• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2018-19

Started by VU2014, April 13, 2018, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Missouri State declared a winner of transfer season by Mid-Major Madness. Honestly, I think the entire conference could be considered winners. There's been  a major inflow of transfer talent throughout the conference.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/7/16/17574052/lets-declare-some-winners-and-losers-from-transfer-season-albany-missouri-state-south-alabama

VUGrad1314

Illinois State's Elijah Clarance is kicking some major backside in this U20 tournament. Could be one of many players to watch for the Redbirds next year. Those averages are impressive.

https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/7/21/mens-basketball-clarances-double-double-paces-sweden-past-romania.aspx?path=mbball

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on July 17, 2018, 02:36:24 PMMSU           26.6%
Quote from: vu72 on July 17, 2018, 02:36:24 PM3. Missouri St. - 4,517 (41%). There is nothing else to do in town.

I hear the duck boats at Table Rock Lake near Branson which are normally very popular have a lot of empty seats. Too soon?

Boy, that Indy lady who works in the Marion County prosecutors office and lost 9 members of her family in the duck boat accident, including her husband and 3 children, that is a hard interview to watch. So sad!

zvillehaze

Quote from: bbtds on July 22, 2018, 11:37:16 AM
I hear the duck boats at Table Rock Lake near Branson which are normally very popular have a lot of empty seats. Too soon?

10 years from now would be too soon, IMO. 

VUGrad1314

Loyola's Clayton Custer listed as the #5 mid-major PG in the nation. Jordan Barnes (Indiana State) and Keyshawn Evans (Illinois State) receive honorable mention.

https://cbbcentral.com/2018/07/23/top-ten-mid-major-players-by-position-point-guard/

VUGrad1314

Good article from Father Harry on Drake, Missouri State, and Evansville

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/3-coaches-rebuilding-rosters/

VUGrad1314

Per MVC Fans:

UNI will play South Dakota State and Drake will play North Dakota State. Both games will be in Minneapolis on December 1. UNI will also be hosting Stony Brook on December 29.

oklahomamick

A mini MVC/SL challenge.  MSP is a cool city and probably has a lot of Dakota school's alumni.  Whats the venue?
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on July 24, 2018, 04:13:04 PM
A mini MVC/SL challenge.  MSP is a cool city and probably has a lot of Dakota school's alumni.  Whats the venue?

US Bank Stadium, site of the Final 4

VULB#62

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 25, 2018, 05:16:27 AM

Isn't that a bit of overkill for a regular season matchup?  Even if they get 10,000 in there it'll be empty.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 25, 2018, 08:56:36 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 25, 2018, 05:16:27 AM

Isn't that a bit of overkill for a regular season matchup?  Even if they get 10,000 in there it'll be empty.

They want to host a handful of games to prepare for the Final 4. Minnesota will also be playing Oklahoma State there this season.

VUGrad1314

Valpo is getting a lot of love on the SIU board. I hope they're right. Multiple posters there think we'll be top 3 this year and are pointing to the team's growth and maturity down the stretch as well as their sheer size as major reasons why.

https://saluki-insider.com/index.php/community/mbb-mbb/mvc-predictions/paged/2/#post-2576

Also it appears that Illinois State will release its nonconference schedule tomorrow and it promises to be a doozy. But it appears that they won't be playing VCU although I saw some rumors that they were.

VUGrad1314

Redbird Guard Elijah Clarence is foregoing his final three years of eligibility to turn pro following his strong showing for Sweden in the U20 Championships. This will be a blow to their second unit and long-term.

https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/7/30/mens-basketball-elijah-clarance-to-turn-professional.aspx

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 30, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
Redbird Guard Elijah Clarence is foregoing his final three years of eligibility to turn pro following his strong showing for Sweden in the U20 Championships. This will be a blow to their second unit and long-term.

https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/7/30/mens-basketball-elijah-clarance-to-turn-professional.aspx

He was an outstanding talent and that is a big blow immediately.  Because I'd rather see a strong MVC across the board, this is a gut punch.  Seems like many European players are more interested in pay days than college degrees.  Fair or not, that is my observation from our experience having nearly zero domestic players go pro early but numerous European / internationals do that.  Samuel Haanpaa is one that comes to mind but I feel like there were more.

