• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Begins Construction on New Track and Field Facility

Started by valpo04, May 08, 2014, 08:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

If I recall, talksalot, the track at TJ became a concrete track oval/parking lot. I know we used to use the old cinder/packed sand track there for some cross country and track workouts, but once they put the concrete in, we moved over to Ben Franklin Middle School for track workouts. I would love to see the track be a moneymaker for not only the track and cross country programs, but the athletic department in general. I mean rent it out to local schools for big invites, and then fill the summer with AAU meets and OPEN invitationals for the Valpo and Northwest Indiana community to come run, throw, jump, or cheer on their favorite local runners. A lot of meets could be run on this track, but with all meet monies made, it will add to the athletic or xc/track budgets by the handfuls of money going to the accounts.

VULB#62

Here's an Instgram  video update through week 9.  Track inside curbing is in and the sub-surface for the space between the field and the curbing is in as well.  The hospital demolition is complete and the whole area is grass-covered.  Cool.

http://instagram.com/p/qWcPktDTb4/?modal=true

valpopal

When I was on campus Tuesday I stopped to check the track and spoke with the workers. They were putting in a concrete mow strip, which we joked also would work as a "moat strip," between the field/track and the stands. The foreman told me that they expect to have blacktop down within about 10-14 days, depending upon weather, and the more dramatic appearance of the track will be prominent at that time. 

VULB#62

historyman

Here's a photo for you. I hope it's a Brown and Gold track

Where the gold is in place of the white lines. That would look.........................................................like an outhouse section.  ::)   ::)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Brown and gold would be a good idea, but I stopped by the football field this morning and watched as they began laying the blacktop on the track, and it is black.

VULB#62

All tracks start off with black asphalt as a foundation.  The asphalt is then covered with the rubberized layer that is colored.  There is a standard redish brown, like the picture below, and then custon colors.  The custom color option was not an option for VU as it would add $40K to the cost -- $40K that could be used for other equipment.  That redish brown standard color, however, might work with yellow lines though.

valporun

It would be nice to have yellow lines along the track, but I think those lines are regulated by the NCAA Track and Field bylaws. We could have the Valpo logo on the track, but the lane lines are regulated. Can't help that.

VULB#62

Odd.  I could see colors that did not provide enough contrast and that caused runners problems in making sure they stayed in their lanes, but yellow, like white, is a very sharp contrast.  Oh, well, it'll still look great.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on July 25, 2014, 12:55:59 PM
I don't make the rules.

How about eggshell? What colors are white enough? When do the white lines become too faded? Do they have to be repainted every year? Which NCAA track official checks out all the "white" lines? Can I apply for that job?

POSITION: NCAA Track & Field White Line Examiner

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on July 24, 2014, 02:39:26 PM
Brown and gold would be a good idea, but I stopped by the football field this morning and watched as they began laying the blacktop on the track, and it is black.

I for one would like to see more frequent updates on the track construction from the administration.  This is big and the progress could be exciting.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 28, 2014, 09:21:50 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 24, 2014, 02:39:26 PM

I for one would like to see more frequent updates on the track construction from the administration.  This is big and the progress could be exciting.

The Valpo Athletics Facebook page features almost weekly updates, and I think the main Valpo Facebook page has shown periodic updates as well. The updates weren't as frequent as first, but that's probably because there wasn't much to show at the time (just digging a little bit).
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

VULB#62

Yeah, I have been tracking those, but of late nuthin much.  ValpoPal noted that the asphalt went down last week.  Would have liked to see the results.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 29, 2014, 07:30:33 AM
Yeah, I have been tracking those, but of late nuthin much.  ValpoPal noted that the asphalt went down last week.  Would have liked to see the results.

They posted the video of the asphalt on July 25th. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HsLTlUhCyw&feature=youtu.be

VULB#62

historyman

Well, that was exciting!

Now the only questions remaining are what will the final design look like?

Will the lines be white or gold?

Will bbtds be around to inspect the lines?

Will the track & field teams care as much as VULB62 about the construction and look of the track?

Will football fans' minds wander to the construction of the track while watching the VU football team or will the games be exciting in general?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

AND THE ANSWERS.........

Will the lines be white or gold?  WHITE

Will bbtds be around to inspect the lines? ABSOLUTELY 

Will the track & field teams care as much as VULB62 about the construction and look of the track?  NO WAY

Will football fans' minds wander to the construction of the track while watching the VU football team or will the games be exciting in general?  YES TO BOTH

:thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 29, 2014, 10:09:41 AMWill bbtds be around to inspect the lines? ABSOLUTELY

I can ask for more Chicagoland and NW Indiana (got to be the toughest region in the USA to say on the air) visits but I did not secure a job with the NCAA yet. Too many fat wallets are blocking the door to get in.

wh

I am watching them apply the red topping. The track looks beautiful.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

valpotx

I wish it was more of a brown, as others have said previously.  A brown track with gold lanes would have looked pretty cool.  Kind of like some places that have blue or orange tracks, something distinctive.  Still, glad to have a track in general, and look forward to seeing the end result!
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

Updated photo from the Valpo Athletics Facebook page: