• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Youngstown State - Valpo (9/10)

Started by milanmiracle, September 02, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: setshot on September 06, 2011, 10:21:02 AM
Sagarin stll has Valpo ranked at 246. I don't know why. Hell, we scored 35pts,averaged over 43 yds. on 10 punts,and amassed over 400 yds. on offensive. I guess the real problem was our "D." Franklin tip-toed through our tulip "D" for a total of 669 yds.and 7 tds. Oh well,there are easier opponents out there. One or two of our wins (maybe 4) could come from the likes of Sagarin rated teams such as: Campbell #243,Davidson #239,Morehead #236, or Butler # 234. Let's take all four. GO VALPO!

i'm liking the optimism. don't suppose it's too much to ask to keep it up?

ValpoBy7

The game against YSU is a mismatch from the standpoint that yes non versus scholarship, picking developed kids from Junior Colleges versus 97.5% incoming freshman, holdouts that are getting eligible to play because they are non qualifiers versus pre-med/engineering/pre-law, and D1 AA football factory versus developing the leaders of tomorrow. Go look at the bios of the YSU players and see what I have just offered. Their roster is for the kids that could not get into a real D1 school because of academic issues. They have a bunch of JC players, Community College players, and guys that could not qualify at all. If it were not for grades many YSU players would be at D1 BCS schools. Several come from Penn State, Ohio State, and other bigger programs where there either flunked out or were not starters.

So this is a mismatch. There O Line goes 6'6", 6'3",6'3",6'4",and 6'6" with 325, 315, 320, 285, and 310 respectively.

The fact that we will be tested is an understatement. The good news is our players will by far have the toughest game of their year out of the way. Non-Conference to.

crusaderjoe

After reading this thread, IMO, if the prevailing view is that VU should not schedule upper tier FCS schools (or any FCS schools outside of the PFL for that matter) or that the program itself is of Division III caliber, then I am sorry, but the program has to go.  Disband it in its entirety and put the money used for it towards a track.  Any one up for that?

At D-III schools, I would imagine that athletics are primarily used as a magnet to draw and increase student population. I think the VU ADept is moving away from that mentality in general with the use of its sports teams as a D-I institution. However, since VU Football remains "D-I in name only" as some of you allege, with the new initiative to get VU's enrollment to over 6,000 students in the future, it would seem to me that the football program's purpose has been served because VU will not need to rely on it to increase and/or maintain male enrollment.  

The only other alternative would be to legitimize the program by offering a slew of scholarships, but of course that would never happen.  

Personally, we could lose 49-0 against YSU and I would take that against a win over Franklin any day of the week.  FCS should be competing against FCS.

penguinpower

Hey guys,

I come in peace.  I was reading your message board and saw your concern.  First of all, lets hope that nobody gets hurt.  In FB if you are doing the hitting then you are usually okay.  If you are the one being hit, well, odds are against you.

The game could be closer than you think.  Our secondary is our area of concern.  We were not tested by MSU.  They were hell bent on establishing a power running game on us and were not very successful.  Valpo needs to see if they can get to the edge and deep into the secondary.  That means that you will have to be able to protect the QB long enough to get the ball down the field vertically.  YSU's LB's are the best part of the D and the DL isn't too shabby either.  The secondary is the  question mark for the Penguins.  We had issues last year that cost us games.  We have improved this area, but little is known.  Cousins completed two deep balls on YSU that put them into position to score.  We actually matched up well with them in many areas.

YSU's offense is really potent, but turnovers can be game changers.  Valpo will need to try to control the clock on offense to keep the YSU offense off of the field.

I am happy that we get to play you at a sport we are good at.  I am sick and tired of watching us lose to you guys in basketball.

penguinpower

Read the story.  Great story.  I feel for you.  I didn't realize that you have been struggling so much in FB.  I hope the players will enjoy playing at YSU.  We should have good attendance it can get really loud at times.  They may enjoy it.   Give it some time.  Marshall University went through some a bad period after the plane crash in the 1970's and eventually won a National Championship at the FCS level.  You just have to believe and you have to get the fans to go to the games.  People=$

milanmiracle

I'll predict YSU 63 - VU 10. Not quite as bad as the Jacksonville game, but close. Besides that, they want to keep VU on the schedule so beating them into a plup won't help that cause.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: crusaderjoe on September 06, 2011, 04:04:36 PM
After reading this thread, IMO, if the prevailing view is that VU should not schedule upper tier FCS schools (or any FCS schools outside of the PFL for that matter) or that the program itself is of Division III caliber, then I am sorry, but the program has to go.  Disband it in its entirety and put the money used for it towards a track.  Any one up for that?

At D-III schools, I would imagine that athletics are primarily used as a magnet to draw and increase student population. I think the VU ADept is moving away from that mentality in general with the use of its sports teams as a D-I institution. However, since VU Football remains "D-I in name only" as some of you allege, with the new initiative to get VU's enrollment to over 6,000 students in the future, it would seem to me that the football program's purpose has been served because VU will not need to rely on it to increase and/or maintain male enrollment.   

The only other alternative would be to legitimize the program by offering a slew of scholarships, but of course that would never happen. 

Personally, we could lose 49-0 against YSU and I would take that against a win over Franklin any day of the week.  FCS should be competing against FCS.

I basically agree with everything you are saying and just offering my support.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpo84

milan -- just to add to a question about PFL competing/winning against scholly programs, Jacksonville last year also rolled Old Dominion, and my recollection is that USD during the Harbaugh years was competing against and winning against FCS opponents. Not sure how the old Sagarins in football work, but I would guess that it might help rankings to play and occasionally beat the higher ranked D1AA-S schools. I'd rather see us play the Ivys, Pat Leagues and YSUs than Franklin, Concordia and Augustana (IL) (although that was a whale of a program back in the 80s). The argument is similar to why do FCS programs schedule BCS programs. Michigan has asked themselves that question.....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Crusader65

Coach Carlson covers most of the questions and comments above in his YSU Preview at the football blog.   :deadhorse:

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

vuweathernerd

one clarification - ysu is a member of the missouri valley FOOTBALL conference. not the missouri valley conference. they just happen to share some of the same teams.

okinawatyphoon

Nice to see that Valpo will be playing North Dakota in 2013. If I am still here I'll be sure to catch it!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on September 09, 2011, 10:15:39 AM
Youngstown newpaper opinion:   :whiteflag:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/sep/08/valpo-is-better-but-still-not-very-good/
The story is pretty much straight on and accurate.

The quote that makes the fear of Valpo players maybe getting hurt in this game is this one:

"We've got to really get in there and get physical with them," said YSU receiver Christian Bryan. "I think they're going to be a little softer [than Michigan State] so if we get in there and get physical, we can really set the tone early on."

Let's hope the injuries are kept to a minimum.

setshot

Nice to be recognized for our lack of success on the football field. Last in the country and soon to be last in the hearts of our fellow alums,that's VU football. Oh,but keep in mind,its not whether you win or lose,its how the tuition payers can't play the game. 246,246 hip hip hooray. :bowdown:

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on September 08, 2011, 09:42:20 PM
Nice to see that Valpo will be playing North Dakota in 2013. If I am still here I'll be sure to catch it!

but where's the game gonna be? any chance it's in valpo? or will it be bismarck?

vu72

I presume the motivation for this game is the same as Youngstown State--for both sides.  As a result, there is no way this game will be in Valpo.  It's a payday for Valpo.  I do wonder how much money we will get for the YSU game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: vuweathernerd on September 09, 2011, 05:33:38 PM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on September 08, 2011, 09:42:20 PM

but where's the game gonna be? any chance it's in valpo? or will it be bismarck?

Not sure, but the university of north Dakota is in Grand Forks and North Dakota state university is in Fargo.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

setshot

28-0,YSU in the 1st. quarter. It's gonna be a long day.

milanmiracle

Quote from: setshot on September 10, 2011, 03:41:56 PM
28-0,YSU in the 1st. quarter. It's gonna be a long day.

Long might be the understatement of the day.

49-0 with 10:48 left to go in the 2nd qtr.

Revision - 56 - 0 with 7:17 in the 2nd

So much for YSU not beating Valpo to a pulp so they will keep them on the schedule. When was the last time somebody scored 100 in a game?

Crusader65

Obvious superior athletes at 80% of positions but Alpo isn't doing anything to help themselves.  Arm tackle won't work with any good teams.  3 and out only helps YSU run it up.  Hurry up offense leaves more on the clock for them.  Maybe YSU should step off the pedal and play some 2's.  56-0 7:15 to go in 2nd quarter.  These guys need to hold together and not quit or checkout.  YSU is now only hurting themselves if they keep running it up.  :whiteflag:

Crusader65

Valpo Scores!  Not a shutout this time. 4:00 to go in 2nd block PAT!  56-6 Oh well.  We still can't tackle.

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 06, 2011, 09:14:43 PM
I'll predict YSU 63 - VU 10.

You are close to having the first half score.  We have worst AD in country.  Game should never be scheduled and there really is no vision to get out of where we are with football.  No scholarship is kill you and provide no alternatives.  Even what the coach says makes no sense when talking recruiting strategy.

penguinpower

YSU needs to take the foot off the gas a little bit.  This is embarrassing to me. It is disrespectful IMOP.

drewsaders11

I wouldn't blame a 63-6 halftime score on the athletic director.  He could have scheduled Newport News Apprentice (whatever that is, and who Campbell beat 76-0 today), but the football team would still probably find a way to lose.