• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Team Previews

Started by sectionee, September 02, 2011, 05:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

I'm looking to run a team preview for each Horizon League team towards the middle/end of the month.  I've got someone to cover Valpo, UIC, UMW, and Butler.  If there are any fans of any of the other schools on here, or any of you Valpo fans want to take a crack at one of the schools I haven't mentioned let me know!

dylanrocks

For what it's worth ...

Here's how The Sporting News College Basketball Yearbook sees it:

1, Detroit
2, Milwaukee
3, Butler
4, Cleveland State
5, Valparaiso
6, UWGB
7, Wright State
8, Youngstown State
9, Loyola
10, UIC

All-conference team
Ray McCallum, Jr., Detroit
Eli Holman, Detroit
Trevon Harmon, Cleveland State
Tony Meier, Milwaukee
Ronald Nored, Butler

Player of the Year -- Eli Holman, Detroit
Newcomer of the Year -- Roosevelt Jones, Butler
Coach of the Year -- Ray McCallum, Sr., Detroit

valpofan56

Quote from: dylanrocks on September 07, 2011, 10:41:29 PM
For what it's worth ...

1, Detroit
2, Milwaukee
3, Butler
4, Cleveland State
5, Valparaiso
6, UWGB
7, Wright State
8, Youngstown State
9, Loyola
10, UIC

All-conference team
Eli Holman, Detroit
Tony Meier, Milwaukee
Ronald Nored, Butler

Those two show me that whoever wrote this has no idea what they're doing!

dylanrocks

Quote from: valpofan56 on September 08, 2011, 01:36:34 AM
For what it's worth ...

1, Detroit
2, Milwaukee
3, Butler
4, Cleveland State
5, Valparaiso
6, UWGB
7, Wright State
8, Youngstown State
9, Loyola
10, UIC

All-conference team
Eli Holman, Detroit
Tony Meier, Milwaukee
Ronald Nored, Butler

Agree with this as it applies to all-conference honors. Based upon last year's production, Kaylon Williams would have been a far more logical selection ... and Ray McCallum, Sr. simply can't coach.

As for the ranking of teams, it looks good to me. I don't see how Butler could be ranked ahead of Detroit given that these are done on paper. Furthermore, Detroit was selected as a No. 9 seed in the NCAAs and Butler was picked as a No. 11.

For the record, the preview was written by Joe Maxse, who formerly covered Cleveland State for the Plain-Dealer.

zvillehaze

vu72

Le
Quote from: zvillehaze on September 12, 2011, 11:45:10 AM
Here's another league preview.  I apologize if it's a repost.

http://rushthecourt.net/2011/08/17/rtc-summer-updates-horizon-league/
[/quote

Either he didn't do his homework or is ignoring a section first team big school Juco in Richie Edwards, as well as a Ole Miss transfer and a Va Tech transfer, all of which will be eligible during this coming year.  We have plenty of work to do to get everyone on the same page, but can start with Kevin, Ryan, Matt, Jay and Erik.  Not a bad group and all with plenty of experience.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

I agree with VU72. My first reaction upon reading the league preview was to notice the glaring omission of Edwards.

Admittedly, this is optimistic; however, I am thinking that Edwards could be a significant contributor to the front line, and I'm hoping that Kevin's back will be somewhat stronger this season, plus the two 7-footers can provide him with spells throughout games. The opportunities and expectations for scoring will be higher for Rowdy, Jay, and Matt. Kurth's return should add some stability and depth, and Bogan will be another variable to add to the mix.

Still, the strength of this team should not be seen until next year when everyone has played together a season and matured. In addition, Capobianco will be eligible, as will Boggs for the whole season. In fact, I imagine Boggs might actually wind up as a redshirt this year.

motowntitan

Quote from: dylanrocks on September 08, 2011, 10:58:14 AM
Quote from: valpofan56 on September 08, 2011, 01:36:34 AM
For what it's worth ...

1, Detroit
2, Milwaukee
3, Butler
4, Cleveland State
5, Valparaiso
6, UWGB
7, Wright State
8, Youngstown State
9, Loyola
10, UIC

All-conference team
Eli Holman, Detroit
Tony Meier, Milwaukee
Ronald Nored, Butler

Agree with this as it applies to all-conference honors. Based upon last year's production, Kaylon Williams would have been a far more logical selection ... and Ray McCallum, Sr. simply can't coach.

As for the ranking of teams, it looks good to me. I don't see how Butler could be ranked ahead of Detroit given that these are done on paper. Furthermore, Detroit was selected as a No. 9 seed in the NCAAs and Butler was picked as a No. 11.

For the record, the preview was written by Joe Maxse, who formerly covered Cleveland State for the Plain-Dealer.

Yea, Maxse has covered boxing the last few years.  The last time he wrote an article about Cleveland State was in 2009.  Sadly, he is still able to get paid for doing very little.  I would take Woods(IndyStar), Nagle (DDN), Lazerus (Post Tribune), or Demovsky (GBPress Gazette) any day over Maxse.

dylanrocks

For what it's worth ...

Here's how Athlon Sports College Basketball Preview sees it:

1, Butler (NCAA tournament one & done)
2, Detroit
3, Cleveland State
4, Milwaukee
5, Valparaiso
6, Green Bay
7, Loyola
8, Wright State
9, Youngstown State
10, UIC

All-conference team
Tre Harmon, Cleveland State
Eli Holman, Detroit
Khyle Marshall, Butler
Tony Meier, Milwaukee

No Player of the Year, Newcomer of the Year or Coach of the Year listed.

wh

Quote from: dylanrocks on September 26, 2011, 05:49:24 PM
For what it's worth ...

Here's how Athlon Sports College Basketball Preview sees it:

1, Butler (NCAA tournament one & done)
2, Detroit
3, Cleveland State
4, Milwaukee
5, Valparaiso
6, Green Bay
7, Loyola
8, Wright State
9, Youngstown State
10, UIC

All-conference team
Tre Harmon, Cleveland State
Eli Holman, Detroit
Khyle Marshall, Butler
Tony Meier, Milwaukee

No Player of the Year, Newcomer of the Year or Coach of the Year listed.

Although pre-season polls are just for fun anyway, I'm a little surprised that the writer would be picking Butler to win.  On the other hand, after what they accomplished the last two years I wouldn't bet against them - even with a lot of unknowns.

IrishDawg

I wouldn't bet on the Horizon League coaches and media picking Butler to win this season.  I would also bet that the newcomer of the year probably isn't going to be Roosevelt Jones.  He is probably the best rated freshman (Boga from Milwaukee, Grady from CSU are also very highly rated), but he may not even be starting for Butler, despite the fact that I expect him to play some significant minutes as the year goes on.  It will likely be a transfer such as Julius Mays from WSU or Harris from Milwaukee, who will probably be starting and seeing a significant amount of playing time and scoring to be coming from them.

I could also see Butler not having a player on the first team preseason all-conference team, though if they didn't have one (Marshall) on either the first or second team I would probably poop my pants out of surprise.