• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

@Butler 11/7

Started by VULB#62, September 29, 2015, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Never too early to start considering retention of the Hoosier Helmet, right Tex?

The schedule is slightly in our favor.  We come off a game with Stetson on October 24th followed by our bye weekend (Halloween). Butler, on the other hand, is on the  road against Dayton on the 24th and again @ Marist the 31st -- both tough physical teams.  Coming into what will be a real competitive Stetson game, we will have to deal with a very strong Dayton team. But I am optimistic that we will come into Stetson confidently, play well, win, and then build on that in the bye week while Butler has other things on their mind.

Now back to focusing on Davidson  ;)

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2015, 12:36:39 PM
Never too early to start considering retention of the Hoosier Helmet, right Tex?

The schedule is slightly in our favor.  We come off a game with Stetson on October 24th followed by our bye weekend (Halloween). Butler, on the other hand, is on the  road against Dayton on the 24th and again @ Marist the 31st -- both tough physical teams.  Coming into what will be a real competitive Stetson game, we will have to deal with a very strong Dayton team. But I am optimistic that we will come into Stetson confidently, play well, win, and then build on that in the bye week while Butler has other things on their mind.

In the we're getting ahead of ourselves analysis department  ;D let's hope for some "weather" for Stetson.  A trip from the comfort of late October in Central Florida...typically absolutely beautiful at 80 degrees....to a cold windy day in Indiana won't be well received. It is tough to deal with when you aren't acclimated.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on September 29, 2015, 02:24:03 PM

In the we're getting ahead of ourselves analysis department  ;D let's hope for some "weather" for Stetson.  A trip from the comfort of late October in Central Florida...typically absolutely beautiful at 80 degrees....to a cold windy day in Indiana won't be well received. It is tough to deal with when you aren't acclimated.

I'll see what I can do  ::)

bbtds

Quote from: VU2624 on September 29, 2015, 02:24:03 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2015, 12:36:39 PM

I wished for a win and then several days of rain in Pittsburgh for the Cardinals and it looks like it might come true. They show a rain out for tonight (Tue) and a doubleheader for Wed. But the rain is forecast for 48 hours straight. Who knew? The Cubs might wish those games get played because the Pirates can't get it done. ZERO runs after 10 walks by Cardinal pitching. Talk about firing blanks----Arrrrrrrrgh!  Shiver their timbers!  ;)

valpotx

Clarke looks terrible against Drake.  I can't see us beating anyone else if he plays like today.

Butler 34
Valpo 14
"Don't mess with Texas"

ml2

Thanks IndyValpo for posting the link to the event. That link includes date, time and location information as well as the ability to RSVP for the event online. People planning to attend will need to buy their own game ticket and parking, but an RSVP does include free BBQ, soft drinks and beer. Hopefully a lot of Indianapolis area alumni, football parents and friends of the program will show up and support the Crusaders as they look to keep the Hoosier Helmet for another year.

VU2624

Marist beat up on Butler today so maybe if Valpo can shake off whatever was going on vs. Stetson they can be competitive.

Looking ahead, Morehead and Drake are in OT.

usc4valpo

Based on Sagarin, Butler is a 19 point favorite.

Butler 34, Valpo 14. The Saders need to show me that they can score some points.

covufan

The improvement from the 2013 defense to the 2014 defense does not appear to have maintained for 2015.  Was hoping for some more improvement.  Would like to keep a PFL team under 34 points.

Butler  31
Valpo   17

VULB#62

Putting things into perspective:  Last year we beat them by holding them to 3 points.  A good measure of that was due to the loss of their QB before our game.  That same QB is back this year and doing quite well as both a passer and an option runner.  That will put even more pressure on a D that has been inconsistent and giving up long drives early in games.

It's a long drive to Indianapolis from Green Bay, but I'll be there and hoping we've straightened out some of our issues.  Looking to be competitive right now -- that's all.

RedHawk

If you're going to the game, be aware that traffic patterns will be different due to the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon.

I'm not allowed to post external links yet, but if you Google the marathon, you can see the course map.

Looking forward to meeting some of you there!

IndyValpo

See directions, below. The tailgate picture didn't copy but it is in the southeast corner of the parking lot (49th and Boulevard).

Here is the race route:
http://www.monumentalmarathon.com/courses/2015-IMMfull.pdf

Below is the location of our tailgate setup for Saturday morning. Let the parking attendant know that you are with the Valpo tailgate, and they will direct you accordingly. If you would like to bring chairs to sit in during the tailgate, please feel free to do so, as we will not have a tent for seating that morning.

The Monumental Marathon will be taking place Saturday morning, with part of the race coming very close to the Butler Bowl. The directions provided by Butler's athletic department are as follows for the quickest route to the stadium:

Coming from North - Get on Spring Mill Rd. (approx. 2 blocks west of Meridian) somewhere north of 66th St, take it until ends at Kessler, go east until Illinois St., turn south, go to 49th St. and then go west.

Tickets for the game can be purchased online, or at the gate on game day. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 219.464.5142 or alumni@valpo.edu. Go Valpo!

usc4valpo

It gameday in NapTown baby!

Hey, does Butler still have that goofy marching band ala Stanford? They were pretty good!

Go Valpo and SC!

usc4valpo

Halftime and the Saders are hanging in there in NapTown.

Griffin Norberg, yes a freshman with only 7 receptions this season, is having a big game.

Norberg...wasn't that O.J. Simpson's role in the Naked Gun?

vu72

Watched the second half.  We continue to make fatal mistakes.  Tod kept saying that the defense only allowed 313 yards but 42 points but that isn't correct.  The defense allowed 28 points.  The offense gave up 14 on 2 pick 6's.  That's on our quarterback.

We had TERRIBLE field position in the second half--like two punts inside the 2 and another inside the 10. 

Did we belong on the same field as Butler?  Absolutely.  I have hope.  We do seem to be getting better.  We need to continue to improve on the very young offensive line. Quarterback is a position that needs to be up for grabs.  Clarke isn't getting it done.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

It looked like Butler's special teams were awesome.

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on November 07, 2015, 05:05:27 PM
Watched the second half.  We continue to make fatal mistakes.  Tod kept saying that the defense only allowed 313 yards but 42 points but that isn't correct.  The defense allowed 28 points.  The offense gave up 14 on 2 pick 6's.  That's on our quarterback.

We had TERRIBLE field position in the second half--like two punts inside the 211 and another inside the 10. 

Did we belong on the same field as Butler?  Absolutely.  I have hope.  We do seem to be getting better.  We need to continue to improve on the very young offensive line. Quarterback is a position that needs to be up for grabs.  Clarke isn't getting it done.

I'm in agreement with the yardage and points allowed by defense you made about Todd's comments. One reason why the defensive yardage and points numbers were down was because the offense gave Butler two touchdowns but that's also two possessions taken away from Butlers offense when they may have racked up some yardage. The defense was ok...possibly a winnable effort with better play from the offense.

The specifics of the QB play today could take up two pages. The OL gets no push in the running game but there was opportunity missed on a number of passes on 3rd down with balls bounced, thrown behind or too high. One each to Rene and Shea when they couldn't have been more wide open on third down. Middle school stuff. This is not even taking into consideration the pick 6's which are just occurring too often.

As critical as I've been about the coaches, I thought it was a well thought out game plan that could have been executed better.

usc4valpo

5110 at the Butler Bowl - pretty impressive.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on November 07, 2015, 06:42:12 PM
Quote from: vu72 on November 07, 2015, 05:05:27 PM

We had TERRIBLE field position in the second half--like two punts inside the 211 and another inside the 10. 

I'm in agreement with the yardage and points allowed by defense you made about Todd's comments. One reason why the defensive yardage and points numbers were down was because the offense gave Butler two touchdowns but that's also two possessions taken away from Butlers offense when they may have racked up some yardage. The defense was ok...possibly a winnable effort with better play from the offense.

The specifics of the QB play today could take up two pages. The OL gets no push in the running game but there was opportunity missed on a number of passes on 3rd down with balls bounced, thrown behind or too high. One each to Rene and Shea when they couldn't have been more wide open on third down. Middle school stuff. This is not even taking into consideration the pick 6's which are just occurring too often.

