• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 - Home vs. Drake Bulldogs

Started by VULB#62, October 11, 2014, 09:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

What happened after the blocked punt?  I had to leave for a few minuites?  Did we pick one?  Took to teh last minute for Drake to p[ut the nail in teh coffin,

valpotx

We couldn't have even tried two of the FR at QB at some point in the second half?  If you didn't watch this game, Staal just lobs 20 mph softballs to our WRs, with absolutely no speed on it, and he can't throw past 5 yds.  Our defense played fantastic, but we didn't give them any shot in the second half once Lehman went down.  Lehman isn't great, but he is at least average, and can throw the ball downfield.  This is a game that we should have won based on how it was played in the first 3 quarters.  If we even had a 3 (on a scale of 10) at QB in the second half, we win this game.  Instead, we ended up with a 1, and lose.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 18, 2014, 03:37:19 PM
What happened after the blocked punt?  I had to leave for a few minuites?  Did we pick one?  Took to teh last minute for Drake to p[ut the nail in teh coffin,

We blocked their FG on that drive after they blocked our punt.  It didn't matter though, as we had no air game in the second half without Lehman.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Let's take it easy on the kid.  Some were saying the same thing about Ben after St. Joes.  Scott Staal is the reserve.  He's had no reps to speak of. If he is the starter next week due to Ben's injury, then we can better assess his skills.  Right now I am just happy we stayed in the game.  Hats off to the Defense. This was a competitive loss.  In year one of any rebuild, this is what we need to look for.  The key is how do we respond next week after coming so close?  We go to Morehead.  Do we build on the positives and correct the negatives?  Do we come out and play for a win or do we get depressed about the loss and never recover?  The teams the past four years fell into the latter category.

valpotx

Did you watch his passes?  It has nothing to do with reps, he has no arm strength.  Every single pass was 2-3 yds short or behind the WRs, even on basic 5 yd slant routes that were wide open.  My criticism is not because he wasn't going through his options, which would have more to do with not getting game reps.  It is simply that he did not demonstrate any ability to literally throw a quality pass to a wide open WR.  I imagine that he is a smart kid, can read a defense, etc, but can he throw a pass 10 yds in the air?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

BTW,  just a hunch, but Ben's mobility is why he's in there and I'm thinking the freshman from FL, fits the mobile QB model.  Mobile BS (who can throw darts), I'm guessing, are key to Cecchini's Offense.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on October 18, 2014, 03:51:50 PM
Did you watch his passes?  It has nothing to do with reps, he has no arm strength.  Every single pass was 2-3 yds short or behind the WRs, even on basic 5 yd slant routes that were wide open.  My criticism is not because he wasn't going through his options, which would have more to do with not getting game reps.  It is simply that he did not demonstrate any ability to literally throw a quality pass to a wide open WR.  I imagine that he is a smart kid, can read a defense, etc, but can he throw a pass 10 yds in the air?

Coming out of preseason camp, most observers said Scott had the strongest arm in camp and in the final scrimmage he made the starting QB choice tough for the staff.  My personal opinion is that he is nervous and uncomfortable right now.  What you saw out there was stage fright.  And smart?  4.00 in the business school and Cecchini says he's the smartest QB he's ever coached.  But that all is negated if he's so nervous he can't control the ball.  Dollars to donuts, if you and I were in a pickup flag FB game against him, and it was purely fun, he'd destroy us.  BUT this ain't pickup games.  The truly great ones have ice in their veins from the time they come out of the womb (Doug Flutie).  The next level of greatness comes from learning from  experience and then the ice kicks in.  Tom Brady is my exhibit A on the latter.  Just like our whole team, let's see how Scott responds going forward.  BTW, could you tell I'm from New England?

valpotx

I have no issue with Lehman.  He is a serviceable QB
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

I didn't either.  I was kind of mystified by the early criticism myself. I love mobility in a QB (even if it is never used).  It's just one more thing the D has to prepare for.  That why I like Aaron Rogers so much -- can you tell I'm living in Wisconsin now?

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 18, 2014, 04:04:40 PM
Quote from: valpotx on October 18, 2014, 03:51:50 PM

Coming out of preseason camp, most observers said Scott had the strongest arm in camp and in the final scrimmage he made the starting QB choice tough for the staff.  My personal opinion is that he is nervous and uncomfortable right now.  What you saw out there was stage fright.  And smart?  4.00 in the business school and Cecchini says he's the smartest QB he's ever coached.  But that all is negated if he's so nervous he can't control the ball.  Dollars to donuts, if you and I were in a pickup flag FB game against him, and it was purely fun, he'd destroy us.  BUT this ain't pickup games.  The truly great ones have ice in their veins from the time they come out of the womb (Doug Flutie).  The next level of greatness comes from learning from  experience and then the ice kicks in.  Tom Brady is my exhibit A on the latter.  Just like our whole team, let's see how Scott responds going forward.  BTW, could you tell I'm from New England?

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not assume too much on his ability to destroy me passing.  Before I ended up at Valpo due to Tommy John surgery, I was being recruited by top 25 baseball programs ;).  As a 33 year old man post-TJ surgery, sure, but with what I was originally given, no contest lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

But not a FB player coming out of HS, right?   :)

valpotx

No, not a QB in HS, but I could definitely throw it downfield a distance.  We threw footballs daily to build arm strength in HS.  Maybe that is why I needed surgery lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Worst QB in Valpo history? Wow, now that is a intriguing discussion as there are many candidates.

valpotx

Fine, worst since the 1999 season that was my FR year.  I can't speak to before that season
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 18, 2014, 03:47:31 PMScott Staal is the reserve.  He's had no reps to speak of. If he is the starter next week due to Ben's injury, then we can better assess his skills.