Throw in our transfer we bid for last year (New Zealand) who went out west and then turned pro.  Just seems like there is more enthusiasm for non-NBA pro ball with internationals?  Maybe it's because most domestic players think it's NBA or bust?

VUGrad1314

I don't think you can discount the role of homesickness as a factor either.

Option A: Go home and get paid right now and work my way up to better leagues while I develop against professionals   Option B: Stay in America play for free and maybe get a better offer later while playing against people my own age which means I may not develop as fast.

Can't blame them for leaving. They can get the degree later.

I have no doubt that your statement on the thought processes of international players vs Americans Internationals have seen these leagues they've grown up in these leagues. They have a knowledge and a perspective on these leagues that most Americans don't. If it weren't for me being a Valpo fan I wouldn't even know that some of these countries even have professional leagues and I have family in Europe and have been there multiple times. Of course an American is more likely to think NBA or bust because that's the league we know and we're constantly told it's the best so joining any other league is a bit of a failure if you always dreamed of the NBA. Not only are the other leagues a chance for these guys to go home and get paid it's also a chance for them to be a star and a hero to their countrymen. They can build a brand and reach people in ways that wouldn't be possible playing on an American college team or even in the NBA.

VU2014

Wow that is a crushing loss for the redbirds. He was really looking good in that u20 tournament. I'm sure some agents were in his ear on this decision. ISUr should still be strong this upcoming season but really hurts. He was going to be a big part of their future. ISUr has had some extremely tough luck with transfers and then now this. Muller has a eye for talent but he may not be taking into account commitment to the program in his recruitment of kids.

valpo84

ISUr's schedule is very good on paper and also they are good mid-major matchups.  The issue with RPI and NCAA review is that if that (looking at the schedule) results in 8-5, 7-6 or at best 9-4 coupled with a 10-8 or 11-7 conference record, then you are still on the outside looking in.  They will get no credit for playing a tough pre-season schedule unless they bring home 10 preconference wins plus 12 or more conference wins. Unfair, yes; but reality.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUGrad1314

I figured if healthy they could win 10 or 11 nonconference games but there are some big strikes against that now:

Abdou N'Diaye one of their prized freshman recruits may not be academically eligible

Elijah Clarance turned pro

And (I just read on MVC Fans) Tinsley Chastain and Fayne have all undergone knee surgery this offseason. Hopefully they'll all be able to  start the year healthy; otherwise, their at-large chances will have taken a massive hit before the season even begins.

VULB#62

What an atmospheric change on this board from two years ago. Back then, the mood was darkness, frustration and disgust towards our league.  There was, in particular, specific shade thown at individual conference teams, coaches , players and league related personalities. There was no esprit de corp (sp?) by HL teams and that included Valpo (maybe even less of it due to perceived slights).  There wasn't even a viable HL board for goodness sakes. Nobody cared about each other.

Compare that to just the last few posts here. I see genuine concern for an opposing program because we all realize we (Valpo) are part of a larger whole and as our MVC comrades  go, so do we. I'm kinda proud of how far we have progressed in so short a time.  :thumbsup:

I'm reminded of the movie Ice Age:  "It's what you do in a herd."  (Cue someone good with Videos or pics to throw in one here).  ;D

VUGrad1314

SIU gets in-season home and home with Buffalo. Sweet get. Barry might finally be understanding the virtues of better scheduling. This is a good year for them to go for it.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

Rumor has it that UNI is working to  finalize a home and home with Missouri starting in Columbia. In the MVC things like this are possible it seems. Now it's up to Valpo to get stuff like this done.

VULB#62

Is there such a thing as a reverse buy game?  By that I mean, to encourage a H&H series with a P5, we go there first and get the visitors cut of the gate (nothing great in terms of a payoff).  Then the PF opponent comes to Valpo and they take home Valpo's home share of the gate (or even the entire gate after expenses).  I know it's pocket change to these guys, but $$$$ is $$$$.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 01, 2018, 06:40:56 PM
Is there such a thing as a reverse buy game?  By that I mean, to encourage a H&H series with a P5, we go there first and get the visitors cut of the gate (nothing great in terms of a payoff).  Then the PF opponent comes to Valpo and they take home Valpo's home share of the gate (or even the entire gate after expenses).  I know it's pocket change to these guys, but $$$$ is $$$$.

