• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Video Boards

Started by valpomarketingguy, July 19, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

the ones at loyola do too, i believe.

valpospartan

There were two nice surprises at the VB game, tonight (VU- 3, UIC-0)  :thumbsup::
The video boards were full score boards , in addition to videos of team members & other graphics - very nice!!!  :)
The sound system was loud and clear.  ;D

Good job all!

agibson

I watched Valpo knock off Evansville a week or two ago, in the tournament we hosted.  I don't think they were showing pictures on the boards yet, but the audio system was going.  I think it was clear.  It was _definitely_ loud.  Made me consider ear plugs - and plan on them for the kids.

valpotx

All good to hear!  I look forward to seeing the boards the next time I can catch a broadcast.
"Don't mess with Texas"

chairback

The video board was up and working at todays Vball game.  I was really impressed.  Lots of graphics, player videos, etc.  Everything you'd expect from a "modern" scoreboard.  It looks like the shot clock timers have been updated also that are directly above the backboard.  The new scoreboard honestly made the ARC experience much better.  Job well done!  I took a picture of both scoreboards to share however it appears this fourm only allows file sizes from 1985.

To me there was no improvement on the sound system.  I heard many in the chairback section say it was hard to hear.  Plus you could her a humming sound when it was quite in the ARC.  ML, you need to resolve this for once and for all!

Crusader03

Quote from: chairback on October 01, 2011, 07:36:38 PM
The video board was up and working at todays Vball game.  I was really impressed.  Lots of graphics, player videos, etc.  Everything you'd expect from a "modern" scoreboard.  It looks like the shot clock timers have been updated also that are directly above the backboard.  The new scoreboard honestly made the ARC experience much better.  Job well done!  I took a picture of both scoreboards to share however it appears this fourm only allows file sizes from 1985.

To me there was no improvement on the sound system.  I heard many in the chairback section say it was hard to hear.  Plus you could her a humming sound when it was quite in the ARC.  ML, you need to resolve this for once and for all!

Well, that's old people for ya   :rotfl:

valpopal

How hard can this be? I sit only about 10 rows back at basketball games and sometimes have difficulty hearing the announcements, which is very frustrating. I know some folks in the upper section never hear any of it. I have attended a number of concerts at VU where the sound is excellent. How about asking for help from the sound check people who do the concerts?

valpospartan

Quote from: Crusader03 on October 01, 2011, 08:37:40 PM

Well, that's old people for ya   :rotfl:

Hey, watch it - I'm old and I can hear the new PA system just fine.

valpo04

Quote from: chairback on October 01, 2011, 07:36:38 PMI took a picture of both scoreboards to share however it appears this fourm only allows file sizes from 1985.

This and most forums prefer hotlinking pictures from other hosting sites.  Attachments are for smaller pics.

If your pictures are too big to attach, upload them to a picture hosting site then link to the image like most people do using the button above.

I like http://tinypic.com/

chairback

Thanks for the tip!

here they are.  Again this scoreboard was really impressive being it's in the ARC.  Each player had their own video clip that would pop up during intros and also whenever they did something well.  It will be really fun this year with basketball.  It also has to be a advertising dream for incoming cash to the university.  also, the huge mcdonalds logo at the bottom of the scoreboard is a small price considering how cool they are.

http://i54.tinypic.com/30cvd6v.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/5nkvnp.jpg

vuweathernerd

okinawatyphoon

Thanks for posting the pictures! Very impressive.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valporun

Quote from: valpopal on October 01, 2011, 09:25:20 PM

How hard can this be? I sit only about 10 rows back at basketball games and sometimes have difficulty hearing the announcements, which is very frustrating. I know some folks in the upper section never hear any of it. I have attended a number of concerts at VU where the sound is excellent. How about asking for help from the sound check people who do the concerts?

It's difficult to get the sound check people from the concerts when those people work for the acts that come in for concerts at the ARC. Yes, I know, seems a tad strange, but many of the sound guys for bands or individual acts travel with that particular group. Otherwise, there is a stiff union fee to pay for an honest sound guy. Why the current one is having so many issues, I don't know, other than they keep trying to do true sound checks thru a set of headphones?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valporun on October 02, 2011, 09:01:09 PM

It's difficult to get the sound check people from the concerts when those people work for the acts that come in for concerts at the ARC. Yes, I know, seems a tad strange, but many of the sound guys for bands or individual acts travel with that particular group. Otherwise, there is a stiff union fee to pay for an honest sound guy. Why the current one is having so many issues, I don't know, other than they keep trying to do true sound checks thru a set of headphones?

it's also hard to do a full sound check to accommodate for a full facility when the building is empty. and on top of that, the facilities in the vuca, as well as the chapel are permanently set up. so they only require a minimal check before use. the solution to that, i would think, would be pretty straightforward - have people that know what they're listening for stationed throughout the building and get their input to make realtime adjustments. but if they're replaced the speakers throughout the arc, and that hasn't done anything then there may be wiring issues to be looked at.

valpopal

Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 02, 2011, 09:25:14 PM

it's also hard to do a full sound check to accommodate for a full facility when the building is empty. and on top of that, the facilities in the vuca, as well as the chapel are permanently set up. so they only require a minimal check before use. the solution to that, i would think, would be pretty straightforward - have people that know what they're listening for stationed throughout the building and get their input to make realtime adjustments. but if they're replaced the speakers throughout the arc, and that hasn't done anything then there may be wiring issues to be looked at.

