• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Spring Game - April 16th

Started by valpo04, March 12, 2011, 03:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I agree with milanmiracle. I really want to see this Valpo football team get things turned around. I will support them all year. I will cheer for them during the games and pray that some positive things happen for the program. On the other hand I am a realist. There were very few areas that anyone could point at and show that the 2010 team had improved over the year before. Even if the 2011 edition of Valpo football loses all their games if they make huge strides and lose some games by a touchdown or a field goal instead of 5 or 6 touchdowns that will be a huge positive the team can take into the next season. I want to see at least one win and maybe more but at least show some improvement over the previous year even if you lose.

sectionee

I was embarrassed watching the one game I saw in person last year, the game at home against St. Joe's.  But, like most of you, hopefully they can show some signs of improvement this year. 

Football Fan

You know what I am embarrassed of?  So called fans that leave by halftime.....so called fans that shout insulting comments.....so called fans who dont know the  I of loyalty.  Professors at Valpo who talk down the team to recruits.  I recognize and know how hard the past season was.......my son is not used to losing.....let alone this bad.  However, he and many others r not quitters.  They have been working hard to turn this situation around.  There r some excellent players on this team that were heavily recruited by some really good schools including winning pfl schools.  Coach is learning who his players r and who can win on the Field.    Let's see what happens.

milanmiracle

Look we get it, you're trying to be supportive of the football team and your son. I commend that. Nobody likes losing, and certainly people competing at the college level. But really? You're embarrassed that the fans leave at halftime? Seriously? Did you actually watch a game last year? I've seen scrimages that were more competitive and entertaining. I am impressed people came to the games at all. The fact that anybody even cares what happens says they are still fans of the team. I had a coach tell me once, when I stop yelling at you I stopped caring how you do. At least people are "yelling" (commenting, moaning, ect)

And let's clarify something here. It's not just the losing that's the issue here. Heck, that's normal for Valpo football anymore, it's the margin of defeat. This is D1 football, not 5th grade Pop Warner where they get participation trophy's because they tried really really hard.

*can anybody explain to me how it's possible to have excellent players and a great coach and not win a game and lose by an average of 6 touchdowns? 
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

Valpo89

If you want to track why some players end up leaving the program, just make sure to read the police blotter in The Times. There's often interesting information in there, particularly on Tuesday's after a wild weekend of fun. It can also explain why some players who are on the roster at the beginning of the season are no longer there by the end.

Rufus

Hey, Football Fan. To you and your son - hang in there. Some of the 'fans' on this site should be ashamed of themselves. It always seem like those on the sidelines think they have all the answers. I, for one, really believe Coach Carlson will turn things around. Yes, it may take a couple years, but a man with the success he has had does not suddenly forget how to do it. And no, I did not go to Valpo nor does my son play ball there, although at times I still wish he had decided on Valpo so he could be part of the effort to rebuild the program. Think about how great the winning will be when it starts to take place!

okinawatyphoon

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

covufan

Hopefully Coach Carlson has his team and will be ready for the fall season.  Based on Carlson's previous coaching stops, I believe he will turn things around.  I'm hoping that we win 3-4 games, and are competitive in 2-3 more. 

ValpoBy7

I like the way you think. Seems like the first class that Head Coach Carlson brought in was red shirted in order to be one year more mature. So last years team paid dearly for the preparations for this season. Explains why we did not see a decent result. Add on top of that the weeding out process, and you have a very tough result. Things should start to move in the right direction as viewed on the score board.

ValpoBy7

ValpoBy7

Found this on Rivals.com

Look under commits, Valparaiso 2011, and view three of our football recruits. There is video. You may also find them on Scout.com by searching the players name and 2011.

vuweathernerd

what did you find? a link might help.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoBy7

Since I am so new to the thread, the rules are I cannot post a link as of YET. I tried, and the offer was disallowed. Tough being a newbie!

vu72

Quote from: BradenNelson on May 01, 2011, 09:45:51 AM
As a recruit of Valpo's 2015 class, We are all very excited to get to campus and start competing. I am thrilled that all of you guys are as excited as we are. I hope you all have a great day. Feel free to follow me on twitter, just search BradenNelson

Welcome to the Board Braden!!  I watched some video of you and you look like a kid who likes to mix it up and run between the tackles.  Can you give us some insite into what you found interesting about Valpo, your impressions of the coaching staff and whether or not you have met, or have general impressions about the balance of your classmates?

