• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Stetson 10/24

Started by VULB#62, October 17, 2015, 11:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

We played a solid second half of the first quarter and a good 2nd quarter  against THE TOP PFL TEAM to go into the locker room at the half down only 14-17. Yeah, we self destructed in the 3rd quarter, but considering who we were playing and who we had on the field, I think we set a solid foundation for a win vs. Stetson next Saturday.  The PFL is not a balanced league.  Period.  There are the haves and the have nots.  We have to first win the "have not" championship.  We can move in that direction with a win on Saturday.  We need to beat Stetson  first -- and we can.  Then hopefully Butler. Those two wins could give us the confidence to take Morehead. 

I see weekly overall improvement on a week to week basis.  Not huge improvement, but improvement.  I could not say that from 2010 -2013. These kids will give us two more wins this season despite their youth and inexperience. It starts with Stetson.

usc4valpo

In the spirit of defeating the Hatters, check out this 3 Stooges episode at around the 5:40 mark...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqls02_three-stooges-027-the-sitter-downers-colour_fun

VU2624

I know there's an element of seeking only the positives with some while ignoring the more prolific negative but, while I agree the PFL is a have and have nots league, and I'm not sure which game thread this belongs in but there is a bit too much seeking out the positives with yesterdays game. There is no offensive rhythm. I can tell you what plays are coming based on personnel and formation (think the opposition might pick up on a cue or two?) and there's an entire body of plays which appear unavailable to the coaching staff since they don't look at them. The youth issue is also getting a bit tiresome as other teams have pounded Valpo with true and redshirt freshmen QBs while Valpo's seniors make extraordinarily bad plays.

With that said, the Stetson game is a very winnable game. They seem to struggle to score and Valpo should be able to put up enough points...maybe 17-20 to win the game.

Butler? Butler just beat a team Valpo won late against by more than 4 TDs. How that's a win at this point I'm not sure.

bbtds

It does seem a shame that Ben Lehman didn't get to play for Cecchini more than one year. Also there have been too many injuries for a team relying on underclassman to back up the starters this season.

FloridaFootball

It would be nice to have last years defensive players this year as well.

VULB#62

Here are Saturday's results and the attached Sagarin rating [Click to enlarge].

On the Sagarin chart, despite our loss we moved up one slot (!) to our pre-season rating number of 251  :)  -- basically due to Dayton's high rating.  Note that some teams who lost also rose while some teams who won went down.

PFL Scores: Saturday, Oct. 17 [Bold/underline are 2015 scheduled opponents]

Butler 38, Davidson 7
Jacksonville 49, Edward Waters 28
Campbell 16, Stetson 6
Dayton 44, VALPARAISO 14
San Diego 27, Drake:o

:o Most interesting score of the week belongs to USD shutting down a good Drake squad.  Other observations:  the JU QB threw six (6) TDs after giving up a 100 yard pick 6 on their first drive -- so was it actually 7?. 

Here's the Stetson/Campbell summary: DeLAND, Fla. – Campbell used a 13-point third quarter to win in come-from-behind fashion, 16-6, in Saturday PFL action at Spec Martin Stadium. Stetson led 6-3 at halftime thanks to two Grant Amick field goals and held that lead midway through the third quarter. Campbell took the lead when running back DeShawn Jones capped an 11-play, 73-yard drive with a one-yard touchdown dive. On its next possession, Campbell needed just one play for the score when Kameron Bryant found Damon Simmons for a 72-yard score despite pass interference. Bryant completed 14-of-24 passes for 193 yards and a touchdown. Stetson was held to 183 total offensive yards.

Campbell vs STETSON (Oct 17, 2015 at DeLand , Fla.)
Team Totals    CAM    STETSON
FIRST DOWNS    19    11
   Rushing    12    5
   Passing    6    4
   Penalty    1    2
NET YARDS RUSHING    158    88
   Rushing Attempts    48    30
   Average Per Rush    3.3    2.9
   Rushing Touchdowns    1    0
   Yards Gained Rushing    231    126
   Yards Lost Rushing    73    38
NET YARDS PASSING    193    95
   Completions-Attempts-Int    14-24-1    8-26-1
   Average Per Attempt    8.0    3.7
   Average Per Completion    13.8    11.9
   Passing Touchdowns    1    0
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS    351    183
   Total offense plays    72    56
   Average Gain Per Play    4.9    3.3
Fumbles: Number-Lost    1-1    0-0
Penalties: Number-Yards    7-55    7-58
PUNTS-YARDS    4-172    7-256
   Average Yards Per Punt    43.0    36.6
   Net Yards Per Punt    42.8    36.6
   Inside 20    1    1
   50+ Yards    2    1
   Touchbacks    0    0
   Fair catch    0    3
KICKOFFS-YARDS    4-232    3-170
   Average Yards Per Kickoff    58.0    56.7
   Net Yards Per Kickoff    43.0    35.0
   Touchbacks    0    2
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD    0-0-0    1-1-0
   Average Per Return    0.0    1.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD    1-15-0    4-60-0
   Average Per Return    15.0    15.0
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD    1-2-0    1-20-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD    0-0-0    0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards    0    0
Possession Time    33:37    26:23
   1st Quarter    7:04    7:56
   2nd Quarter    8:11    6:49
   3rd Quarter    7:59    7:01
   4th Quarter    10:23    4:37
Third-Down Conversions    5 of 14    3 of 14
Fourth-Down Conversions    0 of 3    0 of 2
Red-Zone Scores-Chances    2-3    1-2
   Touchdowns    1-3    0-2
   Field goals    1-3    1-2
Sacks By: Number-Yards    5-27    3-17
PAT Kicks    1-2    0-0
Field Goals    1-1    2-2
Points off turnovers    0    3

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on October 18, 2015, 10:39:54 AM

With that said, the Stetson game is a very winnable game. They seem to struggle to score and Valpo should be able to put up enough points...maybe 17-20 to win the game.

Butler? Butler just beat a team Valpo won late against by more than 4 TDs. How that's a win at this point I'm not sure.

Absolutely agree on Stetson, but I also think Butler is a winnable game.  Here's my logic.

First, Sagarin ranks the bottom 4 PFL teams like this:  Butler 240, Stetson 250, Valpo 251, and Davidson 253 (yeah, I know not to put much credence in rankings, but it does give us a relative comparison).

Next, the Butler/Davidson score was a bit misleading. The game was @ Butler and Butler jumped out to a quick 14 pt lead but the score at the half was only 14-0.  The coffin nail was Butler scored first after the half and Davidson then just caved in and added to their death spiral. 

Third, our schedule favors a win.  Butler plays @ Dayton and @Marist before playing us.  Both games are against physical opponents that will tax their depth.  Butler might beat Marist, but I think it might might be a pyric victory at best. We, on the other hand have Stetson at home (hopefully a win to build upon) and then have a bye week to rest up banged up players, refine execution and build up motivation.

Fourth, it's a short trip to Indianapolis and.....

Fifth, we currently own the Hoosier Helmet and will be motivated to keep it.

covufan

We need a home win! (CoF doesn't count)

Valpo  31
Stetson 27

VULB#62

I don't see the 27.  Stetson 13 -- 1 TD + XP (late) and 2 FGs.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 19, 2015, 12:13:48 PM

:o Most interesting score of the week belongs to USD shutting down a good Drake squad.  Other observations:  the JU QB threw six (6) TDs after giving up a 100 yard pick 6 on their first drive -- so was it actually 7?. 

As an FYI...the team JU played...Ed Waters....Valpo would completely wipe the field with.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 19, 2015, 01:27:29 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on October 18, 2015, 10:39:54 AM

Absolutely agree on Stetson, but I also think Butler is a winnable game.  Here's my logic.

First, Sagarin ranks the bottom 4 PFL teams like this:  Butler 240, Stetson 250, Valpo 251, and Davidson 253 (yeah, I know not to put much credence in rankings, but it does give us a relative comparison).

Next, the Butler/Davidson score was a bit misleading. The game was @ Butler and Butler jumped out to a quick 14 pt lead but the score at the half was only 14-0.  The coffin nail was Butler scored first after the half and Davidson then just caved in and added to their death spiral. 

Third, our schedule favors a win.  Butler plays @ Dayton and @Marist before playing us.  Both games are against physical opponents that will tax their depth.  Butler might beat Marist, but I think it might might be a pyric victory at best. We, on the other hand have Stetson at home (hopefully a win to build upon) and then have a bye week to rest up banged up players, refine execution and build up motivation.

Fourth, it's a short trip to Indianapolis and.....

Fifth, we currently own the Hoosier Helmet and will be motivated to keep it.

While I enjoy the optimism, I don't share it.

I just don't see Valpo's offense putting up enough to win vs. Butler absent a major turnaround. There are a multitude of problems on the offense ranging from issues performance, personnel, philosophy (coaching) and depth.

usc4valpo

Saders 24
Mad Hatters 10

VULB#62

Some injury updates from Brandon Vickrey going into the Stetson game.  Tough to lose Nate's leadership at center.  He came back for his 5th year but now its a lost season for him.  Also feel bad for Dalton. After losing last season to injury, he joins Conner Smith who had the same season ending injury.

[tweet]657360985662038017[/tweet]
[tweet]657361416031227904[/tweet]
[tweet]657361890948063232[/tweet]
[tweet]657362677359054848[/tweet]
[tweet]657363016703483904[/tweet]

VULB#62

Weather forecast for game time tomorrow:  40% chance of rain at noon and 67 degrees.  Partly sunny by 3PM.  Would have loved to have the temps around 40 degrees (or lower) to welcome the Stetson players.  Oh, well.

VU2624

This will be interesting. Reading about Stetson's defense, they could be tough. Their offense appears poor. Valpo in a low scoring game....hopefully.

I agree about the weather. They'll be pretty comfortable even coming out of the mid 80 degree temperatures of October in Central Fl.

VU2624

Note to coaches which shouldn't need to be noted: You can't install new offensive schemes on Tuesday for a Saturday game. Do what you do and live with it. Meanwhile, new scheme yields nothing but a couple of turnovers, drops and missed assignments while the scheme you've been playing with all season goes right down the field to end the first half. So what do we do to open the second half? Go back to exactly what wasn't working.

VU2624

Start of 4th QTR and Valpo has 114 of total offense. 75 yds gained on one drive. The 75 yds was gained running out of the spread....you know the offense we've been running all year. The other 39 yards was gained with the "big" package...you know the offense we installed on Tuesday.

So I congratulate the staff on sticking with what's not working.

VU2624

Well...we scored. I guess that means the new scheme worked. The other 58 mins don't count.

PC will be interesting. Will Dave point out that the coaches elected to change things with 3 days of practice available to them which likely didn't instill any confidence in the team on the offensive side? Or will the blame immediately be shifted to the players? Will Todd ask him a challenging question or continue to just shake his head in agreement with the coach no matter what he says? How about asking him what happened to Jean Rene in the 2nd half...you know the guy who's scored 4 TDs in 3 weeks? He played sparingly in the 2nd half to make sure they got far lesser players on the field who fit the scheme.

First words out of Miran's mouth at halftime was "I don't think it's the scheme". You know what that tells everyone? He knows it's the scheme.

vu72

uh, disappointing.  Fumbles, offensive ineptitude.  Other stuff...

When does basketball start again??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Vinny

I brought my dad out for the first half. 30 minutes was more than enough to see us get punished by a mediocre team.

It felt nothing like a college football game. The stands were so empty that you could make out the yelling and screaming from a few in the crowd. The cheerleaders didn't even bother to show up. Just another bad day all around at Brown Field. It has to make you wonder how much longer the failure that is this football team is acceptable.

usc4valpo

729 fans is pathetic and embarrassing - and no fans and no cheerleaders?  Seriously?

This is a rough season with a lot of growing pains.

valpochgo

I didn't see the game but was surprised at the final score as I felt it was going to be a win for Valpo. Last week I spoke to some defensive players and they told me that many offensive players were frustrated with Miran's play calling and overall offense.  I didn't know they were changing schemes mid-week. Looks like the same plays every game I've seen so I thought it was the same scheme as from previous weeks.

Some players are also irritated at the lack of substitutions especially on defense and feel that tired players that are often over matched physically is another reason for many late game losses.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

One issue is that the current offensive talent is lacking and very, very green. Very few upper classmen are on this team, typical of a mid-to-lower end Division III team.

729 fans and no student interest is a very serious problem which the Valpo administration should notice.

VU2624

Quote from: valpochgo on October 24, 2015, 05:02:49 PM
I didn't see the game but was surprised at the final score as I felt it was going to be a win for Valpo. Last week I spoke to some defensive players and they told me that many offensive players were frustrated with Miran's play calling and overall offense.  I didn't know they were changing schemes mid-week. Looks like the same plays every game I've seen so I thought it was the same scheme as from previous weeks.

Some players are also irritated at the lack of substitutions especially on defense and feel that tired players that are often over matched physically is another reason for many late game losses.   

The main change was in putting in a "bigger" package and some more running plays out of the wing. In a sense they substituted the slot receivers out for TEs and in some cases those TEs lined up wide. These guys were not in a normal set as far as Valpo has lined up since the new staff took over. Presumably this was to get the running game going. In general I have no idea what the thought process is behind taking your 2nd and 3rd best WRs off the field including one who's scored 4 times in 3 games in order to put in, other than Catrine, guys slower off the line and with poorer hands. It makes no sense. Throw in the fact that this was added Tuesday of game week thus creating doubt on the offense which clearly carried over to the game and this one is a little more on the staff than I think they'd want to allow.

I can vouch for some of the offensive players being very frustrated on the playcalling and now scheme. I'm not sure this falls in Miran's lap based on the head coach's comments after the game of wanting to make the team tougher by continually looking to run the ball despite 8-9 in the box. Maybe they'll be tougher but without wins they'll be another coach in there to coach them if/when they get there.

vu72

Quote from: valpochgo on October 24, 2015, 05:02:49 PM

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 24, 2015, 05:00:47 PM
729 fans is pathetic and embarrassing - and no fans and no cheerleaders?  Seriously?

This is a rough season with a lot of growing pains.

Students are on fall break.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015