At the beginning of the year Staal and Lehman were both getting reps because there was no clear cut starting QB. Then Lehman won the job and Staal became the second string QB. That is a poor statement to say that Staal had no reps unless you're only talking about the last few games.

I agree that Staal did a poor job and has regressed since the beginning of the year.

I was very glad to see the defense playing better and getting the takeaways that kept Valpo in the game. Unfortunately Valpo had little offense at all in the second half and once the rain stopped Drake regrouped their offense and was able to put a scoring drive together to win the game. The final TD was due to Staal's poor passing.

LaPorteAveApostle

I didn't see the game.

I saw this:

STAAL E  7-20 52 yds 2 INT

1) THAT IS TWO POINT SIX YARDS PER ATTEMPT.  That is beyond pathetic.  (For reference, Tim Tebow's career was 10.4 ypa, 3rd all time).  Eastern Michigan is last in FBS this year with 4.6.

2) When weather is an issue, and also the fact that THIS GUY CLEARLY CAN'T THROW, WHY did they keep trying to?  Remember Einstein's definition of insanity.

The only worse line I can remember off the top of my head from a QB is Derek Anderson with Cleveland, who was 2 of SEVENTEEN for 23 yards and a pick in like 2008 (edit: 2009).  And somehow Cleveland won the game, but I don't want to talk about it.

To someone looking at the stats--not at the game, but remember that statistics exist to quantify and confirm the eye test--this is a game that could have been turnaround win, but instead was lost for want of a QB.  10 points given up on defense should win you 8 or 9 outta 10.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VUDad

Ugly for sure. A referendum on the backup QB? Might be a bit early for that. Lets session how he does with a week of reps with the first team. Hard to compare the starter vs. backup. Same thing happened to Butler at Campbell. More concern should be on Bens condition--looks like a concussion.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUDad on October 18, 2014, 05:22:52 PM
Ugly for sure. A referendum on the backup QB? Might be a bit early for that. Lets session how he does with a week of reps with the first team. Hard to compare the starter vs. backup. Same thing happened to Butler at Campbell. More concern should be on Bens condition--looks like a concussion.

Totally concur.

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 18, 2014, 04:53:56 PM
I didn't see the game.

I saw this:

STAAL E  7-20 52 yds 2 INT

THIS GUY CLEARLY CAN'T THROW, WHY did they keep trying to?  Remember Einstein's definition of insanity.

I watched most of the game -- between cutting the lawn and raking leaves.  In the second half after Ben went down, they tried very hard to establish a running game to reduce the need to pass.  But there is a reason Drake is #4 in rush defense in the PFL, #2 in scoring defense and #3 in total defense.  They took away our rushing attack in the second half and that forced Scott to be a thrower.  And,  yes,  my earlier reference to reduced snaps was since Ben was named the starter.  Scott also slowed jitters in his other earlier appearances -- again, a reps and confidence thing.

valpochgo

I was at the game today and the defense played very well the whole game....  Unfortunately, the offense couldn't move the ball at all.  Definitely a game that Valpo should have won.  I know the defense is playing some younger players because of injuries and the kids stepped up today.   So when the original starters get healthy again, I feel the defense can compete much better than earlier in the season.  The defense only gave up 10 points and one TD actually came after a turnover by our offense in the Drake red zone.  The last score by Drake to get them to 17 on the scoreboard was a pick 6.....  I think Coach Cecc needs to try some younger players on offense because if your defense can hold an opponent to 10 points or less then you should win the game.

I know that the Valpo QB is taking a lot of heat today but from my seat in the stands 50% of the problem was the receivers weren't really open either.  Often the QB would be scrambling and the receivers would be standing watching him run versus trying to get open or breaking off their routes.

LaPorteAveApostle

I think that's probably true--it's a team game, so it's on the line and the receivers too--but Lehmann posted like a 133 rating with the same receivers and line versus the same defense...while Staal racked up like a 37.

I just feel the coaches are supposed to put players in the position to succeed.  You wouldn't make Peyton Manning run the read-option.  There has to be some bubble screen or something that the kid can do well rather than stuff he can't (especially in the wind).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

serviceable is usually not a characteristic that will get you to the promised land...

ole skol baller 2

Lehman may not be sitting in the QB seat if he doesn't not clear the concussion test this week. So Staal maybe the driving the team. As far as the freshman QB' they would not be ready to play and why would you want to blow a red shirt. Bottom line poor play calling second half.

valpochgo

Well it may not seem like it from our record but overall the team looks better to me.  I know I'm in the minority but I think the play calling and coaching looks good just the offensive execution wasn't there.  True you don't "want" to ruin a redshirt with 5 games left at this point but if Ben doesn't play next week you will still need another QB for back up for Staal. Often things don't go as planned especially in football when injuries are so prevalent; that's why teams have a "next man up" philosophy.   

I'm with the Herm Edwards philosophy on football...."You play to win the game."

Link to the post-game press conference will shed some light on the QB situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_8tAH4jGT08&feature=youtube_gdata