• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Valpo is going to play West Virginia in a true away game on November 24 in the Non-bracketed game of the Myrtle Beach Invitational.

https://wvusports.com/news/2018/4/12/mens-basketball-hoops-non-conference-home-schedule-announced.aspx

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on April 12, 2018, 01:19:11 PM
Valpo is going to play West Virginia in a true away game on November 24 in the Non-bracketed game of the Myrtle Beach Invitational.

https://wvusports.com/news/2018/4/12/mens-basketball-hoops-non-conference-home-schedule-announced.aspx

Two wins over WVU would look mighty good on the resume!!  :thumbsup:

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteI would say thanks but no thanks. I could probably swallow doing a 2-for-1. Besides swallowing your pride I'm not sure a 3-for-1 even makes economical sense. If we were talking about a Duke or Kansas or a program of that echelon then tell me where to sign, but that's not realistic.

We're in the Valley now. A 2-for-1 is fine under the right circumstances (yes, even for Butler). A 3-for-1? Anyone suggesting that's "how it's done" needs to drink a giant cup of GFY.

SanityLost17

So we play a couple of the top teams in true away games and play a 2 game tourney against the bottom 3 teams in the tournament?  Or are we actually going to get a chance to see top teams on a neutral court?

EddieCabot

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 12, 2018, 08:41:43 PM

So we play a couple of the top teams in true away games and play a 2 game tourney against the bottom 3 teams in the tournament?  Or are we actually going to get a chance to see top teams on a neutral court?

My understanding is that the "bracketed" portion of the tourney will be 3 games in the typical 8 team bracket on a neutral floor in Myrtle Beach.  Winners advance, while losers play for 3rd, 5th and 7th places.

Teams are allowed 29 regular season games, or 27 games + up to 4 games in a multi-team exempt tournament (MTE).

Since Valpo will only play 3 games in Myrtle Beach, they can play a 4th "non-bracketed" game at WVU that counts as part of the MTE, not as part of the other 27 games allowed.  Very smart way to get an extra game on the schedule.

A few years back, UNI did the same thing.  They played Xavier in the championship game in a MTE in Orlando (I think), then played at Xavier 6 days later in an "unbracketed" 4th game of the MTE.  Great to see Valpo staff taking advantage of this opportunity to not only get an extra game, but one against a top opponent.

vu84v2

I had not seen the West Virginia and Wake Forest were also in the Myrtle Beach tournament. That tourney and its teams (it also has Western Kentucky, Cal State-Fullerton and St Joseph's) overall are a good fit for Valpo. Nice scheduling!

As much as I want Valpo to build up a much better schedule, West Virginia would not have been high on my list of teams to play. I am not taking anything away from West Virginia - I am not fond of Huggins and his history, but his teams are well coached and talented. The issue with WVU is that the games are always ugly in one of two ways: (1) they force an enormous number of turnovers or (2) the don't force an enormous number of turnovers and it turns into a festival of fouls and free throws.

crusadermoe

Beggars can't be choosers.  I like it.

VUGrad1314

A game that may force us to win an ugly low scoring defensive battle? Sounds like just the game Valpo or any MVC team needs! Great get and great job guaranteeing we get to play them once if not twice. Say what you will about Huggins he gives the mids a chance which is more than can be said for many P5 coaches out there. I am excited and grateful that Valpo is getting this opportunity I'm sure the players are too.

VUOR63

Huggins coached the Cincinnati team that had a home and home with Valpo in the early 00s, I believe.

humbleopinion

Quote from: VUOR63 on April 13, 2018, 03:09:42 PM
Huggins coached the Cincinnati team that had a home and home with Valpo in the early 00s, I believe.

Cincinnati played at the ARC when Kenny Harris was going to be the next big time star.  i remember their bigs being much more aggressive and quicker than Baby Shaq.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

diving into the MBI opposition....and the all-time VU records against the opposition...

West Virginia   1-0, December 28, 2001, VU 75, WVU 57, @ Fiesta Bowl Classic in Tucson (lost to U of A 74-70 in Championship)
Wake Forest   we have never played the Demon Deacons
Western Kentucky   we have never played the Hilltoppers
Cal State Fullerton   1-0, December 22, 2000, Valpo 65, CSUF 52 in the ARC
St. Josephs   we have never played the Hawks
UCF   3-2 all time
   November 18, 2008, VU 69 UCF 52 in the ARC
   December 22, 2008, UCF 85, VU 60 in Orlando
   January 5, 1990, VU 90, UCF 89 @ Tangerine Classic in Orlando (Lost to Rollins by 17 in the championship)
   November 26, 2013 VU 85 UCF 70 in the ARC
   December 22, 2013, UCF 90 VU 62 in Orlando

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteCincinnati played at the ARC when Kenny Harris was going to be the next big time star.  i remember their bigs being much more aggressive and quicker than Baby Shaq.

I remember that game specifically because Valpo came out in a full-court press to start the game, and had Cincy discombobulated for the first few possessions, which allowed us to get off to a good start. Those Huggins UC teams were known for trying to blitz mid-major opponents with their physical advantage at the outset of games to rattle the teams and make them play from behind. So Homer very craftily decided to try to turn the tables. It worked for three or four trips up the floor (before UC broke the press with a breakaway dunk) and allowed us to hang around for most of the first half.

We forced a turnover on one of those early possessions, and I recall Huggins letting one of his kids have it, then turning and giving Homer a quick smile and a nod, acknowledging the clever move. In the list of "Things I Never Thought I'd See in My Life as a Valpo Fan," us starting out a game pressing against the University of Cincinnati would be pretty high on that list.

I also remember two other things from that night: the VU student section serenading the Cincy bench with "Pomp and Circumstance" (this was before the APR was implemented and shortly after UC infamously clocked in with a zero percent graduation rate for their basketball program); and also being within earshot of Huggins made me realize that he can be funny as hell.

FWalum

Quote from: VUOR63 on April 13, 2018, 03:09:42 PM
We did have a 2-1 with Cincinnati 02-03, 03-04 and 04-05. The 03-04 game at the ARC was brutally rough. That was the game that Seth Colclasure got face planted by a Cinci player while trying to shield him off from a ball going out of bounds. Coleclasure sustained a concussion and suffered from symptoms much of that year, sitting out at least 9 games. Huggins does give mid-majors a chance, but we better be prepared because his teams go all out for 40 minutes, teams don't normally see the type of chaos his style of coaching can create.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

That Cinci team was a bunch of thugs.  I believe that 2003-2004 team had some ongoing documentary about them throughout the year, similar to the NFL show that tracks a team from pre-season to the regular reason.  I forget the name of the show.  I was so pissed after that game.  I was waiting to cross the court in the arena hallway that leads to the visitor's locker room just after the game finishes, and one of their players bumped into me, and I gave him an elbow.  It was one of the smaller guys, not the big dudes lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

I agree that WVU is a very good get for Valpo and that having them also in a neutral site bracket tournament is great. But the recent WVU teams are almost as physical as that Cincinnati team and their guards physically beat up the opponent's guards. Jevon Carter graduated (something that didn't happen a lot at Cincinnati with Huggins) but there will always be a large rotation of physical guards at WVU.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on April 14, 2018, 11:15:26 AM
That Cinci team was a bunch of thugs.  I believe that 2003-2004 team had some ongoing documentary about them throughout the year, similar to the NFL show that tracks a team from pre-season to the regular reason.  I forget the name of the show.  I was so pissed after that game.  I was waiting to cross the court in the arena hallway that leads to the visitor's locker room just after the game finishes, and one of their players bumped into me, and I gave him an elbow.  It was one of the smaller guys, not the big dudes lol.

Hard Knocks.

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 14, 2018, 12:55:58 PMI agree that WVU is a very good get for Valpo and that having them also in a neutral site bracket tournament is great. But the recent WVU teams are almost as physical as that Cincinnati team and their guards physically beat up the opponent's guards. Jevon Carter graduated (something that didn't happen a lot at Cincinnati with Huggins) but there will always be a large rotation of physical guards at WVU.

Anyone who watched the WVU/Villanova game in the NCAAs can attest to the fact that WVU will beat you up with their press. I enjoy watching tough physical play and teams which press. Not quite 40 minutes of hell but possibly the closest thing to it. Valpo will need to be very prepared in that game, particularly in the backcourt, otherwise the game will be over early.

M

It'll be the coming out party for Sackey as he single handedly burns through their press.

VU2014

It'll help that Jevon Carter is graduated (keith's cousin and a former Valpo offer). Jevon was a stud and a great defender.

JD24

Quote from: M on April 14, 2018, 10:05:58 PMIt'll be the coming out party for Sackey as he single handedly burns through their press.

Hopefully he'll have the ball still in his possession when said burning ends.

JD24

Quote from: VU2014 on April 14, 2018, 11:15:14 PMIt'll help that Jevon Carter is graduated (keith's cousin and a former Valpo offer). Jevon was a stud and a great defender.

It'll help. Terrific player.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: JD24 on April 14, 2018, 11:33:48 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 14, 2018, 11:15:14 PMIt'll help that Jevon Carter is graduated (keith's cousin and a former Valpo offer). Jevon was a stud and a great defender.

Looks like WVU also has (7) juniors to be on their roster.

valpo84

And let us not forget the family connections, Jevon is Keith's cousin, maybe both could be activated for one of the games.  Interestingly, both Buffalo and Valpo (both of which Huggybear has on the schedule) were in the afternoon pod at Columbus for the tourney game vs Maryland.  Huggy is a lot of things, but he is great within the coaching fraternity.  Matt better be on the line to Scott to get some advice. Konate is also a more advanced Vashii in the middle so Smits and Jaime better prepare all summer for that matchup.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VU2014

As of right now the 2018-19 Schedule looks like:

-Ball State (H)
-SIUE (H)
-UC Riverside (H)
-3 games Myrtle Beach Tourney (WVU, Wake Forest, UCF, WKU, SJU, Cal State Fullerton, TBD) (N)
-West Virginia November 24 (A)
-(?) Oral Roberts (rumored series starting against them)
-MVC/MWC Challenge (UNLV, Fresno State, Colorado State, Air Force, or SJSU) (A)

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 15, 2018, 08:18:53 AM
Quote from: JD24 on April 14, 2018, 11:33:48 PM
Looks like WVU also has (7) juniors to be on their roster.

Konate could declare (if he hasn't already). If he's back, he's another problem.