• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Suggestion Box on how to boost Student Attendance & Enthusiasm at Games

Started by Billy Co, January 23, 2018, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

Quote from: M on February 25, 2018, 05:20:59 PM
I agree...no way they put the band behind the either bench.

I do remember being entertained when the band would walk on the court and point their instruments right at the enemy huddle during a timeout.

As I recall the Horizon League made VU move the band from the East side of the student section to the west side, to get it away from the visitor's bench.

VU2014

Quote from: valpospartan on February 25, 2018, 05:27:32 PM

I do remember being entertained when the band would walk on the court and point their instruments right at the enemy huddle during a timeout.

As I recall the Horizon League made VU move the band from the East side of the student section to the west side, to get it away from the visitor's bench.

I wonder if the Athletics Department would consider moving it back to the east side again. If I'm the athletics department I'd try and make the opposing team as a uncomfortable as possible. Everything from swapping the cushioned chairs to metal, putting the band right next to them, even up to putting bad lighting in the opposing teams locker-room. Wage psychological warfare and make them despise visiting the ARC.

FieldGoodie05

Let's applaud our AD for being open and coming on the podcast, I'm very glad he's engaged.  I understand why you'd be upset if they stole your seating for a meager Valparaizone turnout.  I doubt that will happen.

I think he was simply saying ideas are out there, nothing is off the table.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 25, 2018, 05:59:02 PM
Let's applaud our AD for being open and coming on the podcast, I'm very glad he's engaged.

Amen. It's nice to hear the AD see's the problem we've talked about on this board and is looking for new ways to solve the problems.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on February 25, 2018, 05:47:40 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on February 25, 2018, 05:27:32 PM

I wonder if the Athletics Department would consider moving it back to the east side again. If I'm the athletics department I'd try and make the opposing team as a uncomfortable as possible. Everything from swapping the cushioned chairs to metal, putting the band right next to them, even up to putting bad lighting in the opposing teams locker-room. Wage psychological warfare and make them despise visiting the ARC.

I could see moving the band to the upper middle of the Zone. Logical. But now you're going off the reservation with the other ideas. But I understand the temptation.

crusadermoe

This talk of moving the Student Section seems pretty dumb.  As some have said, you need room to lead the group. 

I have not taken specific note, but I  think nearly all schools put the students behind one of the hoops.  You see them waving and yelling at the FT shooters that way. Duke would be the only exception I have seen.   And with their tradition, I suspect fans are still willing to pay very good money to sit elsewhere either above or outside the "Crazies" section.   

Dumb idea.   Shouldn't need to bribe students with better seats.   Recruit kids who are proud of their school.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 25, 2018, 07:17:42 PM
I could see moving the band to the upper middle of the Zone. Logical. But now you're going off the reservation with the other ideas. But I understand the temptation.

Haha probably. Very Belichickian  ;)

VULB#62

Aside from the Valparaizone sign behind the west basket, are there more things that can be done to enhance the physical zone environment for students to want to be there (IF they even come to a game, of course)?

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 25, 2018, 09:35:38 PM
This talk of moving the Student Section seems pretty dumb.  As some have said, you need room to lead the group. 

I have not taken specific note, but I  think nearly all schools put the students behind one of the hoops.  You see them waving and yelling at the FT shooters that way. Duke would be the only exception I have seen.   And with their tradition, I suspect fans are still willing to pay very good money to sit elsewhere either above or outside the "Crazies" section.   

Dumb idea.   Shouldn't need to bribe students with better seats.   Recruit kids who are proud of their school.

Loyola's students sit in the section opposite the team benches. They try to stand most of the game but sit during time outs.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on February 26, 2018, 11:38:51 AM
Loyola's students sit in the section opposite the team benches. They try to stand most of the game but sit during time outs.

That's just a culture thing. If most students are standing the rest will end up standing. If most students are sitting it will make you feel weird to stand. It's a "peer-pressure" type thing.

usc4valpo

have more quick events between timeouts. Drake does this and it was actually pretty cool.

One issue at Valpo is lack of pubs and restaurants near the ARC. Drake has several good ones since it is in the Des Moines city limits.

talksalot

from December 2013...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGc0Q-7Vjh8

February 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFuw3v2ooQM

January 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPZxhmOLKGo

December 7, 2016... yes, it's a different atmosphere in the SEC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf64Nvzqwuc

November 12, 2014
Now this one ... we should arrange to do this type of presentation at every home game...it never gets old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMNd_gI6alw

VULB#62

Aren't these more half time stuff?  I think the idea was to do more things in the 60 secs during time outs like tee shirt cannons and quick stunts.

UWM & UWGB rEally maxed that sort of thing at their venues. (Only away venues I was able to attend).

agibson

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 25, 2018, 09:35:38 PMI have not taken specific note, but I  think nearly all schools put the students behind one of the hoops.  You see them waving and yelling at the FT shooters that way. Duke would be the only exception I have seen.

I'm pretty sure at Illinois, and also I think at Cal-Berkeley, the students get something like an entire sideline.

valpo04

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2018, 10:37:59 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 25, 2018, 09:35:38 PMI have not taken specific note, but I  think nearly all schools put the students behind one of the hoops.  You see them waving and yelling at the FT shooters that way. Duke would be the only exception I have seen.

I'm pretty sure at Illinois, and also I think at Cal-Berkeley, the students get something like an entire sideline.

Maryland's student section is first rows of nearly the entire lower bowl, and an entire endzone:

Which leads to scenes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtnE410-NBQ

talksalot

So... if you have ever read the old TORCH articles (I mean OLD, like 1925-era)... the basketball team (and football) were on the front page of every edition.  BUT about getting the crowd out... almost every home game was a double-header... game 1 was "Intramural"... where all of the scores were kept, rankings maintained and some real grudge matches appeared...These Intramural teams were college-based (Commerce vs. Engineers; Education vs. Preps)... and the Pharmics were a team with whom to be reckoned!

Now that might draw in a crowd...

valpo64

In the early 60's there were some prelim games.  They included freshman games(Frosh were not eligible for varsity play) vs. the same school the Varsity played, once a year the Intra-mural all-star team played the freshman team.   What about a women's game as a prelim?  Some years ago I recall our women's team played Indiana U(yes, the B-Town one) and we beat the daylights out of them.  It was fun to watch and our gals probably reacted to a larger crowd than they were used to.

NativeCheesehead

Don't think they can run women/men back to backs because of ESPN3.

talksalot

But couldn't the Intramurals have a game in Hilltop before the regular scheduled game in the ARC?   I was really surprised to see the 1925 The Gym Schedule had the intramural game starting at 7 and the 'varsity' game starting at 8... didn't leave a lot of time warm-ups.  But Valpo High played their games in The Gym (VHS-Crown Point is on one of the schedules; and they got to practice just like the intramurals.

VU2014

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on February 27, 2018, 03:10:08 PM
But couldn't the Intramurals have a game in Hilltop before the regular scheduled game in the ARC?   I was really surprised to see the 1925 The Gym Schedule had the intramural game starting at 7 and the 'varsity' game starting at 8... didn't leave a lot of time warm-ups.  But Valpo High played their games in The Gym (VHS-Crown Point is on one of the schedules; and they got to practice just like the intramurals.

Boucher Gym at Ben Franklin Middle School was a shared facility with Valpo U in the 20's at one point so that is not unlikely.

crusadermoe

Great stats and floor diagrams on Maryland etc.   That is helpful to know.   It certainly projects a better TV image to see lively students near the court. 

Maybe put the students behind our own guys at the far end section 10 people wide near the cheerleaders.   Then if you ever get the problem of an "overflow" open up the end sections again starting with the VU bench side.   

What am I missing?

covufan

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 27, 2018, 04:53:05 PMIt certainly projects a better TV image to see lively students near the court.

And if the students are standing, then people behind them will need to stand!

VULB#62

In some arenas, don't some student sections have no way to sit — i.e.  just standing platforms ?

VUBBFan

Moving the students behind the benches would be a mistake. These are the seats that are clearly viewed by the cameras. With the poor showing of the students, it would appear no one comes out to the games and besides we have been playing like 3 or 4 games a year while students are on break meaning there would be no one there. These are the seats people are willing to pay for. Why leave them empty?