• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ESPN Bubble Watch

Started by valpocleveland, February 02, 2016, 01:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Wichita State with one of the play-ins. Against Vanderbilt. Not looking good for Valpo.

Unexpectedly low seed, I think, for the Shockers.

usc4valpo

again, this has not been a great year for mid major teams.

ValpoDad89

They had no signature wins as well other than Utah, which I would argue Oregon State may have been better. Plus, would Wichita St. or any other bubble teams go into Eugene and lose to a #1 seed by 6 and a game that was competitive throughout. There has to be some consideration given to a mid-major that tries to schedule over their head to improve RPI and SOS and competes. It's really not fair as no highly thought of Mid-Major is going to get a home and home or even a 2 away, one home from schools from major conferences.

ValpoDad89

CBS sure knows how to drag this out and get that commercial $$$. I remember when this was an hour long at best.

agibson

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on March 13, 2016, 05:02:06 PMThey had no signature wins as well other than Utah, which I would argue Oregon State may have been better.

It all seemed to be about gaudy computer numbers, avoiding bad losses, and a good record in a decent MVC. Apparently not as impressive as pundits had assumed. (Baylor a 5... could have been real.)

VU75

A moment of excitement to hear "the Crusaders of" ... and then the crushing "Holy Cross."

VULB#62

Oregon State #7. GB gets a 14  :o. Some love for the HL

usc4valpo

The Pac 12 is getting some love tonight.

VUOR63

Does Valpo's 1-1 record against the Pac 12s 1 and 7 seed get some love too?  About as likely as a full court completion to AP for a layup w 2 seconds left.

rogerwilco

"The Shot" was 18 years ago today.
Maybe March 13th will be kind to us again?

usc4valpo

cripe - playing in the Horizon and facing Oregon and Oregon St. very early in the season does not help

NativeCheesehead

Full Bracket leaked on Twitter

agibson

Per the leaked bracket:

[tweet]709142533364916225[/tweet]

agibson

I'm not 100% following on the interwebs, but was the bracket actually posted to ncaa.com? Or only on twitter? When I check their "official" location now, I only see the partial bracket.

It's correct so far.

No "first four out" leaked, it seems. But Monmouth and St. Mary's out makes it look like an NIT 2 at best for Valpo... and a chance at a 3? A 3 could pull a big conference team in the first round, perhaps.

VUOR63

No NCAA bid means no good reason to play hookie from work

agibson

Little Rock a 12 against Purdue - that would have been a good one too.

Tulsa and Michigan in on the bubble. Awfully weak bubble teams.

VULB#62

Syracuse???  Commentors said the Orange flat out don't deserve it.

rogerwilco

Well, I'm depressed...The best team Valpo has ever had and no NCAA tournament.
It's a cruel world for mid-majors.

oklahomamick

Can't believe Syracuse and Tulsa.  And no mid-majors.
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 13, 2016, 05:57:38 PMAnd no mid-majors.

It was looking bad as soon as they put Wichita State in a play-in...

atkins

Our expectations for this year were too high.  We tailed off second semester for a variety of reasons.  Ultimately, we didn't get it done.

Would be nice to schedule a couple more away games at power conference schools.  Beating a Syracuse would illustrate how well we match up against the power conference teams to which we are compared on days like today.  The excuse of "...but those teams fear us and won't play us" doesn't fly any longer.  These are just challenges to overcome.  Plenty of other Valpoesque schools are able to do so -- e.g., Monmouth.  Come on AD and crew! 

valpopal

As I said a week ago, "LeCrone just spun everything in an interview, saying he was pleased with everything, including the upset of Valpo, because that shows the strength of the league. I hope he feels that way when the Horizon League's only NCAA representative receives a 14 seed." I look forward to his comments explaining now how much the "neutral" court format added, why the HL as a one-bid team because of the poor scheduling and low RPI teams managed to place its 4th place team in the NCAA tourney, and in what way this displays the strength of the conference.

agibson

Is that the official "first four not in?"

St. Bonaventure, South Carolina, Monmouth, Valparaiso?

Valpo a #1 NIT seed?

Close, but no cigar... Wow.

agibson

Head of selection committee invited to talk about Wichita State vs. Valparaiso (and Monmouth?). Only talks about Wichita State.

agibson

Does talk about Monmouth.  Right there in the final discussion.  Three RPI 200+ losses that was the difference.