• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Bring on a surprise Swedish 7'0" Center :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Has C. Mantis given any indication on when he will make his college choice?  Sure would love to see him in Brown & Gold.

VU2014

With Paul's comments I don't feel too confident. But you never know. He could be a big part of this program, imo.

https://twitter.com/appstatemania/status/1313856478772592645?s=21

Mantis will visit all of his finalists' campuses before he makes the final choice, even as NCAA COVID-19 restrictions prevent him from being officially hosted by any program through the remainder of 2020.
"As of now, once I get to see all of the schools, then I'll start making the decision.  In 3-4 weeks, I'll have seen all of the schools, and I'll probably make a decision within a couple of weeks after.  When I feel it, I'll be ready to commit."
There are key factors for Mantis to consider before he'll "feel it."

"Relationships with the coaches and players, and playing time being available right away.  Of course, I have to earn that playing time," Mantis said.

VU2014

Quote from: VU2014 on October 10, 2020, 12:32:10 PM
With Paul's comments I don't feel too confident. But you never know. He could be a big part of this program, imo.

Mantis will visit all of his finalists' campuses before he makes the final choice, even as NCAA COVID-19 restrictions prevent him from being officially hosted by any program through the remainder of 2020.
"As of now, once I get to see all of the schools, then I'll start making the decision.  In 3-4 weeks, I'll have seen all of the schools, and I'll probably make a decision within a couple of weeks after.  When I feel it, I'll be ready to commit."

"Relationships with the coaches and players, and playing time being available right away.  Of course, I have to earn that playing time," Mantis said.

Playing time as freshman will be a big influence on his decision. I think he could play as freshman at Valpo but it would depend how quickly he picks up the offense and could play defense to get big minutes as a freshman. But you really never know. Krikke and played huge minutes as freshman and you never would have thought that would be the case right away.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on October 10, 2020, 12:53:20 PM

Playing time as freshman will be a big influence on his decision. I think he could play as freshman at Valpo but it would depend how quickly he picks up the offense and could play defense to get big minutes as a freshman. But you really never know. Krikke and played huge minutes as freshman and you never would have thought that would be the case right away.

Valpo's last 3 recruiting classes are all talented. Next year's Class should be another good one. Trying to be as objective as I can, I don't foresee any obvious holes that a freshman could walk in here and fill. If immediate gratification is his goal, he might be better off going somewhere else.

VUGrad1314

I feel like our talent is getting to the MVC level. I just can't wait until we start competing for titles. I hope it's soon.

wh

Quote from: wh on October 10, 2020, 04:54:09 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 10, 2020, 12:53:20 PM

Valpo's last 3 recruiting classes are all talented. Next year's Class should be another good one. Trying to be as objective as I can, I don't foresee any obvious holes that a freshman could walk in here and fill. If immediate gratification is his goal, he might be better off going somewhere else.

I noticed that both Trey Woodyard and Nick Mantis were offered by Valpo and Appalachian State.  ASU only has 1 unfilled vacancy. Had Trey chosen APS over Valpo, Nick would have been locked out.   

GoVU

Oh man, either VU changed its name or maybe this recruit isn't too interested in our program...

Either way, Keyondre looks like a player with very high potential, probably will be getting some high major interest soon.

VUGrad1314

Should show you where things are with Mantis. If Mantis was going to commit to VU imminently I doubt they would be making any offers to recruits.

VU2014

There isn't enough info or tape to say if he's good or not, imo but I trust the coaching staff. From the 15 or so jump shots from videos I can see on the internet it looked like a nice jump shot with good length in his frame. Sounds like he had a good showing recently at game in front of Coaches.

VUGrad1314

You have to like that size at the two guard position too. He could create some matchup problems as either a big guard or a small ball 4 or even 5. I also love the shoutout from the coach calling Valpo a big time program. That makes me feel good that we have that kind of cachet with coaches on the recruiting circuit. Also although the results (outside of Arch Madness this past year) haven't really been there on the court I think this coaching staff has earned our trust from a recruiting standpoint and if they like a prospect then that's good enough for me and I like him too.

vu72

This whole recruiting thing is going to get really weird with players getting another year of eligibility.  What if McMillan or Robinson want to stay around another year? My guess is that anyone with pro potential will not want to stay but if we had a guy like Kiser, he might want to stay and pursue a masters.  It will get very interesting as we move along.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 27, 2020, 08:14:54 AM
This whole recruiting thing is going to get really weird with players getting another year of eligibility.  What if McMillan or Robinson want to stay around another year? My guess is that anyone with pro potential will not want to stay but if we had a guy like Kiser, he might want to stay and pursue a masters.  It will get very interesting as we move along.

Assuming we play essentially a full season this year, why would 4th year players get an extra year? Wasn't the NCAA considering that only if the season was cancelled?

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 09:39:53 AM

Assuming we play essentially a full season this year, why would 4th year players get an extra year? Wasn't the NCAA considering that only if the season was cancelled?

Every athlete in a winter sport is getting another year of eligibility, regardless of whether the season is played.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 27, 2020, 09:43:37 AM
Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 09:39:53 AM

Every athlete in a winter sport is getting another year of eligibility, regardless of whether the season is played.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes

From the article:

UConn women's coach Geno Auriemma said he thought a lot of his fellow coaches would object to the adjusted eligibility rule.

"I don't have to worry about -- I don't have any seniors," Auriemma said. "But I think you're going to have a lot of coaches that are going to go, 'You're putting me in a tough spot here.' Because now you're going to have some seniors go, 'Hey, I want to stay.' And then you've got a coach going, like, 'I wasn't planning on you staying.' Now what are you going to do -- turn the kid out?

"I don't like it. If you lose your season, I can see that. If you say, 'Hey, look, the fall sports guys, you lost your season. We'll give that back to you.' I can see that. That makes sense. But how are you going to let somebody play a whole season and then give them another year?"

Duh!

So, if Zion Morgan, Eron Gordon, Mileek McMillan and Nick Robinson decide to stay and play next year, we're going to have 17 scholarship players on one roster? What a cluster-f that will be, not to mention the extraordinary financial toll on the athletic budget. And for what? Myopic thinking on steroids.

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 09:39:53 AMAssuming we play essentially a full season this year, why would 4th year players get an extra year? Wasn't the NCAA considering that only if the season was cancelled?

There's zero chance that Valparaiso (or anyone for that matter) plays "essentially a full season this year."

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 10:20:07 AMAnd for what? Myopic thinking on steroids.

Look at the Wisconsin quarterback situation. Graham Mertz played in one game and then tested positive for COVID. He's out for the next 21 days. In basketball, if one player tests positive, the entire program is shelved for 14 days. Imagine if a VU player tests positive during the season. Now two weeks are gone. Imagine if an opponent tests positive. Now you've lost another competitive opportunity. This season is going to be a full scale scheduling disaster. The NCAA absolutely did the right thing by giving every player an additional year of eligibility. One coach not affiliated with the VU program said the other day that this season is being viewed as a "freebie."

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on October 27, 2020, 11:43:50 AM
Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 10:20:07 AMAnd for what? Myopic thinking on steroids.

Look at the Wisconsin quarterback situation. Graham Mertz played in one game and then tested positive for COVID. He's out for the next 21 days. In basketball, if one player tests positive, the entire program is shelved for 14 days. Imagine if a VU player tests positive during the season. Now two weeks are gone. Imagine if an opponent tests positive. Now you've lost another competitive opportunity. This season is going to be a full scale scheduling disaster. The NCAA absolutely did the right thing by giving every player an additional year of eligibility. One coach not affiliated with the VU program said the other day that this season is being viewed as a "freebie."
Quote from: Pgmado on October 27, 2020, 11:43:50 AM

So, is this how responsible adults decide things now? You either play the whole season or you get a do-over? Sounds like the people who decided this have the problem solving skills of a 10-year-old. So, what if we play all but 3 games? Do-over? How about all but 5? Do-over? Or all but 9? Do-over? Think about this. Under current NCAA rules, in order to get a medical redshirt a player has to miss 70% or more of scheduled games. Thus, if an injured player plays in only 8 games of a 25-game schedule, he doesn't get a do-over the next year. How do these 2 circumstances equate? Now, let's think 1 level below the surface (unintended consequences).  If, in my Valpo example, our 4 seniors come back next year, whatever minutes they play will be taken 1:1 from other players on the team. Players who would have been in next year's rotation won't be. Do they get do-overs, too? Why not? Why should you make up lost playing time to this year's players, but not next year's? They didn't sign up for the effects of COVID on their playing time anymore than this year's players did. Now let's go one more level below the surface, if we dare. A 17-man roster is totally untenable. With a typical 8 or 9 man rotation, that means 8 or 9 players will be relegated to the end of bench for the whole season. Tony Robbins couldn't keep that group motivated.

I can't believe we're having this conversation.

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 01:25:11 PMSo, is this how responsible adults decide things now? You either play the whole season or you get a do-over? Sounds like the people who decided this have the problem solving skills of a 10-year-old. So, what if we play all but 3 games? Do-over? How about all but 5? Do-over? Or all but 9? Do-over? Think about this. Under current NCAA rules, in order to get a medical redshirt a player has to miss 70% or more of scheduled games. Thus, if an injured player plays in only 8 games of a 25-game schedule, he doesn't get a do-over the next year. How do these 2 circumstances equate? Now, let's think 1 level below the surface (unintended consequences).  If, in my Valpo example, our 4 seniors come back next year, whatever minutes they play will be taken 1:1 from other players on the team. Players who would have been in next year's rotation won't be. Do they get do-overs, too? Why not? Why should you make up lost playing time to this year's players, but not next year's? They didn't sign up for the effects of COVID on their playing time anymore than this year's players did. Now let's go one more level below the surface, if we dare. A 17-man roster is totally untenable. With a typical 8 or 9 man rotation, that means 8 or 9 players will be relegated to the end of bench for the whole season. Tony Robbins couldn't keep that group motivated.

Every single player is getting an additional year, not just seniors. So players that would've been in next season's rotation would have the same amount of time they'd normally have the following season. As for your 17-man roster, that's exactly the amount of players have right now. From what I understand, the NCAA is going to expand scholarship limits for one year next season and then it will be back to normal the following year. The group that will be most impacted by this will be high school juniors. There's also a big IF. Do these players even want to come back for an extra year. Zion, Eron and Nick would be in their sixth year of college. Mileek has a pro future. Most of these guys can make at least some money playing overseas. Perhaps they want to start that clock as soon as possible.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on October 27, 2020, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 01:25:11 PMSo, is this how responsible adults decide things now? You either play the whole season or you get a do-over? Sounds like the people who decided this have the problem solving skills of a 10-year-old. So, what if we play all but 3 games? Do-over? How about all but 5? Do-over? Or all but 9? Do-over? Think about this. Under current NCAA rules, in order to get a medical redshirt a player has to miss 70% or more of scheduled games. Thus, if an injured player plays in only 8 games of a 25-game schedule, he doesn't get a do-over the next year. How do these 2 circumstances equate? Now, let's think 1 level below the surface (unintended consequences).  If, in my Valpo example, our 4 seniors come back next year, whatever minutes they play will be taken 1:1 from other players on the team. Players who would have been in next year's rotation won't be. Do they get do-overs, too? Why not? Why should you make up lost playing time to this year's players, but not next year's? They didn't sign up for the effects of COVID on their playing time anymore than this year's players did. Now let's go one more level below the surface, if we dare. A 17-man roster is totally untenable. With a typical 8 or 9 man rotation, that means 8 or 9 players will be relegated to the end of bench for the whole season. Tony Robbins couldn't keep that group motivated.

Every single player is getting an additional year, not just seniors. So players that would've been in next season's rotation would have the same amount of time they'd normally have the following season. As for your 17-man roster, that's exactly the amount of players have right now. From what I understand, the NCAA is going to expand scholarship limits for one year next season and then it will be back to normal the following year. The group that will be most impacted by this will be high school juniors. There's also a big IF. Do these players even want to come back for an extra year. Zion, Eron and Nick would be in their sixth year of college. Mileek has a pro future. Most of these guys can make at least some money playing overseas. Perhaps they want to start that clock as soon as possible.

Apples and oranges. The 17-man roster you're referring to this year includes 4 non-scholarship players who don't expect to get playing time. What I called "untenable" is 17 players on full scholarships fighting for playing time. To your point, if our 4 non-scholarship players also choose to return next year, we will have a 21-man roster. Talk about herding cats. To your point that every player on the roster will be given an extra year, that only compounds the problem. Teams will be dealing with inflated rosters and the added burden on athletic department budgets for 4 years instead of 1. And again, back to the most egregious error, a promise has been made to give players an extra year of eligibility before even knowing to what extent this season will be affected. Anyway you try to spin it, that's just plain dumb with a capital D.  This sounds eerily similar in the level of irresponsibility to Congress passing legislation that gave most every adult in the country a free $1200 and $500 for their kids, whether they suffered a job or hours loss, or didn't. I can personally attest to a boatload of friends and relatives who received checks who hadn't lost a penny due to COVID. What a country.     

vu84v2

I am not looking to take one side or the other in this argument (you both have some good points), but I will suggest that we have some data on what might happen. Athletes who did not get to play in the Spring were granted an extra year. From my perspective (albeit at a single university), it seems that about one-third of the student-athletes decided to stay for another year. The majority just wanted to get on with the next steps in their lives.

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 04:41:08 PMThis sounds eerily similar in the level of irresponsibility to Congress passing legislation that gave most every adult in the country a free $1200 and $500 for their kids, whether they suffered a job or hours loss, or didn't. I can personally attest to a boatload of friends and relatives who received checks who hadn't lost a penny due to COVID. What a country.   

I don't disagree with you there. I took the money I was given and bought this very laptop that I'm typing this on. The leftover money I donated to the Biden campaign. It felt like the right thing to do!

VU2014

A program out there will land a diamond in the rough. There are always late bloomers who get noticed late in HS season and up their stock. Not sure who it is but always seem to be a couple from the State of Illinois.

The strange thing is the state government had no issue allowing AAU basketball with no masks or testing this Summer but they won't allow the HS sports to be played. Maybe it's a liability issue but it was surprised they allowed AAU games to be played.

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1321201735852040193?s=21