• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Some Faculty Members are trying to get rid of the Crusader & Change the Mascot..

Started by VU2014, March 28, 2017, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of changing the Valparaiso University Mascot?

No
Yes
I have no opinion either way

valpotx

Unfortunately, this means that I will probably stop giving to the university going forward.  No final decision, but in the near future, I am not happy with this move, and won't give my usual February donation with company match.  Especially including the far left Student Body President, as if it is some type of huge win for her, it does not align with my viewpoints.  I do not support the over sensationalism that this 'woke' culture is giving to words that really have no contentious meaning.  Just because one hate group has been utilizing a word, doesn't mean that we should immediately react, and let them own that word.  As others have said, you can be a Crusader for justice, or various other positive aspects.  Very disappointing.
"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

I, on the other hand, favored the change. In terms of process, the deliberations went through both the faculty and student governance bodies, and it appears that all stakeholder opinions were taken into account. In terms of substance, I think we can do better in light of concerns expressed.

Had the decision gone the other way, I would've been unhappy but not deeply angry about it. I have become a regular donor to VU in recent years, including a pledge and bequest to fund a modest scholarship as part of the Forever Valpo campaign, and that commitment would've remained intact regardless. I hope that folks won't yank their support for the University and its students because the mascot is being renamed.

Hopefully the new team name will resonate and have some pep in its step. And hopefully that will be joined by some great seasons from the VU basketball and football teams, among others.

valpotx

As mentioned on the other thread, it isn't just about renaming the mascot.  It is the public demonstration of political leaning, based on the messaging that went along with the announcement. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo2022

Why not keep the name Crusaders, and retire the mascot? Follow the lead of another institution, the College of the Holy Cross, which has successfully navigated these same waters by choosing to accept their own definition of what it means to be a "Crusader" and not accept definitions of the past and/or ones dictated by outside "hate groups" which do not represent Valpo and its many stakeholders. See the post below copied from the Holy Cross website.

From: Rev. Philip L. Boroughs, S.J., President of the College
To: Alumni, Students, Faculty and Staff
March 14, 2018

Dear Members of the College Community,

Several weeks ago, our Board of Trustees completed a period of discussion and discernment and, based on thoughtful input from many of you, chose to reaffirm our identity as Crusaders. But our work was not done. At the same time, the Board tasked our administration with assessing all visual representations of the Crusader, to ensure they align with our definition of what it means to be a Holy Cross Crusader. That definition is based on a contemporary understanding of the term, which suggests a noble effort to support a cause, to right a wrong or to make a difference.

As we discussed as a community the appropriateness of our use of the Crusader moniker and mascot, several themes emerged. We are Holy Cross Crusaders for:

The importance of the intellectual life, critical thinking and reflective learning.
The Jesuit and Catholic intellectual and spiritual traditions.
The dialogue between faith and reason.
The common good, human rights, social justice and care for the environment.
Human life.
Interreligious understanding and dialogue.
Inclusivity and respect for different cultures, perspectives and identities.
Honesty, equality, fairness and freedom of speech.
Health of mind, body and spirit.

Since the founding of the College, our students, faculty, staff, and alumni have embodied these ideals. Our students spend their spring breaks working with the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Nicaragua, Bolivia and Appalachia and recent grads generously join the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, Teach for America and the Peace Corps. Our alumni become teachers, doctors, researchers, government officials, religious and priests, and advocates for the transformation of society through education, social service and business. These are just a few examples of what it means to be a Crusader today.

Upon reflection on this contemporary definition, it is clear that our current visual representations of the Crusader do not align with this understanding. For some, knight imagery alone could convey nobility, chivalry and bravery. However, the visual depiction of a knight, in conjunction with the moniker Crusader, inevitably ties us directly to the reality of the religious wars and the violence of the Crusades. This imagery stands in contrast to our stated values.