We wish you all the best and surely hope you can be part of a complete turnaround and a PFL Championship!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

who were the other schools that you considered?

ValpoBy7

We would like Valparaiso folks to know that your coaching staff is really putting a great push on in bringing in quality young men who can play football. Over the years Rivals.com & Scout.com have not shown many kids going to Valpo. This is the first year in many that there is more than one player listed from those services who will attend Valpo. What this means is Valpo is getting exposure, as well credit for recruiting kids that want to play at a high level of competition.

My son is coming to Valpo, and we are very serious about winning, as well getting one of the best educations available. My son's school is sending their co Valedictorians to Notre Dame and Northwestern, and our son who will enter in pre-med is coming to Valpo. We are very honored to see Drew Akacki come to your fine school. I once played for the Georgia Bulldogs as an OL Tackle and Guard. Drew wants to help your program make a statement, and we believe in what Coach Carlson wants to accomplish which is build strong young men to not only represent the Life of Christ, but who are better for taking on the toughest of assignments. Winning will have costs, and our fans will surely need to withstand some more loss as we evolve into a winning program. How many wins do we want or believe can come? How much do you believe that Notre Dame won because they believed rather than had the best talent that was out there? Did ND stop winning because of lack of speed, lack of rock solid focus, or are they lacking in talent thus they cannot beat southern conferences that have superior talent?

We could go on into that area for weeks, and not accomplish much. I do know that human spirit and heart can do things that no man or women could dream up without our Almighty's strength. So how will we win? Player by player, and positive responses even in the face of defeat. I almost played with Rudy, and would have blocked Rudy in practice. I choose that Bulldogs over Notre Dame coming out of NJ, and caught grief for it as I was a Catholic going into the South. UGA beat ND in the 1981 Sugar Bowl to claim a 1980 National Championship. Since then UGA like ND has sat watching as the game has passed then by. As hard as they play they seem to miss the mark.

What Valpo has going for them is surprise, and a burning desire. Today kids / ball players want a challenge, and want to be part of something bigger than Facebook, Wei, Movies, I Pods, X Box, etc. Today kids are getiing smart in knowing that this world has changed and the next wave will have to be super focused and direct in getting what they want for their lives. This will be our edge, and we need to support this outlook. In years and decades past kids / ballplayers had it mush easier as life was richer in less of the unknown. As fear of the unknown can set back those that are not grounded, and in years past most did not have to worry about that sort of life as the world was moving fast in the right direction. Things have greatly changed for our youth. It is today why a Valpo will be seen as a magnet for changing the direction of events that will impact society as a whole. The better schools will become the place where the serious athlete comes to to start life. It is here at Valpo that we see this switch in dynamics of how society will move into 2020 and beyond. What is evolving for Valpo is bigger than football. "Go Valpo".

ValpoBy7

covufan

Quote from: ValpoBy7 on May 02, 2011, 10:33:03 PM
We would like Valparaiso folks to know that your coaching staff is really putting a great push on in bringing in quality young men who can play football. Over the years Rivals.com & Scout.com have not shown many kids going to Valpo. This is the first year in many that there is more than one player listed from those services who will attend Valpo. What this means is Valpo is getting exposure, as well credit for recruiting kids that want to play at a high level of competition.

My son is coming to Valpo, and we are very serious about winning, as well getting one of the best educations available. My son's school is sending their co Valedictorians to Notre Dame and Northwestern, and our son who will enter in pre-med is coming to Valpo. We are very honored to see Drew Akacki come to your fine school. I once played for the Georgia Bulldogs as an OL Tackle and Guard. Drew wants to help your program make a statement, and we believe in what Coach Carlson wants to accomplish which is build strong young men to not only represent the Life of Christ, but who are better for taking on the toughest of assignments. Winning will have costs, and our fans will surely need to withstand some more loss as we evolve into a winning program. How many wins do we want or believe can come? How much do you believe that Notre Dame won because they believed rather than had the best talent that was out there? Did ND stop winning because of lack of speed, lack of rock solid focus, or are they lacking in talent thus they cannot beat southern conferences that have superior talent?

We could go on into that area for weeks, and not accomplish much. I do know that human spirit and heart can do things that no man or women could dream up without our Almighty's strength. So how will we win? Player by player, and positive responses even in the face of defeat. I almost played with Rudy, and would have blocked Rudy in practice. I choose that Bulldogs over Notre Dame coming out of NJ, and caught grief for it as I was a Catholic going into the South. UGA beat ND in the 1981 Sugar Bowl to claim a 1980 National Championship. Since then UGA like ND has sat watching as the game has passed then by. As hard as they play they seem to miss the mark.

What Valpo has going for them is surprise, and a burning desire. Today kids / ball players want a challenge, and want to be part of something bigger than Facebook, Wei, Movies, I Pods, X Box, etc. Today kids are getiing smart in knowing that this world has changed and the next wave will have to be super focused and direct in getting what they want for their lives. This will be our edge, and we need to support this outlook. In years and decades past kids / ballplayers had it mush easier as life was richer in less of the unknown. As fear of the unknown can set back those that are not grounded, and in years past most did not have to worry about that sort of life as the world was moving fast in the right direction. Things have greatly changed for our youth. It is today why a Valpo will be seen as a magnet for changing the direction of events that will impact society as a whole. The better schools will become the place where the serious athlete comes to to start life. It is here at Valpo that we see this switch in dynamics of how society will move into 2020 and beyond. What is evolving for Valpo is bigger than football. "Go Valpo".

ValpoBy7

Thanks for your input.  I think most on this board want the football team to succeed.  Based on Coach Carlson's past record, I think he'll succeed where others were mediocre at best.  I'm not expecting to compete for the conference championship every year, but we need to be competitive in most games, and have winning seasons as the norm, not the exception. 

78crusader

I just read ValpoBy7's May 2 post. 

It is inspirational.  I can't wait to see what Coach Carlson -- and players like ValpoBy7's son -- will be able to accomplish.  I had a feeling when he was hired that Coach Carlson was totally committed to bringing in quality persons (and fine athletes) to our program, and it appears this is exactly what he is doing.  Better --much better --times are ahead for VU football. 

Paul

Crusader65

I've enjoyed reading all the postings and opinions.  Being new to this board but not new to VU sports I see goals and achievements from a far different perspective than many of the last 20 to 10 year knowledgeable posters claim.  VU has come a long way from the years I spent on campus.  The new president and the current administration bodes well for where VU needs to be in positioning and providing a complete college experience founded in principles and values. One example is the Shield of Character - In a world were most think character doesn't matter Valpo has chosen to set a standard for all to look towards.

This leads me directly into the Football program.  I believe Coach Carlson is the right person for the turnaround but even he didn't know the complete difficulty that lay in wait for him.  The beginning group he had seem to have the "want to" but not the "will to" make the drastic mindset reprogramming that is required to become competitive then winners.  I watched as each in game setback they became more resigned to their expected outcomes. This group just didn't have enough "winners" to overcome the "losers" in each huddle, sideline or fans.

Coach Carlson's exceptional focus on preparing for new experiences is just what is needed for these guys need to think in terms of positive outcomes and winning it when others are giving up.  I was blessed to play with a group of winners during 1969-1971 seasons and we overcame many setbacks, injuries, bad calls, bad plays, bad coaching and bad attitudes.  We took the responsibility for our performance.  I have to say that I've never been on the losing side of such lopsided scores. Although we did win some that way.  I think it would be impossible to imagine that much scoring against us but if it was beginning to happen we would have grabbed the grass in front of us and not given any more inches - slowing and containing the game.  Character Matters!

Crusader65

Maybe I should explain further my earlier statement.  The offense that Carlson wants is quick tempo ball control with short passing and quick options.  It's great if you have the personnel for it - namely strong armed accurate QB and fast intelligent receivers that read defenses and find the same open spot that the QB sees and running backs that can beat the first defender either by quickness, speed or strength.  This takes time to learn and develop.  Until then it's just a quick 3 and out.  The defense is then left on the field for larger and larger numbers of snaps in the game.  Anyone will breakdown with good teams getting plenty of tries.  Running up the score then is not necessarily a measure of talent as it is a measure of attrition.  I feel the offense will improve enough and with their good punter they can begin to change the field position and put them in better stead to be competitive in this coming season.  I certainly hope he begins to ride the new player he has recruited sooner than later (within the realm of maturity and talent).  They aren't carring the baggage of the last 6 years in recent history.  They, as the one father on this board said, are wanting to establish something bigger than themselves individually. It would be nice to to hear that victory bell clang again soon.  Go Valpo!