As critical as I've been about the coaches, I thought it was a well thought out game plan that could have been executed better.

I made the trek and saw first hand what you guys observed.  Though the score was 42-21, in my mind we lost 28-21.  Wind was also a factor.  Seemed like our punts would get held up and go for only a few yards while the wind died down for Butler  ::)  Got to hand it to the BU punter though -- great punting and I do not disagree that for it he got PFL ST POW. Also because of the blustery wind, Butler, luckily for them, wound up with some GREAT field position that allowed for shorter drives.

Regarding Ryan's play, a couple of plays stood out.  Coming out of one of those downed punts inside the 5, he had a throwback pass to a wide open receiver on his left.  But he floated the pass.  The receiver had to wait for it, and by the time he caught it, the secondary had reacted and covered him.  Instead of a 15+ yard gain -- maybe only 5 yards. On the first pick 6, right in from of me, it was off a roll right.  The pass was thrown about chest high to the receiver who was right at the sideline positioned for a first down. Those kinds of throws need to be hard and low where only the receiver can get to it.  The BU kid just stepped in front, caught it, and waltzed into the end zone.

It was not until after the second pick 6 that Scott got the call.  The difference in the passing execution was an immediate marked improvement.  The ball was coming out crisply and more accurately. Very tight spiral.  I heard on the MSU preview that he might get the starting nod.  I hope so.  Based on his play Saturday, he deserves it.  He still can't move around very well and took a huge sack, but with 1st team reps and quicker cuts by the receivers along with a faster release, that might not be as much of an issue.

Short yardage situations are another area that needs reevaluation and greater focus.  On a number of occasions we had 2nd and 1 or 2 and could not get the 1st down.  Tough to do when:  the OL is not driving forward (push); the ball is snapped back 7 yards and gives an attacking DL additional time to get up a head of steam; and the hand-off is on a lateral run rather than directly at the LOS.  Aside from bringing in a large O lineman, the system does not have the capability to just line up and smash mouth the ball 1 or 2 yards.

The final area that needs improvement -- TAILGATING!  We were at the Valpo Alum Tailgate along with a 100 or so Valpo fans.  The Butler tailgate, on the other hand,  was incredible.  Tailgating was being superbly practiced in the same lot we were in and must have covered an area at least the size of the lot between Guild/Memorial and Kroencke if not more.  I only wish that President Heckler and the BofD could have been there to witness how an event of this nature can work to generate and reinforce alumni support.  The marching band was there to entertain, there was grilling all over the place and tremendous camaraderie.  BTW, there was a pretty good number of Valpo fans there.  We would have filled up the whole visitors side except the BU band took up a third of the stands.

usc4valpo

62- regarding the tailgating remarks, why is Valpo so anti-tailgating? Comraderie before the game is just plain fun.

Valpo needs to review their QB situation, but I think they are moving forward to next year.

VULB#62

Two things come to my mind. 1) you need a special dispensation to serve/ imbibe alcohol, and 2) tailgating has never been embraced as a way of life on the VU campus. It's not that Valpo is anti-tailgating; it's that Valpo alumni, administration and students are just not tailgaters.

The FB parents try but the tent on the grass is half empty most of the time and there are no other tailgates going on anywhere else. IMO - The dry campus edict under Harre (?) did much to squeeze the life out of campus life and it also impacted how alumni approached attending FB (and maybe basketball) games.  Now people who want to attend, just show up for the kickoff. The incentive to party beforehand has been sucked out of fans cuz they know there is nothing going on. So if you drive from, say, Genview IL with a grill and beer and all the rest of the tailgate stuff, you run the risk of being challenged by the VUPD ( and you would be the only group doing it anyway). Signs at Butler  called the lot the reserved tail gate lot.  It was a clear message: Come here. Congregate.  Renew friendships. Revel in how great the Butler experience was/still is. And BTW, if you are enjoying this, fork over a few bucks for the athletic program when you get home.