Creative idea, but in this dollars and cents world I don't see how the mid-major would ever give up the gate revenue even if the environment it would create through increased attendance  might lead to a valuable win.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 31, 2018, 07:00:35 PMWhat an atmospheric change on this board from two years ago. Back then, the mood was darkness, frustration and disgust towards our league.  There was, in particular, specific shade thown at individual conference teams, coaches , players and league related personalities. There was no esprit de corp (sp?) by HL teams and that included Valpo (maybe even less of it due to perceived slights).  There wasn't even a viable HL board for goodness sakes. Nobody cared about each other. Compare that to just the last few posts here. I see genuine concern for an opposing program because we all realize we (Valpo) are part of a larger whole and as our MVC comrades  go, so do we. I'm kinda proud of how far we have progressed in so short a time.  :thumbsup: I'm reminded of the movie Ice Age:  "It's what you do in a herd."  (Cue someone good with Videos or pics to throw in one here).  ;D

I can answer that: I think there are several reasons why this is true: First, when a team  dominates a league to the  extent that  Butler (9 regular season titles in 12 years from 2000-2011 or Valpo (5 titles in 6 years 2012-2017) dominated the Horizon League or Wichita State (5 titles in 6 years from 2012-2017) dominated the MVC it can create resentment on both sides between the dominant team and the rest of the league which can lead to fracturing. With no new dominant team established yet, it stands to reason that group cohesion will reign until such a program emerges. Another reason is that the fanbase is excited to be in a new, more prestigious conference with several schools we haven't played consistently or even at all in years--even decades. We haven't developed a rival yet. That should and will change. We are also now in a conference full of schools more similar to ours both on and off the court who are committed to excellence in both arenas. I think there's more respect for the pedigree and traditions of the MVC members as well there should be. Also, we haven't proven anything in the MVC yet. Plus, I think MVC membership has given our program new energy and life not only by giving us a chance to theoretically snag an at-large bid but also by showing us what is possible with Loyola's stunning transition from HL afterthought and also-ran to MVC top dog and tournament giant-killer. That also showed the strength and resiliency of the conference.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 01, 2018, 08:12:12 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 31, 2018, 07:00:35 PMWhat an atmospheric change on this board from two years ago. Back then, the mood was darkness, frustration and disgust towards our league.  There was, in particular, specific shade thown at individual conference teams, coaches , players and league related personalities. There was no esprit de corp (sp?) by HL teams and that included Valpo (maybe even less of it due to perceived slights).  There wasn't even a viable HL board for goodness sakes. Nobody cared about each other. Compare that to just the last few posts here. I see genuine concern for an opposing program because we all realize we (Valpo) are part of a larger whole and as our MVC comrades  go, so do we. I'm kinda proud of how far we have progressed in so short a time.  :thumbsup: I'm reminded of the movie Ice Age:  "It's what you do in a herd."  (Cue someone good with Videos or pics to throw in one here).  ;D

I can answer that: I think there are several reasons why this is true: First, when a team  dominates a league to the  extent that  Butler (9 regular season titles in 12 years from 2000-2011 or Valpo (5 titles in 6 years 2012-2017) dominated the Horizon League or Wichita State (5 titles in 6 years from 2012-2017) dominated the MVC it can create resentment on both sides between the dominant team and the rest of the league which can lead to fracturing. With no new dominant team established yet, it stands to reason that group cohesion will reign until such a program emerges. Another reason is that the fanbase is excited to be in a new, more prestigious conference with several schools we haven't played consistently or even at all in years--even decades. We haven't developed a rival yet. That should and will change. We are also now in a conference full of schools more similar to ours both on and off the court who are committed to excellence in both arenas. I think there's more respect for the pedigree and traditions of the MVC members as well there should be. Also, we haven't proven anything in the MVC yet. Plus, I think MVC membership has given our program new energy and life not only by giving us a chance to theoretically snag an at-large bid but also by showing us what is possible with Loyola's stunning transition from HL afterthought and also-ran to MVC top dog and tournament giant-killer. That also showed the strength and resiliency of the conference.

Well said, and I would add....give it time!!!  If there's one thing humans excel at it's complaining!  We just have to study out intended targets better for several years yet.