Over the coming months, the College will gradually phase out the use of all knight-related imagery. Moving forward, the College will use the interlocking HC on a purple shield, currently the secondary athletics logo, as the primary marker for all athletic teams, uniforms and advertising. This also means we will retire our costumed mascot. I understand these decisions will be a disappointment to some of you but I trust our community's support for Holy Cross and for our athletic teams will continue unwaveringly.

I want to thank all of you who have participated in this discussion about our identity. These conversations aren't easy, but they are necessary. I am hopeful we have emerged with an even stronger sense of who we are and what we stand for, and that you all remain as proud as I am to be a part of the Holy Cross community.

Sincerely,

Rev. Philip L. Boroughs, S.J.
President

David81

Quote from: Valpo2022 on February 12, 2021, 07:25:41 AM
Why not keep the name Crusaders, and retire the mascot? Follow the lead of another institution, the College of the Holy Cross, which has successfully navigated these same waters by choosing to accept their own definition of what it means to be a "Crusader" and not accept definitions of the past and/or ones dictated by outside "hate groups" which do not represent Valpo and its many stakeholders. See the post below copied from the Holy Cross website.

I think that would've been a reasonable explanation as well, but practically speaking, retiring the imagery while retaining the name makes for an odd marketing dilemma. What do you put on those t-shirts and hoodies!? Plus, I think VU's decision was more honest, making a call -- as a Christian university -- on whether a symbol associated with it was historically problematic.

As an alum, I did not consider myself a, ummmmm, crusader on this issue. (Yup, I've used the term plenty of times in that context!) But I think it was a courageous decision on a modest yet meaningful matter, knowing there would be blowback and criticism.

FWIW, I don't think this will negatively affect student recruiting, the school's overall standing, and various metrics used to evaluate universities. I see it as a bit of a correction by a Christian university that also wants to be more associated with values of inclusion. VU's core values and "brand" remain, shields & armor or not.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on January 12, 2021, 06:33:18 PM
Have others received an email from the university sent to the Valpo community with a survey to complete about calls for removing the Crusader mascot and nickname? The survey certainly exhibits a lack of objectivity or neutrality. Given the introduction to the survey and the wording or options in some of the questions, it clearly appears the intent is to dispose of the Crusader. For example, one question asks if you consider yourself "a Valpo person" or "a Crusader"; however, you cannot be both.

As noted at the time of the survey, it was deceptively designed to obtain a specific end, forcing respondents to choose between "a Valpo person" or "a Crusader," but not allowing both. Apparently, the Chicago Tribune has seen some results of the survey, and the leaked information is that the push poll questions got the results VU wanted: "Neither the email nor a university press release on the decision discloses whether the task force produced a report on its findings and recommendations, or whether Valparaiso will publish the 7,700 survey responses in some form. Its website does not bring up such materials in a search for 'crusader task force.' The Chicago Tribune has apparently seen at least some survey results, reporting that more than 80 percent of responses 'identified Valparaiso as the university's dominant brand,' with the Crusader drawing only 2.5 percent." https://www.thecollegefix.com/christian-university-ditches-crusader-mascot-because-of-association-with-hate-groups/

David81

Quote from: valpopal on February 12, 2021, 09:41:40 AM
Have others received an email from the university sent to the Valpo community with a survey to complete about calls for removing the Crusader mascot and nickname? The survey certainly exhibits a lack of objectivity or neutrality. Given the introduction to the survey and the wording or options in some of the questions, it clearly appears the intent is to dispose of the Crusader. For example, one question asks if you consider yourself "a Valpo person" or "a Crusader"; however, you cannot be both.

As noted at the time of the survey, it was deceptively designed to obtain a specific end, forcing respondents to choose between "a Valpo person" or "a Crusader," but not allowing both. Apparently, the Chicago Tribune has seen some results of the survey, and the leaked information is that the push poll questions got the results VU wanted: "Neither the email nor a university press release on the decision discloses whether the task force produced a report on its findings and recommendations, or whether Valparaiso will publish the 7,700 survey responses in some form. Its website does not bring up such materials in a search for 'crusader task force.' The Chicago Tribune has apparently seen at least some survey results, reporting that more than 80 percent of responses 'identified Valparaiso as the university's dominant brand,' with the Crusader drawing only 2.5 percent." https://www.thecollegefix.com/christian-university-ditches-crusader-mascot-because-of-association-with-hate-groups/

I agree that the survey choices could have offered multiple ticks. I've seen no shortage of surveys like this in higher ed, that appear to be prompting a result. It's a fair criticism.

That said: (1) the student and alumni/ae attachment to the Crusader mascot is not very strong, not even remotely like -- say -- the Fighting Irish. I have several pieces of Valpo gear, and the key visuals are the school colors and the Valpo name. (2) I'd guess that most sports fans familiar with Valpo identify us with "Valpo" and little else. Many can't even spell Valparaiso. And hardly anyone is going to hear "Valpo" and think "oh, the Crusaders."

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on February 12, 2021, 09:41:40 AM

Agree completely.  When given only two choices, the vast majority of folks would say that they identify with the actual name of their school.  If it had been worded as whether alumni would support a mascot change due to societal pressures, that is a completely different survey question.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

I can live with a different mascot or just having none.  It's not a deal breaker for me.

Like so many others, I only find this mascot issue's timing irritating because it comes in the context of much more bigger problems of finance. And of course it emphasizes the long relentless desire to blend into the ldense forrest of declining liberal arts colleges. 

Perhaps the mascot name change is a cleverly timed "shiny object" to release publicly while the disastrous financial mess is being addressed. If so, it's pretty shrewd, but I'm not taking the bait. The central strategic issue is enrollment. Is an enhanced statement of wokeness a path to enrollment increases? Maybe. Not sure.

valpo64

David81

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 12, 2021, 01:23:31 PM
I can live with a different mascot or just having none.  It's not a deal breaker for me.

Like so many others, I only find this mascot issue's timing irritating because it comes in the context of much more bigger problems of finance. And of course it emphasizes the long relentless desire to blend into the ldense forrest of declining liberal arts colleges. 

Perhaps the mascot name change is a cleverly timed "shiny object" to release publicly while the disastrous financial mess is being addressed. If so, it's pretty shrewd, but I'm not taking the bait. The central strategic issue is enrollment. Is an enhanced statement of wokeness a path to enrollment increases? Maybe. Not sure.

I'd be surprised if there was any clever strategic objective. For a school like VU, which must play to so many stakeholders spanning the religious, social, and political spectrum, while holding true to a faith identity and core constituency with moderate-to-conservative optics, this was something of a no-win dilemma. In fact, I give Interim President Irwin-Knott a lot of credit for taking one for the team, making a call on this now, rather than tossing it on the lap of incoming President Padilla.

For those who are angered by this decision as evidencing an institutional embrace of a left-leaning spirit of wokeness and political correctness, I'd ask that you pan the camera back and look at the U.S. higher ed landscape. Valpo is not an Oberlin, Grinnell, Macalester, or Wisconsin-Madison. The name change will not suddenly unleash a cadre of left-leaning high school seniors applying to VU and overwhelming the entering class. Against this broader higher ed canvas, Valpo remains a pretty traditional place. No one who shows up for a campus visit and sees the Chapel of the Resurrection is going to think otherwise.

But I respectfully submit that, for a long time, VU has had hard work to do to become a more inclusive place in image and in substance. I think it has made enormous progress on that since my days there (1977-81), and I am appreciative of the mascot change as a modest sign of that. In order to survive and thrive, VU has to walk a tightrope of embracing its Lutheran and more conservative core, while making more room for those of other beliefs and lifestyles. As a person of color (Asian American) and holder of old fashioned liberal politics, I do not expect nor ask VU to turn into a Macalester or a Madison. But a more inclusive version of Valpo is good for everyone.

valpotx

Quote from: David81 on February 13, 2021, 12:27:32 PM

I'd be surprised if there was any clever strategic objective. For a school like VU, which must play to so many stakeholders spanning the religious, social, and political spectrum, while holding true to a faith identity and core constituency with moderate-to-conservative optics, this was something of a no-win dilemma. In fact, I give Interim President Irwin-Knott a lot of credit for taking one for the team, making a call on this now, rather than tossing it on the lap of incoming President Padilla.

For those who are angered by this decision as evidencing an institutional embrace of a left-leaning spirit of wokeness and political correctness, I'd ask that you pan the camera back and look at the U.S. higher ed landscape. Valpo is not an Oberlin, Grinnell, Macalester, or Wisconsin-Madison. The name change will not suddenly unleash a cadre of left-leaning high school seniors applying to VU and overwhelming the entering class. Against this broader higher ed canvas, Valpo remains a pretty traditional place. No one who shows up for a campus visit and sees the Chapel of the Resurrection is going to think otherwise.

But I respectfully submit that, for a long time, VU has had hard work to do to become a more inclusive place in image and in substance. I think it has made enormous progress on that since my days there (1977-81), and I am appreciative of the mascot change as a modest sign of that. In order to survive and thrive, VU has to walk a tightrope of embracing its Lutheran and more conservative core, while making more room for those of other beliefs and lifestyles. As a person of color (Asian American) and holder of old fashioned liberal politics, I do not expect nor ask VU to turn into a Macalester or a Madison. But a more inclusive version of Valpo is good for everyone.

Can you not see that giving video time to a very much far left/political activist Student Body President, would give the optics to those of us in the moderate-to-conservative crowd, that the university is publicly taking a more leftist approach going forward?  The current Student Body President is inconsequential when it comes to such a decision that affects such a long history of Valpo alumni, regardless of who that individual might have been.  If they just wanted to confirm student support, it could have been a simple sentence in the news announcement that the SBP is supportive of this change, versus providing a leftist platform that the term 'Crusader' is offensive, etc.  Instead, they gave prominent air time to someone that publicly doxed a fellow student last year, just for liking a Facebook/Twitter post that called BLM a terrorist organization, and determined on her own that was a racist thing for that named individual to 'like.'  You correctly pointed out that Valpo has traditionally been a moderate-to-conservative university in alumni/the public's eyes.  As I've said, I will continue to watch the news pushed out by the new Valpo administration, to see if it matches a Loyola (IL), Oberlin, etc.  You need to keep in mind that I am a moderate conservative nowadays, who is married to a Liberal, so the even more conservative alumni are even more upset by this stance. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on February 13, 2021, 01:47:09 PM
Can you not see that giving video time to a very much far left/political activist Student Body President, would give the optics to those of us in the moderate-to-conservative crowd, that the university is publicly taking a more leftist approach going forward?  The current Student Body President is inconsequential when it comes to such a decision that affects such a long history of Valpo alumni, regardless of who that individual might have been.  If they just wanted to confirm student support, it could have been a simple sentence in the news announcement that the SBP is supportive of this change, versus providing a leftist platform that the term 'Crusader' is offensive, etc.  Instead, they gave prominent air time to someone that publicly doxed a fellow student last year, just for liking a Facebook/Twitter post that called BLM a terrorist organization, and determined on her own that was a racist thing for that named individual to 'like.' 

One could make the case that the terrible video itself was a form of doxxing, targeting many fans and alums, including some on this list. By emphasizing the Crusader as a negative image that is associated with hate groups, racism, and particularly the KKK (and not acknowledging the proud legacy of the Valpo Crusader), the message in the video (not-so) subtly indicates that Valpo fans and alumni who continue to wear their VU gear with the Crusader image should be singled out for shame as unenlightened, maybe even racist, and most likely will not be welcome at future VU activities, including sporting events, just as the word "crusader" has been canceled, now banned from use and is being scrubbed in places where it has appeared in the past. The handling of this issue, including in the optics and poorly written language of the video, displays again that the damage to relations with fans and alumni goes beyond a mere changing of the mascot.

David81

Quote from: valpotx on February 13, 2021, 01:47:09 PM
Quote from: David81 on February 13, 2021, 12:27:32 PM

Can you not see that giving video time to a very much far left/political activist Student Body President, would give the optics to those of us in the moderate-to-conservative crowd, that the university is publicly taking a more leftist approach going forward?  The current Student Body President is inconsequential when it comes to such a decision that affects such a long history of Valpo alumni, regardless of who that individual might have been.  If they just wanted to confirm student support, it could have been a simple sentence in the news announcement that the SBP is supportive of this change, versus providing a leftist platform that the term 'Crusader' is offensive, etc.  Instead, they gave prominent air time to someone that publicly doxed a fellow student last year, just for liking a Facebook/Twitter post that called BLM a terrorist organization, and determined on her own that was a racist thing for that named individual to 'like.'  You correctly pointed out that Valpo has traditionally been a moderate-to-conservative university in alumni/the public's eyes.  As I've said, I will continue to watch the news pushed out by the new Valpo administration, to see if it matches a Loyola (IL), Oberlin, etc.  You need to keep in mind that I am a moderate conservative nowadays, who is married to a Liberal, so the even more conservative alumni are even more upset by this stance. 

The student senate supported the proposal to retire the mascot. It only makes sense that the student senate president would help to announce the decision. And given the VU student body's moderate-to-conservative lean, either the vote is a fair reflection of student leaders' beliefs, or the conservative kids opted not to vote or run for office. (Back in my day, the student senate was hardly a left cell -- quite the opposite -- and I speak as someone who was a nominal Republican for most of my VU years and a student senator to boot. So maybe things have changed????)

I admit that although I am a big sports fan (the original and continuing main reason for following this board), I do not cling to college team nicknames in a way that would trigger my outrage if one was changed for social reasons. I identify with "Valpo" but not "Crusader." I went to law school at New York University and became a fan of its revived DIII basketball team, but I never gravitated to the "Violets." (Yup....at least they didn't try to add "Fighting" to that....) I do think it's fair to suggest that much of the deeper anger is coming not from some deep, abiding love of the Crusader imagery, but rather because the change was sparked by concerns that it was hurtful or offensive to those of certain groups. I would be happier if the former and not the latter was the case.

78crusader

While Irwin-Knott may have "taken one for the team" by announcing the name change decision under her "interim" watch, this decision would not have been made without the blessing of new President Padilla. He will be the one who takes most of the heat for this.  For him to support this decision at the outset of his administration, with our university - and many of our peer institutions - facing more serious issues, is mystifying, not to mention very divisive.

I no longer fully trust the Board or the upper echelons of the University to make wise decisions or exercise good judgment. The last 4 years have seen several poor decisions followed by one negative headline after another, with the closing of the law school - an ongoing PR disaster if ever there was one - leading the way.

All of this is, of course, a shame since there are many, many fine people who work for this university, including a very dedicated faculty and support staff.

Perhaps President Padilla will reverse this trend and provide wise and common sense leadership. We all had better hope so.

Paul

sfnmman

I can't understand why some commenters in this forum take such a dark view of the University and the recent decision to retire the crusader mascot and moniker.  The university has been able to conduct in person classes during the Covid pandemic when many education institutions went completely online and thus lost the value of on-campus activities.  I would contend that this has not been a small accomplishment for Valpo.  Furthermore, the university has raised over $250 million in endowment and operating funds that will enhance the future sustainability of the university. The university's physical plant is in the best shape it has been in since I graduated from Valpo in the 1970's with modern and refurbished facilities for most critical functions such as library, union, science, arts, religion, business, nursing, engineering, marketing/recruiting, some housing and the vacant law buildings waiting for repurposing.  Yes, there are still needed areas for physical improvements in areas such as athletics, some academics and more modern housing.  New academic programs have been added and undersubscribed programs trimmed.  Academic achievements of individual students seem to be as prevalent as ever and I sense that Valpo's academic reputation is as strong as ever. 

The school must adjust to the times and moving away from a minor aspect of its identity (a mascot and nickname) that some people find offensive doesn't bother me considering all the other positive aspects of the university's accomplishments and mission.  The university, as do most colleges, has plenty of challenges to recruit new students so removing characterizations that some people find offensive (no matter how justified) probably makes good sense.

David81

Quote from: 78crusader on February 13, 2021, 02:37:12 PM
While Irwin-Knott may have "taken one for the team" by announcing the name change decision under her "interim" watch, this decision would not have been made without the blessing of new President Padilla. He will be the one who takes most of the heat for this.  For him to support this decision at the outset of his administration, with our university - and many of our peer institutions - facing more serious issues, is mystifying, not to mention very divisive.

I no longer fully trust the Board or the upper echelons of the University to make wise decisions or exercise good judgment. The last 4 years have seen several poor decisions followed by one negative headline after another, with the closing of the law school - an ongoing PR disaster if ever there was one - leading the way.

All of this is, of course, a shame since there are many, many fine people who work for this university, including a very dedicated faculty and support staff.

Perhaps President Padilla will reverse this trend and provide wise and common sense leadership. We all had better hope so.

Paul

But if we are in agreement that there are other more pressing issues, then why all the blowback about the mascot? As I've written here, I support the decision but would not have stopped my donations to VU had it gone the other way. It was clear to me that this was contemplated extensively, and had the final decision been a respectful explanation of why VU opted to retain it, or something along the lines similar to what was posted about Holy Cross's approach, I would've said OK and moved on.

(Sidebar: The demise of the VU law school is heartbreaking, but the stars were lining up against it. I've read a lot about how and why the law school ended up closing its doors, and it keeps coming back to money: What some folks here may not know is that many law schools in the U.S. are surviving ONLY because of huge cash outlays from their parent universities that are drawing major resources from other programs and schools. By sharp contrast, before the 2008 meltdown, most law schools were at least breaking even and in many cases serving as cash cows to the parent university. Bottom line is that VU probably could've kept the law school going, but at the significant expense of other units within the university, and it would've always been operating at the margins in terms of acceptable LSAT scores and bar pass rates (the latter correlating with the former).)

valpotx

Quote from: sfnmman on February 14, 2021, 10:17:17 AM
I can't understand why some commenters in this forum take such a dark view of the University and the recent decision to retire the crusader mascot and moniker.  The university has been able to conduct in person classes during the Covid pandemic when many education institutions went completely online and thus lost the value of on-campus activities.  I would contend that this has not been a small accomplishment for Valpo.  Furthermore, the university has raised over $250 million in endowment and operating funds that will enhance the future sustainability of the university. The university's physical plant is in the best shape it has been in since I graduated from Valpo in the 1970's with modern and refurbished facilities for most critical functions such as library, union, science, arts, religion, business, nursing, engineering, marketing/recruiting, some housing and the vacant law buildings waiting for repurposing.  Yes, there are still needed areas for physical improvements in areas such as athletics, some academics and more modern housing.  New academic programs have been added and undersubscribed programs trimmed.  Academic achievements of individual students seem to be as prevalent as ever and I sense that Valpo's academic reputation is as strong as ever. 

The school must adjust to the times and moving away from a minor aspect of its identity (a mascot and nickname) that some people find offensive doesn't bother me considering all the other positive aspects of the university's accomplishments and mission.  The university, as do most colleges, has plenty of challenges to recruit new students so removing characterizations that some people find offensive (no matter how justified) probably makes good sense.

It is a big political hot topic, in regards to the "woke/cancel culture."  Those that are likely to lean left, would support this decision more so than those of us that lean right.  It is not just a mascot change, but a potential shift in the public political stance of the university in which we graduated, and have since donated.  For those of you that are happy about this decision, great.  Would you be happy if there was another political hot topic that showed a shift to more of a far right/conservative university?  I've always enjoyed more of the moderate conservative stance of the university, and if this is a sign of things to come, that is where my feedback stems from, tied to watching our stance going forward, and if I will donate again.  My wife might donate to a cause like Planned Parenthood, but I would not.  Pretty simple to understand.
"Don't mess with Texas"

sfnmman

There really is no benefit to politicize the decision the university made to retire the crusader mascot.  Too many of today's critical issues are politicized to the detriment of appreciating others views.  That is the current problem with much of today's discourse where complicated subjects are simplified to either right or left (conservative or liberal) thinking.  For example complex issues such as environmental protection, energy use, health care, or economic disparity have been overly politicized making finding solutions more difficult.

I don't see retiring a term that some people find distasteful as a right or left issue.  What ever happened to the simple act of respecting the feelings of others even if you personally don't feel the same or understand why they find it objectionable?  Name changes happen all the time.  One of the previous posts here listed numerous sports team/mascot name changes. It doesn't have to be viewed as a right or left issue.

valpotx

Quote from: sfnmman on February 14, 2021, 03:58:11 PM
There really is no benefit to politicize the decision the university made to retire the crusader mascot.  Too many of today's critical issues are politicized to the detriment of appreciating others views.  That is the current problem with much of today's discourse where complicated subjects are simplified to either right or left (conservative or liberal) thinking.  For example complex issues such as environmental protection, energy use, health care, or economic disparity have been overly politicized making finding solutions more difficult.

I don't see retiring a term that some people find distasteful as a right or left issue.  What ever happened to the simple act of respecting the feelings of others even if you personally don't feel the same or understand why they find it objectionable?  Name changes happen all the time.  One of the previous posts here listed numerous sports team/mascot name changes. It doesn't have to be viewed as a right or left issue.

It is politicized with the way that Valpo handled it, which you are not seeing.  I would be less worked up, if the very far left current SBP, wasn't given prominent video time in this announcement.  When it comes to a decision such as this that affects a large number of alumni, the university Interim President should have been the only speaker, and could reference faculty, student, and some alumni support.  Cut and dry, I move on.  Tying someone with extremist views of any sort, to this announcement, was just dumb. 

On another note, are you religious?  As I've said in other posts, I am a non-believer.  What do you call a non-believer?  An Atheist, correct?  Well, I find that term offensive, as it has been given such a negative connotation throughout human history, as if you are a non-believer, you must be evil.  Using your logic above, we should cancel the word Atheist, correct?
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Whatever the actual merits of changing the Crusader, the survey process and timing amidst a CoVID financial crisis were both ridiculous.  Higher education displays itself as a clown car to serious people sometimes.

In terms of process this message board thread itself cites a quite recent Facebook poll (two years ago or less?) on this topic.  It drew a 75% favorable polling for keeping the Crusader.  That would be the simple reason that people are skeptical. Then of course there is the false dichotomy question so many cite; "Do you identify more as a Valpo person or a Crusader?" Those stunts don't build trust. 

More important than the process was the ridiculous timing of the whole mascot debate. VU ran an 11% deficit in fiscal 2018-2019 (PRE-PANDEMIC) according to the Moody's downgrade to "negative" from stable.  Does anyone know the deficit Valpo incurred in 2019-2020?  But....at least we have removed the Crusader now.

soapyjeans

If the name is definitely going to change then at least we can start a suggestion list for them:

Paladins
Saints
Warriors

Just Sayin

Quote from: soapyjeans on March 27, 2021, 09:34:15 AM
If the name is definitely going to change then at least we can start a suggestion list for them:

Paladins
Saints
Warriors

Sounds like the university would be better off to get rid of those particular faculty.

bbtds

Quote from: soapyjeans on March 27, 2021, 09:34:15 AM

Paladins
Saints
Warriors

You mean like this thread?

https://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3903.0

loschwitz

The name "crusader" has found resonance in diverse sections of American society:

https://chicagocrusader.com/