• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Potential Violation or Crummy Research?

Started by VUOR63, December 24, 2014, 12:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUOR63

Great story about a kid from my high school.  But the last paragraph is a little disturbing--the PFL may want to look at this.

http://www.people.com/article/riley-quinn-one-armed-athlete-inspires

VULB#62

I vote crummy research.  For the writer, it made the story more compelling to say it was a football scholarship.  And technically every FB player at Yale is a walk-on.

I liked the brown and gold uniform too.

wh

historyman

"I never thought about being an inspiration to other people, but if I can be I think that would be great," says Quinn, who just received an offer of a full football scholarship from University of San Diego

My thinking is that the writer is confused by what kind of scholarship USD can offer. But it could be that USD has misrepresented the type of scholarship they are offering to this athlete born without a hand and forearm.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUOR63

Haha, VULB #62.  Funny that you noticed the Brown and Gold of the SFHS Lancers.  I went from a Brown and Gold high school to a Brown and Gold college--what are the odds of that?!