• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Milwaukee 2/15/14, 7:00 p.m.

Started by historyman, February 09, 2014, 05:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on February 16, 2014, 12:10:50 AM
Finally, I have to say that some of the calls against our big guys were phantom fouls. In fact, it's not like Milwaukee was driving inside to initiate lots of fouls, since they took 29 3-pt. shots.

What kills our big men is offensive fouls. Seems like Moussa, Bobby, and Vashil average 2-3 offensive fouls a game, which makes it much harder to play defense when you're limiting yourself to 2-3 defensive fouls. Thus they tend to pick up a lot of fouls and in bunches.

Smj

There were some strange calls on one side that were called differently on the other side.    (depended on which ref ended up under the basket)   There was a total Phantom foul on Vashil where they showed it in a replay and Vashil was not even in the play. 

We do have a tendency to lean in on a screen (or players need to use the screen better so the screener does not feel they need to lean.)  however,  it is not much more noticable than other teams.

HC

I find it amusing that people still bash on Drew's coaching decisions. The big guys weren't doing much besides blocking shots last night, plus even without those three we still could match the size of Milwaukee. Plus, Milwaukee was content to brick 3s all night so not having the big bodies in there wasn't going to hurt.

It would be nice to see them set legal screens though.

oklahomamick

Quote from: classof2014 on February 16, 2014, 12:22:13 AM
Finally, I have to say that some of the calls against our big guys were phantom fouls. In fact, it's not like Milwaukee was driving inside to initiate lots of fouls, since they took 29 3-pt. shots.

What kills our big men is offensive fouls. Seems like Moussa, Bobby, and Vashil average 2-3 offensive fouls a game, which makes it much harder to play defense when you're limiting yourself to 2-3 defensive fouls. Thus they tend to pick up a lot of fouls and in bunches.

I was thinking the same thing.  Usually the offensive fouls they pick up are setting picks.  I blame them half the time and the other half its the dribbler not waiting until they are set. 

As of late, I noticed several times Vashil is starting to put his hands outs instead of up. He had a game a couple weeks ago where he blocked 5-6 shorts and he was going to straight up. 
CRUSADERS!!!

classof2014

The funny thing was the lineup we had out there the last 10 or so minutes was the same size, actually a tad bigger than last season's regulars.

Alec 6' 8" 225
Jubril 6' 7" 225
Jordan 6' 5" 190
LVD 6' 1" 200
Lexus 5' 11" 155

-vs-

KVW 6' 8" 240
Rowdy 6' 7" 215
Matt 6' 4" 205
Will 6'1 175
Erik 5' 11" 160

Other than Jordan being 1" taller than Matt, the teams are absolutely identical in size. It's just rare to have 3 guys 6' 10"+ and we've gotten used to it. I really liked watching the smaller lineup last night. The didn't turn the ball over and were much quicker and flowed much better out there.

wh

Quote from: rink on February 15, 2014, 04:31:19 PM
Wife and I will be in attendance.  Been treated to some great Valpo-UWM games here recently, looking forward to more of the same.

Quote from: Smj on February 14, 2014, 10:38:11 PM
I like UWM games on campus better

In theory, yes, but it's tough to argue with the immensely better options for food/drink before and after the game that you get out of the US Cellular location.  We'll probably hit HofbrÀuhaus for pregame drinks, then maybe Major Goolsby's for post-game.  Going to a game at Klotsche doesn't offer nearly as good of a total entertainment package.

We arrived in enough time to eat dinner (so we thought), but it wasn't easy to find a place without a long wait. We finally ended up at a Thai restaurant called The King and I. Thai food was about the last thing we had in mind, but the food, service and atmosphere were all wonderful. We will definitely go there again next year.

VULB#62

Quote from: Smj on February 16, 2014, 07:32:06 AM
There were some strange calls on one side that were called differently on the other side.    (depended on which ref ended up under the basket)   There was a total Phantom foul on Vashil where they showed it in a replay and Vashil was not even in the play. 

We do have a tendency to lean in on a screen (or players need to use the screen better so the screener does not feel they need to lean.)  however,  it is not much more noticable than other teams.

Bobby's 4th foul was just him moving back up the court and avoiding a UWM player -- pure phantom.  Prior to that he was sent flying by major contact from behind and went to the floor in front of the official and no call.  Then he got his 5th, and from where I was sitting, that also looked phantomesque.

Chairback

MBB: Highlights vs Valparaiso

Watch at the 1:36 mark of this video.  Not sure if this was a foul on Vashil or not.  He had his hand slightly on his back but seems ticky tack.  Also, nice block by Alec!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on February 16, 2014, 09:47:34 AMThe funny thing was the lineup we had out there the last 10 or so minutes was the same size, actually a tad bigger than last season's regulars.
great observation

i still want a 5 for next year :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2014, 08:19:41 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on February 16, 2014, 12:22:13 AM

I was thinking the same thing.  Usually the offensive fouls they pick up are setting picks.  I blame them half the time and the other half its the dribbler not waiting until they are set. 

As of late, I noticed several times Vashil is starting to put his hands outs instead of up. He had a game a couple weeks ago where he blocked 5-6 shorts and he was going to straight up. 

I have noticed the same thing about Vashil, so much so that I instinctively put my hands straight up anytime the guy being guarded by Vashil has the ball lol :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

BTW from the way all of you talked, I expected our Valpo crowd to be a significant presence at the Cell.  While we got loud on occasion, not so much. 

Well, there were 5,815 bodies in seats there according to the box score, and, given the capacity of the place, I would pretty much agree with that when I looked around and tried to get a sense of the numbers.  They weren't really into the game though compared to our VU contingent, I'll say that.  But not bad numbers.  Was it because it was Valpo?

Our other first-timer observations: 

# -- Generally, the vast majority of Valpo roadies are definitely on the long side of 55 (as am I but I like to think I look a bit younger   :crazy: )
# -- The student section was maybe 30 kids.  They held their own but 100 would have been better.  My partner (she has no allegiance at all and came to keep me company)  asked why there weren't more VU students at the game.  Are the student buses free and do those bus seats each come with a free ticket to the game? I don't know those things, but she's got a point -- shouldn't we travel better at least to "local" games?  It seemed like the players really appreciated our presence at the end of the game and a larger student representation would have added to it even more.    :twocents:

HC

We had like 30 students for our last home game, not many are going to board a bus for 4 hours or however long it is when they don't even walk the couple of blocks to get to the ARc.

VULB#62

Quote from: HC on February 16, 2014, 09:19:52 PM
We had like 30 students for our last home game, not many are going to board a bus for 4 hours or however long it is when they don't even walk the couple of blocks to get to the ARc.

:(

valpospartan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 16, 2014, 12:47:21 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on February 16, 2014, 09:47:34 AMThe funny thing was the lineup we had out there the last 10 or so minutes was the same size, actually a tad bigger than last season's regulars.
great observation

i still want a 5 for next year :)
Yes, one that can catch a pass and hold on to a rebound.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpospartan on February 16, 2014, 11:27:35 PMYes, one that can catch a pass and hold on to a rebound.
the phrase "one and done" was invented for such as these
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa