• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Supporting the Team in Detroit/Joe Louis Arena

Started by HailVU2014, February 22, 2016, 03:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: mb230611 on March 03, 2016, 01:16:12 PMSafe travels to all of the Valpo fans making the trip up here!

I thought this was a neutral tournament. Shouldn't that be "making the trip up there?"  ;)

mb230611

Quote from: bbtds on March 04, 2016, 05:13:47 AM
Quote from: mb230611 on March 03, 2016, 01:16:12 PMSafe travels to all of the Valpo fans making the trip up here!
I thought this was a neutral tournament. Shouldn't that be "making the trip up there?"  ;)
Touche!

valpo84

Did you say live bear and Kampe is going to wrestle it at half time? Now that might beat Red Panda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GnPt3RIIsA
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

Anyone know the status on T. Walker and Skara?
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2016, 08:37:19 AM
Anyone know the status on T. Walker and Skara?
Why do I get the feeling that, because it will force the opponents to game-plan differently, we won't get an answer until game time?

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on March 04, 2016, 08:27:19 AMDid you say live bear and Kampe is going to wrestle it at half time?
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2016, 08:37:19 AMAnyone know the status on T. Walker and Skara?

Rumored that Skara and Walker even if not basketball ready will be permitted to act as corner men for the Kampe- Grizzly bear halftime wrestling event.  :thumbsup:

Wait  ???  Maybe 3 against 1 is a little unfair even though Kampe deserves it.

SanityLost17

Via Twitter:   Neither Skara or Tevonn have practiced this week.  Tevonn still has a very noticeable limp.  Does not sound promising for Monday.   

I am not sure we will win 2 games in 2 days without them.  Nickerson and Jubril will be the only bench players we have that have played significant minutes the last half of the year.

Time for Max to return to the backup point guard?

oklahomamick

Paul Oren ‏tweeted Tevonn Walker was on the court shooting during the portion of practice that was open to the media.

Also tweeted Drew was political when topic of tourney away from Valpo came up: "it's hard probably to please all 10 teams." "It's something new"

I wonder what he really thinks?
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: justducky on March 04, 2016, 11:12:34 AMRumored that Skara and Walker even if not basketball ready will be permitted to act as corner men for the Kampe- Grizzly bear halftime wrestling event. 
Wait! Maybe if we throw Jon LeCrone in that cage instead of Kampe it will be a standing room only sellout! Suddenly I could put together a chartered busload even if Valpo had already been eliminated.  :thumbsup:

covufan

Quote from: justducky on March 04, 2016, 01:52:39 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 04, 2016, 11:12:34 AMRumored that Skara and Walker even if not basketball ready will be permitted to act as corner men for the Kampe- Grizzly bear halftime wrestling event. 
Wait! Maybe if we throw Jon LeCrone in that cage instead of Kampe it will be a standing room only sellout! Suddenly I could put together a chartered busload even if Valpo had already been eliminated.  :thumbsup:
That might get Olympia Entertainment the ticket sales needed to break even!

justducky

Quote from: covufan on March 04, 2016, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 04, 2016, 01:52:39 PM
That might get Olympia Entertainment the ticket sales needed to break even!
Time for LeCrone to earn his money by taking one for the team!

HailVU2014

Breaking News: Horizon League already planning ahead of potential attendance concerns this weekend and has curtained off the TV friendly half of the upper deck. See photo in the Tweet below.

[tweet]705853522638536704[/tweet]

valpopal

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2016, 12:23:57 PM
Paul Oren ‏tweeted Tevonn Walker was on the court shooting during the portion of practice that was open to the media.

Also tweeted Drew was political when topic of tourney away from Valpo came up: "it's hard probably to please all 10 teams." "It's something new"

I wonder what he really thinks?

I had dinner this evening with some other season ticket holders at a half empty restaurant in Valparaiso. Discussion centered around the tournament this weekend in Detroit, and the restaurant manager joined our conversation. Comparing notes, we tried to figure how much has been stolen from Valpo's economy by the Horizon League change of tournament venue, and the estimated numbers were disheartening, especially when considering the absence of business for restaurants, hotels, gas stations, and local stores. It also was noted that potential business from tournament attendees nicely would have filled some of the economic gap left by students out of town for spring break. In addition, talk focused on the lost opportunity of university and community goodwill connection that the tournament presented in past years, as well as the national exposure for Valparaiso University with a filled and loud ARC on ESPN, which additionally could help with recruiting. Some of the comments expressed resentment that the Crusaders had an earned home court advantage taken away, and there was speculation about the possible negative consequence. The season ticket holders, none of whom are traveling to Detroit for various reasons but would have attended all games if the tournament were at the ARC, are not fans of the Horizon League, to put it mildly. In fact, nobody could find a positive point to include, and I can report none of the bluntly stated opinions were as diplomatic as Bryce's quote. 

NativeCheesehead

I actually don't have much of a problem with the tourney moving, but the suddenness and location to which it was moved does feel like a middle finger and/or response to our MVC flirtation. If HL came out last year and said they were moving the tournament to the new arena in Detroit when it opens, and would spend a couple of years building up media exposure and interest, it could be a success.  They lucked out this year by Oakland getting the two seed and (likely) making the championship game. If and combo of Valpo, WSU, and the Wisconsin schools were to be in the championship we'd be in Kemper Arena level emptiness. 

usc4valpo

Valpo needs to get out of the Horizon -- too much imbalance in the conference, and the leadership sucks. At this stage the Valley would be a better fit.

Valpo89

I wouldn't go to a tournament in Detroit unless someone paid for me to get there, for the hotel and for the tickets. And I was able to take off work without taking vacation days.
Not gonna happen. I'll enjoy it on ESPNU and ESPN. Plus, I could care less what happens today.

Donjon VU07

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 05, 2016, 08:13:16 AMI actually don't have much of a problem with the tourney moving, but the suddenness and location to which it was moved does feel like a middle finger and/or response to our MVC flirtation. If HL came out last year and said they were moving the tournament to the new arena in Detroit when it opens, and would spend a couple of years building up media exposure and interest, it could be a success.  They lucked out this year by Oakland getting the two seed and (likely) making the championship game. If and combo of Valpo, WSU, and the Wisconsin schools were to be in the championship we'd be in Kemper Arena level emptiness.

(apologies if this point has been made in the past)
Another gripe I have is that the championship should be on Sunday, not Tuesday. 
I've seen this in the MVC tournament: It's common that if an unexpected team springs an upset in the semis, a legion of fair-weather fans drop what they're doing and travel for the (Sunday) championship. 
This is pretty much impossible with a Tuesday championship; adult fans have jobs, and 7 of 10 HL schools have class (Valpo, NKU and YSU are on spring break).  The result is well-said above: "Kemper Arena-level emptiness."

By the by, I have my Horizon League Tournament bracket filled out.  I'm predicting that an Oakland/Detroit matchup inspires local interest in the tournament. 
Despite team injuries and the weight of the whole city of Detroit against them, Valpo scores on a put-back at the buzzer to beat Oakland 82-80.

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 05, 2016, 09:11:34 AM
Valpo needs to get out of the Horizon -- too much imbalance in the conference, and the leadership sucks. At this stage the Valley would be a better fit.

Sounds good, but for all we know the same 10 teams could be sitting right where they are 10 or 20 years from now. I think we need to be more proactive than just sitting on the sideline hoping someone calls our number. We need to quietly work with 2 or 3 programs that share a common interest and explore the prospects of establishing an elite mid-major conference in the Midwest. Forget about trying to convince programs like DePaul to move down. That will never happen. Think about a footprint that includes Dayton to the east, Belmont and St. Louis to the south, Wichita State to the west, and Milwaukee to the north. Hold the conference tournament in no less than Chicago, get a big TV contract, start competing with 2nd tier majors in the Midwest for talent, and earn multiple bids to the NCAA tournament.

frontrowfan

Quote from: Donjon VU07 on March 05, 2016, 10:49:10 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 05, 2016, 08:13:16 AMI actually don't have much of a problem with the tourney moving, but the suddenness and location to which it was moved does feel like a middle finger and/or response to our MVC flirtation. If HL came out last year and said they were moving the tournament to the new arena in Detroit when it opens, and would spend a couple of years building up media exposure and interest, it could be a success.  They lucked out this year by Oakland getting the two seed and (likely) making the championship game. If and combo of Valpo, WSU, and the Wisconsin schools were to be in the championship we'd be in Kemper Arena level emptiness.

(apologies if this point has been made in the past)
Another gripe I have is that the championship should be on Sunday, not Tuesday. 
I've seen this in the MVC tournament: It's common that if an unexpected team springs an upset in the semis, a legion of fair-weather fans drop what they're doing and travel for the (Sunday) championship. 
This is pretty much impossible with a Tuesday championship; adult fans have jobs, and 7 of 10 HL schools have class (Valpo, NKU and YSU are on spring break).  The result is well-said above: "Kemper Arena-level emptiness."

By the by, I have my Horizon League Tournament bracket filled out.  I'm predicting that an Oakland/Detroit matchup inspires local interest in the tournament. 
Despite team injuries and the weight of the whole city of Detroit against them, Valpo scores on a put-back at the buzzer to beat Oakland 82-80.
ok here at the Joe Lewis and as much as I wanted to host the tournament semis and finals, I have to say the amenities are pretty awesome

valpo64

agibson

Quote from: HailVU2014 on March 04, 2016, 05:53:14 PMBreaking News: Horizon League already planning ahead of potential attendance concerns this weekend and has curtained off the TV friendly half of the upper deck. See photo in the Tweet below.

Yeah, not sure why they put it on that side. I'm sure the cameras will stay away from it, but a bit strange.

It was advertised in advance, at least earlier this week.

agibson

Quote from: frontrowfan on March 05, 2016, 11:13:55 AMok here at the Joe Lewis and as much as I wanted to host the tournament semis and finals, I have to say the amenities are pretty awesome

Details? I wasn't so impressed by UIC...

a3uge

I just don't understand why the Horizon switched THIS year. I don't understand why NKU joined THIS year. The league was incredibly short-sighted and completely sold their best program out. They knew NKU wasn't eligible yet and would be a big RPI drain this year. They knew Valpo returned pretty much their whole team and would have a great chance at winning a tournament game - better than any team in the near future. They knew they wouldn't be able to switch the TV contract and move the games to Sunday THIS year. It's just amazing how much this conference regressed, despite having a massive cash flow from Butler's back to back finals run. What the heck did they do with that money?

But a new mid major conference isn't going to magically spawn out of nowhere. We're not going to the A10, ever. We may get an MVC invite if Wichita State bolts, or they decide to add 2 teams, but I really doubt it. For the foreseeable future, we're going to be in the Horizon - there's no quick fix available.

VULB#62

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 05, 2016, 08:13:16 AM
I actually don't have much of a problem with the tourney moving, but the suddenness and location to which it was moved does feel like a middle finger and/or response to our MVC flirtation. If HL came out last year and said they were moving the tournament to the new arena in Detroit when it opens, and would spend a couple of years building up media exposure and interest, it could be a success.  They lucked out this year by Oakland getting the two seed and (likely) making the championship game. If and combo of Valpo, WSU, and the Wisconsin schools were to be in the championship we'd be in Kemper Arena level emptiness.

I wholeheartedly agree with the suddenness point. And to a degree with the Detroit location.  It was like it was sprung on the the rest of the league and it happened less than a year after last year's final. Major moves like this should have a transition period that allows schools and fans to adjust. I am not stubbornly against a centrally located neutral site for the HLT, but to suddenly hang a 90 degree turn with out putting your turn signal on is not good form. So to me it is more about the flawed process -- which points to leadership (or lack thereof). Why didn't the league announce in advance it wanted to go to a neutral site - shouldn't all members first have a say in that decision?  Why weren't other arenas and locations solicited to compete for the rights?  Why was this done under the cover of darkness?  Was someone paid off? It's a done deal now but these are questions that have not really been answered other than the opportunity arose (out of nowhere) and we jumped at it -- like what other conference would have slid in before the HL?

crusaderjoe

Quote from: wh on March 05, 2016, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 05, 2016, 09:11:34 AM

Sounds good, but for all we know the same 10 teams could be sitting right where they are 10 or 20 years from now. I think we need to be more proactive than just sitting on the sideline hoping someone calls our number. We need to quietly work with 2 or 3 programs that share a common interest and explore the prospects of establishing an elite mid-major conference in the Midwest. Forget about trying to convince programs like DePaul to move down. That will never happen. Think about a footprint that includes Dayton to the east, Belmont and St. Louis to the south, Wichita State to the west, and Milwaukee to the north. Hold the conference tournament in no less than Chicago, get a big TV contract, start competing with 2nd tier majors in the Midwest for talent, and earn multiple bids to the NCAA tournament.

Good idea, but doubtful that this ever takes place.  You would need simultaneous movement from at least four other conferences to do so.  The only possibility of what you described occurring IMO would be if the MVFC football schools all moved en masse to FBS, and then bits and pieces of a private/public mix somehow came together from other conferences with what is left of the remainder of the MVC.  With WAC football dead and buried, and unless the NCAA changes their rules on teams moving up to FBS from FCS, Elvis has left the building on that one.

You want a quick path out of the HL and to the MVC without major conference realignment right now?  No problem.  Somehow convince both the MVC and New Mexico State to make a move together so that the MVC takes NMSU for their oly sports, then hope that the MVC moves to 12 with eastern and western divisions, and then pray that Valpo is team #12. With Chicago State's issues, there may be a need for NMSU to gain stability somewhere else, considering too that they will likely be an FBS Indy in 2018.  So go ahead and start making the calls to Las Cruces.

Now let's get back to watching the HL tournament.