• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Nevada wouldn't appreciate him the way Valpo would. He'd be cast aside for the next great transfer. I really hope we get him.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 31, 2018, 09:46:43 AM
Nevada wouldn't appreciate him the way Valpo would. He'd be cast aside for the next great transfer. I really hope we get him.

I just took a look at ISUr's roster and they'd have 4 PFs by the time he's a freshman and 1 SF (Matt Chastain which would be a JR). For us we'd have 1 PF (Mileek would be a JR) and 2 SF (two senior SF in Fazekas and Kiser). I think we're a better fit in terms of roster construction for him. VC lists Chris Payton as a SF and every other site lists him as a PF. I kind of view him as a tweener. If playing time is a big concern for him I'd think his FR year he'd get some minutes but his Sophomore year he'd get the opportunity probably play some very significant minutes.

VU2014

Someone is going to get a steal in this kid. If he was a couple inches taller he'd have a handful of D1 offers already. According to VC his only offer is from Flagler which is coached by former VU special assistant Chad Warner. He plays for Marquette Catholic. He'd be an ideal candidate for a prefer walk-on like John Kiser, but I think someone is going to give him a full scholarship to play hoops.

https://twitter.com/bopat10/status/1035259236224253952

VU2014

Chris Payton just received a offer from Murray State. I think the MVC is MUCH more attractive league than the OVC but you never know what makes a kid pick one school over another. Murray beat us out for a JUCO PF recruit Mike Davis in the spring.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 31, 2018, 07:49:16 PM
Chris Payton just received a offer from Murray State. I think the MVC is MUCH more attractive league than the OVC but you never know what makes a kid pick one school over another. Murray beat us out for a JUCO PF recruit Mike Davis in the spring.

Sure hope we have other options for a crucial position (Forward).

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 31, 2018, 08:19:05 PM

Sure hope we have other options for a crucial position (Forward).

I'm sure the Coaching Staffs have a plan B and C. I think Chris Payton is the only remaining realistic recruit we have a shot of landing. Maybe we go red-shirt transfer or maybe there is a unknown HS kidding we could land late in the process. From his previous interviews he mention he'd like to commit sometime in the Fall. I wouldn't want to roll that scholarship into the next class to make that 2020 class even larger.

VUGrad1314

Fingers crossed for an Akot transfer if we can't land Payton.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on August 31, 2018, 07:49:16 PMChris Payton just received a offer from Murray State. I think the MVC is MUCH more attractive league than the OVC but you never know what makes a kid pick one school over another. Murray beat us out for a JUCO PF recruit Mike Davis in the spring.

Still think Murray State is going to be in the MVC sooner rather than later.

wh

Payton becomes Murray State's 23rd 2019 offer, of which 12 players are between 6-6 and 6-8.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 01, 2018, 12:02:42 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 31, 2018, 07:49:16 PMChris Payton just received a offer from Murray State. I think the MVC is MUCH more attractive league than the OVC but you never know what makes a kid pick one school over another. Murray beat us out for a JUCO PF recruit Mike Davis in the spring.

Still think Murray State is going to be in the MVC sooner rather than later.

He's only going to be in school for 4 years. They might not get an invite for years, if ever. The MVC commish really tried to tamp down expansion talk back during Arch Madness. It doesn't sound like it will happen in the near term future, unless P5 expansion forces them to act and someone like SLU falls in their lap. I doubt that would be part of Murray's recruiting pitch.

If he plays in the MVC his family will be able to travel to most of his college games.

VUBBFan

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on September 01, 2018, 08:42:30 PM
New Offer. 6'10" PF from Wisc.

https://twitter.com/dskogman42/status/1035984193719816192

Nice find!

Could he be plan B? Or plan A? Or whoever commits first gets that last scholarship.

IrishDawg

As a league, certainly, but he's picking a school which carries a lot of factors (location, academics, facilities, team's tradition, style of play, playing time, etc.).  An offer doesn't necessarily mean there's mutual interest, but the Racers have a good program and a nice arena (attendance isn't great).  The MVC would be better in terms of family travel, but some kids like to get out of their immediate neighborhood, and it's not like the OVC's footprint is on one of the coasts.

If he sets up a visit with them, then yeah, get more worried, but at this point it's just an offer from a school with a serious amount of PT available at the wing forward.

VU2014

VU2014

VU2014

Some more info on David Skogman. He's a fast riser and has  catapulted himself into a Top 3 prospect from the Wisconsin Class of 2019. It sounds like he had all the tools but really put it together this summer. Prep hoops Wisconsin considers him one of the highest upside mid-major caliber prospects in the nation.

