• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #6 - Drake

Started by VULB#62, October 01, 2016, 06:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Switched the message Icon to Game Thread.   If I were the players I'd be pretty pissed letting this one get away from them.  Channel that energy into a better 60 minute effort on Saturday!

VULB#62

Stats from Saturday's Dayton 35 - Drake 10 game:

Game Stats       DU   UD
First Downs        21   21
Total Off Yds      357   449
Passing Yards      247   126
Rushing Yards      110   323
Penalty Yards      6-70   1-5
3rd Downs           8-19     7-11
4th Downs            2-5        1-1
Time Of Possession   30:54   29:06

Dayton built a 28-3 lead at the 7:14 mark of Q3, gave up a score, then closed out the scoring with a TD at 13:54 of Q4.

From the Drake write-up:

"The Flyers, who averaged just over a 100 yards rushing going into the game, racked up 323 rushing yard. Tucker Yinger led the Dayton ground game with 172 yards on 21 carries. Alex Jeske completed just 7-of-15 for 126 yards, but rushed for 92 yards with two touchdowns.

Drake's Grant Kraemer threw for 247 yards and completed 22-of-40 passes. Eric Saubert was Kraemer's top target as he recorded a game-high 96 receiving yard on nine receptions."

usc4valpo

Drake is down this year. Valpo should know what they need to do to win this game.

covufan

We hold the lead this week:

Valpo     33
Drake     27

VULB#62

Here's the Drake preview interview:

According to Coach Cecchini, Drake is bigger and stronger than MSU and also bigger than us.  He mentions that they like to shut down the run with their size and by having at least 7 in the box.  That did not produce the results they wanted vs. Dayton (UD ran for 323 yards on Saturday). So two things to consider:  (1) They will be ticked that they played the run so poorly and will want to atone and (2) Jarrett has had 3 100 yard games in a row so they will key on him.  Our passing game has to be consistent enough to force them to honor it and then, hopefully, lit will loosen things up on the LOS to spring Jarrett lose a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdX_-vpmZs

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 03, 2016, 04:00:37 PMHere's the Drake preview interview: According to Coach Cecchini, Drake is bigger and stronger than MSU and also bigger than us.  He mentions that they like to both up the run with their size and by having at least 7 in the box.  That did not produce the results they wanted vs. Dayton (UD ran for 323 yards on Saturday). So two things to consider:  (1) They will be ticked that they played the run so poo=rly and will want to atone and (2) Jarrett has had 3 100 yard games in a row so they will key on him.  Our passing game has to be consistent enough to force them to honor it and then, hopefully, lit will loosen things up on the LOS to spring Jarrett lose a few times. 

Tend to agree. Short passing game has to show up. This worries me.

usc4valpo

Start Seewald and all your worries will go away.

VU2624

Lucky the Stetson game isn't this weekend or there wouldn't be a Stetson game. Campbell at Jacksonville has been postponed. Both campuses are effectively shut down. In Jacksonville's case, let's hope....along with everyone's safety....that their nice little facility remains intact.

VU2624

Will have trouble running the ball and need to rely on short passing game. I'm not confident in the success of that strategy with current situation. Defense will be on the field the whole game.

I worry about residual of losing a very winable game last week which includes team's confidence and team's confidence in decisions made by coaching staff. I'm very concerned about a non competitive effort unless some of those issues have been or are dealt with quickly.

At this point knowing what I know and I hope I'm wrong:

Drake 34
Valpo 13

usc4valpo

Defense needs help.

C'mon Valpo, Drake sucks this year, this should be a win.

VU2624

What is wrong with this staff? They have a QB who's not particularly accurate or mobile under the best of circumstances and now has an ankle injury and they can't figure out maybe another option would be the best choice.

usc4valpo

The chips are down and Seewald will be stepping in

VU2624

Just a pathetic defensive effort. Much like the offense, can't depend on the occasional big play to dig you out of a hole.

Vinny

On one hand, it's good to see that we aren't losing by 40 points on a consistent basis anymore. On the other, the losses still keep piling up. It's really really hard to be a fan of this losing program.

usc4valpo

Strange as this sounds, this program is improving.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 08, 2016, 10:40:57 PM
Strange as this sounds, this program is improving.

I agree, clearly we are improving. 

Here are some stats:

This year:

Opponents average score through 6 games  33.3
Our scoring through 6 games:                     24.5
Average margin of 6 games                          8.8

Last year's opponent average score thru 6    43.2
Our scoring thru 6 (no college of faith)         13.7
Average margin of 6 games                         29.5

What I saw yesterday were a couple of freshman mistakes by Jimmy and a defense that is much improved but still lacking depth.  They looked totally gassed at the end of the game and their last TD was run through at least two arm tackles.  We have 4 or 5 D linemen and we need 6 or 7.

Still, I like the attitude expressed in the presser.  They will again be competitive next week.

For what it is worth, I looked at the Drake roster.  They list 18 seniors and an incredible 10 fifth year seniors.  We, on the other hand, list 3 seniors, one of whom is out for the year (JJ Nunes) and 1 fifth year senior.  By the end of the day, this difference was very apparent.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Improving yes. It's also a team which should be 3-0 in league play.

I'll leave the moral victories to others.

usc4valpo

2624 -

They are improving, but there is still too much room for improvement. The score did not indicate the outcome as Drake should have won by more. Defensively, the line needs serious help.