I was not speaking about hiring outside people (although it might be worth the cost). I was speaking about Valpo events with university folks, like the jazz band concerts in the union ballrooms or the symphony orchestra concerts in the chapel. We have people on campus who can do sound checks and at least offer suggestions.

When I was much younger, I worked as an assistant to sound people for rock groups that toured venues like the ARC, and our sound checks were always done with an empty facility. When the place was full, everyone heard the sound just fine.

I have also attended concerts at the ARC in which the sound was clear and balanced. It is really not that difficult if the equipment is sufficient.

blackpantheruwm

I love that the stats are part of the video interface, you can do any combination of stats on the screen.

agibson

The video board was up and working at todays Vball game.  I was really impressed.  Lots of graphics, player videos, etc.  Everything you'd expect from a "modern" scoreboard. 

I was there for about the middle 60% of the Butler game.  Some of the video looked pretty slick (mostly I saw the same five second clip over and over).  I'll look forward to seeing the intros sometime.

What I didn't see, but I think was mentioned earlier on this thread, were replays.

Did I just miss them?  I was hoping there might be some e.g. during intermissions between sets.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on October 02, 2011, 09:56:58 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 02, 2011, 09:25:14 PM

I was not speaking about hiring outside people (although it might be worth the cost). I was speaking about Valpo events with university folks, like the jazz band concerts in the union ballrooms or the symphony orchestra concerts in the chapel. We have people on campus who can do sound checks and at least offer suggestions.

When I was much younger, I worked as an assistant to sound people for rock groups that toured venues like the ARC, and our sound checks were always done with an empty facility. When the place was full, everyone heard the sound just fine.

I have also attended concerts at the ARC in which the sound was clear and balanced. It is really not that difficult if the equipment is sufficient.

If the ARC were a movie theater, it would have been out of business 10 years ago, based on recurring sound system problems alone.  How many of us would invite a group of friends over to watch a football game on a large screen TV, knowing it has a garbled sound system?  And if we did, who would have the audacity to keep inviting the same people over and over without ever having the sound fixed?    Anyone remember last year when visiting fans sitting in the higher mezzanine seats complained that they couldn't see the scoreboard because some of our banners were obstructing the view?  When's the last time someone tried to remove the stains and blotches that are all over the track, or try to restore the color.  Someone may mop it from time to time, I don't know.  What I do know is that it makes the ARC look tired and unkempt. Or, how about the times when the outside walks and entry areas freeze over during the game, and you walk outside and no one has salted.  These are just a few examples of how attention to detail at the ARC falls woefully short too many times.     

swiftmutiny

Quote from: agibson on October 03, 2011, 12:57:47 PM
The video board was up and working at todays Vball game.  I was really impressed.  Lots of graphics, player videos, etc.  Everything you'd expect from a "modern" scoreboard. 

I was there for about the middle 60% of the Butler game.  Some of the video looked pretty slick (mostly I saw the same five second clip over and over).  I'll look forward to seeing the intros sometime.

What I didn't see, but I think was mentioned earlier on this thread, were replays.

Did I just miss them?  I was hoping there might be some e.g. during intermissions between sets.
No, you didn't miss them; there weren't any replays during the Butler game. They tried them in the previous game but they're still working out the kinks. I've heard that they've been practicing with the intramural teams that play in the ARC.

valpospartan

Quote from: agibson on October 03, 2011, 12:57:47 PM

The replays were Friday night.  They weren't instant replays, but rather a montage between games.  Most likely testing the waters is my take.

valpopal

Now that we have the new video boards, I am wondering if there has been a video intro created by marketing for the opening of each game, perhaps something like the Bulls video, though on an obviously more modest scale:

Chicago Bulls Player Intro Animation 2006-Present

vu72

I can see it now!  The skyline of downtown Valparaiso followed by a hundred Crusaders on horseback riding through the streets and crashing through the wall at the ARC!  Can't wait!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

swiftmutiny

Yes, there definitely is one. They showed it off during the Valpo Basketball/Student Dodgeball tournament last weekend, and it was excellent. There's no fancy animations of a Crusader destroying the opponent's bus like in that Bull's video, but I think you'll all be impressed.  :thumbsup:

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2011, 11:20:40 AM
I can see it now!  The skyline of downtown Valparaiso followed by a hundred Crusaders on horseback riding through the streets and crashing through the wall at the ARC!  Can't wait!   ;)

lol - especially "the skyline of downtown Valparaiso."  I'm trying to picture our 4-story (or is it 3?) Courthouse and our 5-story (or is it 4) 5th Third Bank Building providing the perfect backdrop for Crusader dominance about to be unleashed on our enemy...

VUfan

The top of the Chapel, union, Christ college the Library and dorms...