8 wins and going 1-1 in the tournament.
I like your optimism but I will not overly indulge the brown and gold koolaid. 

I hope the players understand this change is in the right direction.

VUOR63

As an alum of the program, this hire pumps me up.  The fact that the 03 team used the same players from a 1-10 record the previous season means that it can be done.  The stories I've read indicate that the players choose to stay in Valpo over the summer to work out together--put that passion for improvement and football together with a better coaching staff and I think there is a formula for something special.  Am I drinking the kool-aid?  Yes.  Am I on the bandwagon?  Yes.  And there's plenty of room!

vu72

Quote from: VUOR63 on December 15, 2013, 12:14:57 PM
As an alum of the program, this hire pumps me up.  The fact that the 03 team used the same players from a 1-10 record the previous season means that it can be done.  The stories I've read indicate that the players choose to stay in Valpo over the summer to work out together--put that passion for improvement and football together with a better coaching staff and I think there is a formula for something special.  Am I drinking the kool-aid?  Yes.  Am I on the bandwagon?  Yes.  And there's plenty of room!

I was about to question whether or not David Macchi was on the 2002 team but after checking you are correct.  The key guys who were on the 03 team were also on the 1-10 02 team. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUDad

Six or seven wins, with a few different players emerging as key difference makers on both sides of the ball. Two important indicators coming up fast--new staff hires and player decisions to return or not.

VULB#62

Dad, I agree on the second point -- the indicators.  Hoping all the guys stick together and stay-- this will be a good program.  On the 6-7, I think this bunch will win a few games but not go over .500.  WIU and SHU will be much more competitive losses, but losses non-the-less.  So we will start in the hole at 1-2 (we'll beat St. Joe's) before we hit the PFL.  If we go 4 and 4 in the league that will be a really, really good turn-around for a first year program.  I'm saying probably 5-6 or in a stretch 6-5, but not 7 wins.

covufan

I'm also going with 5 or 6 wins.  If we win 7 next year, it will be a Lutheran Miracle on the Gridiron!

VUDad

I admit to irrational optimism. Just would enjoy a surprise from football (for the good). 

ml

The non-conference schedule for next year has us at Western Illinois and William Jewell, at home against St Joe's. 

VULB#62

This changes everything.  We start 2-1.  We go 4-4 in the PFL and wind up at 6-5 in 2014.  I'm that confident.   :cheers:

Sacred Heart must start in 2015.

NuPudge

I think it would be nice if we can play 12 games each year and not just 11 games.. It would also be nice to have a 6 away game and 6 home games.. I am really looking forward to this season now that Carlson is gone...

vu72

Didn't think this deserved its own thread so I am posting it here.  Valpo will have a new starting quarterback in 2014.  Hoffman will not be returning as he has graduated and will seek another path.  So, did the new coach encourage the move?  Will he try to bring in a JC transfer or work with someone on the team now?  Should be interesting.

http://www.htrnews.com/article/20131222/MAN02/312220185/College-football-Hoffman-finishes-career-top?nclick_check=1
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

It's the perfect place for the post.  That comes as a bit of a surprise as, on the surface, the upside of Cecchini's offensive reputation for Hoffman could have been a truly great final year.  For Cecchini, it would have meant one year of transition to his own recruited QB using an experienced passer with some good numbers.  This decision, IMO, came too quickly after the coaching change to allow for a thorough coaching evaluation by the new coach to allow him to encourage Hoffman to call it quits.  I'm thinking this is Eric's decision.  Key point is his statement about having to pay his own way (for the 5th year).

I wish Eric all the best.   He was one of the bright spots in an otherwise gloomy 4 years.

valpotx

Good for him in in getting his degree and starting his career.  I do take issue with calling him one of the most accomplished players in Valpo history.  Yes, he has a lot of stats, but he was not even close to a David Macchi.  If Macchi had as many possessions as Hoffman had in his career, he would have just about doubled his numbers in his two years.  We give up a quick TD on defense each time, it allows for quite a bit of stats to be built up...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUDad

Heard Hoffman made his decision prior to the new coach announcement. He graduates after amassing great numbers and appeared to still be pretty healthy--seems like a smart move for him. Remembering back to the spring game, some younger QBs also played well. Any word on any other guys' decisions? Coaches? 

willy

Quote from: valpotx on December 22, 2013, 03:40:33 PMGood for him in in getting his degree and starting his career. I do take issue with calling him one of the most accomplished players in Valpo history. Yes, he has a lot of stats, but he was not even close to a David Macchi. If Macchi had as many possessions as Hoffman had in his career, he would have just about doubled his numbers in his two years. We give up a quick TD on defense each time, it allows for quite a bit of stats to be built up...
Hoffman definitely had some decent numbers, except for number of wins.  3 -30 as the starter is not getting it done, and not entirely his fault.  I think Carlsons system had everything to do with the numbers Hoffman put up. If Coach Cecchini wanted a running/mobile QB  he might have figured it was time to move on.  At the end of last year we still had four QB's on the roster, three of them 2012 recruits.  Hopefully one of them is ready to take the reigns.

usc4valpo

Hoffman had decent mechanics I thought, but he was on a terrible team with a terrible coach.  He was a great soldier and worked very hard and got his degree.  I applaud him for his efforts and his leadership and I wish him all the best.

For Valpo, this is not a crisis moment - it's time to rebuild.  Just do not follow the Detroit Lions textbook!

IndyValpo

Valpo (FCS - IN): Valparaiso needs a home game on October 11, 2014. We are willing to pay a modest guarantee. Please contact Mark LaBarbera, Athletics Director at ValpoAD@valpo.edu or 219 464-6894.

This from footballscoop.com. I think this is the Mercer hole. 

historyman

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 27, 2013, 07:37:34 AMValpo (FCS - IN): Valparaiso needs a home game on October 11, 2014. We are willing to pay a modest guarantee. Please contact Mark LaBarbera, Athletics Director at ValpoAD@valpo.edu or 219 464-6894. This from footballscoop.com. I think this is the Mercer hole.
Let's use a numerology approach. The date is 10/11/14. Therefore the two numbers missing are 12 & 13. The letters of the alphabet that correspond to those numbers are "L" & "M."

Therefore Valpo should play the Lower Merion Aces who ended up 0-10 last year. Lets give LM a win!  ;D
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 27, 2013, 07:37:34 AM
Valpo (FCS - IN): Valparaiso needs a home game on October 11, 2014. We are willing to pay a modest guarantee. Please contact Mark LaBarbera, Athletics Director at ValpoAD@valpo.edu or 219 464-6894.

This from footballscoop.com. I think this is the Mercer hole.

The PFL schedule for 2014 hasn't been released, but I would think the league would ensure a complete set of 8 games even with the 10/14 date open for Valpo.  Iin 2013 10/12 was the Mercer game @ Mercer.  BTW the PFL site still hasn't removed Mercer from the website.