I'd be interested if we could play him at C eventually. The twin towers only hav 2 more seasons of eligibility and maybe he could be the big man of the future. He moves really well for a guy with his length and he has some nice bounce.

Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 200
Hometown: Waukesha, WI
High School: Waukesha West High School

Offers: Valpo, Elon Canisius, South Dakota, Sam Houston, Rice, Air Force, LIU Brooklyn, Green Bay, Furman, Lafayette, American, Bucknell, Milwaukee

Quote from: VUBBFan on September 01, 2018, 08:42:30 PM
https://twitter.com/dskogman42/status/1035984193719816192

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/08/five-teams-who-will-make-a-big-jump-in-2018-19-waukesha-west/

Leading the charge is senior forward David Skogman. The 6-foot-10 big man has racked up  Division 1 offers over the summer, going from a raw, high-upside talent, to one of the top 3-4 prospects in the state of Wisconsin.

"He's gotten better every year," LaValle said. "It's really a testament to putting in the time, energy, effort, and commitment to the sport.

"He's such a mismatch for defenses — he's a matchup nightmare. He can play down in the post, pass out of the post,   he can step out and shoot the 3-pointer from 23-feet if he has to. We can utilize him in ball screens and make defenses make decisions.

"He's going to be a huge asset for us this year and I think he's very hungry. I think he's going to have an amazing year for us."

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/07/las-vegas-day-2-standouts/

David Skogman – 2019 – F/C – Ray Allen Select

Schools continues to fall in love with Skogman, who added two more Division 1 offers on Thursday. The 6-foot-10 center showed some flashes against Grand Rapids Storm. An athletic, bouncy forward, Skogman has great springs. He can get up off the floor and run in transition like a deer. The back-to-the-basket game is and will be a work in progress at the next level, but Skogman shot it well from 3-point range and continues to improve his ball handling on the perimeter. One of the highest-upside prospects at the mid-major level nationally, Skogman should continues to see offers come his way this week.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4016

(5) David Skogman – 2019 – F/C – Waukesha West (WI)

Keep this name in mind because he's in line potentially for a huge 8-12 months on the hardwood.  Equipped with a plus length 6-10 frame and an ability to face up and stroke the jumper, Skogman is a skilled big man who's just starting to find his groove on the hardwood.  He's a legitimate mid-major Division 1 prospect at worst long term and his best years lie ahead.  As his physical tools and skill package continues to develop look for him to continue to take big strides forward.  Best kept secret in the class in the state of Wisconsin right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1Pk9n_s8s

Quote from: VU2014 on September 02, 2018, 07:51:06 PM
It sounds like Skogman took an unofficial visit.

https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/1036412530359451648

VU2014

Valpo is out of Alex Hemenway's recruitment. The only 2 public current outstanding offers we know of are Chris Payton and David Skogman.

https://twitter.com/EngGordon/status/1036750985501319168

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 03, 2018, 06:05:11 PM
Valpo is out of Alex Hemenway's recruitment. The only 2 public current outstanding offers we know of are Chris Payton and David Skogman.

I think many of us were surprised he was still considering VU before this announcement.  His trail went cold long ago, no?

Thanks for sharing.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 03, 2018, 06:20:34 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 03, 2018, 06:05:11 PM

I think many of us were surprised he was still considering VU before this announcement.  His trail went cold long ago, no?

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah it sounds like we've been out for a while, but it's official now. Once Eron Gordon and Nick Robinson committed it probably sealed the deal. Losing Coach Ragland (primary recruiter) was probably another factor.

valpopal

Honestly, if we currently have only one scholarship opening for 2019, I'd rather it be used for a forward, preferably a power forward.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on September 03, 2018, 07:28:05 PM
Honestly, if we currently have only one scholarship opening for 2019, I'd rather it be used for a forward, preferably a power forward.

I do wonder some times about the value of being in The Valley versus, say, the Horizon.  I understand the interest in playing at a high level but Belmont?  The reason may well be the ability to get to the dance via the easier path in the OVC.  But we have lost out to Belmont in the past.  Just wondering... ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

:thumbsup: Someone that can rebound!!!

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on September 03, 2018, 07:32:42 PM

I do wonder some times about the value of being in The Valley versus, say, the Horizon.  I understand the interest in playing at a high level but Belmont?  The reason may well be the ability to get to the dance via the easier path in the OVC.  But we have lost out to Belmont in the past.  Just wondering... ???

Rick Byrd is a HOF coach and I think I remember hearing that their staff has a Evansville area recruiting tie.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on September 03, 2018, 08:06:26 PM
Rick Byrd is a HOF coach and I think I remember hearing that their staff has a Evansville area recruiting tie.

Not sure which coach you're talking about, but Belmont has done a great job recently in recruiting Indiana kids.