A lot of posters hate the Butler arrogance. After experiencing the game Saturday, I can see why they are arrogant toward us if not everyone else. Yet, as we walked around in our VU gear we were greeted nicely wherever we went. We chatted with BU fans. We were given a free ticket to the game. Hate to admit it but Butler  just all-around does it better. If I were a BU alum, I'd be arrogant too.

usc4valpo

The dry campus philosophy really needs to go, they went overboard on this.  Almost all tailgaters are responsible. It adds a little life to campus life - heck, maybe some good food and drink will promote more students to stay on campus for the weekend. Tailgating gets families and friends together.

VU needs to lighten up on this - it sounds like Butler, a university will similar academic standards, have their act together.

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 10, 2015, 01:02:36 PMI made the trek and saw first hand what you guys observed.  Though the score was 42-21, in my mind we lost 28-21.  Wind was also a factor.  Seemed like our punts would get held up and go for only a few yards while the wind died down for Butler  ::)  Got to hand it to the BU punter though -- great punting and I do not disagree that for it he got PFL ST POW. Also because of the blustery wind, Butler, luckily for them, wound up with some GREAT field position that allowed for shorter drives.

Regarding Ryan's play, a couple of plays stood out.  Coming out of one of those downed punts inside the 5, he had a throwback pass to a wide open receiver on his left.  But he floated the pass.  The receiver had to wait for it, and by the time he caught it, the secondary had reacted and covered him.  Instead of a 15+ yard gain -- maybe only 5 yards. On the first pick 6, right in from of me, it was off a roll right.  The pass was thrown about chest high to the receiver who was right at the sideline positioned for a first down. Those kinds of throws need to be hard and low where only the receiver can get to it.  The BU kid just stepped in front, caught it, and waltzed into the end zone.

It was not until after the second pick 6 that Scott got the call.  The difference in the passing execution was an immediate marked improvement.  The ball was coming out crisply and more accurately. Very tight spiral.  I heard on the MSU preview that he might get the starting nod.  I hope so.  Based on his play Saturday, he deserves it.  He still can't move around very well and took a huge sack, but with 1st team reps and quicker cuts by the receivers along with a faster release, that might not be as much of an issue.

Short yardage situations are another area that needs reevaluation and greater focus.  On a number of occasions we had 2nd and 1 or 2 and could not get the 1st down.  Tough to do when:  the OL is not driving forward (push); the ball is snapped back 7 yards and gives an attacking DL additional time to get up a head of steam; and the hand-off is on a lateral run rather than directly at the LOS.  Aside from bringing in a large O lineman, the system does not have the capability to just line up and smash mouth the ball 1 or 2 yards.

The final area that needs improvement -- TAILGATING!  We were at the Valpo Alum Tailgate along with a 100 or so Valpo fans.  The Butler tailgate, on the other hand,  was incredible.  Tailgating was being superbly practiced in the same lot we were in and must have covered an area at least the size of the lot between Guild/Memorial and Kroencke if not more.  I only wish that President Heckler and the BofD could have been there to witness how an event of this nature can work to generate and reinforce alumni support.  The marching band was there to entertain, there was grilling all over the place and tremendous camaraderie.  BTW, there was a pretty good number of Valpo fans there.  We would have filled up the whole visitors side except the BU band took up a third of the stands.
Came down from FW to visit our daughter at her new home which is about 5 blocks from the Butler Bowl. What a gorgeous Fall day! Hats off to the Indy and football alums who supplied the food and drink for the tailgate event.  The food was outstanding and the selection of Sun King beer was excellent (could not believe the event was free of charge)!

Really thought that we had the momentum going into the second half, but the poor field position and penalty on that opening second half drive took the wind out of our sails and set the tone of the rest of the third quarter.

What was up with the BU band sitting on the Visitor's side???  We had to stand for the first quarter and then some other VU fans took pity on us and let us squeeze into some seats. I thought this was rather inconsiderate considering they had to be aware that we would bring a fair amount of fans.

I was really amazed at the Butler tailgate, VU needs to encourage this type of alumni/fan activity.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

62 - I am not sure I agree your tailgating theory. If folks experienced it, they would do it. Valpo needs to loosen up on the laws for this.