• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents Scoreboard 2014-2015 Season

Started by motowntitan, November 02, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, if both we and CSU win out, going into the last game--do we have to win that?

If we lose that, we're both 13-3 with a season split.

hm...yes we do, because that would leave us 1-1 vs UWGB while they'd be 2-0.

So we have to win 2 and have CSU lose one (probably at UWGB) to make 2/27 meaningless.

Well, still need to win it for any hope of an at-large, I suppose, so not meaningless meaningless, meaningless for purposes of seeding.

there.  used the same word three times in a row and made syntactical sense.  Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: agibson on February 15, 2015, 09:35:04 PM
Quote from: justducky on February 15, 2015, 04:38:09 PMWe now have maybe a 60% chance of winning out even though we probably will not need to.

You're counting on another UWGB loss? Or what's your scenario?

If GB beats CSU and loses to Oakland, we would have a 2-game cushion over all 3.

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2015, 09:47:57 PMSo we have to win 2 and have CSU lose one (probably at UWGB) to make 2/27 meaningless.

I was thinking that a likely scenario would be to keep the whole "Valpo, Oakland, CSU, Green Bay always win at home, only lose those corresponding games, and win most everything else" thing going.

We'd go to CSU 13-2 with CSU 11-4 and Green Bay 12-3. 

If we lost on the 27th, to go to 13-3, and Green Bay kept the trend alive, and beat Oakland in Green Bay on the 28th (_that_ game would then be for all the marbles), they'd be 13-3.

And, without checking carefully, I think we'd tie on all the tie-breakers, go to RPI, and UWGB would take it.

So, we count on UWGB losing _somewhere_.  Or, we have to win at CSU.

Did I get that right?

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah, that's a good point.  so perhaps we need to do the unthinkable, and root for the team closer to us (CSU) to win?

this is a complicated year...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2015, 09:47:57 PMBuffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Western NY spicy heavily-built-wild-ox meat that serves to intimidate and overawe?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

Hopefully we play Buck Futler in the tourney and absolutely embarrass them.

Valpofan00

Quote from: classof2014 on February 16, 2015, 10:21:10 AM
Hopefully we play Buck Futler in the tourney and absolutely embarrass them.
Butler is pretty good this year though...

LaPorteAveApostle

talksalot

Butler's Andrew Chrabascz is out 2-4 weeks because of a broken hand
February 15, 2015 12:11 pm ET

Butler sophomore Andrew Chrabascz met with doctors Sunday and was diagnosed with a broken hand suffered in Saturday's loss to Villanova. He will miss 2-4 weeks, the school said Sunday afternoon.

"He is obviously very important to us," Butler coach Chris Holtmann said.

Chrabascz is averaging 11.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 27.2 minutes per game. The 6-foot-7 forward played much of the second half against Villanova with the injury. He finished with eight points and four rebounds in 33 minutes.

Butler (18-7, 8-4 Big East) is ranked No. 18 by AP and plays Monday at Creighton

Valpofan00

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 16, 2015, 11:02:59 AM
so are we
Oh Cmon they almost beat the 6th best team in the country. We have bad losses. I'm not saying we couldn't upset them because we could. I'm just saying we aren't on the same level as them.

valpotx

Is this just like how we weren't on the same level in the current 4 game win streak we have against them?  Give me a break, we don't fear Buck Futler like we do other schools that have basketball tradition.  We panic against BCS teams, we don't panic against Buck Futler...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2015, 02:21:13 PMIs this just like how we weren't on the same level in the current 4 game win streak we have against them?  Give me a break, we don't fear Buck Futler like we do other schools that have basketball tradition.  We panic against BCS teams, we don't panic against Buck Futler...

I question this. Not one of our current players have ever played against Butler, correct?

Sometimes too many of our own feelings about certain opponents are projected on the team when things like this are discussed.

I'm all for beating Butler any day and every day. But you wouldn't think playing Missouri would have had the effect that it did either.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: historyman on February 16, 2015, 03:05:22 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2015, 02:21:13 PMIs this just like how we weren't on the same level in the current 4 game win streak we have against them?  Give me a break, we don't fear Buck Futler like we do other schools that have basketball tradition.  We panic against BCS teams, we don't panic against Buck Futler...

I question this. Not one of our current players have ever played against Butler, correct?

Sometimes too many of our own feelings about certain opponents are projected on the team when things like this are discussed.

I'm all for beating Butler any day and every day. But you wouldn't think playing Missouri would have had the effect that it did either.
[/b]

Look, Missouri was on the road and essentially the first game in a Valpo uniform for 3 freshman plus D Walker and E. Victor.  Add very early foul trouble for Alec and we got what we got.  Heck, given all that, we were only down 1 at the half.

As for Butler, yes, they are having a good season. The game last Saturday was at home and I'm sure home court advantage is as good in their league as it is in ours.  Personnel wise we match up very well with them.  Their style of play keep their games close and that is why they have a chance to win in the end.  Their talent isn't overwhelming at all. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Kyle321n

So in good news, our RPI can improve slightly tonight.

ETSU plays Tennessee Tech and is favored by 7 points.
Arkansas Pine Bluff plays Alcorn St. and is favored by 9 points.

Go Bucs and Golden Lions!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Completely agree with valpotx on this one, we don't fear them (I don't care if not one of these players was on the team then) and they know very well that we have beaten some of their best teams in the very recent past.  Makes the world of difference.

Who cares whether they almost beat the #6 team in the rankings.  We beat them the year they played for the national championship.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 16, 2015, 03:25:53 PMArkansas Pine Bluff plays Alcorn St. and is favored by 9 points

Well, there goes that opportunity... POSTPONED   Neither schools website has the story (Alcorn State does not have the results of their game on Saturday night on their site). 

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 16, 2015, 03:25:53 PMETSU plays Tennessee Tech and is favored by 7 points.

and They Covered ! 87-79    This did not cause a sudden spike in our RPI (Nolan anyway)... we're still at #61.

I see Nova and Ginny joined out Lofty 24-win season mark tonight.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on February 16, 2015, 09:00:27 PMWell, there goes that opportunity... POSTPONED   Neither schools website has the story (Alcorn State does not have the results of their game on Saturday night on their site). 

It may be that Arkansas doesn't have salt trucks.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/28120064/uapb-reschedules-doubleheader-against-alcorn-state

http://pbcommercial.com/sports/uapb/uapb-postpones-alcorn-state-games-tuesday

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on February 16, 2015, 09:47:42 PM
Quote from: talksalot on February 16, 2015, 09:00:27 PMWell, there goes that opportunity... POSTPONED   Neither schools website has the story (Alcorn State does not have the results of their game on Saturday night on their site). 

It may be that Arkansas doesn't have salt trucks.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/28120064/uapb-reschedules-doubleheader-against-alcorn-state

http://pbcommercial.com/sports/uapb/uapb-postpones-alcorn-state-games-tuesday

After I broke my hip just south of Memphis in a car accident last February I can certainly tell you that Arkansas doesn't have salt trucks. Although the accident happened on dry roads in northern Mississippi there were numerous accidents on icy roads on I-55 in Arkansas that weren't happening in the same freezing weather in Missouri because Missouri salted their roads all the way down to the AR/MO state line.

Valpo18

Quote from: FWalum on February 16, 2015, 07:19:17 PM
I question this. Not one of our current players have ever played against Butler, correct? Sometimes too many of our own feelings about certain opponents are projected on the team when things like this are discussed. I'm all for beating Butler any day and every day. But you wouldn't think playing Missouri would have had the effect that it did either.
Completely agree with valpotx on this one, we don't fear them (I don't care if not one of these players was on the team then) and they know very well that we have beaten some of their best teams in the very recent past.  Makes the world of difference. Who cares whether they almost beat the #6 team in the rankings.  We beat them the year they played for the national championship.

I agree and disagree.

We beat Butler in 2010-11 (I was at that game and it was a phenomenal game to be at!) and they responded (after losing at Youngstown) by going on their second historical run. Before that, I can't remember the last time we beat them. 2011-2012 was one of their worst seasons (yes, even worse then the season they had last year), but we clearly stomped them. The only good team we beat was 10-11.

Nonetheless, I think that Butler would be a perfect match for us in the tourney and would be the best 5 and lower seed for us to play. Recent success goes a long ways, even if the players haven't played them. We match up against them well.

classof2014

No matter what if Valpo makes the tourney we'll be the underdogs. We'll be a 12 or a 13 playing a 4 or 5. I agree Butler would be a great matchup, watched their game against Creighton last night, they won by taking a 2 point lead with about 2 seconds remaining. Nothing about them screams unbeatable. I know they were without one of their best players, how long? not sure. They play low scoring games, thus teams can hang with them, which makes them beatable.

The range for Valpo at a chance of winning a first round games ranges from 10% (Louisville) to 40% (Butler).

No matter what Valpo will be expected to lose, that's why Valpo will be an 12 or 13 not a 4 or 5.

agibson

Does make you wonder about our mentality, building from our weak schedule.

Was there a game this season where we felt like underdogs?

Maybe you don't need that, maybe you -want- to go in as a 14 seed ( ok... hopefully 13... 12?)thinking "We can hang in with these guys punch for punch."

But, I wonder. 

Surely, for -maximum- ability to compete with the big dogs, you'd want to play them regularly?  Have three or four in conference?  That comes with a whole host if ither issues, of course.

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2015, 08:50:19 AM
Does make you wonder about our mentality, building from our weak schedule.

Was there a game this season where we felt like underdogs?

Maybe you don't need that, maybe you -want- to go in as a 14 seed ( ok... hopefully 13... 12?)thinking "We can hang in with these guys punch for punch."

But, I wonder. 

Surely, for -maximum- ability to compete with the big dogs, you'd want to play them regularly?  Have three or four in conference?  That comes with a whole host if ither issues, of course.

I would say @Green Bay certainly felt like a game we were going to lose. Once the game tipped though I thought "we might pull this off" the entire game. It's hard to believe but we were the underdogs going into the Murray St. game and I had no idea what to expect from this team before the tip. After it I still didn't know what we were, but I knew we had a chance to be in the top 3 of the league for sure. The EKU game was a pick em for gamblers, so maybe you could say we were a slight dog, but being equal on the road obviously meant we were the better team.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

CSU game at western Carolina cancelled due to ice.  Thought it was an odd game in the February conference schedule.  They were to fly there and back and then fly to Green Bay and then travel to milwaukee.  I wonder if they are stuck in Carolina.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 17, 2015, 09:57:01 AM
CSU game at western Carolina cancelled due to ice.  Thought it was an odd game in the February conference schedule.  They were to fly there and back and then fly to Green Bay and then travel to milwaukee.  I wonder if they are stuck in Carolina.

Selfishly, that is bad news.  That travel schedule would be very hard on anyone. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

I'm guessing CSU was looking for a way out of this one.   too bad.